Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I bought another raspberry pi (B+ this time) last week and it was $39.99 for a bundle with a clear case on amazon. That same bundle is now $33.99, which seems like a good deal when the regular price for just the B+ is still $34.99 usually:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LAA91R2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

I was looking at the Ultimate Starter Kit. Even though I don't need the extra LEDs and resistors still seems worth it.

EDIT: Or this one, which has a slightly less flimsy looking case.

xilni fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 20, 2015

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

JazzmasterCurious posted:

Apple ... interoperable

lol

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
So apparently the Raspberry Pi 2 is announced.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/02/02/raspberry_pi_model_2/

Anyone able to comment on what the hardware would enable? Shouldn't some form of Android be possible now? It has brand recognition but I think there are quite a few competitors out there at the same price range that are comparable or better.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 2, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

YouTuber posted:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/02/02/raspberry_pi_model_2/

Anyone able to comment on what the hardware would enable? Shouldn't some form of Android be possible now? It has brand recognition but I think there are quite a few competitors out there at the same price range that are comparable or better.

Even though it's quad core, the 900 mhz standard clock might be a bit poky. But this is upgrading it from a 2006 smartphone to a lower end 2013 smartphone, which means it'll be a lot more powerful and will certainly run Android very well, especially if you give it a bit of an overclock.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Well you have the ODROID-C1 out there and that has a 1.5Ghz Quad Core attached to it at the same price point. I'm not sure why you would grab a Pi2 outside of the community. The Pi2 uses the same GPU as the original so there is no improvement on that front.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Having a reliable distro (something the Beaglebone Black lacked until about March '14) and a wide variety of plug'n'play "hat"s with a good driver base is about 90% of what people are looking for I think. Arduino is still king of the lowest-end microcontrollers despite about a bajillion competing devices with both better specs and at a lower price point, based on the same ideals of good SDK and supported hardware add-ons. It's really, really nice to have google results show up for whatever error you're getting on the Pi, vs the random chinese knockoff board of the week.

Probably going to pick up one of these B+ to use as a dedicated VPN server.

1GB RAM is tits though, they're going to bury the Beaglebone Black now, along with the long-delayed Arduino Tre. All they need now is Cloud9 prepackaged, running on port 81 and they're golden.

Oh, random sidenote, on the A+ with the edimax usb wifi nub, I see about 130mA draw, although it will spike to about 250-280mA shortly after boot. Once it boots it will happily respond to pings and SSH sessions powered from of a 250mA-rated 5v solar panel (just barely larger than a playing card), just don't try anything CPU intensive. I think with an ultracap wired inline I could probably get it solar powered.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 2, 2015

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

YouTuber posted:

Some more details.. Including:

quote:

WINDOWS 10

For the last six months we’ve been working closely with Microsoft to bring the forthcoming Windows 10 to Raspberry Pi 2. Microsoft will have much more to share over the coming months. The Raspberry Pi 2-compatible version of Windows 10 will be available free of charge to makers.

Visit WindowsOnDevices.com today to join the Windows Developer Program for IoT and receive updates as they become available.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

YouTuber posted:

Well you have the ODROID-C1 out there and that has a 1.5Ghz Quad Core attached to it at the same price point. I'm not sure why you would grab a Pi2 outside of the community. The Pi2 uses the same GPU as the original so there is no improvement on that front.

People will get it "for the community" and then bitch and moan that when they solely use it as a media server that it's laggy at times :v:

Also I'd like more info on its processor type and RAM type but I guess they're keeping mum about it.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

I'm another who is "meh" regarding the Pi2.

I've transitioned from the Pi to Arduino and ESP8266 for embedded work, and for a media player I'm using a SFF PC that's more powerful than "nano" sized devices.

If I did want Nano I'd go for the clone market.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Haquer posted:

People will get it "for the community" and then bitch and moan that when they solely use it as a media server that it's laggy at times :v:

Also I'd like more info on its processor type and RAM type but I guess they're keeping mum about it.

Ars has some pretty detailed specs up.

Ars Technica posted:

SoC: Broadcom BCM2836 (CPU, GPU, DSP, SDRAM)
CPU: 900 MHz quad-core ARM Cortex A7 (ARMv7 instruction set)
GPU: Broadcom VideoCore IV @ 250 MHz
More GPU info: OpenGL ES 2.0 (24 GFLOPS); 1080p30 MPEG-2 and VC-1 decoder (with license); ​1080p30 h.264/MPEG-4 AVC high-profile decoder and encoder
Memory: 1 GB (shared with GPU)
USB ports: 4
Video input: 15-pin MIPI camera interface (CSI) connector
Video outputs: HDMI, composite video (PAL and NTSC) via 3.5 mm jack
Audio input: I²S
Audio outputs: Analog via 3.5 mm jack; digital via HDMI and I²S
Storage: MicroSD
Network: 10/100Mbps Ethernet
Peripherals: 17 GPIO plus specific functions, and HAT ID bus
Power rating: 800 mA (4.0 W)
Power source: 5 V via MicroUSB or GPIO header
Size: 85.60mm × 56.5mm
Weight: 45g (1.6 oz)

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

mayodreams posted:

Ars has some pretty detailed specs up.

