Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Skyl3lazer posted:

Guys I managed to make an outfit that doesn't look total poo poo w/ the harbinger crown effect

A good effort, but I still don't like the way it looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I just rejiggered my whole gear loadout to accomodate a Bisco's Collar and I haven't really noticed a difference :shrug:

Quant isnt something you can reasonably notice without at least a little bookkeeping. In Legacy League if you map for 5 hours and at the end count how many jeweler orbs you got from raw drops and from 6 socket items, then the next day you equip 30% goldwyrm, 24% sadimas, and a 20/20 iiq gem and do the same 5 hours of mapping you will end up with about twice as much as the day before. Its nearly impossible to have enough iiq and iir to be noticeable in a single map.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

funmanguy posted:

A good effort, but I still don't like the way it looks.

The Harbinger effects look like migraine auras.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

terrified of my bathroom posted:

Berserker DP and ele conversion builds (BV, BF, FB) seem to be big winners so far. Having gotten around to playing with berserker DP, its incredibly silly and I have no idea why they didn't nerf berserker going into this league

Berserker is one streamer calling attention to how crazy the lifesteal passive is from being nerfed by next league, sorta like how baron was 1c the previous leagues and 200c this league.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Berserker is one streamer calling attention to how crazy the lifesteal passive is from being nerfed by next league, sorta like how baron was 1c the previous leagues and 200c this league.

Baron got its rarity rebalanced too, I think; last league it felt like I was tripping over them everywhere I looked

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, I've been playing a DP berserker myself, after abandoning my frostblades raider starter. The berserker is just clearly better, and I am closing in on level 90 with him now. Currently using a 5L pledge of hands and a cherrubim's maleficence as I farm up currency for high-tier gear. At about 300 chaos and 4 exalted right now. Looking to get a 6L pledge and/or a kaom's heart. The friends I am playing with who are doing cyclone slayer and sunder berserker can't really keep up.

I would hold that cloaked in savagry + vaal pact is one of the most powerful combinations in the game right now. The fact that you get the 40% more on top of it is nutty. Berserker is just really, really strong right now.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I told myself to avoid flipping items so much this league, but seems like every 5 minutes some random guy puts up a item with nearly perfect rolls in every affix and sells it to the first person of 50 to message for some pocket lint.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

It is definitely the easiest way to make currency, but with the volume of trading going on it is easy to do so much flipping that you aren't actually spending much time playing the game. You really want program to poll the API and get a lead on items before they hit poe.trade. It is easily the most lucrative thing you can do, but it also gets tiresome pretty quickly. I play to have fun and find neat stuff, not to amass a fortune.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

nerox posted:

Are you using poeapp.com or poe.trade? poe.trade has been a horrible mess thats lagged behind all season.

poe.trade because it has a non retard interface

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

Filthy Monkey posted:

Yeah, I've been playing a DP berserker myself, after abandoning my frostblades raider starter. The berserker is just clearly better, and I am closing in on level 90 with him now. Currently using a 5L pledge of hands and a cherrubim's maleficence as I farm up currency for high-tier gear. At about 300 chaos and 4 exalted right now. Looking to get a 6L pledge and/or a kaom's heart. The friends I am playing with who are doing cyclone slayer and sunder berserker can't really keep up.

I would hold that cloaked in savagry + vaal pact is one of the most powerful combinations in the game right now. The fact that you get the 40% more on top of it is nutty. Berserker is just really, really strong right now.

What Dark Pact build are you using I am looking at a couple and not sure which one I would like more.

dead in real life
Jun 17, 2012
So is it fair to say the reason Baron is coveted for SRS is solely due to a single mod (strength is added to minions)? Most don't bother with zombies, and in the final build you want your minion gems in your 6L so the +2 mod doesn't seem to be of any use there. I guess it must be a hell of a damage increase?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Its not unreasonable to be able to stack 1000 strength at endgame, which is 200% increased melee phys damage for your minions. That's pretty drat good considering all the hp you get for stacking strength too.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

dead in real life posted:

So is it fair to say the reason Baron is coveted for SRS is solely due to a single mod (strength is added to minions)? Most don't bother with zombies, and in the final build you want your minion gems in your 6L so the +2 mod doesn't seem to be of any use there. I guess it must be a hell of a damage increase?

zombies are very good in 3.0, not bothering with them is not wise now

the life leech at 1000 strength is a big deal too

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Do linked gems need to be adjacent to each other to provide bonuses?

