Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

But how do you change it? When a city is already built up with only cars in mind it's extremely hard to break this cycle and politicians just don't have the political capital to do it. Like so many issues, things will have to get really bad to the point that the middle class are effected before there's the political capital needed to change things, and at that point it's 10x as expensive to do.

I think as much as everyone in D&D rolls their eyes at Uber/Tesla/Google/etc. self-driving car tech, that is the best long-term solution. Infrastructure is already built for cars, and if we make the cars way better at transporting people, run solely on clean energy, and not have to park anywhere for extended periods of time, we'll have solved a lot of the issues.

At least for the urban core. I dunno what you do for suburbia and rural places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

Why, because I started defending the poor instead of the disabled? If you don't like what I posted quit being so loving lazy and respond to my points rather than whatever the gently caress this is.
Your solution for the "problem of San Francisco retail", is to 1) build more parking downtown and 2) create low income housing downtown. Go post in the prop 13/california thread you dumb poo poo.

Ever hear of most all other cities that 1) don't suffer from 2) and 2) have plenty of parking downtown.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

xrunner posted:

Do they not have buses in Denver?

They don't have a bus system that works for a lot of people's commutes, unless they were to move quite a bit from where they are. And of course the poor are least able to do that.

It is being improved slowly, but there was very little investment in public transit until into the 2000s, so it's all still catching up.

axeil posted:

Yeah if you rank the cities by public transit infrastructure the only ones where it's even remotely viable to go carless are probably:

1) NYC
2) Chicago
3) SF, maybe depending on where you work
4) DC but not really because you're going to be paying crazy rent
5) Boston?
6) LA?
7) Philly?

After that It gets really ugly.

Boston's mode share for commuting works out to about 39% driving alone, 33% transit, 22% biking/walking. The other inner suburbs (which should/would have been annexed long ago the way NYC annexed brooklyn, the bronx and queens) are very similar. Cambridge has 22% walking share just on its own, before you count the like 7% bike share.

There's a ton of people that are carless here, I'm one of them simply because our car's engine blew a cylinder in the middle of Vermont and we couldn't be bothered to replace the car. There's a Zipcar lot like 100 yards away though.

axeil posted:

I think as much as everyone in D&D rolls their eyes at Uber/Tesla/Google/etc. self-driving car tech, that is the best long-term solution. Infrastructure is already built for cars, and if we make the cars way better at transporting people, run solely on clean energy, and not have to park anywhere for extended periods of time, we'll have solved a lot of the issues.

The typical infrastructure built for cars in a city tends to be nice and wide, pretty straight streets. That actually works very well for running bus lines and retrofitting light rail down the middle if you are willing to actually shell out the money to start. Places like LA used those very sorts of streets for exactly that in the first place, after all.

Also Uber doesn't have a real self-driving car program or business model. The self-driving car project they have is being completely destroyed because they stole Google tech and are getting massively sued.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

axeil posted:

Yeah if you rank the cities by public transit infrastructure the only ones where it's even remotely viable to go carless are probably:

1) NYC
2) Chicago
5) Boston?
6) LA?
7) Philly?

Boston's a definite yes, the T is pretty great.

Miami is...doable, but only in certain living/working situations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Your solution for the "problem of San Francisco retail", is to 1) build more parking downtown and 2) create low income housing downtown. Go post in the prop 13/california thread you dumb poo poo.

Ever hear of most all other cities that 1) don't suffer from 2) and 2) have plenty of parking downtown.

You're really presuming a great deal just because I pointed out that things are a little more complicated than you first believe. I believe none of these things - the first is dumb and the second could easily be solved by higher density and rules mandating low income housing within city limits.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

No need to make this personal, but you're really presuming a great deal just because I pointed out that things are a little more complicated than you first believe.

Your weak "but actually" examples are tiresome and do not point out that things are "more complicated." Please expand on how San Fransisco's or Seatle's downtown is a retail wasteland.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Your weak "but actually" examples are tiresome and do not point out that things are "more complicated." Please expand on how San Fransisco's or Seatle's downtown is a retail wasteland.

You're angry at me for no reason and once again you're demanding I defend things I've never claimed before. Why is that?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

PT6A posted:

How would there be any space for people to rent if people cannot own property they aren't living in? I agree with you in concept, that it's bad to have empty dwellings at all, but especially in desirable areas, but it's not too easy to solve. You could impose a punitive tax on any unoccupied dwelling, but then you have the issue of how to define "occupation" and how to determine if a given dwelling is occupied or not.

