Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

SirKibbles posted:

Oh the wolf didn't stay because budget you know this do not lie to yourself.

I love how much they zoomed in to the eyes of a clearly Husky or something to save money. That was no wolf but clearly a good doge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Thundercracker posted:

I love how much they zoomed in to the eyes of a clearly Husky or something to save money. That was no wolf but clearly a good doge.

I think upthread it was mentioned that the budget is 15milly an episode, but 10m of that is the top 5 actor's salaries.

Prestige television is all a big bait-and-switch. Give us a few seasons of good writing and compelling characters with incredible production values, then we're invested and you can give us a few more of rancid schlock with corners cut on vfx and costumes out of the hot topic thrift bin and we eat it up because of television sunk cost phallus and wanting to know how it all ends.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

hanales posted:

The entire scene was hacky, but at least that part made sense. Written terribly though.

I enjoyed most of the rest of it, however. And I like that poo poo is moving. Arya will be at winterfell next episode to chill w Sansa and Bran while Jon is off boning his cousin.

Cousin loving is way too pedestrian for Gurm. Jon will be loving his aunt.

Too bad the genders aren't reversed; it would've been amusing to see the Uncle Fucker song from the south park movie come back into vogue.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

WampaLord posted:

It's definitely 100% Nymeria, why would it be some random direwolf?

The reason Nymeria doesn't go with her is either Arya has changed too much or Nymeria has changed too much, that's why the line is weird.

At the time I wasn't understanding why she wasn't going to Arya, so I was searching for any possibility. Like perhaps D & D was doing a fakeout because everyone was expecting it to be Nymeria.

I mean, is Arya that terrible? She seemed okay talking to Hot Pie and upon finding out that Jon was in Winterfell. She was the same ol nice Arya Stark when she was eating with Lannister soldiers last week. If they wanted us to immediately think she was corrupted and "no one", she should have murdered Ed Sheeran in his sleep. In that case, it would have been obvious why Nymeria wouldn't want anything to do with her.

I guess I don't buy for a second that she is no one or an unemotionless assassin. So the scene and line doesn't work for me. I wouldn't think she would reject Arya because Arya is so different because that's not what I'm seeing.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Meant to post this here but put it in the GBS thread by mistake, whoops.

If Euron could just smash Asha's fleet the way he did, what reason does he have to ally himself with Cersei, especially when she has basically nothing at her disposal? He just wants to marry her that bad? I don't have a handle on what his big picture motives are.

The giant crossbow thing really annoys me as well -- I don't understand why they didn't just go with introducing the dragon horn. I don't think it would've been too late to do so and it would make more sense on multiple narrative levels, IMO.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

TommyGun85 posted:

Sam's leprosy cure makes no sense. I guess its just topical and doesnt infect the bloodstream at all....especially when you carve it off. the procedure is banned because the surgeon forgot to wear personal protective equipment.

I like how Sam let Jorah grab the rum, then grabs the rum back from Jorah. Pus squirting all over as he pulls off the skin. Sam's now got a ton of tools with Stoneskin on them and by all rights should be infected but no way they'll actually do that.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

She needs to stop trying to 100% ASOIF without ever using the dragon power ups though.

As soon as the dragons show up they're gonna get hurt and/or killed and I'm curious if they're gonna kill all three of 'em.

The change in travel speed is fairly noticeable. Also wonder if Jorah will need any healing time considering half his body was just peeled off.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

RumbleFish posted:

The giant crossbow thing really annoys me as well -- I don't understand why they didn't just go with introducing the dragon horn. I don't think it would've been too late to do so and it would make more sense on multiple narrative levels, IMO.

The concept is fine, but the way it was revealed as a secret weapon was dumb.

"Our strategy is to do the same poo poo we did 300 years ago."

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

RumbleFish posted:

Because the writers (correctly) assume that most viewers are pretty slow at picking up on things and introducing a new magical dragon horn would confuse them. People can understand big bow shoots big arrow. I don't know if you've noticed but half the dialogue in the show now is just reminding viewers who people are and what has happened in previous episodes.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

some guy on the bus posted:

I wouldn't think she would reject Arya because Arya is so different because that's not what I'm seeing.

