Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Covok posted:

Digimon World: ReDigitize any good?

nonononononono

It's really really bad.

Really bad.

Really very bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Burkion posted:

At the very least, it's sort of implied that that wasn't a REAL Apocalymon, and just the weird disguise of Mephistomon. I think.

One thing I'm extremely glad about is that, unlike a lot of other evil Digimon, Apocalymon was never reduced to an utter joke in later anime adaptations. I'm looking at you MaloMyotismon.

Most people I've seen talk about generally think it's an actual Apocalymon(and might even be the Adventure one reborn through the timey-wimey weirdness that technically ties Adventure and Tamers together through Ryo) he just devolves into Mephismon through either getting his rear end kicked by Omegamon or due to crossing the dimensional boundary, and then sought an alternate evolution much like Diablomon did in movie 4

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

mikeycp posted:

nonononononono

It's really really bad.

Really bad.

Really very bad.

I remember playing the original Digimon World game when I was a kid and never understanding it. Used to think the problem with it was that I didn't get it. Wasn't a good game even if I understood it?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Covok posted:

I remember playing the original Digimon World game when I was a kid and never understanding it. Used to think the problem with it was that I didn't get it. Wasn't a good game even if I understood it?

The same sentiment applies to the original Digimon world.

It you REALLY want to you can take out the last sentence in it, but that's it.

They're both completely awful.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Burkion posted:

At the very least, it's sort of implied that that wasn't a REAL Apocalymon, and just the weird disguise of Mephistomon. I think.

I watched the movie years ago so I honestly don't remember, but you might have it backwards, as Mephismon's DRB profile states that "It is also a dark being born from the lingering thought-data of an Apocalymon that attempted to destroy all life". Of course, this might just be the DRB and have nothing to do with the movie, but movie villains tend to keep blatant references to their movies in those profiles, like the entire Keramon line just being a bunch of Our War Game references (with Armagemon referencing Revenge of Diablomon, of course).

Also Re: Digitize is bad. Do not play it. The original World is not as bad, and it has some potential, but it's such a weird game with a lot of things that are just not explained even remotely to the player.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

jivjov posted:

Or, if you're on the tokusatsu side of things, the new stuff from the movie turns up again for another episode around the time the DVD comes out.

which is what makes me worried for future Shout Factory Sentai DVD sets since they currently don't have the rights to the movies. You'll get things like the Shogun Engines in Go-onger or the Dino Song from Kyoryuger (which shows up actually pretty early, I think the movie was still in theaters when it was brought in to the show)

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

The first world game and re:digitize are neat in idea, since they're expanded versions of the v-pet games. Just chill, goof around, and see what you get and advance the plot along. But with the v-pet games, there were way less stats you had to micromanage (sleep disturbances, care mistakes, number of battles, and sometimes overfeeding), rather than care mistakes, weight, number of battles, and a very specific rpg stat range for evolution criteria.

Things being hidden from you is not as bad with the v-pets, since they're just ye olde toilet games, but everything being hidden is just intolerable when you're expected to be playing it for 1hr+ a day.

sometime i should play the side games. the only other ones i've played are the ds games which become tolerable with a fast-forward button and liberal use of a exp x2 cheat

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
I know the question was "best Digimon game without qualifiers" BUT I liked Digimon World Dawn for DS a lot even though it was grindy and had a lot of script errors. The Digimon selection was substantial, and it scratched my Pokemon itch something fierce. There were also a handful of bosses that the game threw at you that you couldn't actually get. Still. I thought it was good.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I mean the best digimon game without qualifiers is just Cyber Sleuth surely

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I liked Digimon World and Re:Digitize, but maybe that's because I just used the evolution items and stuff to skip requirements.

ghost sex
May 19, 2013
Digimon World was an interesting game with a number of unique mechanics that remained unique because they were godawful.

Always really dug the v-pet angle, though. It'd be pretty cool if that could somehow be polished and fit into a proper game without being completely frustrating. But I loving love random bullshit. And chugging sewage

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Best Digimon game is a hard tie between Cyber Sleuth and Digital Card Battle. A distant third for me would be World 3 but I know people are more fond of the World games on DS than the PSX ones. I mostly just have a lot of nostalgia for World 3.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TriffTshngo posted:

Best Digimon game is a hard tie between Cyber Sleuth and Digital Card Battle. A distant third for me would be World 3 but I know people are more fond of the World games on DS than the PSX ones. I mostly just have a lot of nostalgia for World 3.

