Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tools count right?

I hope that went somewhere good

gently caress

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

jamal posted:

Dad: Hey, my truck has been running a little funny and the check engine light came on

(Opening shot: helicopter view pan across abandoned house in Antarctica, truck in driveway with hood up)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just a change of pace, some mechanical :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2hUKOchIL8

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

"But Dad won't let me use rotary cutting tools! :( "

e. "We're not in pre-school any more. Don't re-use the cotter pin!"

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 11, 2015

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Safety Dance posted:

"But Dad won't let me use rotary cutting tools! :( "

e. "We're not in pre-school any more. Don't re-use the cotter pin!"
That's when you make.your own stump remover with a PTO and an E30 rear diff.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

People who drive a car with a flashing CEL for longer than to-the-shoulder-to-wait-for-a-flatbed should have their loving licenses revoked.

Had a terrible GMC Safari as a work van. It ate up transmissions between oil changes and work couldn't be bothered to do regular maintenance on it, instead they'd roll it into a shop after something broke. Of course when poo poo hit the fan it was always "Hey, why didn't you tell us [X] was happening " and when you did ring up the boss man to tell him [X] was happening he'd just say "I'm not made of money, deal with it until it breaks"

Then they'd take their god damned safari to the Hyundai dealership because bossman had a friend that worked there, but the guys would always gently caress up the repairs and take forever. On transmission #3 when I started the van a day after getting it it sounded like loose marbles in the bell housing and after pulling out I saw the transmission had pissed out a pretty serious amount of fluid.

Anyway, it was going through a series of ignition/fuel supply/spark problems for months that meant about a half mile from home the CEL would start flashing and stay like that for most of the day. I called it in the first few times and it went back to the dealership and had the entire ignition system replaced piece by piece. Work never compensated us for the time going to/from the dealership before or after work or the time it took to restock the van and I was pretty fed up, so after trip four from the dealership when it lit up again I just drove it with that loving light flashing for a week till it wouldn't start. They took it some place that did work on trucks, turns out the cat was cooked.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

jamal posted:

Dad: Hey, my truck has been running a little funny and the check engine light came on

Hey, that's what MY spark plugs look like! All the time! :smith::hf::smith:

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

"This bearing pusher is TOOOOOOOO BIIIIGGGGG!"
Yeah I watched the whole thing, proclick.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Commodore_64 posted:

"This bearing pusher is TOOOOOOOO BIIIIGGGGG!"
Yeah I watched the whole thing, proclick.

ITs cute and all but if im doing this at home, take the knuckle off, and my local auto parts store will press out the old and put in the new bearing for 50 bucks plus cost of bearing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

But can you put a price on .... lovethat kid scissoring torque wrenches

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Preoptopus posted:

ITs cute and all but if im doing this at home, take the knuckle off, and my local auto parts store will press out the old and put in the new bearing for 50 bucks plus cost of bearing.

An HF 12 ton press is $120. I have already paid for mine many times over.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
AC blows warm and noise under hood.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Denso compressor? Siezed and hosed the clutch?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

14 INCH DICK posted:

AC blows warm and noise under hood.

Nissan? Looks like my sisters piece of poo poo Altima that I just did the same thing on.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

"Cmon motherfucker, stick your hand down here."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I've never had one in a vehicle yet (fortunately) but I just brought in a box that's been in the garage for a few months (with some old pictures, my dart board, that kind of poo poo) and found a HUGE one living inside. After I'd been reaching in and pulling things out, of course.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

kastein posted:

An HF 12 ton press is $120. I have already paid for mine many times over.

The local air cooled shop wanted to charge me 80 bucks PER SIDE to press out the king pins and press them back in for my lowered spindles. Off to harbor freight I went.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

veedubfreak posted:

The local air cooled shop wanted to charge me 80 bucks PER SIDE to press out the king pins and press them back in for my lowered spindles. Off to harbor freight I went.

The HF press is well worth it. When I had a garage I owned one and pressed out lots of bearings from motorcycle cases.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

HA gave the guys at my local aircooled shop a pack of smokes each and a pizza for pressing a poo poo ton of stuff for my engine rebuild and body-off restoration of a Ghia. They were next door to my work so I'd drop over on lunch and pick up after work.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Denso compressor? Siezed and hosed the clutch?

Sure looks like a Denso to me. Looks like the compressor coil got loose and wreaked havoc on the rest of it. Which I managed to do on my goddamn WJ because I didn't have that snap ring seated fully. At least I caught it before it trashed the compressor, but it ruined the new coil and the clutch.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Good to know. The snap ring for the electromagnet coil can be tough to work out if its fully seated. I never thought about the consequences of the pulley's snap ring coming loose. Good thing my compressor is still hosed since June and sitting on my bench.

