Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm like 90% sure this would be frowned upon, but what's your opinion of utilizing several nesting test posts for branching dialogue?

Here is a stupid quick example I made. The one I linked would be on-site and the rest would be hosted on the test poster I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

How deep do the branches go?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Really Pants posted:

How deep do the branches go?

For what I'm thinking of, they wouldn't be more than 1 deep (ie choices don't lead immediately to other unique choices)

-But theoretically, they could accommodate a more complicated dialogue tree... I think.

-For example, if the game I'm translating opens up for you to talk to everybody in whatever order and it doesn't matter, I could save space on the post (and scrolling effort of the reader who doesn't wanna see all of them) by linking to each character, and hosting the actual events off-site...?

Mr. Steak fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 15, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'd just use simple quote boxes for anything that branches once & then ends, and separate updates for more complex choices if the game's save system permits.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Quote boxes is an interesting suggestion. I'll play around with those a bit.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

onsetOutsider posted:

-For example, if the game I'm translating opens up for you to talk to everybody in whatever order and it doesn't matter, I could save space on the post (and scrolling effort of the reader who doesn't wanna see all of them) by linking to each character, and hosting the actual events off-site...?

It's best to just link big wall-of-text updates on the test poster regardless.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
Now that I don't have several things deliberately trying to keep me from even playing the game, here's an opening video for Blood II. Pretty proud of this one but I figured I should still run it through here anyway just to be sure.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Kadorhal posted:

Now that I don't have several things deliberately trying to keep me from even playing the game, here's an opening video for Blood II. Pretty proud of this one but I figured I should still run it through here anyway just to be sure.

Looks good.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

How's this video for Omensight? Turn on closed captioning for commentary.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Really Pants posted:

How's this video for Omensight? Turn on closed captioning for commentary.

Technically speaking, I see nothing wrong with it (as a lay person). Perhaps the commentary is a touch less talkative than I am used to (and prefer) with these kinds of LPs, but there really is not much to speak of so early into the game (speaking as someone whose played it). You also seem to know when is not a good time to commentate, which is a good thing and sometimes hit and miss with other LPs. On another note, do you plan on opening up the choice to vote once there are more choices to vote on, or do you plan on leading the way? I know there are a few things that can be lost forever if you do certain things before other things...

I also hope you plan on turning investigation difficulty all the way up (or at least not letting us see all the handholds the game does)? Let goons figure it out.

I really am quite interested in seeing you do this. I never did go back to see the new things added by the latest patch...

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Nov 15, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I planned on going through all possible choices before advancing and leaving handholds on, for a few reasons. Characters have different things to say on every path, and it means more XP+Amber too. As for the assists, the idea of just omitting part of the game felt kind of silly and I wasn't sure there'd be enough interest for a vote. Omensight also has a second ending now, which requires you to fill the assist list out completely.

I could always link the assists for people who'd rather skip them.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Nov 15, 2018

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Really Pants posted:

I planned on going through all possible choices before advancing and leaving handholds on, for a few reasons. Characters have different things to say on every path, and it means more XP+Amber too. As for the assists, the idea of just omitting part of the game felt kind of silly and I wasn't sure there'd be enough interest for a vote. Omensight also has a second ending now, which requires you to fill the assist list out completely.

I could always link the assists for people who'd rather skip them.

Probably for the best. Like you said, more XP and Amber, and some of the collectables and routes can just be lost forever if you go down one route before another (well, the new patch let's you go back after the ending, but still...). Fair enough.

Oublietteer
Jul 30, 2018

Is that you, Edea Lee?
I'm already doing an LP, but I'm thinking way ahead to others I might like to do, and have a question.

I'm really interested in doing an LP of games like Etrian Odyssey, where you make characters that are blank slates, and having the thread suggest names, portraits, personalities, and then giving them life through my updates. For example, Dr. Fetus' wonderful LP of EO3. But I don't have much experience with writing fiction, and I wouldn't want it to be a cringe inducing mess. Can anyone who's done that sort of thing give some advice or link websites that can teach me? Again, I won't do it for a long time, but I'd like to practice.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Oublietteer posted:

I'm already doing an LP, but I'm thinking way ahead to others I might like to do, and have a question.

