Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Diviance posted:

I have no idea. It merely looks like that is where they are trying to head, though I would prefer they both exist with full functionality and switch between them in tablet/desktop mode.

I have no issue with the concept of a Surface-mode settings app. I DO have issue that they're segregating useful stuff in desktop mode and that stuff that ships with Windows in desktop mode (except for desktop mode itself, for now) isn't necessarily on deathwatch, but is certainly an afterthought at this point. Custom DNS settings is just a personally meaningful example.

And considering how much poo poo carriers would throw if users could set their own DNS servers (see every cell phone ever) I don't exactly have faith they'll add it back to Surface-mode settings.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Implied Consent
Jul 6, 2006
:cry:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

And considering how much poo poo carriers would throw if users could set their own DNS servers (see every cell phone ever) I don't exactly have faith they'll add it back to Surface-mode settings.

You can set your DNS server for WiFi on phones already.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
It's pretty much the same goddamn UI reimplemented in WinRT. The only thing it doesn't do currently is letting you select which ones to install, a feature which I'm sure is coming in one of the upcoming builds. So ignoring that small flaw, I don't see the goddamn issue. Who's going to complain that the old Win32 calc.exe is WinRT now?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

It's pretty much the same goddamn UI reimplemented in WinRT.

It's change for change's sake and I would say a worse UI for the devices that 99% of people are actually using Windows on.

Change is not a bad thing but it should always be done for a reason (and no, some daft tablet strategy does not count as a reason to change a desktop OS)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

dissss posted:

It's change for change's sake and I would say a worse UI for the devices that 99% of people are actually using Windows on.
Before people were complaining about mixed UI styles, when they've introduced the WinRT stuff. Now when they're fixing it, by implementing the same UI with an updated visual style, people complain again. And I don't see how it's worse, especially when it's not done yet. The core complaint is just that it's in a different place. You're using a preview of something still in development. It isn't even beta.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Combat Pretzel posted:

Before people were complaining about mixed UI styles, when they've introduced the WinRT stuff. Now when they're fixing it, by implementing the same UI with an updated visual style, people complain again. And I don't see how it's worse, especially when it's not done yet. The core complaint is just that it's in a different place. You're using a preview of something still in development. It isn't even beta.

I don't care what it looks like, but it all needs to be in the same place. They've had years to do this.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Sir Unimaginative posted:

I have no issue with the concept of a Surface-mode settings app. I DO have issue that they're segregating useful stuff in desktop mode and that stuff that ships with Windows in desktop mode (except for desktop mode itself, for now) isn't necessarily on deathwatch, but is certainly an afterthought at this point. Custom DNS settings is just a personally meaningful example.
Yeah, this, more or less. Bluetooth settings got massacred going from 7 to 8.1.

There was one place with everything BT related and now it's: send a file (explorer), BT network (devices and printers in control panel), switch on/off (device manager, though I can find screenshots showing it in PC settings for other people), manually disconnect/reconnect BT audio devices (gone, I think), initiate browse remote device (gone?), BT visibility (control panel or simply access BT settings in PC settings), add or remove BT device (PC settings only). With then only some of that doubled up in the tray icon context menu for some reason.

Haven't looked at Win 10 yet, but I doubt a lot of the more advanced stuff is coming back to one place.

Would not have cared one bit if it had literally been, like, the same poo poo in a different dress.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I don't care what it looks like, but it all needs to be in the same place. They've had years to do this.
And it looks like Windows 10 might actually make it. In Windows 8/8.1, it was merely a token effort for the tablet users. However, there's so much stacked poo poo from several generations of Windows, that offers configuration options, it'll take a while to consolidate. Doesn't help that Microsoft still wants to maintain backwards compatibility at all costs. I'm surprised they don't start to make use of Hyper-V, since it's shipping in the client. 2-3 more gigabytes of diskspace for a lean virtualized legacy Windows version to run the stupid poo poo apps on may actually be worth it. Like that they can start applying a pick axe to the system.

--edit: One has to remember that the old control panel is essentially nothing more than another start menu, except it lists applications that configure some poo poo in the system. All of those have to be rewritten.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jan 25, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have no idea what they've done to make rendering the search results so slow but I really hope they fix it before it ships.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

The core complaint is just that it's in a different place.

No, the core complaint is they're shuffling the settings menu again for absolutely no reason.

Combat Pretzel posted:

You're using a preview of something still in development. It isn't even beta.

The point of the preview is to get feedback on the direction they are going. This latest change is going completely in the wrong direction.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

I'm stuck having to use IE for work - anyone know of any way to get zoom on hover or mouse-over in IE11? Chrome and FF have a dozen plugins which will do this, but I can't find anything for IE. I remember there used to be an MS sanctioned powertoy that would do this, but that was like 6 versions back.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

dissss posted:

No, the core complaint is they're shuffling the settings menu again for absolutely no reason.

