Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I was definitely talking about "major scale, but it starts on the nth scale degree" is primarily how I think of modes. I also use the method of think of major scale but flatten or sharpen certain notes.

landgrabber posted:

in a broader music theory context, parallel keys are generally closer to each other than relative keys. it sucks because you want to just memorize "oh D dorian is C major" but in the grand scheme of things what opens up the world is actually having a good concept of the feel of the different modes. the same way major and minor have a feel-- the same way natural minor and harmonic minor have a feel, even.

yes, and in that sense, I can get stuck in the parent major (C major scale played from nth degree), meaning it is harder to consider accents for any borrowed chords. Wheres selecting right parallel key feels more like a binary choice between "is this feeling major or is this minor". and then hopefully have a good gut feel for the intervals from there to select the right flats. They did invent the pentatonic to get you out of this mess if needed.

If you have a really great understanding of where all the notes as numbers are in every key as sort of a mental fretboard projection (without even thinking of the tone), well that's great too, but I think I've relegated my self to my memory doesn't work that way reliably enough. So in that case, substituting in strong tonal feel and muscle memory for the intervals, in practice much is much less thinking and frees me up to focus on the melody (and timing)

I do find sometimes when I get in the zone thinking the parent major I often feel like I'm reducing the entire progressions to a binary decision between even triads on one chord, and odd triads a second chord. Combined with a feel for the accentuations from the melody and I'm not doing any math in my head.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Nueral dsp stuff is on sale finally. I picked up gojira and Tim Henson and both absolutely loving rule

I think I found out using my helix I am not a tone seeker I just want sounds that wail and these absolutely do with very little effort.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
i favor the "major/minor scale with accidental" method because it helps me see which tone is the "special" one. you do need to have a strong grasp of major & natural minor scale shapes for that method, with knowledge of which notes are which scale degree

i still struggle with remembering the diatonic chords for modes. in that case i usually fall back to the relative scale, which is super slow for me

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Nueral dsp stuff is on sale finally. I picked up gojira and Tim Henson and both absolutely loving rule

I think I found out using my helix I am not a tone seeker I just want sounds that wail and these absolutely do with very little effort.

I'm strongly considering getting one, but I'm not really sure which. I have guitar rig 5 le or whatever the teaser version is, which seems to do fine for the basics. Gojira seems to cover lots of missing ground, plus the effects seem pretty useful and nice.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

havelock posted:

I'm strongly considering getting one, but I'm not really sure which. I have guitar rig 5 le or whatever the teaser version is, which seems to do fine for the basics. Gojira seems to cover lots of missing ground, plus the effects seem pretty useful and nice.

Gojira spoke to me with the all the crunch sounds. People say Petrucci is the most versatile if you're only going to get one. It was my early favorite before I demoed Gojira

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Gojira spoke to me with the all the crunch sounds. People say Petrucci is the most versatile if you're only going to get one. It was my early favorite before I demoed Gojira

I grabbed the demos of both and have spent just a little time with them. The Petrucci cleans definitely get cleaner, but the Gojira crunch / hi gain stuff sounded better to me.

I'll probably try out Tim Henson, too, before deciding.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Any thread thoughts on an Ibanez RG655 Prestige from 2014? I can't really find many prices of these so hard to figure out what it's worth.

It's a boring colour, seller says Starlight blue, but I'm pretty sure it's actually Cobalt Blue Metallic (CBM) according to Ibanez Wiki. Firestorm Orange Metallic (FSO) would be my dream but alas...

It's got the following pickups in it too:

Seymour Duncan Nazgul in the bridge position;
Seymour Duncan Sentient in the neck position.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So Schecter guitars are pretty good right? Giving some thought to one, I like a bunch of their shapes like the Ultracore and Robert Smith Ultracure. I noticed they do some with filtertrons, although they are only on Cabronita-style tele-alikes, my least favorite archetype. Just wish their website made it easier to explore the range for the uninitiated.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Red_Fred posted:

Any thread thoughts on an Ibanez RG655 Prestige from 2014? I can't really find many prices of these so hard to figure out what it's worth.