I'm really interested in doing an LP of games like Etrian Odyssey, where you make characters that are blank slates, and having the thread suggest names, portraits, personalities, and then giving them life through my updates. For example, Dr. Fetus' wonderful LP of EO3. But I don't have much experience with writing fiction, and I wouldn't want it to be a cringe inducing mess. Can anyone who's done that sort of thing give some advice or link websites that can teach me? Again, I won't do it for a long time, but I'd like to practice.

It's not lp specific, but there's a thread about writing fiction that might be helpful. Basically though, you get better at writing by reading a lot and writing a lot. Try to look at the lps you like and see what makes them work for you, then keep that in mind when you write your own. Maybe put together some short stories and see if you can get feedback on them.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Kadorhal posted:

Well done, great production values in particular really add a lot but disappointingly short; I got some major blue balls at the end. On the flip side pot calling the kettle black, perhaps, but at the beginning you sounded deadpan to the point of dead-inside. After a minute or so I think you really hit your stride but the beginning has a real Ben Stein thing going on. If I'd just stumbled on this randomly I probably wouldn't have stuck around long enough in the vid for it to get good, and that'd be a tragedy.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Lacedaemonius posted:

Well done, great production values in particular really add a lot but disappointingly short; I got some major blue balls at the end. On the flip side pot calling the kettle black, perhaps, but at the beginning you sounded deadpan to the point of dead-inside. After a minute or so I think you really hit your stride but the beginning has a real Ben Stein thing going on. If I'd just stumbled on this randomly I probably wouldn't have stuck around long enough in the vid for it to get good, and that'd be a tragedy.

Everything before about 1:40 or so is the game speaking. Is that what you're referring to?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Oublietteer posted:

As someone who's done two narrative LPs of EO games, is presently working on a third, and is planning two others, I'm gonna echo vilkacis's advice. Read a lot of good fiction, but more importantly, just...write a lot. The best way to get good at something is to practice.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Oublietteer posted:

vilkacis gives some good advice. Probably one of the best things you can do is just to throw your hand in the ring. I'll be honest, the EO2 LP was like the first time I delved into that sort of thing (or any form of a long running serious writing project and it shows. There are several things I'm not really proud of in there) but it did teach me several lessons that made things a lot better for the EO3 LP when it came to the narrative front there. Your writing style will be your own, but if you're starting off, there's no shame in using something else as a base. I started off emulating 100percentjesusfree's style when I first did the EO2 LP, before finding my own voice.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Oublietteer posted:

You don't even have to have necessarily read a lot. Just take some time to think about all forms of media you have consumed. Movies, games, books, audio, articles, whatever. Think about how they are written/sound or structured. No matter what it is, it follows a kind of pattern. For character dialogue, you just need to make sure you keep the character's intended personality in mind. Write dialogue that sounds natural (either in a modern sense, or for a certain time period), and then read it back when you are done. You'll start picking up on common problems or habits as you edit.

Starting out, just go with the madman method. Keep writing without stopping to edit or nitpick. When you're done, that's when you look at what you have and make sure it all fits in the right order. Then you start refining, cutting, and all that. Finally, you look at it closely and really nitpick it for the little stuff. It sounds like a long process at first, but eventually you'll naturally get to the point where you can just write and then do minor edits.

Like everyone else has said, you get better by doing. Just give it your best, and over time you'll start to slip into a personal style. Once you feel you have your comfort zone, then you can start experimenting with what you're doing.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

A lot of your writing will come from the base character traits your thread will give (if you're going that route), so you just need to figure what you'll pull from there. Otherwise, you can poke fun at the game, make your characters dunk on each other and give them all kinds of personalities. There's a lot of ways you can go and it'll take a few updates to really find your flow and get all the various details in your head, but after that, it'll be smooth sailing, just have fun with it!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'd say it's not at all uncommon to start out with each character being just a collection of a few basic traits and maybe a very broad-strokes background ("grew up on a farm" or "used to be a thief", that kind of broad strokes). Depending on the kind of LP you're going for, that may be all you'll need; the Icewind Dale 2 LP on the archives is that kind, for example. Set up some broad archetypes, then have them bicker with each other and react to the plot.