Thanks. By the looks of it I'll definitely stick with my C1.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Is that arm7 bit correct? The other article said arm6.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

YouTuber posted:

Everything I've seen says Arm7. I'm trying to order one and it seems that Element14's site is hammered.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

YouTuber posted:

I'm unsure if any newer Arm Cortex chips are arm6. It would be awful to kill performance on their new boards just to keep backwards compatibility with the RPI B boards.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I don't believe ARMv6 has native support for quad core-single chip systems, so it'd be doubtful they could produce an "ARMv6" compatible chip that was quad core.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

It's definitely ARMv7. The announcement post on their website has it in bold.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Good thing I stocked up on multiple Raspberry Pi B+ models.

I guess I need to hurry up and finish projects. I can leave the old B+ models "dedicated" to the projects, then pick up a new RPi2 to play on.

Yes, the ARMv7 confirmation means I'm definitely getting one. The device being opened up to Ubuntu, Android, and Windows is a big plus.

As for my old models?

Project 1:
MAME device for use with my X-Arcade joystick.
Super-slick interface and perfect emulation of classics like Donkey Kong, Ms. Pac-Man, etc.
I want to be able to connect it to a TV and play.

Project 2:
Unknown car thing, maybe semi-open media player.
I have a WiFi AP working. Anyone in the car can freely connect to its hotspot and view the Pi's website.
I was hoping to have some sort of web control over media. I figured that this would be easier than people trying to sync Bluetooth to my car.
I paid for the mpeg2 and vc1 decoders to make sure it supports the most stuff. I might purchase the addon Sound board to ensure perfect audio.

Project 3:
Unknown car thing, maybe multi-game emulation. I have an 8" display in my car. Pulling out a PS3 controller to have a ton of games would be wild.

I want a better shutdown mechanism. It seems like the only options are to cut power or issue shutdown remotely or via special switch.

I'd like to see some sort of simple rechargeable battery or capacitor that would hold enough of a charge that when power was cut it would stay running long enough for the device to be sent a shutdown command. Like, something detects the loss of power and shutdowns. No instant shutoff, and no need for someone to physically push a button or type a command.

Is there something like that?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
If I'm looking to pick one of these up for the first time, should I go with the Pi 2, or one of the competitors? If it's not the Pi2, which do you recommend? I'm probably going to be running a web application server for personal use.

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 3, 2015

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Super Dude posted:

If I'm looking to pick one of these up for the first time, should I go with the Pi 2, or one of the competitors? If it's not the Pi2, which do you recommend? I'm probably going to be running a web application server for personal use.

The odroid C1 is more powerful than the Pi2 for the same price. The community is smaller but it's growing and the devs are drat good at giving out all the source they can and giving support.

Else if you care about a more established community go for a Pi model.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah a "developed community" doesn't really exist for the Pi 2 yet and won't for some time after release. Many things will need significant work done to take advantage of the hardware and instruction set changes.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah a "developed community" doesn't really exist for the Pi 2 yet and won't for some time after release.
Judging by the number of times Element14's website crashed today from people hammering it trying to buy RPi2s, it probably won't take all that long.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

They were on track to do 4 million units shipped in October, 5 million by end of year 2015 is a reasonable assumption. That's about $60 million a year in revenue for a company with less than 200 employees. Even if only one in a hundred Pi get plugged in and the owner mentions it to a friend, that's an incredible amount of word of mouth, well past the critical mass needed. The Odroid stuff is probably faster, but by how much? 3%? 8%? Being able to Google the answer to your problem instantly is worth a lot to most users.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah a "developed community" doesn't really exist for the Pi 2 yet and won't for some time after release. Many things will need significant work done to take advantage of the hardware and instruction set changes.

Ehhh most Pi stuff should still work. Very little code is out there that won't just work with a recompile, and even then most Pi tutorials show you how to download and build the code from scratch anyways.

Stuff that might break are tutorials that say "grab this .deb file and install it, trust me it works *wink* *wink*".

konna
Aug 1, 2005

Wait, is running Labview on RPi 2 B possible?

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Hadlock posted:

The Odroid stuff is probably faster, but by how much? 3%? 8%? Being able to Google the answer to your problem instantly is worth a lot to most users.

