Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
lol at their obsession with the vases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!

Leyburn posted:

lol at their obsession with the vases

Yeah, I want to believe, but this seems like a stretch.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

They seemed to me on my play through like they were to get you in the mood for symmetry, since one side "fills in" the other.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Atoramos posted:

Huh, I never noticed this but you're right. I can think of the peninsula and one of the images in the monastery, are there others?

The secret ending has the same statue and goblet, falling, right at the very end.

KillHour posted:

Also, that logo that keeps showing up on all the furniture. I haven't been able to make any sense of it, though.

The interwoven diamond texture is used on objects that appear to have been placed last of all in the island's architecture. In particular, keep an eye out for small, rectangular plates with the same texture that are used to bridge gaps. It's also strongly reminiscent of the sun imagery that appears in a few locations and ties into the main ending.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I thought it was a stylized lotus blossom.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

KillHour posted:

When I said I reached the "ending" before, I meant I went through the secret mountain base and did all the puzzles to get to the flying elevator thing.. So yes.

Edit. Oh man, there's another thing. How did I miss that? :downs:

What was the other thing?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I thought it was a stylized lotus blossom.

Good call!

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Ziploc posted:

What was the other thing?
Read the post that that post was responding to.

Specifically, the bottom of the box is connected to something else further down the mountain.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The challenge really wasn't bad.

The fist time I was like "Hey, cool music. This is chill. Wait, where did the puzzles go? :downs:"
The second time, I didn't realize you didn't have to do all 6 of the ones before the maze.
The third time, I didn't see the puzzles IN the maze until the very end when I was wandering around wondering where to go.
The fourth time, I got it. I probably would have had it in 1 or 2 tries if I knew what the gently caress to do.

Edit: I figured out what everyone was saying about wasting completionists' time. I laughed my rear end off when I realized.

Double Edit: Found the real ending. That video made me feel like I was being trolled. :wtf:

Unless I'm still missing something really big, I still don't feel like any of the puzzles in the game were really difficult, with only 1 or 2 exceptions that might have taken me the better part of an hour or so.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 25, 2016

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
Wow, just finally finished most of this game and read the last few pages. I don't know - I played Braid but this game really was much more impressive to me. Sure, the existence of the environmental puzzles became clear after a short time to me but they still often made my head bend in completely crazy ways. For instance, when I first put two and two together with the obelisk pointing in the right direction, having a skip, and realizing it must be the boat the connected the previously unable to connected orange water bit. Then there was cool things like the yellow paint, the audio puzzles, the sound room, the green tinted door before I found the other color puzzles, the first time I saw a video, etc. And finally cracking the door on the ship brought me elation as did finding the music puzzle in the mountain! And trying to connect the parts of the flowers in the opening castle and then noticing the column was neat. So many things just brought a huge smile to my face and made me happy.

I'm glad I didn't know much about this game going in and resisted the urge to look at spoilers. I've got one more obelisk that I figure I just need to be patient for and only looked up one and that ended up being me just standing in the wrong place (the sky puzzle on the mountain). It looks like I have two more puzzles somewhere that I might not ever find.

Now I'm going to read more of this thread and see what I might have missed. Definitely one of my favorite games of all time and I'm not really a puzzle game type person.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Post end game spoilers I finally tried the challenge last night, and I think that's my favorite part of the game. I haven't beat it yet, but the level of challenge seems hard but fair. It feels like there's a fair bit of luck involved, but at the same time I'm rapidly getting better at identifying the solvable puzzle out of the three, which really speeds things up. Looking forward to giving it another shot.

Dinosaur Satan
Oct 27, 2005

Helen, I'll love you always.

DolphinCop posted:

the moriarty film came from a GDC presentation. not exactly the same as a ted talk, unless you consider anything said on a stage to an audience a ted talk

I got the sense more from the audio logs.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Just found another "hidden in the shadows" thingy :awesome:

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I've done all the color based puzzles (or at least all that I came across) and reached the ending, but I am probably giving up on (secrets spoiler) the horrible one in the caves. I am partially color blind, so I have to rely on guesses about the some colors being different-- and my current guess is that there are 11 different colors there that I will need to "merge" in groups based on their background color. And that's just nightmarish for me.

I am still amazed that I could do all of the other color puzzles - granted, it helped that they all had various additional visual cues.