If I have three linked sockets like this:

pre:
B

|
v

B

|
v

G
Will the bottom G provide bonuses to the top B, or only the middle B?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I forgot about commander of darkness and purity of elements, so now I'm overvalued by like 50+. Do I just roll with it or do I replace all my rares with stuff with more life?

Related, I tried the midnight bargain on my spectre build, and it was way too rippy. Pretty cool when I wasn't getting one shot though.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

pre:
B

|
v

B

|
v

G

They have to be linked together to effect eachother, everything linked together will effect eachother if they do support eachother.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

enraged_camel posted:

pre:
B

|
v

B

|
v

G

If you mouse over the support gem the gems it's supporting will highlight.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

pre:
B

|
v

B

|
v

G

Gems affect every applicable skill in a contiguous set of links

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Just DLed the game last night. Read the OP, and watched https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7GqFLebBU8inlrcqTZFXtIwP362XrdNe guy's beginner's guide which was really helpful.

As I Understand it, the class choice/ascendancies you make, isn't really important. It seems like if you get to the late game, there are enough sockets and points to distribute to make your character pretty useful no matter how you choose your class...

That being said, are there any classes/ascendancies that stand out? Weak classes/strong classes? What are some of the popular vs. most un-popular class/ascendancies out there?

Thanks for the help, I can't wait to get started when I get home from work and try to get in the guild through Discord later.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

enraged_camel posted:

Of course not. If that were the case, there would never be a point in anything higher than 3L.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Dennis McClaren posted:

Just DLed the game last night. Read the OP, and watched https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7GqFLebBU8inlrcqTZFXtIwP362XrdNe guy's beginner's guide which was really helpful.

As I Understand it, the class choice/ascendancies you make, isn't really important. It seems like if you get to the late game, there are enough sockets and points to distribute to make your character pretty useful no matter how you choose your class...

That being said, are there any classes/ascendancies that stand out? Weak classes/strong classes? What are some of the popular vs. most un-popular class/ascendancies out there?

Thanks for the help, I can't wait to get started when I get home from work and try to get in the guild through Discord later.

ascendancy choice is vital, it needs to be something that benefits the skills you want to use

but pretty much every ascendancy has viable builds so in that sense none of them are wrong choices

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Is the OP still relevant, as far as ascendancy descriptions? Or have these "general descriptions" changed since the OP was published? A lot of these descriptions sound downright boring...

J posted:

• The Witch
    Intelligence focused character, starts with the fireball skill gem. She starts at the north side of the skill tree. A good pick for any spellcaster or summoner type character.

[list]Witch Ascendancies
  • Necromancer: Focuses on minion boosts, but also allows minion buffs (offerings) to apply to the player. Very potent group support options available.
  • Occultist: Focuses on dealing chaos damage and curse potency. Also makes energy shield a much more potent defense. +1 Power Charge and +1 Curse available.
  • Elementalist: Focuses on dealing elemental damage, creating and spreading ailments. Helps mitigate elemental damage reflection. +1 Golem available.

[*]The Templar
Intelligence + strength. Old man who doesn't wear pants. Starts with the glacial hammer skill gem, on the northwest end of the passive skill tree. Suitable for all sorts of builds both melee and caster alike.

Templar Ascendancies
  • Inquisitor: Focuses on ignoring resistances to deal obscene amounts of elemental damage, often via melee attacks. Great for spellcasters too. Consecrated ground available.
  • Hierophant: Focuses on making elemental totems more potent and allows more of them to be summoned. Also offers notable Mind over Matter boosts. +3 Psuedo-Five-Links available.
  • Guardian: Focuses on providing extra defenses to the player and party members/allies. Multiple support auras available.

[*]The Marauder
Strength. Barbarian brute. Smash things, lots of life. Starts with heavy strike, on the southwest end of the passive skill tree. Good for melee builds and also certain types of caster builds, one of his Ascendancy subclasses is fire damage and totem focused.