I'm obviously not talking about landlords owning multi-family dwellings, nitwit.

axeil posted:

The problem is "not parking anywhere for extended periods of time" = "driving around aimlessly looking for a fare and contributing to congestion." Uber and Lyft have already made traffic observably worse in some places. Having a transportation infrastructure that relies on empty cars zipping around is a disaster, even if you ignore the environmental impact.

The best long-term solution is to re-urbanize, which is already happening naturally because suburban inefficiencies are incompatible with rising prices and falling wages.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

fishmech posted:

They don't have a bus system that works for a lot of people's commutes, unless they were to move quite a bit from where they are. And of course the poor are least able to do that.

It is being improved slowly, but there was very little investment in public transit until into the 2000s, so it's all still catching up.

Throw in things like shift work or on call/ac hoc/"just in time" scheduling, and it becomes even more difficult for mass transit systems to meet the needs of the working class. Of course, the easy answer is to just ban those sorts of scheduling practices, but why do the easy thing, right?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

axeil posted:

1) NYC
2) Chicago
5) Boston?
6) LA?
7) Philly?

Not sure how long NYC will be on top there, there was another derailment today.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

You're angry at me for no reason and once again you're demanding I defend things I've never claimed before. Why is that?
:irony: you want me to defend prop 13.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Solkanar512 posted:

Throw in things like shift work or on call/ac hoc/"just in time" scheduling, and it becomes even more difficult for mass transit systems to meet the needs of the working class. Of course, the easy answer is to just ban those sorts of scheduling practices, but why do the easy thing, right?

Australia does a neat thing where that kind of schedule ("casual" jobs) necessitates paying the workers more to make up for the inconvenience. Shift work really isn't too hard on mass transit though, it's actually better to spread commuters out vs. trying to fit the entire city's population into rush hour.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

:irony: you want me to defend prop 13.

What's your problem? You keep putting words into my mouth then going on a tirade about it. I've never once mentioned Prop 13.

Either post coherently or take a break.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Australia does a neat thing where that kind of schedule ("casual" jobs) necessitates paying the workers more to make up for the inconvenience. Shift work really isn't too hard on mass transit though, it's actually better to spread commuters out vs. trying to fit the entire city's population into rush hour.

Sorry with shift work, I was referring more to swing/graveyard shifts where transit in many places isn't even running. You're right of course, if they are running however.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

axeil posted:

This is a nice fantasy and all but I'd advise against posting it in the climate thread unless you want to get very depressed very fast.

Point is cars is a non-solution for the future in almost any form. The US infrastructure problem needs to resolved, there is no band-aid large enough in the world to make the current zoning idiocy in the US work in a world with less cars. Like mass scale eminent domain pushed from a federal level is what is necessary here.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Mozi posted:

I just think we stay number one because of track miles. There's really nothing else like the NYC transit system anywhere in this country, especially once you take the reach of the commuter rail systems into account (Path, MNRR, NJT and LIRR).

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Solkanar512 posted:

What's your problem? You keep putting words into my mouth then going on a tirade about it. I've never once mentioned Prop 13.

Sorry with shift work, I was referring more to swing/graveyard shifts where transit in many places isn't even running. You're right of course, if they are running however.

Yeah, good point. That's a situation where, depending on the details, a specialty solution like a company shuttle might make the most sense.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

Solkanar512 posted:

Ever heard of places like Seattle or San Francisco? These aren't poo poo hypotheticals, these are real people being priced out of homes near their jobs and having to commute in. I'm sorry if you just want to poo poo on rich assholes, but don't do it at the expense of the working class.

I don't understand why you're responding to me about owners/management - not being allowed to park in customer parking doesn't alleviate the need for staff to drive to work because nearby housing is too expensive.
You can't talk about California housing without prop 13.

Solkanar512 posted:

You're really presuming a great deal just because I pointed out that things are a little more complicated than you first believe. I believe none of these things - the first is dumb and the second could easily be solved by higher density and rules mandating low income housing within city limits.
Impossible under prop 13.

Glad you didn't say the magic words though.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

What are you talking about? Los Angeles has a huge low-income housing initiative right now.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What are you talking about? Los Angeles has a huge low-income housing initiative right now.
Bay area

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Prop 13 exists here too, man, so obviously it's not impossible. The bay area's problem isn't that dumb bad tax law (though it is dumb and bad) but that it's run by the most godawful sociopathic nimbys to ever exist.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Prop 13 exists here too, man, so obviously it's not impossible. The bay area's problem isn't that dumb bad tax law (though it is dumb and bad) but that it's run by the most godawful sociopathic nimbys to ever exist.

Would you agree with Solk that more parking lots is the solution?
And good for LA, I though tit was still a renter's hell post recession.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

No, I'm anti parking lots, especially in a city that's relatively dense and gridded like SF. That entire island could go car-free if people were motivated about it.