You still don't understand the line. Nymeria isn't walking away because of how much Arya has changed; the wolf is leaving because it's no longer a subservient follower and instead has her own wolf pack and life.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I mean, is Arya that terrible? She seemed okay talking to Hot Pie and upon finding out that Jon was in Winterfell. She was the same ol nice Arya Stark when she was eating with Lannister soldiers last week.

She literally just got done murdering 40 something Freys, many of whom I'm sure had no role to play in the Red Wedding.

I wouldn't think she would reject Arya because Arya is so different because that's not what I'm seeing.

I think it's a bit of "You're not the same Arya" and also a bit of "I'm not a domesticated animal anymore, I don't follow people orders."

As for not murdering Ed Shireen and his gang, now I can see that it's meant to show Arya turning away from her assassin path and starting to regain her humanity, which is why there's the big scene of her deciding whether to go South or North after she learns that Jon's alive.

Edit:

Atoramos posted:

You still don't understand the line. Nymeria isn't walking away because of how much Arya has changed; the wolf is leaving because it's no longer a subservient follower and instead has her own wolf pack and life.

Yea, it's mainly this.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 24, 2017

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

I wonder what Dany's grand plan is with the Horde once she actually wins? Those people she's so cautious about offending will need to learn to love the Hill People, Wildlings, and Dothraki pretty quick.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
It would've been a lot cleaner to say something like "she has her own pack now."

Not only would the meaning be clearer, it would more obviously reinforce the idea that Arya is returning to her own pack.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
We are not gonna see Ghost this season lmao

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
A little thing: Dany said something about sending a raven. How is she going to do that? They didn't have any maesters around nor any mention of sending ravens when they were in Essos, and Dragonstone was completely deserted when they arrived. Where did they suddenly get ravens and a maester to handle them from?

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Atoramos posted:

I like how Sam let Jorah grab the rum, then grabs the rum back from Jorah. Pus squirting all over as he pulls off the skin. Sam's now got a ton of tools with Stoneskin on them and by all rights should be infected but no way they'll actually do that.

Not to mention going SHH with his gross gloved finger almost touching his lips. I know they don't know about germs, but that should still trigger an eww gross reaction.

Also how much do you wanna bet Jorah spends one episode with some bandages and is totally fine afterwards.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Phi230 posted:

We are not gonna see Ghost this season lmao

Ghost is in all the snow shots. Just can't see him!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kopijeger posted:

A little thing: Dany said something about sending a raven. How is she going to do that? They didn't have any maesters around nor any mention of sending ravens when they were in Essos, and Dragonstone was completely deserted when they arrived. Where did they suddenly get ravens and a maester to handle them from?

I assume Varys has ways of getting access to some.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Kopijeger posted:

There was a maester with ravens just hanging out with the tonnes of horse feed in the basement of Dragonstone.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

WampaLord posted:

She literally just got done murdering 40 something Freys, many of whom I'm sure had no role to play in the Red Wedding.

I wouldn't assume that. All Freys in the show have been pretty one dimensionally evil. They should have showed some good Freys talking about their families and hardships before the scene started if they wanted it to come off as more than good guy taking out a bunch of bad guys.

Atoramos posted:

It's both. It has to be. What would be the point of bringing Nymeria back from Season 1 to say she has no feelings about Arya anymore if it implies nothing about Arya?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I just love that the secret procedure to get rid of stoneskin is literally to just cut it all off.

Who would have thought?

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

Captain Splendid posted:

"The CGI guys say we can't afford more than 30s of screentime, girl."

Am i missing something here? It looked like a blown-up real animal to me. The composition required for that is routine compared to complex CGI characters. Most of the difficulty comes from shooting live animals and having them perform.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Nail Rat posted:

I just love that the secret procedure to get rid of stoneskin is literally to just cut it all off.

Who would have thought?

They know about it it's just incredibly dangerous

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

Who would have thought?

The problem is that Westeros doesn't have sterilized instruments and whatnot, so the risk of getting infected when treating a patient is super huge. Since Maesters are so rare, and thus valuable, they put a greater value on remaining alive then helping a few poor fucks with greyscale.

