Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I seriously hate the guys who told me this was a good comic. SO MUCH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like people are really overselling the dip in quality this comic is experiencing just because it gave us one long, slow, talky, disjointed chapter.

This is pretty much how it works. It's now the Worst Comic, and will remain so until they go a while without making mistakes, at which point they'll be the Best Comic (and will remain so until they make a mistake again, repeat). That assumes they don't repeat this chapter's mistakes immediately, of course, but I do have some hope for that given that they've already started to make fun of them in the hover comments.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SFP joined the hallowed ranks of Yet Another Okay Webcomic I Guess.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

SynthOrange posted:

I seriously hate the guys who told me this was a good comic. SO MUCH.

It was a good comic. Now it's

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Yet Another Okay Webcomic I Guess.

It's not utterly awful, it's just... :mediocre:

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

so is Allisons superpower making everyone around her become a loving one-dimensional sociopath retroactively

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Rei_ posted:

so is Allisons superpower making everyone around her become a loving one-dimensional sociopath retroactively

Yes, with the exception of a single designated "good" semi-mentor figure. For awhile this was Patrick who was treated as being more than just a sociopath mind-reader villain, but he lost that status when it was given to Paladin instead leading to that stupid office scene.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Patrick was pretty obviously never a good guy.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

We were just hoping he'd be a complex guy.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

T.G. Xarbala posted:

We were just hoping he'd be a complex guy.

Just like Alison. Guess neither of you should have put any faith in the handsome super villain!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hypocrisy posted:

Just like Alison. Guess neither of you should have put any faith in the handsome super villain!

Right?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

I'd say the main sin of that monologue was making him more confusing, not less complex. If anything, there's more to him than there initially appeared to be, it's just not clear what it all means.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

idonotlikepeas posted:

I'd say the main sin of that monologue was making him more confusing, not less complex. If anything, there's more to him than there initially appeared to be, it's just not clear what it all means.

It's very clear- he's crazy and wrong in ways that make Allison and super-science lookit my progressive mural lady right. He's also specifically crazy in ways that contradict his depiction in previous chapters, which is really annoying.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

I don't think even that is true. Alison literally points out the inconsistencies in what he says in the comic. What her take on it seems to be is that Patrick is deliberately trying to prevent her from finding out what's going on with him by saying whatever it takes to make her upset, regardless of whether it makes sense, and the capping reveal with the cup (the most effective panel in the entire chapter, by my reckoning) is that he is most likely doing this because he actually cares about her, although why that should make it necessary isn't clear. What also isn't clear is what "you can't read your own mind" means or why that throws him for such a loop, aside from the fact that he's probably a bit surprised that she started floating and loving up everything in his office.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Hypocrisy posted:

Just like Alison. Guess neither of you should have put any faith in the author

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

idonotlikepeas posted:

What also isn't clear is what "you can't read your own mind" means or why that throws him for such a loop, aside from the fact that he's probably a bit surprised that she started floating and loving up everything in his office.

I think that was pretty clear. Alison assumed that he knew himself as well as he knows others. Patrick was aware that his anomaly couldn't be focused on himself, but had convinced himself that it didn't matter until he said everything he thought out loud all at once, and Alison made him realize his beliefs were totally inconsistent--because he hadn't really thought about them. (After all, he doesn't really have to do any introspection or reflection to instantly see the flaws and contradictions in anyone else's beliefs, so if he doesn't discover any holes in his own thinking the second he has the thought, that must mean his logic is foolproof.)

This ties back into the idea that no one really knows what they're doing, no matter how powerful they are.

Absum
May 28, 2013

I always assumed it meant he couldn't 'hear' his own thoughts. So he literally doesn't know what he's thinking, only what others think.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Carrasco posted:

I think that was pretty clear. Alison assumed that he knew himself as well as he knows others. Patrick was aware that his anomaly couldn't be focused on himself, but had convinced himself that it didn't matter until he said everything he thought out loud all at once, and Alison made him realize his beliefs were totally inconsistent--because he hadn't really thought about them. (After all, he doesn't really have to do any introspection or reflection to instantly see the flaws and contradictions in anyone else's beliefs, so if he doesn't discover any holes in his own thinking the second he has the thought, that must mean his logic is foolproof.)

This ties back into the idea that no one really knows what they're doing, no matter how powerful they are.