LA's rental market is really bad, but the government is at least trying to make it better. Live/work development is great, they just need to do it well, dense and easily accessible on foot, instead of what developers are mostly doing and slapping together bloated suburban condoplexes priced for millionaires and only allowing weekend shopper type retail instead of the necessities of daily life. gently caress the candle stores, give me a goddamn hardware store

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

The best long-term solution is to re-urbanize, which is already happening naturally because suburban inefficiencies are incompatible with rising prices and falling wages.

Reurbanization is happening but pretty much only in the north and california. Major cities in the south are still sprawling at an unsustainable rate.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

TB already schooled you on the bullshit prop 13 stuff, but even if it's a true fact that one cannot speak about one without the other, you presume that I posted knowing and intending and agreeing to this. I did not and nothing I've posted indicates this, so you anger is still misplaced. Calm down.

I never said nor implied this either, so serious take a loving break. If you're so confused about what my points actually are, you can ask nicely.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mozi posted:

So? The subway is massively redundant through Manhattan for a reason. There's also all the buses too.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

fishmech posted:

So? The subway is massively redundant through Manhattan for a reason. There's also all the buses too.

Come on, man. A train derailment is a pretty big deal. People can get hurt. Please don't let your pathological need to be right turn you into a sociopath.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

No, I'm anti parking lots, especially in a city that's relatively dense and gridded like SF. That entire island could go car-free if people were motivated about it.

I think SF is actually a peninsula

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

For now

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Come on, man. A train derailment is a pretty big deal. People can get hurt. Please don't let your pathological need to be right turn you into a sociopath.

No one was talking about the minor injuries, it was about the threat that NYC would end up like DC. DC's big issue with transit is that there's far less redundancy both in separate lines and within the line with express tracks. When a derailment happens in the DC metro - and it happens fairly frequently - it fucks way more things up than in NYC.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Haha I legit did not know that. :downs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OwN7eYZseI

fishmech posted:

No one was talking about the minor injuries, it was about the threat that NYC would end up like DC. DC's big issue with transit is that there's far less redundancy both in separate lines and within the line with express tracks. When a derailment happens in the DC metro - and it happens fairly frequently - it fucks way more things up than in NYC.

idgaf how you're defending it, you still said "So?" to a fuckin' train derailment. Be a human.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

idgaf how you're defending it, you still said "So?" to a fuckin' train derailment. Be a human.

A train derailment that ended without anyone needing serious medical treatment. It really, truly, wasn't a big deal. We get far more deadly car incidents on daily commutes, that ain't stopping people from driving.

And I'm not sure why you think I'm defending bad rail maintenance or possibly bad brakes on the train, the two things they're currently suspecting caused that?

fishmech fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 28, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
fishmech v. Tiny Brotosaurus....

* lights cigarette, opens beer *

You're both good posters 90% of the time but goddamn can y'all be crazy as gently caress the other 10% of the time

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

PT6A posted:

fishmech v. Tiny Brotosaurus....

* lights cigarette, opens beer *

You're both good posters 90% of the time but goddamn can y'all be crazy as gently caress the other 10% of the time

I don't care what you say about me, at least I've never tried to trivialize human suffering just so I could feel smarter than somebody who thought it was a bad thing.

And what's fun about fishboy is you can wait a month and then post "train derailments are no big deal" and get the full force and fury of wikipedia thrown at you in dissent.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

call to action posted:

I'm so glad parking requirements exist, so many people move to my city into new "parking exempt" structures and then just leave their lovely Jeep on the street all week waiting for the weekend. And you'd better believe these people call themselves "car free"

What? Nobody who owns a car calls themselves car-free. That's absurd.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

fishmech posted:

You are giving way too much credit to European and Asian cities for being well designed and not sprawl, because tons of them are poorly designed and sprawl like crazy.

Also "it's unsustainable" is bullshit. Things that have lasted close on 80 years can hardly be said to not sustain. The modern "good city" you so praise isn't much older than the suburb you claim can't work long term. Do not say "unsustainable" as if it means "aesthetics I don't like".
The outer fringe of development is always lovely, but once you get a few miles in there tends to be an organic densification over the long term. Among other things this tends to turn pure bedroom communities or bedrooms plus strip malls into employment centers in their own right (the edge city process) which creates ever lessened dependence or even interaction with the old core.

It's also perfectly practical to add transit in, that's what happened in the first place with cities. Very few were intentionally designed to support it, it had to be retrofitted in and it tended to bring its own densification. Most of those places will never get more than an ok bus system any time soon - but there's also plenty of small and medium European and Asian cities that basically just have an ok bus system for transit with maybe a passenger rail stop to go the nearest big city.

