Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

Also: the people in yellow raincoats are civilians. Squish them for free money.
This is basically the perfect way to capture the essence of Brigador. Have fun with war crimes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I've just installed Fallout 4, and I can see there's a mod thread with lots and lots of mods reccomended, but are there any that are essential for making the game more fun before I put much time into it? I've played through all the previous Fallout games so I'm not exactly new to the franchise.

Nero Angelo
Jun 19, 2011

Foxhound posted:

Also, are the tips for Odin Sphere that are on the wiki applicable to the remake as well? I'm picking that up next week.

It looks as though pretty much all the tips have been updated to apply to the remake, so you should be good.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

SweetBro posted:

I don't know I like doing Dark Runs. The extra inventory space is great, and the extra loot is useful.

Oh yea I agree. But for new players it will lead to massive tears and frustration.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I've just installed Fallout 4, and I can see there's a mod thread with lots and lots of mods reccomended, but are there any that are essential for making the game more fun before I put much time into it? I've played through all the previous Fallout games so I'm not exactly new to the franchise.

Not that would strictly be essential prior to starting the game. It's one of those things honestly where I'd play a bit and if I found something bugged me, grab a mod for it then.

On a non-mod related note, if you're coming from prior Fallout games Melee is actually a bit easier to use than it used to be, especially if you go far enough up Agi to take Blitz which lets you charge people from range with VATS, including any Sneak Attack damage you'd have gotten from where your starting position was.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I picked up Pillars of Eternity (with both parts of the expansion) in the winter sale. Does the advice on the wiki hold up? Especially as it relates to PC class choice - assuming I have nearly equal interest in all of the classes should I just play a Cipher?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Anything for Watch Dogs 2 and Witcher 3?

I know there's info on the wiki for Witcher 3 but a quick TLDR version would be nice.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Seconding the request for info for The Witcher 3.

I chose "simulate Witcher 2 save", but what choices should I pick when I get there? Should I buy the inventory-improving items? Should I buy gwent cards? Will the White Orchard quests vanish if I move the main questline along?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Of all the Bethesda games so far, Fallout 4 is the closest to being playable out of the box. Personally I don't see any mods without which the game is unplayable. (The storyline sucks, but no mod can fix that).

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

StrixNebulosa posted:

I chose "simulate Witcher 2 save", but what choices should I pick when I get there? Should I buy the inventory-improving items? Should I buy gwent cards? Will the White Orchard quests vanish if I move the main questline along?

Buy Gwent cards if you plan on playing Gwent. I decided to save it for my second playthrough and I haven't had to play out more than a couple times and losing the game never gave me a game over or anything. It's a reasonably fun minigame, it's a good way to get money early on, and there are associated requests and achievements.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

With the expansion fixing a lot of stuff you don't need to install a lot of convenience of life mods for the settlements.

For character building you really need to focus heavily on 2-3 stats for the type of build you want. Agility is almost required for the high number of AP points, but for melee/unarmed you'd also want high Str/End and low everything else. Luck is almost complete BS because all conversation checks are now random chance and you can savescum during the dialogue screen itself and then load and reload until you succeed. You'll probably want to pick 1 weapon type and invest heavily in it along with the perks required to mod them as well. Fallout 4 doesn't lend itself to as much freedom to use various weapons as previous games because the damage increase from 3-4 pips in small guns means a modded out pipe pistol would be more effective then a assault rifle with no perks in automatic weapons.

Charisma is also important if you want to do any of the settlement stuff as Local Leader lets you build shops (a super easy way to rake in tons of caps) plus you can make supply lines so all stuff stored workbenches is accessible to any others.

If settlements and companion NPCs aren't your thing (and none of them are especially compelling) then you can take the Lone Wanderer perks which still works with Dogmeat and do insane amounts of damage at the cost of not having someone offer a few quips here and there.

The game is pretty hard for the first ten levels and you can get one-shotted pretty easily by missile launchers and grenades until a ways in the game. If you invest is scrounger for more "ammo" it also increases the amount of Fusion Cores you find so with enough cautious use you could run most of the game while wearing power armor provided you don't sprint or use VATS. Any use of AP causes the Fusion Core to degrade quicker.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Luck has a bunch of the best VATS-related perks though.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I missed final fantasy 9 when it first came around and just picked it up on iOS. I wanna play as close to legit as possible (none of the new cheater poo poo like turning off random encounters or always doing 9999 damage).

I've got about 4 hours in and I know about getting skills from using weapons and "crafting" items by going to the... synthesis? Guy? I dunno. Game is cool and classic final fantasy on my phone it is cool.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

Senerio posted:

I just picked up Wild Arms 3 with some holiday money. Any tips?