It's a boring colour, seller says Starlight blue, but I'm pretty sure it's actually Cobalt Blue Metallic (CBM) according to Ibanez Wiki. Firestorm Orange Metallic (FSO) would be my dream but alas...

It's got the following pickups in it too:

Seymour Duncan Nazgul in the bridge position;
Seymour Duncan Sentient in the neck position.

Reverb has them going between 700-1000
Those pickups are $200 on their own so if it's something you really want you could go on the higher end of that range
You could probably be pretty happy offering $800-$850

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

where would i ask about a general musicianship question that overlaps heavily with E/N

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Reverb has them going between 700-1000
Those pickups are $200 on their own so if it's something you really want you could go on the higher end of that range
You could probably be pretty happy offering $800-$850

Thank you for this!

I live in New Zealand so our moon-dollars are a little different, however, generally things are 10-30% more expensive here. They have it for $1,400 NZD buy now so I guess that's a decent price.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

landgrabber posted:

where would i ask about a general musicianship question that overlaps heavily with E/N

post it here it'll be fine

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
LG, c'mon. We've been down this road before.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

it's pretty constructive e/n. at least, i think.

so one of the fun things about me is that i have Complex PTSD from my lovely mom. i was told a few years ago, but with hormones making me more emotional and kind of killing as much of the dissociation, and trying to be more of an adult... it's started to hit me more how much i need to deal with it.

one of these ways is that i've really struggled in music school because i have baggage that comes up in lessons and practice. i don't know that i've ever practiced guitar, unless you count "playing along to blue and pinkerton".

my mom was a terrible math teacher and taught me math when i was really young. i had a lot of stress because of that-- she'd give me a worksheet, and i'd do it, and she'd come back and tell me all the things i got wrong, and then leave, and i'd get stuck because she hadn't taught me correctly or couldn't teach me correctly, or maybe i had zoned out or something, but didn't want to tell her that because she would get upset at me if she knew i had stopped listening. i used to feel that kind of weird heat in my head where you can just tell that your brain is flooded with cortisol. eventually she'd get so frustrated that she would just literally hold my hand holding a pencil, and solve the problem. my brain would shut off and i'd zone out. it was only recently that i realized this was probably why i used to space out like clockwork whenever math class started after i started going to public school.

anyway, i hadn't thought about this for a long time before a couple of weeks ago, i was wondering why i could never practice. like, there was always reluctance, the same way i avoid situations or telling people things they won't like, because i'm used to being freaked out on for it. why i have a negative association with practice?

and then one day i was doing it, or i was in a piano lesson, or something and i felt that feeling in my brain again, and i realized that i think those associations with the process of doing something and then focusing on your mistakes being emotionally fraught, and having a lot of baggage there, is why i have a hard time getting myself to practice.

i guess i'm really curious to talk to other musicians or people with PTSD that maybe had a similar problem and were hopefully able to get past it, or something, or just... figure out a way to work through that or something

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

also i swear i will go to a therapist when i can afford it but right now, i'm just getting by by the skin of my teeth, sometimes not even that, so i'm curious what i can do on my own

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

havelock posted:

I grabbed the demos of both and have spent just a little time with them. The Petrucci cleans definitely get cleaner, but the Gojira crunch / hi gain stuff sounded better to me.

I'll probably try out Tim Henson, too, before deciding.

Ha. Henson didn't grab me but both Nolly and Cory Wong sounded good, too. Cpu usage seemed pretty high with most of them though.

Edit: landgrabber - I don't have personal experience here but a close friend with mom ptsd recommends Shadow Daughter by Harriet Brown and Daughter Detox by Peg Streep. They have some biotruthy crap in them apparently but my friend is queer (though not trans) and still found them valuable.

havelock fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 19, 2022

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

sorry to hear about your bad experiences!

landgrabber posted:

also i swear i will go to a therapist when i can afford it but right now, i'm just getting by by the skin of my teeth, sometimes not even that, so i'm curious what i can do on my own

I'm not a therapist and i dont have any relevant experience. They say healing from childhood trauma is hard and takes a long time. If you want my suggestion anyway, your time is best spent cultivating healthy interpersonal relationships built on mutual respect and trust -- how to do that is surely outside the scope of this thread!