Marauder Ascendancies
  • Juggernaut: Focuses on being more of a tank than Champion, but without the group benefits. +1 Endurance Charge Available.
  • Berserker: Focuses on dealing/taking lots and lots of damage and leeching lots and lots of life to survive. 40% Damage multiplier available.
  • Chieftan: Focuses on fire damage delivered via spell/attack totems, granting combat/defensive bonuses and life leech through them to the player. Ignite immunity available.

[*]The Duelist
Strength + dexterity. Suave motherfucker. Good for any kind of melee build (1h/shield, dual wield, 2handed). Starts with double strike, on the south end of the skill tree.

Duelist Ascendancies
  • Gladiator: Focuses on blocking attacks and spells and/or making everything bleed to death and possibly explode. Good for 1h+shield or dual wield builds.
  • Slayer: Focuses on 2h melee with huge life leech, and instakilling enemies below 20% health.
  • Champion: Focuses on damage mitigation via fortify and being a tank in general, with taunts and minor group support. Permanent Fortify available.

[*]The Ranger
Dexterity. Excellent for bows builds, but she can be played with melee skills as well. Starts with burning arrow on the southeast end of the skill tree.

Ranger Ascendancies
  • Raider: Focuses mostly on attack based builds, providing frenzy charge generation and phasing/dodge-based defenses. Lots of movement speed. +1 Frenzy Charge available.
  • Deadeye: Focuses on making projectiles (mostly from attacks, not spells) do fancy things like chain and return and apply extra damage. +1 Projectile available.
  • Pathfinder: Focuses on making flasks even more stupidly powerful, providing ailment/bleed immunity and poison delivery. Play if you enjoy pushing 12345 all the time.

[*]The Shadow
Dexterity + intelligence. Starts with viper strike, on the northeast area of the skill tree. Shadows can be played with many different build types, and tends to be focused on critical strikes and/or damage over time.

Shadow Ascendancies
  • Assassin: Focuses on critical strikes and critical damage, as well as delivering poison and doing more damage with it. +1 Power Charge available.
  • Saboteur: Focuses on being sad while making traps and mines very much more effective. General lack of solid defensive options.
  • Trickster: Focuses on damage over time of any flavor, granting bonuses for kills with it. Relies on evasion and energy shield defenses. +1 Frenzy Charge and Power Charge available (together!)

[*]The Scion
The "advanced" class, starts right in the middle of the tree. Must be unlocked on your account by playing through the story and finding her in a cage in the area before the final boss of act3. (Note: I'm not sure if the Fall of Oriath is changing this at all.) A very versatile starting point with lots of easy to reach jewel nodes, although the nodes next to the scion start aren't as good as nodes at the very start of the other classes. The versatility of being right in the middle of the tree makes up for that though. Starts with spectral throw.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Lol the op is like a week old

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

When planning a character, it's less 'which class fits my playstylr' and more 'which skill gem do I want to focus on.' Once you pick a skill, then you choose a class and build that complements it.

Essentially every ascendancy has viable builds, but saboteur and Scion are probably weaker than the others, while if you read the last page or so, it looks like berserker may be a little too good.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Also while the relative power and utitlity of those classes might change, as might some specific bonuses, the general archetypes they conform to are gonna be constant

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Dennis McClaren posted:

Is the OP still relevant, as far as ascendancy descriptions? Or have these "general descriptions" changed since the OP was published? A lot of these descriptions sound downright boring...

It's worth noting those are abstract overviews and almost every ascendancy has some game changing passives that aren't mentioned there (though it does offer a good overview of them if you're already a little familiar with the game). e.g. raider is one of the most popular ascendancies because it makes you in to a non-stop murder machine, which doesn't really come across in the op's description.

The only ascendancies I'd actually consider boring are champion and guardian.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Those Ascendancy descriptions are super generic too (on purpose). It takes a bit more research before you get that "Oh snap, <x> and <y> let me do <z>!" moment.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Dennis McClaren posted:

you have to play for a bit to understand why their bonuses are cool

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Count Uvula posted:

It's worth noting those are abstract overviews and almost every ascendancy has some game changing passives that aren't mentioned there (though it does offer a good overview of them if you're already a little familiar with the game). e.g. raider is one of the most popular ascendancies because it makes you in to a non-stop murder machine, which doesn't really come across in the op's description.

The only ascendancies I'd actually consider boring are champion and guardian.