Which is saying the same thing. Although I would be quite happy to see a brand new better organised songs hub.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

New music app is coming at some point. They showed one off, and while it looked hard to identify specific UI elements in the stream, it seems to look more like the old Zune app again.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

I've never done that before..

I hope you got sorted, if not, here's the phone activation routine:

Microsoft posted:

Activate using the telephone

If Windows isn't able to activate online, you'll have the option to activate Windows 7 using an automated phone system.

Open Windows Activation by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, right-clicking Computer, clicking Properties, and then clicking Activate Windows now.‌

Click Show me other ways to activate.

Type your Windows 7 product key, and then click Next.

Click Use the automated phone system. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Click the location nearest you from the drop-down list, and then click Next.

Call one of the available phone numbers listed. An automated system will guide you through the activation process.

When prompted, enter the installation ID that's listed on your screen into your phone's keypad.

Write down the confirmation ID that the phone system gives you.

Type the confirmation ID into the space provided under Step 3 in the activation dialog, click Next, and then follow the instructions.

If activation isn't successful, stay on the line to be transferred to a customer service representative who can assist you.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Shy posted:

Help me remember, did they mention native PDF in one of the desktop applications? e: in Spartan?

When is Spartan going to pop up?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

You can use its rendering engine already in IE11. Go to about:flags and enable the experimental web platform listed in there.

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

Factor Mystic posted:

What? You don't have to do anything special to access any of the mmc snapins. And there's lots of useful settings in there, For example I always turn on "Display highly detailed status messages". It shows what service is processing when you start/restart/shutdown, instead of just "Restarting..."

:aaa: I had no idea this GP setting existed and this behavior has always been something that bugged me about Windows. Gotta try this one out!

e: I'm a little disappointed in this, actually- seems to only make Win 7 just a little bit chattier (or it's just moving too fast for me to catch most of it). I was really hoping to get hundreds of lines of technobabble every time I turn on my computer, safe mode/Linux style.

Soylent Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 27, 2015

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I hope you got sorted, if not, here's the phone activation routine:

I finally got it sorted and did the equivalent of this in Windows 8. I forgot to write down the code though...hopefully I won't have to do it again at least.

Thank for for the help! It actually wasn't as hard as I thought it'd be. :v:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The new Windows 10 build is a loving piece of poo poo. UGH. The first thing that pissed me off was no searching for .exe files from ANYTHING?! The new start menu sucks, last build's was way better. I can't find anything. Changed the whole metro control panel again and there is still not feature parity with the old control panel.. I think this is the 3rd time? Also, just so anyone doesn't do this, I connected my windows 8.1 SSD to the system to transfer files and somehow the loving 10 load destroyed the 8.1 load.. permissions or something, after an hour I gave up trying to fix it. And a repair install wouldn't work for 8.1 anymore.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

I finally got it sorted and did the equivalent of this in Windows 8. I forgot to write down the code though...hopefully I won't have to do it again at least.

Thank for for the help! It actually wasn't as hard as I thought it'd be. :v:

Glad you got sorted.

The code changes after each activation - as in the numbers you have to enter into the phone keypad are different, and thus the numbers you have to enter into the Activation Wizard are different. Hopefully you'll not have to reinstall for a while, but next time it might activate over the internet.

I think I read, years ago, that there's a period of a few months where, once activated over the phone on one occasion, it'll allow automatic activation next time. Could be wrong though.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 28, 2015

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

redeyes posted:

The new Windows 10 build is a loving piece of poo poo. UGH. The first thing that pissed me off was no searching for .exe files from ANYTHING?! The new start menu sucks, last build's was way better. I can't find anything. Changed the whole metro control panel again and there is still not feature parity with the old control panel.. I think this is the 3rd time? Also, just so anyone doesn't do this, I connected my windows 8.1 SSD to the system to transfer files and somehow the loving 10 load destroyed the 8.1 load.. permissions or something, after an hour I gave up trying to fix it. And a repair install wouldn't work for 8.1 anymore.

Who cares, just delete the VM you were testing it out in and check back when it RTM's. If you are gonna get mad when things change build to build, the Technical Preview isn't for you.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I've found Windows 10 tech preview to be really stable.

I'm running it on my main home PC as the only OS. Everything works great - games and all.

I have a Surface Pro sitting in the drawer with 8.1 on it just in case it all goes to hell - and I haven't even touched it.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
My desktop computer is kinda hosed; I've been doing registry poo poo and policy stuff and like some weird firewall things and like I want to upgrade to windows 10 when it comes out; will all the weird kinky poo poo that I do to my computer carry over? Should I just say fuckit and reformat my SSD for my OS? I want my computer to stop being such a fetish sick gently caress.