An early dungeon called Serpents Coils has these jelly monsters that are weak to magic. They drop corresponding elemental gems (kill with fire, get fire gems, etc). Use summons or mystic a gem to earn lots of extra gems for fun and gella.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I missed final fantasy 9 when it first came around and just picked it up on iOS. I wanna play as close to legit as possible (none of the new cheater poo poo like turning off random encounters or always doing 9999 damage).

I've got about 4 hours in and I know about getting skills from using weapons and "crafting" items by going to the... synthesis? Guy? I dunno. Game is cool and classic final fantasy on my phone it is cool.

Don't sell your weapons, you need them to synth new ones. And make loving certain you buy every weapon you can when you see them, there's a nasty gotcha for one of Zidanes (I think it's one of the Mashers) where if you don't buy it there you won't get another chance to until near the end of the game

Starhawk64 posted:

Anything for Watch Dogs 2?

Get the Quadcopter ASAP. Run around and get some money drops in secure areas, they give you just about $20,000 a pop so you'll only need to hit up 3 or maybe 4. The game is much less combat-focused and built more around stealth infiltration (though you can be as loud and bloodthirsty as you like if you really want to), so all you really need for a firearm is the Core Dump Pistol (silent and scoped), or the Zero Day Rifle (same, in rifle form).

Use the Jumper to infiltrate if you just need to do a Physical Hack (the USB icon), because it can do those, and any alarms raised are for the Jumper and not Marcus.

Get the Wall Hack skill for the Quadcopter, it makes recon on mission locations much easier.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

pentyne posted:

With the expansion fixing a lot of stuff you don't need to install a lot of convenience of life mods for the settlements.

By expansion you mean DLCs? Which ones?

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't sell your weapons, you need them to synth new ones. And make loving certain you buy every weapon you can when you see them, there's a nasty gotcha for one of Zidanes (I think it's one of the Mashers) where if you don't buy it there you won't get another chance to until near the end of the game

Exactly the type of info I needed. Thanks!

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

I'm playing the game for the first time myself, and I'd really recommend using a UI mod and a sorting mod. I installed one about 20 hours in and it made dealing with the inventory so much less annoying.

Install the sorting mod before you start, if possible. It will retroactively tag most stuff, but there are a few things that won't be if they've already spawned into the world. Mostly unique weapons and armor.

I'm on a phone so I can't link anything, but I think I just used the most popular ones.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Truman Sticks posted:

An early dungeon called Serpents Coils has these jelly monsters that are weak to magic. They drop corresponding elemental gems (kill with fire, get fire gems, etc). Use summons or mystic a gem to earn lots of extra gems for fun and gella.

Specifically, killing any enemy with magic will give you a gem of the element of magic used to kill them. This especially useful to give Virginia and gallows access to each element.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mystic Stylez posted:

By expansion you mean DLCs? Which ones?

Far Harbor is generally regarded as the only "good" one. After that its Nuka-World and Automaton which seem to be pretty decent going by reviews. The Vault-Tec and Workshops are universally hated as being expensive for barely any new content aside from some settlement only things.

There's a lot of hate because the season pass was originally $30, then jacked up to $50 for the "quality and depth of all the new content".

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Starhawk64 posted:

I know there's info on the wiki for Witcher 3 but a quick TLDR version would be nice.

Hmm. I think this is a problem with the wiki.

I'm not sure how to solve it practically, since ideally I'd have a team of editors who would make sure that each page only contains the "Must know" tips for the game.

But, that introduces an editorial problem - what counts as "Must know"?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Centipeed posted:

I'm not sure how to solve it practically, since ideally I'd have a team of editors who would make sure that each page only contains the "Must know" tips for the game.

You could have a section at the top for quick tips or TLDR info and then all the unsorted crap at the bottom for people who want stream of consciousness info. Then the editorial team is just making a judgement call but not actually removing any information. It's only really pertinent for the main stream super popular games anyway, as most others are only going to have a small number of tips to start with I would think.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Isn't the whole point of this read to give TLDR advice so people don't have to go to the actual threads? Why do we need to make it even more TLDR?

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Centipeed posted:

The tip:
- There are two "points of no return" in the game. They are very obviously signposted.

Is currently like... 22nd on the page? Somebody needs to get in there ASAP and put this seriously need-to-know stuff way up at the top. At least.

Meanwhile:
The talent that gives you health back each time you swig a potion is probably mandatory for no Quen runs

...that is not something you need to know Before You Play(tm). Unless there's an achievement for it or something?

limp_cheese posted:

Isn't the whole point of this read to give TLDR advice so people don't have to go to the actual threads? Why do we need to make it even more TLDR?