Except in previous chapters he'd been demonstrated to be introspective, and aware of the problems of his power. Patrick was made silly king of idiot mountain so that there could be a dueling monologues segment and Al could win again.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Can't fault Alison for being clever these last few pages, but Mary was at least a couple steps ahead there. Also goes to show it's okay to :words: your perspective out so long as something's at least happening.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Moonshadow, a woman who has killed teams of highly trained soldiers while laughing, thinks a sense powerlessness is essential to being a woman.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
See this page actually works and I like it. People are talking but things are still going on; and instead of listening to people make really bad comebacks at each other there's actual drama involved.

Two pages ago when Allison broke out the whole "I didn't come here to save him [Furnace], I came here to save us [biodynamics?]" my eyes drat near rolled onto the floor. It had no bearing on any of the motives Allison has displayed for tracking down Mary, and is only tangentially related to her own struggle to find a way to "save the world" and maybe to that earlier plot point about 4rd tier biodynamics getting legal protection and possibly benefits. But nothing came out of that except introducing Paladin. This is the first monologue in I don't know how many pages that's actually relevant, and it works hammers home the point that Allison doesn't actually "get" the human experience. It's been brought in some of the earlier chapters and its been a recurring element this chapter too, with the women Allison talks with pointing out that her only fear is what harm she might do to others, not what harm others can do to her; specifically related to sexual violence or rape. And while Mary has powers and some status, she still knows what it's like to be forgotten and pushed aside, she also knows what it means to fear for her life. Now all we need is a brisk flashback to what event triggered Mary to start this killing spree and Allison's inevitable escape from the Dam and we can finally bury this chapter.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, that will really work against someone who can levitate.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Say Nothing posted:

Yeah, that will really work against someone who can levitate.

Allison is dumb and slow and plot dictates that Moonshadow get some heel heat, so Allison is gonna take some damage before ignoring it and winning in the end anyhow.

And then, I think John Cena's music will play.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Moonshadow didn't know she could fly/levitate, so that's excusable. Wonder how it'll interact with firedude.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
The best part is that Moonshadow sounds like the most anti-feminist supervillain ever.

"So there's this woman who basically blames all of lifes problems on men, wants to kill all men, and insults/demeans anyone who disagrees about men being literally evil".

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Let us all proceed to the hermaphrodite supertopia

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Can we just end this whole misbegotten chapter already because I really don't know how much more I can take of "blah blah rape culture blah blah serial killing is morally justified if you know enough statistics blah".

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

Can we just end this whole misbegotten chapter already because I really don't know how much more I can take of "blah blah rape culture blah blah serial killing is morally justified if you know enough statistics blah".

:agreed:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Don't worry, we only have a few more pages of arguing before Allison will discover a new power, announce a weakness in Mary's, and Mary will fall to the ground stunned by Allison's superiority. Chapter complete.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Looking back on Patrick's dumb "I can't read my own mind" revelation, it's even worse, because Monster Pulse recently pulled off a similar twist waaaaay better.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Zerilan posted:

Don't worry, we only have a few more pages of arguing before Allison will discover a new power, announce a weakness in Mary's, and Mary will fall to the ground stunned by Allison's superiority. Chapter complete.

I'm surprised she didn't fall to the ground dead after sawing through a live electrical cable.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

SlothfulCobra posted:

Looking back on Patrick's dumb "I can't read my own mind" revelation, it's even worse, because Monster Pulse recently pulled off a similar twist waaaaay better.

Thanks for bringing this comic to my attention because it's amazing.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Say Nothing posted:

I'm surprised she didn't fall to the ground dead after sawing through a live electrical cable.

That's been really bothering me.

On the other hand, I've started to enjoy this novel chapter a lot more once I realized that the conversations are all taken from DnD.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Her knife appears to be made of a non-conductive material, although it might still be a bad idea.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I can only hope GOP man pulls through!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I like that this is the second time Allison has forgotten she can fly because if she remembered the plot would break.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Considering she sustained a serious injury while flying, she's probably safer just hanging out and letting herself get electrocuted.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I can only hope GOP man pulls through!

It looks like he's about to gently caress up and bring the dam down.
That's pretty much his purpose in this comic... to gently caress things up constantly.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The stupid train just keeps on trucking. Toot toot.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
What's stupid? Dude getting angry at being drugged and kidnapped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Take your pick.

Oh someone I hate, FIRE!
Oh the pyromaniac I put a bomb on might blow them up and kill us all, I didnt think of that.
Maybe I should save the exploding pyromaniac?
This entire arc.
This entire comic.

• Locked thread