Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Alan read one listacle about Finland before going into the dark place, and hosed up reality BIG TIME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
oh no remedy, no

https://www.eurogamer.net/remedy-details-control-live-service-multiplayer-spin-off

apparently, sadly, aw2 did not do well sales wise

https://www.eurogamer.net/remedy-blames-revenue-drop-on-72m-cost-to-reboot-project-vanguard posted:

In the studio's recently published financial results, Remedy said its revenue fell to €33.9m, posting an operating loss of €28.6m. This is even with the launch of Alan Wake 2 in October, which is yet to recuperate its development and marketing costs.

site fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 26, 2024

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

site posted:

oh no remedy, no

https://www.eurogamer.net/remedy-details-control-live-service-multiplayer-spin-off

Yeah, I'd love more Control, and I can see a multiplayer game in that setting working, but everything about that (live service, based entirely in the Oldest House) sounds dire.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I do wonder if part of that was being on Epic only, at least for PC - I'm sure console sales dwarfed PC sales regardless but I've heard tons of stories from devs saying they made double the profit they did on Epic the instant it released on Steam. I didn't mind buying it on Epic but I sure didn't like the achievement notifications and lack of easily being able to disable permanently, enough that I will likely continue to avoid the EGS when possible.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It costs me nothing to wait and see if their MP Control game is any good or not, so that's what I'll do.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
if they want to get that paper because mass audiences arent hungry for art games like alan wake 2, im all for it. as long as it doesnt drip back into everything they do from now on [smash cut to:]

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
microtranasctions to get the next novel page in alan wake 3

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

site posted:

oh no remedy, no

That's kinda crazy that Remedy are a public company because alot of their games are artsy and experimental. I would have thought shareholders would have already forced them to develop something more commercial.

The control mp game sounds like a waste of money to me but I hope I am wrong. Also they got the Max Payne remakes/remasters that is contracted work which should help them out financially.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Where Alan Wake 2 dlc

(to follow the discussion above, dlc won't help with bringing in more income since a good portion likely was already sold on/around release but they'll certainly get a few dollars out of it once they release it)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Seriously. i'm waiting remedy what's the hold up

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I can't find it but I know they posted something very recently that they were wrapped up with the DLC motion capture

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Remedy changed their Twitter account earlier to this

https://twitter.com/remedygames/status/1795832621533917371?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

I’m expecting that we get a DLC trailer/release date in June

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Fuckin finally

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyafiQG6XEU

some cool details about how they developed the alan wake chapter features like the light shift, scene rewriting and seamless teleports, and the visual design of the nightmare like the signage and graffiti (they hired a street artist to make the graffiti designs IRL)

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Local shop had something:

Drinking home alone in my underwear.
It is not sad if it is intentional.

Shop also had shelves full of Oh Deer Thermos, but I already had one.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

tripwood posted:

On the other hand, popping open a ressource box and finding out it is empty because I've been smart with conserving ammo really sucks.
Also I wanted a melee weapon so bad.

wait, is this why 30+% of every drawer and container I found was empty?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

ulvir posted:

wait, is this why 30+% of every drawer and container I found was empty?

AW2 does dynamic supplies yes. Tbh it made the second playthrough really easy, you just blasted poo poo because you'd always get resources back to keep blasting. Or, if you were full up you just didn't loot boxes because you knew you weren't going to get anything.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Or you could game the system. Only loose ammo within your inventory counts against the ammo generation, not the ones in your guns, or in your stash. Just stash all your extras and the game keeps giving you lot of ammo.