I, too, have a fondness for terrible grindfest Digimon World 3 but I admit that it's not very good. Better hope you don't have specific megas in mind going into that or you'll be there for months grinding.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

ghost sex posted:

Digimon World was an interesting game with a number of unique mechanics that remained unique because they were godawful.

Always really dug the v-pet angle, though. It'd be pretty cool if that could somehow be polished and fit into a proper game without being completely frustrating. But I loving love random bullshit. And chugging sewage

I really love the original Digimon World (I've beaten it with my first Digimon before), but it is definitely not for everyone. It's also not very fun if you don't know it inside and out.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

mateo360 posted:

which is what makes me worried for future Shout Factory Sentai DVD sets since they currently don't have the rights to the movies. You'll get things like the Shogun Engines in Go-onger or the Dino Song from Kyoryuger (which shows up actually pretty early, I think the movie was still in theaters when it was brought in to the show)

I honestly don't think that will feel too terribly jarring for those of us who follow along with the fan subbing community; subs for movies don't exist until a DVD release is out and has been acquired by the team; so exact timeline placement and the first appearance of movie exclusive power ups tend to get a little fuzzy anyway. Plus, as was brought up before, the writers can't really make the assumption that every single person that watches a show is going to go see the movie; a smart writer won't make the film crucial to understanding or enjoyment.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Emong posted:

I really love the original Digimon World (I've beaten it with my first Digimon before), but it is definitely not for everyone. It's also not very fun if you don't know it inside and out.

I had a guide and still couldn't figure it out. There are only like three people in the whole world who know that game inside and out,

ghost sex
May 19, 2013

Emong posted:

For me, all the arbitrary event triggers and obfuscated mechanics really lent it a sense of mystique and discovery at the expense of being kind of terrible to play. Could've given the player actual control over their digimon during combat without losing a goddamn thing, though.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Rina is adorable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgjpWn6CG3I

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

CharlestheHammer posted:

I had a guide and still couldn't figure it out. There are only like three people in the whole world who know that game inside and out,

Yeah and Numemon was the worst game over ever.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rudoku posted:

Yeah and Numemon was the worst game over ever.

Numemon was the easiest path to power in the game. Get to Toy Town, evolve it into Monzaemon, bam. Nearly no-effort high-power Perfect level.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Blaze Dragon posted:

Numemon was the easiest path to power in the game. Get to Toy Town, evolve it into Monzaemon, bam. Nearly no-effort high-power Perfect level.

Not if it's your first Champion anywhere before Toy Town.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

dis astranagant posted:

I, too, have a fondness for terrible grindfest Digimon World 3 but I admit that it's not very good. Better hope you don't have specific megas in mind going into that or you'll be there for months grinding.

Shout out to everyone who did the Veemon side quest

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Raserys posted:

Shout out to everyone who did the Veemon side quest

I did it two or three times but every other time I just cheated him onto my team because gently caress it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I own Digimon World 3 from a trip to a thrift store a few months back. Only played like 10 minutes. Seemed okay, but its a grindfest? That blows as grinding is my least favorite activity.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i love digimon 3 but it is hella grindy yes

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You don't HAVE to grind if you don't want to, but you won't be able to get certain Digimon otherwise.

I will warn, the game is pretty unforgiving. Very little direction in the game about where to go or what to do, and it's super easy to just wander into an area with enemies that are literally 20+ levels higher than you.

I like it well enough though, and it's one of the ONLY games to have Slash Angemon, the single most anime Digimon ever made.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Burkion posted:

You don't HAVE to grind if you don't want to, but you won't be able to get certain Digimon otherwise.

More like "you won't be able to get past the first part of the game". Good luck getting to the second gym without grinding to Perfect. Hell, good luck beating the first without a bit of grinding, or even getting there without hitting level 5 in the first area.

The game's horribly grindy and encounters give low exp so you'll spend a lot of time getting bored out of seeing the same Digimon over and over again. If you can get past that, it's a decently fun RPG, and it definitely has more charm than the dull DS installments, but man I don't recommend anyone to play this without cheating for more exp.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blaze Dragon posted:

More like "you won't be able to get past the first part of the game". Good luck getting to the second gym without grinding to Perfect. Hell, good luck beating the first without a bit of grinding, or even getting there without hitting level 5 in the first area.