^^See above. I agree that page is almost useless. There's so much minute information posted that someone is likely to freak out about spoilers or just have obsolutely no context way before they get something useful out of that page.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anything for Mordheim: City of the Damned? I've played through the tutorials and it's kind of overwhelming, would love to see a breakdown of the different factions' pros and cons.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Nobody has encyclopedic knowledge of every video game so ultimately it's up to the people submitting tips to make sure they're of good quality and relevancy. I remember how the HoMM III page used to have real useful stuff like "Money, money, money" and "Black Dragons + Armageddon = teh win" which is why I opted to redo the whole page, and while most aren't quite that bad, a bunch of pages are pretty messy.

In any case, I'm not sure if another separate TLDR section is really necessary since that's such a weird line to draw on a site already dedicated to basic tips. Simpler games aren't going to need such a section and more complex games are inevitably going to have fairly long lists even if it's all basic knowledge since there can be so many different aspects to cover.

I can volunteer if you want someone to do some light cleaning here and there though. Make some lists a bit more conscise and readable, remove duplicate info and such.

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013

owl_pellet posted:

I picked up Pillars of Eternity (with both parts of the expansion) in the winter sale. Does the advice on the wiki hold up? Especially as it relates to PC class choice - assuming I have nearly equal interest in all of the classes should I just play a Cipher?

Cipher does get the most unique dialogues, but it is mostly flavour stuff. Play whatever class you want to, if it's cipher then great, but you aren't losing out by picking something else.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Agreed.

I think just pointing out useless info here has been working well since you guys are on the ball with that stuff. You occasionally bump into a lot of fluff or tips that get repeated, but it doesn't happen too often, at least for me.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Centipeed posted:

I'd bet there are a number of thread regulars who could/would be willing to help you curate the wiki

Namely me. Make me sysop. Give me the keys to your kingdom.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

It's a trap. Get an ax!

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Any tips for lords of the fallen? I didn't see an entry on the wiki

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Any tips for lords of the fallen? I didn't see an entry on the wiki
Go back through the thread or just look for my posts here, I repeated them several times.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I remember curating the Final Fantasy Tactics entry. That thing was a mess.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Going from Lindblum to Gizamaluke's Grotto is a relatively short trip north, but don't just run straight there; exploring to the east can get you another party member and unlock a treasure-hunting minigame that leads to great rewards.

Keep a good stock of Potions through the early game, because a lot of the time you lack a healer and enemies hit hard.

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 29, 2016

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Fart Sandwiches posted:

final fantasy 9

You'll have to split your party into two teams of five and finish two dungeons seperatly a pretty long ways into the game, so try and keep your party fairly evenly leveled. I sent my benchwarmers off on the second path thinking they wouldn't have to do anything and ended up stuck on that part for days.

Pneub fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 29, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pneub posted:

You'll have to split your party into two teams of eight and finish two dungeons seperatly a pretty long ways into the game, so try and keep your party fairly evenly leveled. I sent my benchwarmers off on the second path thinking they wouldn't have to do anything and ended up stuck on that part for days.

Don't forget to listen to what it says about magic not working in one of those dungeons when you choose who goes where, because it is stating it in gameplay terms as well as story.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Asking this again because no one answered except about gwent cards. (Which I am purchasing!)

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

StrixNebulosa posted:

As far as I know they don't mean much except for Letho. Say you let that fucker live. its worth it.

I don't know what Inventory-Improving means but you can never go wrong in any game improving that poo poo, so sure.

You can always go back to White Orchard after going to the next map. I believe you do it from the world map. I would honestly do everything there before you leave. If for some reason you HAVE to move on be sure to grab the shrines of power in that area. There are a poo poo load of them and they become really rare in the later maps.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

limp_cheese posted:

As far as I know they don't mean much except for Letho. Say you let that fucker live. its worth it.

I don't know what Inventory-Improving means but you can never go wrong in any game improving that poo poo, so sure.

You can always go back to White Orchard after going to the next map. I believe you do it from the world map. I would honestly do everything there before you leave. If for some reason you HAVE to move on be sure to grab the shrines of power in that area. There are a poo poo load of them and they become really rare in the later maps.

Thanks! Inventory-improving usually means making it so I can hold more, so I'll look for those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
If you have the complete edition of Witcher 3, I recommend going to the upper right corner of the second area Valen (east of Novigrad) and winning the horse races there for some excellent inventory and mount upgrades. I think those quests are intended to be late/post game DLC but the races can be done at any level and don't spoil anything in the story.