I brought all my stash to the Dark Ocean summoning on my 2nd playthrough.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Mr E posted:

I do wonder if part of that was being on Epic only, at least for PC - I'm sure console sales dwarfed PC sales regardless but I've heard tons of stories from devs saying they made double the profit they did on Epic the instant it released on Steam. I didn't mind buying it on Epic but I sure didn't like the achievement notifications and lack of easily being able to disable permanently, enough that I will likely continue to avoid the EGS when possible.

it not being on steam is why i haven't bought it even though it would've been a day 1 purchase and generally aligns with people i know also want to play AW2, it being epic only absolutely hurt it

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Issaries posted:

Mail me a beer and a thermos, please and thank you.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Issaries posted:

Those Thermos are so hard to come by in the UK. Where are you?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Evil Kit posted:

AW2 does dynamic supplies yes. Tbh it made the second playthrough really easy, you just blasted poo poo because you'd always get resources back to keep blasting. Or, if you were full up you just didn't loot boxes because you knew you weren't going to get anything.

that's going to help massively when I NG+ over summer.

Issaries posted:

Or you could game the system. Only loose ammo within your inventory counts against the ammo generation, not the ones in your guns, or in your stash. Just stash all your extras and the game keeps giving you lot of ammo.

I brought all my stash to the Dark Ocean summoning on my 2nd playthrough.

so that explains why I kept drowning in crossbow bolts while seemingly never finding any batteries or regular ammo. I ended up chucking it in the shoe box after I first found it and wasted all the ammo because of cramped storage, and by the time I had room again I had like two rifles + my gun, so I ended up never using the crossbow and just kept throwing all the bolts I found over there "just in case"

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

PriorMarcus posted:

Those Thermos are so hard to come by in the UK. Where are you?

Finland. All large supermarket chains have them and some gaming stores.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Issaries posted:

Finland. All large supermarket chains have them and some gaming stores.

Jealous. Here in the UK we're all waiting on a timed drop of them from a single website and if you miss out they sell for loads on Ebay.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Is Alan Wake especially popular in Finland compared to the rest of the world? I know Remedy is Finnish, but it’s a little bit surprising that you can find merch in supermarkets while other countries are starved for it.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

blastron posted:

Is Alan Wake especially popular in Finland compared to the rest of the world? I know Remedy is Finnish, but it’s a little bit surprising that you can find merch in supermarkets while other countries are starved for it.

I think it has more to do with Airam being a Finnish company so their products are more readily available on local markets that have partnership with them.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Yeah. Airam is legit great brand for a thermos.
Same with beer. It is made by a small Finnish brewery.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Dang you could probably set up a solid arbitrage sending those to a US goon to sell on eBay. They’re selling for like a hundred bucks on there.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
It was silly that Alan Wake 2 didn't have a disc based release as well on consoles and was an EGS exclusive on PC, but it also seems like that was the trade off for it to even exist so, it is what it is

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

It was silly that Alan Wake 2 didn't have a disc based release as well on consoles and was an EGS exclusive on PC, but it also seems like that was the trade off for it to even exist so, it is what it is
I think the lack of a physical version was just to save costs and also reduce the cost of the game

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Yeah but there were definitely sales lost on physical too. That said, it's a linear relatively short single player only experience, the kind of thing that a lot of people would trade-in after completing too, so a lot of used game profit rather than new

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It's a shame that the EGS is some weird exclusive thing that you need a custom computer for and not just a program any computer can download and install

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Looks like we are getting a DLC announcement tomorrow at Summer Games Fest, but also this particular tweet had something interesting in it

https://twitter.com/alanwake/status/1798006904150458559

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Really hope it’s not coming out for a month or two since Elden Ring dlc is coming out soon

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Looks like we are getting a DLC announcement tomorrow at Summer Games Fest, but also this particular tweet had something interesting in it

Dark Triangle huh?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Night Springs was created by the FBC so it tracks

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

RandolphCarter posted:

Really hope it’s not coming out for a month or two since Elden Ring dlc is coming out soon

The best case is that it shadow drops this week, and it's just a dlc so maybe 5-8 hours long at the most and should be easy to complete before it Elden ring.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

I will drink the coffee that The Board makes.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

As much as I love Alan Wake 2, I really hope the future of the connected universe is the FBC just going around the country finding insane poo poo, rather than Focusing on scratch and/or the dark place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Did Control perform well financially? Now I’m worried about future Remedy games having to chase profitability instead of their current auteur style.