Guardian used to have the 'get a billion ES' gimmick but idk if its good after nerfs. Saboteur kinda sucks but would be fun if buffed.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008
Need an invite to the guild. name is : CreepyGreenLight

Thanks in advance.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Knightsoul posted:

Need an invite to the guild. name is : CreepyGreenLight

Thanks in advance.

Me as well please. Name is : Mazeltov_Cocktail

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
So all my chars either ripped or I lost interested in playing them (hi, Mr. Flameblast Totem Templar). I've started another alt - this time a Sunder Raider, following https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1873405

I'm pleasantly surprised but this can even be a SSF HC leaguestarter if people want - which I wouldn't normally consider that a Raider is good for. First time I managed to get to Act 9 in 3.0, most previous chars were ripping at Act 5 boss or got smashed by ghosted Kole.

The guide has one of the nicest trees which I've seen in PoE - where while leveling you're getting mostly more tankiness (life) and utility stuff (frenzy charge, life steal, gladiator start) , working your way to resolute technique, then mostly more tankiness (marauder start, scion life wheel) and a bit of damage. And once you're tanky, you can choose a weapon to specialize in, where the damage numbers start going in - depending on whatever you find, you can get +dam for axes or maces. Or if you get a great sword - switch to Blade Flurry (slightly bigger effort though) and use +dam for swords. You can also use 2h if you want instead of shield and 1hand.

I'm using some crafted (+phys% +flat phys) mace with 1.3s attack speed mace and the gameplay is so fast that I constantly need to slow down to make sure that I won't rip. 5 frenzy charges + Blood Frenzy (not necessary tbh, using it only for attack speed for faster leap slaming around the map) + Ancestral Protector (once more, attack speed, mostly for bosses) make it really crazy fast.

I'm running a 4-link as the main damage dealer (Sunder - Multistrike - Melee Phys - Fortify), didn't found any 5 links yet which I could use. So far with all the charges up I have about 9k DPS, 3.9k life (level 63).

The only thing is that now that I described this, I'm sure that the char will die today :(

kaaj fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 14, 2017

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

interrodactyl posted:

you want my build for the thing that goes fast

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/interrodactyl/characters?charactername=PleaseBuffPathfinder

queen of the forest blade vortex lab runner

weapon swap is important here

now we're talkin'

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Need some help figuring out exactly how rich I just became.

Other 400+ pDPS 1h axes on poe.trade range from 7.5 to 25 ex, but none have crit chance

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 14, 2017

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I dunno if the crit really adds much since axe builds usually go RT, or just don't build towards crit at all. Still a big ol' score though, gratz

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Yeah I wondered if that might be the case. Thanks. Listed for 10 ex for now

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Beo posted:

What Dark Pact build are you using I am looking at a couple and not sure which one I would like more.
Not directly following a build. I started mine before a lot of the builds came out. The tree basically builds itself with dark pact though. The real choices are gear. I like the pledge of hands option with kaoms/cheribum's for the combination of power and safety, as it enables MoM and gives you a little block. I see carcass jack and double apeps (or even void batteries) as being a more aggressive, less defensive option.

You can look at my current gear, not that it is any sort of ideal. Look at MonkeyPact. My jewelry in particular is pretty poo poo, and the belt needs work, but the rest is okay. Still haven't bothered picking up MoM yet, but I probably will. I want to try the apep setup first, to see how it plays.
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/FilthyMonkey/characters

Need to work a cwdt setup in there too. Just been lazy about it.

DP VP Berserker is super fun though. You explode entire rooms at a time. I handily recommend it, and think it is only going to get more popular (until they nerf VP and/or berserker, anyway).

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 14, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I used to know by why is physical to elemental conversion so good .

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My SR RF MoM Inquisitor, CiaphasKamehameha, is able to do T14s no sweat and T15s with a bit of luck and probably some deaths. I'd like to be able to try my hand at Guardians and Shaper. Are there any notable improvements left to be made here that would help me cross that wall, or am I getting near the point where the build reliability peters out?

I'm rather poor at this point unfortunately, yesterday was not good for loot considering how much I spent on chisels, alchs, scours and the odd Vaal. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

euphronius posted:

I used to know by why is physical to elemental conversion so good .

you can scale both the phys and ele part, you can stack penetration which functions like a more multiplier, ele effects are powerful