The game's horribly grindy and encounters give low exp so you'll spend a lot of time getting bored out of seeing the same Digimon over and over again. If you can get past that, it's a decently fun RPG, and it definitely has more charm than the dull DS installments, but man I don't recommend anyone to play this without cheating for more exp.

I admit, I got *SUPER* lost when I played it as a kid, so I didn't so much as Grind as "Figure out where the gently caress things were"

I reached Mega Level before getting to the Tiki mask dude just because I kept getting lost and running around in circles.

On the plus side, Gallantmon was worth it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I could never found the Digi Egg of Sincerity to get Submarimon :v:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

My go-to tactic was to grind it out with Agumon until I got SkullGreymon, then fast-track over to the West sector and get Counter and Multi-Crests for all 3 of my dudes. From then on you can pretty much spend the rest of the game letting enemies deal their own damage to themselves as you spend turns healing and occasionally using a tech or two.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TriffTshngo posted:

My go-to tactic was to grind it out with Agumon until I got SkullGreymon, then fast-track over to the West sector and get Counter and Multi-Crests for all 3 of my dudes. From then on you can pretty much spend the rest of the game letting enemies deal their own damage to themselves as you spend turns healing and occasionally using a tech or two.

Yeah, but that doesn't work in the PAL version, which has an extra quest in the endgame :smithicide:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Here's a comprehensive tier list of the starters in Digimon World 3:

1. Kotemon
2. Monmon
3. All the anime Digimon
4. Kumamon

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Raserys posted:

Here's a comprehensive tier list of the starters in Digimon World 3:

1. Kotemon
2. Monmon
3. All the anime Digimon
4. Kumamon

Terriermon and his line wer out, starting the trend of never putting him in games for some reason.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Geostomp posted:

Terriermon and his line wer out, starting the trend of never putting him in games for some reason.

He's in the DS games but iirc you have to go out of your way to get him. And you can get MegaGargomon in World 3 but it comes from MetalGarurumon for whatever reason.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Playing Digimon 3 on an emulator instead of the PSOne improves the game a lot because:

- You can fastforward the grinding sheenanigans

- You can save state. This game is VERY unforgiving at times, you can be killing enemies just fine but suddenly a rare enemy encounter pops up and annihilates your team while you are trying to escape (Musyamon in the graveyard jungle), or you switch to the wrong screen and get into an encounter taking the one step necesary to go to the previous screen, or sudden Boss out of nowhere with insane stats (Bulbmon), or MagnaAngemon gets really spammy and RNGfavored with his Heaven's Gate, or you decided to check just how strong Knightmon is and can't escape now, and the save point was all the way back in town

- You can fastforward THE SAVING SCREEN. This game has one of the longest saving screens I can think of. The game actually punishes you for being too cautious by taking 2 minutes out of your life.

- You can save state scam the dumb RNG in Training Gyms. I cannot stress how important this is. The bulk of your stats will be earned by training at the gym since you gain very little stat growth by leveling up (when you do levelup). And you cannot affect in any way how your Digimon will perform in the training session. It's just good ol' RNG. In a game where a 20 point difference in Agility can mean the enemy getting 2 turns in a row or you blocking 2 out of 5 attacks, getting the most out of every training session is crucial.

Somethings to note about using an emulator though, despite having Save states, you DO have to save from time to time. I don't really know how this game's enginge works but it appears it has a maximum amount of data it can load between each session, requiring the game to be manually loaded from the menu in order to clear it. Otherwise you will get in weird scenarios where the screen will just not clear the loading squares, or getting stuck in infinite battle loading screen limbo (this happened with ePSXe, can't confirm other emulators).

Despite all this flaws, I actually like the game due to the diversity of Digimons you can get and how well animated some of their attacks were for a PS1 low budget game.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Oh man. Next Order really cranked up the edginess to eleven

(spoilers for the final boss)

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Man, it's a shame that they're wasting a lot of cool stuff on what will certainly be a terrible game.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I don't get it, is that some sorta BlackOmegamon? with the sword and gun stuff switched around?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I don't get it, is that some sorta BlackOmegamon? with the sword and gun stuff switched around?

It's Omegamon Zwart Alter-B, a new form introduced in the game. The Executioner? is another variant: Omegamon Zwart D (defeated)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

It's Omegamon Zwart Alter-B, a new form introduced in the game. The Executioner? is another variant: Omegamon Zwart D (defeated)

I googled what Zwart even is. It's literally just BlackOmegamon alts then.