More secrets spoiler I have also reached the credits/ special ending while searching for environmental patterns around that area. I kind of thought that the code would have something to do with unlocking the box inside the vault that presumably opens after the challenge, and since I haven't completed that yet, it was a surprise to find out where it actually fit.

The challenge is kicking my rear end, though. I am constisently getting stuck either in that early puzzle where you have the mirrored panel with white and yellow lines, or the hopefully final(?) one which is similar but on a pillar. That one I'll probably get out of pure luck, if I get an easy seed or something.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
All the lasers lit, woo. Now let's just go see what that gets--aw dammit I have to actually ]figure out the triangles gently caress.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I, finally,( special stuff spoilers! )beat the Challenge, a few hours ago. It was on my sixth or so attempt today.

Initially, I thought I should reset every time the random labyrinth path was too complex, because twice I lost track of my path and ended up hopelessly running around and into risen blocks like a disoriented chicken. But, instead, I just ended up jotting down the path on paper and then marking my position on it whenever a triangle panel came up.

I also tried to exploit the fact that some panels would re-randomize within the same run if you fail them. You do have to go back and re-do the previous panel, but it's worth it, if the current panel is taking you too long. I used this mostly in the panels with mirrored lines (with yellow-white and black dots), and the groups of three puzzles. It doesn't apply in the final pillar puzzles, since you are supposed to re-try those (with no penalties) until you get them right.

On my successful run, I used this on the groups of three, in the second row where you have to separate the colors. I first got a group that all seemed impossible to me (in that run), and in the second iteration it was more clear cut. My labyrinth was quite complex, but having it written down helped a lot, and I went through it really fast. I think I was out of there just when the second part of the music started playing.
And I got both the final pillar puzzles in my second attempt at each. Which was very lucky, I think, but I was bound to get an easy one on those at some point.

I have to say, I did enjoy Moriarty's talk, even though it ran for an hour or so. (I now also found that this presentation is available on his site and on youtube).

So, I think now all that remains is one color-based puzzle panel and the black columns.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The talk isn't bad, although the notion that some mysterious other wrote Shakespeare's plays is pretty fanciful (and not taken seriously by scholars). If you think information about the man Shakespeare is thin on the ground, try looking up anyone else from that era.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thoughts on the cave audio logs: man, they really make the meaning of the game a lot more blatant, huh? It's more confirming the obvious theories than anything totally mind-blowing, but they're a lot more overt about the meaning than anything else.

I have something like 509. The closest I've gotten to finishing the challenge is doing everything up to the maze but neither of the puzzles in it. Do the locked puzzles in the challenge area that aren't part of the challenge ever unlock?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Escobarbarian posted:

Do the locked puzzles in the challenge area that aren't part of the challenge ever unlock?

What?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

AbstractNapper posted:

I've done all the color based puzzles (or at least all that I came across) and reached the ending, but I am probably giving up on (secrets spoiler) the horrible one in the caves. I am partially color blind, so I have to rely on guesses about the some colors being different-- and my current guess is that there are 11 different colors there that I will need to "merge" in groups based on their background color. And that's just nightmarish for me.

I am still amazed that I could do all of the other color puzzles - granted, it helped that they all had various additional visual cues.

If you're talking about the one that's a rainbow, I had to use GIMP to figure that one out. It's not as bad as you think once you do that, though. Check the other spoiler if you want a hint.

There are two colors.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

There are panels dotted around the place in the challenge area that aren't part of the main challenge/are always active but that have a black dot in the middle of the starting point so you can't start them properly.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

There are panels dotted around the place in the challenge area that aren't part of the main challenge/are always active but that have a black dot in the middle of the starting point so you can't start them properly.

Those are a time countdown.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

KillHour posted:

If you're talking about the one that's a rainbow, I had to use GIMP to figure that one out. It's not as bad as you think once you do that, though. Check the other spoiler if you want a hint.

There are two colors.

Yes, I was talking about that one. Hmm, I did figure that there were few colors actually there; I came up with four, but then it was impossible to find a solution to separate them. Your hint helped and two colors worked; I didn't use gimp, just combined your hint, a little imagination and the inability to form solutions with some of the color arrangements I was "seeing".

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Maybe it's a weird title to shout out, but if anyone reading this played The Witness and liked it, check out Toki Tori 2 - pretty sure its available on PC, PS4, and Wii U. The mechanics kind of scratch the same itch as The Witness, where you only have a couple ways to interact with the environment, and the challenge lies in figuring out the "rules" that govern how everything works

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
I can't wait for Obduction to be released.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

I really want to play this game. Are there any better deals than getting it from Captain Invictus?