But maybe the guitar can help you connect with others? It's helped me out with this here and there

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Helianthus Annuus posted:

sorry to hear about your bad experiences!

I'm not a therapist and i dont have any relevant experience. They say healing from childhood trauma is hard and takes a long time. If you want my suggestion anyway, your time is best spent cultivating healthy interpersonal relationships built on mutual respect and trust -- how to do that is surely outside the scope of this thread!

But maybe the guitar can help you connect with others? It's helped me out with this here and there

oh, other than practice, music is the only thing that's kept me sane, and it's done so much for me.

in high school i didn't really have meaningful friends. in community college music school, it's a small department so everyone kinda knows everyone, and i've actually made friends that i've hung out with outside of school and during the summer, and had good conversations with. and it's the first time i ever had that.

i mean, i never thought i'd ever be able to say "My band", referring to one i started and write the songs for -- i always kind of assumed id have to learn to play all the instruments myself -- and now i have two other musicians who like the songs that i write that i'm very good friends with and who are also really good at their instruments.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Hey LG,

We haven't really interacted but I also have PTSD, come have fun with us over here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3989996. No experts, just sufferers but there's a lot of good info in there recently.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

landgrabber posted:

Like Helianthus says, childhood trauma takes a long-rear end time to overcome. Meditation and therapeutic journaling has done a lot for me in that area (apart from therapy). And it has made me practice guitar more, to keep this slightly on topic.

Also this guy on youtube gets it IMO: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbWvYupGqq3aMJ6LsG4q-Yg/featured

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Here's a free resource for MBSR meditation. https://palousemindfulness.com/
It helps me with my regular anxiety and depression. I don't have PTSD but I've read that MBSR can help with that as well. Best of luck to you LG.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Hang in there LG, PTSD and ADHD are a really tough hand to be dealt in life.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

Hang in there LG, PTSD and ADHD are a really tough hand to be dealt in life.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
i'm going to write a song today. posting for accountability

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

lol i have a killer song entirely written except for lyrics

because i wrote the music about my mom and hoh boy do i not want to go through the process of thinking about my mom for hours and trying to describe the feelings in a way that metrically lines up with the melodies i wrote

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Arcsech posted:

For point 2, give Moises a shot. You upload any audio file and it’ll break out stems and generate a metronome track, and you can vary both the playback speed (in BPM, not %) and key (separately) and mute/solo stems. It’s really nice. It is a subscription for most of the features but it’s like $40/year.

JFYI you fuckin' stole my evening with this post. This tool is really impressive and I split two songs and immediately picked up a monthly sub, then played with Music Things for the next seven hours. This is really good.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
I'm super glad Neural DSP has trial periods so I could remember why I gave up on plugins in the first place. I would have thought latency would be a solved problem by now but lol nope. Maybe its something in my system but even at the lowest available latency settings there was still faint but noticeable input lag. Also gently caress them for making me sign up to some third party licensing bullshit just to try it out.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it'll never be 0, but with an ASIO interface it's imperceptible. I can run at like 1.3 ms all day with a crappy behringer interface. CPU goes up exponentially as you bring it down but usually there's a pretty usable sweet spot.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
The lowest allowable in the settings was 3ms which was still a bit distracting, especially coming from modelers that do effectively have zero latency. If I didn't have the FM3 and Stomp it would probably be tolerable as a way to get decent tones on my computer. But for me, both of those modelers sound and feel way better so no reason to use the plugins. I also don't have to sign on to a website to play the guitar. That part was intensely annoying to me.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Weird - I don't have that issue at all. I was worried at first when I started them up because they defaulted to Windows Audio but once I set them to ASIO with my focusrite driver they were fine.

I have a hard time believing that 3ms is perceptible, honestly. Are you sure something else isn't going on?