If you want more depth, then you can start filling in the blank spots as you go. For my Avernum LP I had one of the characters grab every single food item the party came across (in a game where you don't need to eat). Initially it was a joke, but it affected how I saw the character -- someone who hoards food might feel insecure or scared of being indigent and unable to support themselves. Even if I didn't state that explicitly in the story (such as it was), it gave the character more depth than he had when I first started the LP, and affected how I wrote him. Hopefully it made him more sympathetic, though it's always hard to tell.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Oublietteer posted:

I've only done one pseudo-narrative LP where it was mostly just a side-joke, but something that I found helped me to feel confident about continuing was making sure the first update has a good chunk of "standard" gameplay in it along with the characters speaking. Let the thread get used to your style of LPing and see if there are any initial concerns about the way the characters are reading to people. There's certainly no shame in asking your audience how they're feeling about it either.

You also don't have to reveal everything about your characters immediately, either. Two of my favorite narrative LPs, StabbyTheClown's Divine Divinity and TooMuchAbstraction's Avernum, are really good about that, introducing more depth as they go in a way that feels natural.

Like everyone's saying, though, the best thing you can do is give it a shot and have a good time.

Psycho Knight posted:

Probably should have asked this straight away, but what game is it? Or do you not want to give it away?

I didn't think I would find art assets for the game I'm doing, but when the game was mentioned in thread Commander Keene ended up finding some right away from a site I haven't heard of.

Might have some similar luck if you do the same, but if you'd prefer to keep it under wraps then that's fine too.

Whoops, sorry, missed this post.

I'm looking for the script to Pokemon Black, considering tackling it if I end up having the time in the future. No rush, I honestly don't even know if I'm going to do it.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 18, 2018

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alright, I finally have the first update of a translation LP really really really close to a final draft. I just pretty much want someone to tell me if its ok for posting. And also what kind of things should I think about when it comes to thread title?

OP
First update

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

onsetOutsider posted:

Alright, I finally have the first update of a translation LP really really really close to a final draft. I just pretty much want someone to tell me if its ok for posting. And also what kind of things should I think about when it comes to thread title?

OP
First update

It seems a little harsh to have a spoiler policy that amounts to "If you've played this game, never post in the thread under any circumstances".

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FractalSandwich posted:

It seems a little harsh to have a spoiler policy that amounts to "If you've played this game, never post in the thread under any circumstances".

Good point, that's probably way too aggressive. I'll keep it simple.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ok so if there's nothing wrong with this, then I'll post it in like an hour.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

onsetOutsider posted:

Ok so if there's nothing wrong with this, then I'll post it in like an hour.

Are you sure you can't cut that down a bit? Because it is bloody gargantuan. I didn't get through it, personally.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I'm trying to do a LP of the new swery65 game, The Missing, and I've got all my screenshots resized and all that so they're big enough to be legible but not big enough to clog up the drat page with a bunch of bullshit, but now for the question of uploading them all. Feels like every time I try to get the whole batch through Imgur it just fizzles out and only uploads one or so, and LPix to my knowledge only allows one pic and I've got like 70 of the drat things. Please help my idiot rear end out, oh LP saints.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

I'm trying to do a LP of the new swery65 game, The Missing, and I've got all my screenshots resized and all that so they're big enough to be legible but not big enough to clog up the drat page with a bunch of bullshit, but now for the question of uploading them all. Feels like every time I try to get the whole batch through Imgur it just fizzles out and only uploads one or so, and LPix to my knowledge only allows one pic and I've got like 70 of the drat things. Please help my idiot rear end out, oh LP saints.

The solution is right here in the Sandcastle OP:

JordanKai posted:

LPix
An LP-specific image host, oriented to keeping separate updates and things. There is a Rightload plugin available here, for which you will need the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable installed. Set your username and password and (optionally) a gallery in the options. NEW! There is also now a script code for use with ShareX, you can follow the instructions here to add it to ShareX's options. If there are any problems with it, post in this thread or contact Baldurk (email).

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

The solution is right here in the Sandcastle OP:

Sorry about that, but it didn't really register as "allows you to dump all your images" to me for some reason when I read that. Thanks for the help.

Oublietteer
Jul 30, 2018

Is that you, Edea Lee?
Thank you for all the replies!