I mean I don't want to kinkshame my computer but its really getting to the point where I want my windows experience to be vanilla; missionary position just for the purposes of computing.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Baloogan posted:

My desktop computer is kinda hosed; I've been doing registry poo poo and policy stuff and like some weird firewall things and like I want to upgrade to windows 10 when it comes out; will all the weird kinky poo poo that I do to my computer carry over? Should I just say fuckit and reformat my SSD for my OS? I want my computer to stop being such a fetish sick gently caress.

I mean I don't want to kinkshame my computer but its really getting to the point where I want my windows experience to be vanilla; missionary position just for the purposes of computing.
There's quite a bit of material here for the title of the new Windows 10 thread, once it appears. :golfclap:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Factor Mystic posted:

Who cares, just delete the VM you were testing it out in and check back when it RTM's. If you are gonna get mad when things change build to build, the Technical Preview isn't for you.

Who knew that a pre-release build of an OS that's explicitly only for testing could have issues?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Baloogan posted:

Crikey.

Formatting a modern spec machine these days is a doddle. My machine has an Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4Ghz CPU with 8GB RAM, and a Samsung 840 EVO SSD.

Booting from a USB 3 flash drive and installing Windows 8.1 takes about 10-15 minutes. You can help things along after the initial install by having all your drivers downloaded before hand, then install them when Windows is up and running.

With the Windows 8.1 media creation tool available, you even have all Windows updates to August 2014 included in the disc image , saving even more time.

When Windows 10 is released, there will probably only be about 3 months of updates between RTM and General Availability.

I'd always recommend a fresh install. So fast and stable in my experience.

Is there any indication that desktop scaling will be better in Windows 10? I know it's no different in build 9926.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 28, 2015

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

HalloKitty posted:

Who knew that a pre-release build of an OS that's explicitly only for testing could have issues?

Which is why i loaded it on a separate system and SSD! It still managed to gently caress my normal system's ssd because I was trying to save time by directly connecting its hard drive to copy some files. Come on people, it was just a heads up about a potential issue. Also the new build flat out sucks.

quote:

Is there any indication that desktop scaling will be better in Windows 10? I know it's no different in build 9926.
And this! No change from 8.1 is quite disappointing. At least test it MS.. come on!

redeyes fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 28, 2015

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've been quite happy with the new built, hasn't broken anything so far. Of course I liked Windows 8 vanilla too.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Build 9926 works just swell as my main and only operating system on my desktop.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I'd be fine with Windows 10 if the Chivalry game didn't crash after 10-15 minutes. That was about my only issue with the TP. I don't like how in the new build you can't hit the Windows key and start typing to search since having to Win+S was weird, but that's a minor thing that can be fixed with other software if I really need to.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is there any indication that Windows 10 will be subscription-based or not? A lot of people seem to think that "free for the first year" means "no subscription charge for one year".

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

No official word. I expect that it will be free to upgrade for the first year, and free to anyone who upgrades during that time.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Microsoft said it would be free for the first year. After that, who knows. But once you upgrade, you get free upgrades for however long your device is supported; I assume that means if you buy/bought an OEM/System Builder/Retail copy, you get free upgrades until your device won't run the upgrade. This doesn't apply to Enterprise, volume license, or software assurance customers, and they didn't say anything about MSDN or DreamSpark Premium (I assume they'll check the key when upgrading from 7-8.1 and block upgrades, but they won't block future upgrades of 10).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Flagrama posted:

I don't like how in the new build you can't hit the Windows key and start typing to search since having to Win+S was weird, but that's a minor thing that can be fixed with other software if I really need to.
That seems to be a bug from what I read on various sites. Kind of must be, because it searches here when typing right after WinKey.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is there any indication that Windows 10 will be subscription-based or not? A lot of people seem to think that "free for the first year" means "no subscription charge for one year".

I don't think even they know what they're going to do.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Generic Monk posted:

I don't think even they know what they're going to do.
They keep saying no subs.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
read the OP, didn't find anything but i'm sure it's been adressed in this 60 page thread: what's up with the black borders all over my poo poo? i've already updated my drivers + options in the amd catalyst center are all the suggested. what's left to do?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Mean Bean Machine posted:

read the OP, didn't find anything but i'm sure it's been adressed in this 60 page thread: what's up with the black borders all over my poo poo? i've already updated my drivers + options in the amd catalyst center are all the suggested. what's left to do?
Sounds like underscan and if it isn't the scaling setting in the catalyst control panel, it could still be a setting on your monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
the underscan option in the catalyst center is greyed out but it's at 100% overscan anyway. my monitor doesn't seem to have a scaling option. everything was fine before this loving useless update

• Locked thread