I tried even more free trials and my favorite so far is actually Rabea, which no one else seems to recommend as the first plugin. Cleans were nice, crunch sounded good, I really like the Doubler (though I think I can fake it within my daw with a delay and turing on Stereo in in Neural), and the effects were versatile. Also there's that bonkers mono synth thing which was fun, though unlikely to be used regularly. The reverb doesn't have a shimmer, but there's a preset that uses the mono synth to add delayed octave up stuff which sounds similar and interesting.

Plini sounded good but was pretty limited pedal wise.

Gojira's high gain stuff is great, but the cleans are pretty limited.

Petrucci was nice all around (plus the Doubler), but didn't grab me as much.

Cory Wong sounds great clean and has some good crunch, too. It might be neck and neck with Rabea for me.

These all sound better than Guitar Rig 5.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

landgrabber posted:

Musical E/N

Not the same setup obviously, but trans musician with complex PTSD here too. There's no golden bullet for it, sadly. It took years of therapy to be able to talk about it openly and even more to actually be willing to accept things happened at all.

Music was something that "wasn't for me". Our family weren't creative, or artistic, we just did the jobs that needed to be done, that was the mentality. I bought my own lovely Yamaha acoustic pack just out of high school partly out of spite, and partly because I could just do things for myself that no one else would.

Which is kind of why music is my escape, and also why I am not super amazing playing in group situations. I either want to just do everything myself (because people helping is bad actually for so many reasons) or to just be told what to do. But I've been able to express a lot of things through music that I could never just say.

I still find myself falling into old habits especially when working with others, and it's not a thing you just finish, but a constant, permanent thing you just learn to address.

You already know a pro is the way to go and I'm glad, but I will let you know that as you work things out you can actually start to take those feelings, memories, ingrained and trained habits, and twist them as you feel them, making them work for you, not fight you. And that's a powerful feeling :)

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

havelock posted:

Weird - I don't have that issue at all. I was worried at first when I started them up because they defaulted to Windows Audio but once I set them to ASIO with my focusrite driver they were fine.

I have a hard time believing that 3ms is perceptible, honestly. Are you sure something else isn't going on?

So yeah, I played around with it all morning since I also couldn't believe how bad it was when it really shouldn't have been. I finally said gently caress it and uninstalled and reinstalled my interface driver and that seemed to do it. Its a cheap behringer interface and I guess it just got corrupted or something. Once I did that the lag disappeared and the plugin actually sounded good. I still hate the rear end in a top hat DRM and won't buy it because of that but at least I'm not going insane anymore wondering why people like these plugins.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

a.p. dent posted:

i'm going to write a song today. posting for accountability

here's what i got https://vocaroo.com/13TWhnCTlVI1

not a full song, but a solid verse + chorus to work with. don't think i have the energy for anything more in one day

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

thanks to everyone for reading. i'm currently back and forth between being kind of a mess and feeling like the world is my oyster, but i'll have to learn to deal somehow.

now,

i've asked this a million times before, i know, but:

i know a 3nps major and minor scale.

what's a good, doable way to learn my scales, arpeggios, and get better at lead work in general?

at the beginning of guitar methods and stuff, it seems to move really slowly and i kinda glaze over a little. i try to skip ahead and i'm lost. i'm at a really weird spot where my knowledge of theory and stuff is much further ahead than would be typical for an intermediate electric guitar player. and even some of my chord shapes are advanced and i voice my own which is maybe a little beyond intermediate? idk

what's a good/manageable way to study this stuff and get it under the fingers, with purpose?

one of my main issues is that when i look at a tab for a song i like and i want to learn the leads, it can be tricky to find out what positioning the lead work is using and where my fingers should be for good technique, and that sort of thing.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

landgrabber posted:

thanks to everyone for reading. i'm currently back and forth between being kind of a mess and feeling like the world is my oyster, but i'll have to learn to deal somehow.

now,

what's a good, doable way to learn my scales, arpeggios, and get better at lead work in general?

at the beginning of guitar methods and stuff, it seems to move really slowly and i kinda glaze over a little. i try to skip ahead and i'm lost. i'm at a really weird spot where my knowledge of theory and stuff is much further ahead than would be typical for an intermediate electric guitar player. and even some of my chord shapes are advanced and i voice my own which is maybe a little beyond intermediate? idk

what's a good/manageable way to study this stuff and get it under the fingers, with purpose?

one of my main issues is that when i look at a tab for a song i like and i want to learn the leads, it can be tricky to find out what positioning the lead work is using and where my fingers should be for good technique, and that sort of thing.