There's also no version of the Hippocratic Oath that they take, they do not have to help someone.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

Who would have thought?

Cutting it off isn't the "cure", it's what follows. People complain and yet are too dumb to listen to what is explained onscreen.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

RumbleFish posted:

If Euron could just smash Asha's fleet the way he did, what reason does he have to ally himself with Cersei, especially when she has basically nothing at her disposal? He just wants to marry her that bad? I don't have a handle on what his big picture motives are.

He has no other play? Can't ally with Dany since his niece and nephew beat him to it and can poison the well. He could sit idly on the sideline and hope whoever takes over in the end deems it acceptable to crown Euron King of the Iron Isles.

Or he could ally up with the down-on-their-everything on-paper ruling house of Westeros and hope to come out of it as the Lord of the Seven Kingdoms

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

quote:

Cutting it off isn't the "cure", it's what follows. People complain and yet are too dumb to listen to what is explained onscreen.

Yes, yes, he applies some ointment too but it's not some secret or difficult to obtain one since he got it in a day and there wasn't any shot of him doing anything special to get it. Still seems pretty handwavy to me.

People were speculating last week it might have something to do with dragonglass, that would at least be obscure enough to be plausible.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Like one touch of any of Jorahs skin to Sam's outer clothing, and Sam touching the clothing, is enough to get Sam sick

It's like handling Ebola

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Nail Rat posted:

Yes, yes, he applies some ointment too but it's not some secret or difficult to obtain one since he got it in a day and there wasn't any shot of him doing anything special to get it. Still seems pretty handwavy to me.

The maester literally says "that's forbidden because it's too dangerous"

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah but Sam could easily cut it off and apply the salve as he just made greyscale a non-issue.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

LinkesAuge posted:

They only showed Sam cutting the grey poo poo off, there's not too much to blame

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
And who says Bengay Transplant is the cure and not just treatment

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Next episode Sam is probably gonna feed Jorah dragon glass so they can check that dangling plotline off too.

At this point I feel like there writers have completely lost the plot with Arya. They seem to be retreading the same story Arya has had every season, it's just that now the contradictions between the two paths presented are so much larger that it beggars belief. Arya is back to "excited to meet my family" but now it's after she's committed a deeply twisted triple murder followed by an assassination plot on the scale of the red wedding by herself. Then even after all that, one rumor about Jon from hot pie, and it's like every season since the first couple didn't happen.

I don't know what Arya's story is supposed to be about in the show and I don't think the runners know either.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

When all's said and done I'm surely the last two episodes will be great. It's just a downer how the recent seasons can't kick off in the same way

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Why did Sam save Jorah? Did he even know who he is? And if he did, why would he save him? He's Dany's disgraced Lieutenant.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

jokes posted:

Why did Sam save Jorah? Did he even know who he is? And if he did, why would he save him? He's Dany's disgraced Lieutenant.

Oh my god, you're so bad at watching the show.

Sam explicitly says "You're Jorah Mormont, I served under your dad, you deserve to be saved."

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

WampaLord posted:

Oh my god, you're so bad at watching the show.

Sam explicitly says "You're Jorah Mormont, I served under your dad, you deserve to be saved."

Literally says this when he walks into the room.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

jokes posted:

He does know? They dedicate a ton of dialogue to explaining this right in the episode my dude? Sam tells him what esteem he held his father in, he probably doesn't know a ton about Jorah the man, just that he's the son of the Lord Commander of the Watch that he thought was a cool dude, and Sam is established as a pretty altruistic guy. so he's doing his kid a solid.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Also it's not hard to imagine as an outcast son of a noble family he'd feel a kinship with Jorah on that front as well.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I feel like a lot of people half-watch this show while playing bejewelled and doing the dishes or whatever, which is why we get so many scenes that are characters re-establishing every plot and character point from the past 6 seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Jon and Sea Dad are going to need a bigger boat for this trip down south. They need room to rescue Theon from the ocean, help Gendry off his row boat, run across Arya (who will want to snag Hot Pie to lure Nymeria and her pack with meat pies), and pick up Sam and Jorah from maester land.

• Locked thread