(If anyone knows where to get a front main seal for a 1991 UZZ32 soarer AC compressor then let me know, and yes, my current solution is 'find a whole loving new comopressor')

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Good to know. The snap ring for the electromagnet coil can be tough to work out if its fully seated. I never thought about the consequences of the pulley's snap ring coming loose. Good thing my compressor is still hosed since June and sitting on my bench.

(If anyone knows where to get a front main seal for a 1991 UZZ32 soarer AC compressor then let me know, and yes, my current solution is 'find a whole loving new comopressor')

Got a model number off the compressor? I'm coming up with TSB19C

Nope, its a Denso 10PA15/17

http://www.acsource.com/gasketsetkt-10pa17cnfits10pa1510pa17doesnotfit10pa20.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD5lLC5v6PE

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 12, 2015

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Got a model number off the compressor? I'm coming up with TSB19C

Nope, its a Denso 10PA15/17

http://www.acsource.com/gasketsetkt-10pa17cnfits10pa1510pa17doesnotfit10pa20.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD5lLC5v6PE

How the hell did you find that so quickly? (sadly my label has rubbed off so I couldn't answer that myself).

No idea where I'll find a gasket set in the UK, time to prepare for shipping costs that are higher than the item costs (yet again!)

Edit: Never mind, Aliexpress has packs of 5 shaft seals for $8.50.

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 12, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

How the hell did you find that so quickly? (sadly my label has rubbed off so I couldn't answer that myself).

I had to cross reference the AC compressor part number with common Toyota P/Ns

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ford 3.5 ecoboost. Sorry the pics are blurry. everything was covered in oil. Don't drive home after the check engine light starts flashing. I can't imagine the horrid noise this thing made.

Connecting rod #1:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Good lord. What'd they do, hydrolock it in a puddle of nitroglycerin?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Vtec kicked in by the look. I love the gudgeon pin just chillaxin' on the left there.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Slavvy posted:

Vtec kicked in by the look. I love the gudgeon pin just chillaxin' on the left there.

Should have made the connecting rod out of whatever they used for the wrist pin :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Sweet Jesus.

I guess it's sort of like that old line: to err is human, but to really gently caress up you need two turbos.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Sweet Jesus.

I guess it's sort of like that old line: to err is human, but to really gently caress up you need two turbos.

Holy crap thanks for the new t shirt idea

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010

SouthsideSaint posted:

Holy crap thanks for the new t shirt idea

Haha, I'm imagining you with that look on your face the "have a nice day" shirt guy had in Forrest Gump.

Why do OEMs usually seem to go for twin turbo setups, and the aftermarket goes for single? Aside from the days of vacuum lines and small/large setups to reduce lag,
I know singles tend to make more power more reliably, and I guess a single would be lighter and more compact that a twin. Is there anything else?

Content: A whole row of horrible mechanical failures just waiting to happen!

e: phonepostin'and table breakin'

Faster Blaster fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 13, 2015

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Faster Blaster posted:

Why do OEMs usually seem to go for twin turbo setups

So they can charge you more when they break, of course.

Also because 'twin turbo' on the bumper makes it sound faster than a single turbo.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Faster Blaster posted:

Haha, I'm imagining you with that look on your face the "have a nice day" shirt guy had in Forrest Gump.

Why do OEMs usually seem to go for twin turbo setups, and the aftermarket goes for single? Aside from the days of vacuum lines and small/large setups to reduce lag,
I know singles tend to make more power more reliably, and I guess a single would be lighter and more compact that a twin. Is there anything else?

Content: A whole row of horrible mechanical failures just waiting to happen!

e: phonepostin'and table breakin'

Generally packaging. A big single might be physically smaller, but in a lot of cases it's easier to find 2 1-cubic-foot spaces than it is to find 1 1.5-cubic-foot space.

Plus they're almost universally on V-engines, in which case 2 turbo headers are a lot simpler than doing a 6- or 8-into-1 for a single turbo, which usually means beneath/behind the engine, which makes the intake piping longer and even less responsive (a good chunk of what we call turbo lag is just the delay from the throttle plate opening to when that wave of increased flow/volume actually reaches the cylinders).

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just figured out most twin turbo setups aren't sequential.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Bet that made a noise.

Also :cthulhu:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What in the gently caress am I looking at. :stare:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Boiler explosion due to pressure valve failure. Blew the endcap off the locomotive and blew out/bent a bunch of the fire tubes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

xzzy posted:

Cthulhu the tank engine.