4x 1.5ghz A5 clock (C1) vs 4x 900mhz A7 clock (Pi) (C1 will still easily outperform CPU wise)
The GPU is the exact same Videocore GPU @ 250mhz as the first PI, while the C1 as 2x Mali GPU @ 450mhz (seriously a disgusting GPU)
Also the C1 has true gigabit internet rather than what the Pi did on the first models which was 100mbit through a USB port equivalent IIRC, no clue if that's changed on the Pi2.

Also the devs are constantly on the ball helping solve both software and hardware issues with regards to what they put out, and users are already making projects. One guy for instance has an image he keeps up to date with all kinds of emulators to make odroid products into gamestations.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

konna posted:

Wait, is running Labview on RPi 2 B possible?

Don't see how--I assume Labview for Linux is just supplied as some x86 binary.

konna
Aug 1, 2005

Slanderer posted:

I guess they want people to shell out stacks of cash for their compactRIO etc... products.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Slanderer posted:

This reminds me, I wonder if them touting Windows 10 coming to the platform is going to bite them in the rear end when they get refunds from morons with the complaint "wtf it won't run my .exe".

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Haquer posted:

This reminds me, I wonder if them touting Windows 10 coming to the platform is going to bite them in the rear end when they get refunds from morons with the complaint "wtf it won't run my .exe".

Depends. If they're used to using Surface - which has the same processor architecture as Pi2 - then it should be relatively painless.

This doesn't of course stop stupid people from being stupid.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Rexroom posted:

Depends. If they're used to using Surface - which has the same processor architecture as Pi2 - then it should be relatively painless.

This doesn't of course stop stupid people from being stupid.

I was reading around and the PI isn't even getting the Windows RT version surface has, and as of the last patchnotes they don't even have .NET or C# working for it.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Haquer posted:

I was reading around and the PI isn't even getting the Windows RT version surface has, and as of the last patchnotes they don't even have .NET or C# working for it.

I think I read Surface is going to get the Windows 10 upgrade anyway, so... something something. Anyway, with the official thumbs up from Microsoft, me thinks Pi2 is going to get support from them. The quality of that support is something yet to be seen.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

konna posted:

I guess they want people to shell out stacks of cash for their compactRIO etc... products.

I mean, sure they do, but that's not really the issue here. The cRio stuff looks to be controllers with either an Intel Atom (x86) + FPGA running a custom real-time distro of Linux, or a less powerful micro + FPGA running a version of the VxWorks RTOS. Both of these things are wildly different from a standard install of Debian on the Raspberry Pi. This is really no different than wondering if LabView will run on your phone, or a spare router, or your cable box----sure, it technically could, if it was ported over and built for that specific mobile OS or embedded platform.

If there was enough interest, they might be able to build standard LabView for the Raspberry Pi without to much difficulty (and still supply it as a binary), but in my experience LabView is terrible written bloated garbage that would probably cripple the RPi.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I want to transfer files to a RPi over UART. On the other end is a C# application on x86/Windows. I'm thinking of writing the RPi side in Python, easier integration with the file's consumers.

On a scale of 1 to -0, how many endianness headaches am I going to hit? Am I better off sticking with C and kicking out system calls to interface with the Python stuff?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Check out the Python struct module in the standard library, it's basically a swiss army knife for interpreting binary data. You can handle big, little, etc. endian easily with it.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Slanderer posted:

This is really no different than wondering if LabView will run on your phone, or a spare router, or your cable box----sure, it technically could, if it was ported over and built for that specific mobile OS or embedded platform.

If there was enough interest, they might be able to build standard LabView for the Raspberry Pi without to much difficulty (and still supply it as a binary), but in my experience LabView is terrible written bloated garbage that would probably cripple the RPi.

This is interesting because LabView is evidently still in use on Mac II and Quadra (68020-68040) hardware. (How else could one explain the price of NuBus GPIB & data acquisition cards on eBay?)

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Haquer posted:

I thought it was free for makers (non commercial folks that sign restrictive licenses) on the Pi?

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I thought it was free for makers (non commercial folks that sign restrictive licenses) on the Pi?

I meant refunds for the Pi, not Windows

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Haquer posted:

Nothing is getting Windows RT ever again. Windows RT is basically dead.

On an unrelated note, I was so ready to upgrade to an o-droid but now I just don't know. I know the o-droid is technically faster and has a lot of support, but the Pi 2 is just making me take some time to rethink this until I've seen exactly what's up when the dust settles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

BrainDance posted:

Nothing is getting Windows RT ever again. Windows RT is basically dead.

On an unrelated note, I was so ready to upgrade to an o-droid but now I just don't know. I know the o-droid is technically faster and has a lot of support, but the Pi 2 is just making me take some time to rethink this until I've seen exactly what's up when the dust settles.

If you don't need it *right now*, I say just wait for the Pi2 to launch and give it a couple months to see how things are transitioning over. Most projects for the Pi are compiled from source so they should move over cleanly from arm6 to arm7.