Start playing vocal melodies by ear. Pick a singer you think has cool phrasing and try to play along. Also, pick out some guitar solos you really enjoy and learn them note for note.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Gramps posted:

Start playing vocal melodies by ear. Pick a singer you think has cool phrasing and try to play along. Also, pick out some guitar solos you really enjoy and learn them note for note.

ok but i don't know anything about how to position my fingers and stuff like that for playing those lines.

like it's the sort of knowledge where learning music is hard and i'm reluctant to write it -- like i need to know fingerings and positionings and stuff so as not to develop bad technique and screw myself later

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

landgrabber posted:

ok but i don't know anything about how to position my fingers and stuff like that for playing those lines.

like it's the sort of knowledge where learning music is hard and i'm reluctant to write it -- like i need to know fingerings and positionings and stuff so as not to develop bad technique and screw myself later

If you have a PC, I've found Rocksmith pretty helpful for this. It's not ear training at all, but it's a bunch of tabs of a huge variety of songs that you can play along to. It shows finger positioning as well and most of it seems pretty accurate.

Barring that, if you find an artist specific tab site they will often give you extra details about which fingers are used for what. You can also watch live performances to get an idea.

Also, I think you're overly concerned about the risks here. If you find a position that lets you play something and you like how it sounds, I think that's good. It seems like you've asked the dual of a really popular question which is "how do I break out of the scale/pentatonic box when writing my leads/solos?". Feel good that you aren't in that box. If you feel like sliding up to move up the scale, do it. If you feel like moving up a string, do that. Since you know the instrument and are presumably going to try and play what you write, you aren't going to compose something unplayable.

Or just use the silly minor pentatonic box for everything like maybe a majority of popular players do.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

landgrabber posted:

if you only know 3nps scale forms, you should definitely work on learning several single position scales. there are maybe...4-5 that are common / useful? let me see:

major scale, root on 6, 2nd finger (open G shape)
major scale, root on 6, 4nd finger (open A shape)
major scale, root on 5, 4th finger (open D shape)
major scale, root on 5, 2nd finger (open C shape)
major scale, root on 6, 1st finger with stretch (open E shape)

i guess this is CAGED? i never learned them that way but i think that's what it is. if you learn those you'll start to see how it integrates with everything else you already know

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

landgrabber posted:

Figuring that out on your own seems to be the point, and the fun, of this particular activity. You know the intervals. Use that knowledge. Don't worry too much about if the root note (for example) should be played by your 1st, middle, ring, or pinkie, since you'll find it's possible to play most any songs in a million ways and positions anyway. You are not going to develop bad technique from this and "screw yourself later."

e: do what a.p. dent said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

landgrabber posted:

It sounds like you already have a lot of the theory, and maybe just need some more of the mechanical and technique portion of playing? Its just a practice thing. Easiest for me was memorizing the 3nps scales shapes for each of the seven modes and playing them sequentially in different positions until I had them memorized and in my muscle memory. I didn't do it for hours on end, maybe 15-20 minutes a day, usually while watching netflix or whatever . What I wished I had done when I was practicing that was to pay attention to where the root 3rd 5th and 7th are in each mode. I realized later you can build chords and arpeggios with any of the notes in the scale but those are the most commonly used, obviously. Oh, make sure to use a metronome! You can also figure out the scales on single strings to help break out of boxes too.

And what other folks said about learning solos from songs you like too. Weezer solos aren't too tough and are usually diatonic iirc.

Oh and if you learn a cool lick, play it in a bunch of different positions on the neck, keeping it in key. Also you don't have to stay in 3nps boxes to stay in key of course. I remember having my mind blown when a teacher told me I could just play the appropriate major/minor pentatonic scale over a chord and it would work, which is such a simple trick to "fake" lead playing.