I think I'll make some mock updates and practice character writing that way. Special thanks to vilkacis for that link, it was super interesting! And Ragnar, I think I have some of those LPs saved on my phone, I'll start reading them soon.

(Could you maybe post a link to all that you've done, so I can make sure I have them all? I really like the IDEA of EO games, even if I cannot really play them myself. So I love LPs of them.)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Peace through Power - Let's Play (every) Command and Conquer (PC)

Welcome to this Command and Conquer Anthology Let's Play. Join me on this magical ride through 15 years of strategy gaming featuring one of the most iconic series in gaming. From its meteoric rise to its slow and painful downfall, I'll be going through the entire series, game-by-game, expansions included.

How this will work

I'll be going through each game, chronologically. As every game features 2 factions, with entirely different campaigns, I will be showing off one "run" through each campaign, with additional posts revealing "missed" content, as Command and Conquer (and a few other early titles) featured branching paths. Anything that is the "main" content will be in video form, and the "missed" missions will be given an overview via Screenshots.

I will also attempt to showcase all the available songs and/or cutscenes, as the games have a healthy amount of unique videos depending on whether you succeed or not. This may be harder to do with Command and Conquer (Tiberian Dawn), as the games use an old file format that makes it difficult to capture footage, or extract the video files and recording them with the help of some lucky charms.

[...]
And since this entire thing is being done chronologically, that means ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS AT ALL ABOUT ANYTHING! NO. SPOILERS. Not even tags.

The Command and Conquer series has very little in terms of adaptations or spin-off content, having, I think, one "expanded universe" book sold in 2009, so let's just let things play out as the games intended them to. Thanks!
[...]

Continued here ->https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=152575

[videos in test]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3CLSOFvhDo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6v-6PLymi0

Edit: The patch I am playing the game on includes a tool to set the game's resolution to 1028x768 and I feel like it would be best to keep the videos at that size. If Command and Conquer 4k ever releases, I will certainly include it in the LP.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 23, 2018

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Guess I'll toss the thread up tonight or tomorrow if nobody has any comments/concerns.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
The game audio - especially the music - could do with being bumped up a little bit, but other than that I don't have any real complaints.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
And it finally happened.

Tindeck has apparently shut down for good. I tried checking some old files there, and everything's giving out a "Unable to connect to database" error.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I wonder if it'll finally take this time.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Finally got some time to begin running through Battletech. Ready to drop the thread, but I'm not sure if I'm screwing up the video links, using the individual img's to make one large picture.

---

:siren:The Video List:siren:

EDIT- Ok, I guess it just looks broken in the tester and SA preview. All good

And the full OP post because gently caress it why not- https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=151810

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Brunom1 posted:

And it finally happened.

Tindeck has apparently shut down for good. I tried checking some old files there, and everything's giving out a "Unable to connect to database" error.

Should have backed up all those erotic homestuck roleplay VA demos while I had the chance.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Hey, guys! I don't know where to put this, since it doesn't specifically fall under anything in any of the other threads. I need someone to help me write scripts. Well, specifically, I need someone to write scripts.

My girlfriend and I started a project two years ago wherein we adapted video games into something like audio dramas. We've done two games so far, Final Fantasy IV and Fallout 1. There is a script written for Soul Blazer being re-written and most of the voice acting is done for it. Scripts are in the process for other games, a partly finished Shadowrun (SNES) one, I'm working through Dark Sun (PC) right now. Anyway, girlfriend's life is ridiculously busy, and mine is just slightly too busy. I really want to continue this, but it's clear we can't with just the two of us.

We turned this into a podcast. We haven't really updated it in a year, but instead just pay the hosting fee for some reason. The podcast is called the Spoony Bard's Aural Theatre. It's easy to find on iTunes or whatever -- there's also a website, but it's a mess.

I need a third person in on this project. Since there are so many people making Let's Plays -- particularly the old fashioned kind -- maybe one of you would want to just write it in script form so we can put together a multiple-episode audio drama. Please, let me know if anyone is interested. You can e-mail me at calvinredburn@gmail.com. You could reply here, too, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Alright! I'm planning to do an LP for Telltale's The Wolf Among Us, which I love. I haven't gotten the OP set up yet, but I do have the body for the first episode (issue, if we're gonna get all comic book-y). How does it look?