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Zack Ater posted:

I really want to play this game. Are there any better deals than getting it from Captain Invictus?

:filez: :effort:

its the kind of game you might only spend an hour playing and end up steam refunding it anyways, and then you can play now and buy it once its on sale for $35 or $30 or $25 or $20.

Or you can just wait 1,2,3 or 4 years for it to actually hit that price. For better or worse the game had a full dev cycle of 9 years (3-4 years for current art/engine iiteration) so Jblow won't be in a hurry to drop the price.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

zolthorg posted:

:filez: :effort:

its the kind of game you might only spend an hour playing and end up steam refunding it anyways, and then you can play now and buy it once its on sale for $35 or $30 or $25 or $20.

Or you can just wait 1,2,3 or 4 years for it to actually hit that price. For better or worse the game had a full dev cycle of 9 years (3-4 years for current art/engine iiteration) so Jblow won't be in a hurry to drop the price.

I've seen a bit of gameplay and I love puzzle games to death anyway. I don't mind paying ~$34, but at the same time if there were a better deal, no reason not to grab the better deal.

Thanks, though! I'll just get it from Cpt when he gets more funds.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zack Ater posted:

I love puzzle games to death anyway.

You should buy this game immediately at full price.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I've played a loving lot of puzzle games and it's genuinely one of the best and most polished I've ever played. I got it on launch day and played it for ten hours. It's worth the price, easily.

Also are we seriously telling people to pirate games in threads about the games now? Didn't that straight-up used to be bannable?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
For anyone who still wants more Witness puzzles, the fan-made Witness puzzle designer site now has accounts, a public puzzle database sortable by user ratings, et cetera, et cetera. Basically everything it needs to be Super Witness Maker.

Obviously if you haven't completed the game don't go there 'cause it'll spoil the mechanics.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
You should 100% purchase and support this game. I really wish I could forget the entire game so I could go back and play it all over again.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
My girlfriend is losing her mind over the phone ringing in the jungle puzzle.

Stocking
Jul 24, 2007

NRVNQSR posted:

For anyone who still wants more Witness puzzles, the fan-made Witness puzzle designer site now has accounts, a public puzzle database sortable by user ratings, et cetera, et cetera. Basically everything it needs to be Super Witness Maker.

Obviously if you haven't completed the game don't go there 'cause it'll spoil the mechanics.

This is hecka fun, here are my puzzles so far https://windmill.thefifthmatt.com/user/r6z9rc0 . Trying to make my own puzzles is deffo giving me more appreciation for the designers making however many hundred. It feels basically impossible to properly test a puzzle I made myself for fun and difficulty since i know exactly what to do.

cheato
Sep 10, 2005

Oh, well of course, everything looks bad if you remember it.

NRVNQSR posted:

This is so awesome. Been screwing around with this for the past 30 minutes or so and have the same brain juices flowing as when I was playing the game nonstop a couple of months ago.

I've never considered myself a huge puzzle game enthusiast, and I absolutely loved the Witness. Certainly worth the money, no question. It's always good to support unique and independent games.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Thought this was worth bumping for: Jon Blow, creator of visual-imagination powered game The Witness, has no visual imagination. This is called aphantasia and effects about 2% of the population. How the hell did he do the Tetris puzzles? He mentions it in this interview with Brian Moriarty (the guy from the last theater video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRHnHlV96Jg

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Having googled aphantasia i think i might have that too?

I didn't realise people can actually call up and see images in their mind. I can think in terms of shapes and images but i can't see them, i just sort of think them. I dunno it's hard to describe.

I had no trouble with the tetris puzzles btw.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Mr Phillby posted:

Having googled aphantasia i think i might have that too?

I didn't realise people can actually call up and see images in their mind. I can think in terms of shapes and images but i can't see them, i just sort of think them. I dunno it's hard to describe.

I had no trouble with the tetris puzzles btw.

I'm pretty sure that's normal.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Apparently, it's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I guess it's a question of definition. I can "visualize" stuff but it's kinda abstract and low detail and black and white, and the "seeing" feels like it's happening inside my head.

I don't think anyone visualize in a way that overrides their optic nerve like you're in some VR environment (Maybe unless they take drugs)

• Locked thread