They're sustainable as long as we keep hurling subsidies into them:
https://www.strongtowns.org/the-growth-ponzi-scheme/

Unsustainable means, literally, financial liabilities that outweigh tax collection potential in the given development. As long as we're all willing to engage in the shared delusion that this growth pattern is not a major government project that we spend billions of dollars on, and we never for even a second contemplate about stopping, sure. It's fine. This is fine.

The Oldest Man fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 28, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Oldest Man posted:

They're sustainable as long as we keep hurling subsidies into them:
https://www.strongtowns.org/the-growth-ponzi-scheme/

Unsustainable means, literally, financial liabilities that outweigh tax collection potential in the given development. As long as we're all willing to engage in the shared delusion that this growth pattern is not a major government project that we spend billions of dollars on, and we never for even a second contemplate about stopping, sure. It's fine. This is fine.

Hey guess what genius? The city also relies on massive subsidies. The rural areas rely on massive subsidies. Of course suburb areas will too, but it is nothing special to them. That's how the entirety of civilization works.

Also lots of places have had plans with varying levels of effectiveness to control growth. Red states tend to do it weaker and suck harder, blue states do it well generally. Even with all the so called sprawl, less than 4% of the country is suburb and city - and that holds 81% of the people. The Remaining rural areas are over 96% of the land but just 19% the people. On the whole, American sprawl does not tend to go far for any one area, leaving a lot of pockets few to zero people between there.

Realistically to continue sprawling in a major way, you need to either abandon existing cities all together, or import millions on millions to go live there.

I don't care what you say about me, at least I've never tried to trivialize human suffering just so I could feel smarter than somebody who thought it was a bad thing.

No one trivialized human suffering here.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

And what's fun about fishboy is you can wait a month and then post "train derailments are no big deal" and get the full force and fury of wikipedia thrown at you in dissent.

He is saying one particular train derailment was not a big deal, because nobody was seriously injured in that specific instance. This is not the same thing as saying that train derailments are, in general, not a big deal. I'm not really sure why you're conflating the two ideas.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Solkanar512 posted:

And where do you think those poor persons commuting actually work? Who do you think staffs those bars and restaurants?

But that just means that parking's only available to people who can afford the high fees, regardless of how much they need it. A poor person used to have at least the chance of getting lucky and finding a space, but now they're shut out of parking entirely.
Presumably if you need it for work, then having cheap parking that's also unreliably available is a no-go; you need something that always works. Even among the poor, I think you'll find that as many are supportive of the idea of more expensive but more reliable parking over cheap lottery ticket parking that might screw you over as are against it.

Also even if parking is too expensive at the exact location you're going, that doesn't mean you're blocked from using your car entirely. Due to a certain horrible freeway exit, I used to sometimes commute to work split car/bike, parking a couple miles away.

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

fishmech posted:

The inner cores, sure. But once you leave that, a whole ton of cities now have suburbs that might as well be copy-pasted out of the LA or Atlanta or Boston suburbs. Vast swathes of cookie cutter houses slapped up in a field outside Paris or Madrid, say, within easy access to the motorway. In some countries these primarily attract the middle/upper-middle class, in others they're a further pushing out of the low income classes from the cities. And in tandem there's car usage growing faster, and the cars already in use being driven more.

And there's places like the UK where there are plenty of sprawling suburbs that are theoretically livable with just public transit but in practice the residents almost always commute and run many of their errands by car.

If the outer regions are packed with traffic it matters much less than if the core is. If suburbanites take the car to big box mall to buy toilet paper that's fine, the problem is if all of them are going to try to drive to work in the inner city core because that will necessitate huge infrastructure to store all their cars. I don't think anybody things we can kill the car, but we can encourage going car less and build our infrastructure towards that goal. That's why many European city's is expanding public transport while trying to limit the number of cars on the road through congestion fares. The alternative is to build more highways and parking spaces.

Basically the rule is to make cars LESS friendly to drive, and more options for leaving the car behind. This can include parking spaces next to public transport, but better yet is just public transport to public transport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

White Rock posted:

If the outer regions are packed with traffic it matters much less than if the core is.

The cores are already packed with traffic, and have been for decades. Particularly in cities like Brussels and London.

White Rock posted:

The alternative is to build more highways and parking spaces.

They've been building a ton more highways and motorways all across Europe, especially because of the ongoing growth of truck-based shipping, due to lack of suitable freight railroad options (unlike the United States) and there are certainly a ton more parking lots built in the outlying areas.