Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tykero posted:

Goodbye spiced down Profound Still. You only last like five seconds now. I will miss you deeply, if only for the joy of seeing enemy casters wiggle their implements at me in confusion repeatedly.
How much had you spiced it down to? I just got done putting together a PvP character that took it down to 30 FTH, I suppose it may be time to start leveling their casting stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Colapops posted:

The spiders were once human. That's the only way I can figure it, at least.

Nah, the spiders were once swords. Why else would their pokes hurt so much? Sword golems the lot of them.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Fashion souls is okay here right? My plan is to rush to iron keep for the ember to imbue both rapiers with poison. This is probably already old hat to everyone, but I love the lucatiel's set and I feel like a loving musketeer. But like, a dickhead musketeer that poisons their poo poo.

Also it struck me after I had invested too much time (read: 2 hours) into this guy that I should have done some sort of spear/poison poo poo and named him Oberyn. SIGH.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
There are actually hella shorts in Dark Souls 2. I'm doing a co-op run with a friend and powerstancing Caestuses while he casts magic, and my guy has basically only run around in shorts. I started by getting the Hollow Soldier Leggings, then moved on to the Grave Warden Bottoms and the Bandit Boots and now the Gyrm Boots. Shorts are cool duds for a cool dude in Drangleic.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jamfrost posted:

Or leftovers from a meal.

Spiders eat stuff by dissolving it into a slurry and then sucking it up. There's no way they could swallow an entire weapon.

What the gently caress am I supposed to be doing in the Pilgrim's covenant? I completed all 3 abyss dungeons and lit the 3 pedestals in each one, but nothing happens. Gandhal doesn't say anything new and I just got spit back to the entrance to each one.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 4, 2014

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Previous visitors to Brightstone tried to kill the spiders, but their weapons got stuck inside the spiders and then they were turned into zombies.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Spiders eat stuff by dissolving it into a slurry and then sucking it up. There's no way they could swallow an entire weapon.

What the gently caress am I supposed to be doing in the Pilgrim's covenant? I completed all 3 abyss dungeons and lit the 3 pedestals in each one, but nothing happens. Gandhal doesn't say anything new and I just got spit back to the entrance to each one.

Might be a dumb question, but did you light the pedestals in the same run that you completed each dungeon? The braziers go back out if you die after lighting them.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cyberventurer posted:

Might be a dumb question, but did you light the pedestals in the same run that you completed each dungeon? The braziers go back out if you die after lighting them.

Yeah I tried going through one of them again and saw that the thing was out. First time I lit it I accidentally walked into a pit and didn't light it on my second pass through.

Died to Dark Lurker in about 15 seconds. Should be fun.

EDIT: I HAVE TO KILL THESE FUCKERS EVERYTIME I WANT TO TRY THE BOSS?!? :psyduck:

What the gently caress is this poo poo.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 4, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Just don't use lightning or fire if you don't want the fight to end in even less time.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Internet Kraken posted:

Work Hook looks awesome. I ascetic the Mytha bonfire just to get two of them, fully intending to power stance them on my sunbro.

You better name yourself Meathook. Too bad you can't get a talking chest tattoo. :smith:

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Put on a gold serpent ring and you can at least get bonfire ascetics out of the abyss phantoms, to take a bit of the sting out of having to kill them all again. Alternatively, try to knock them down the pits so you don't have to swing so many times to kill them. I like poking them down with a rapier and dragon roaring Not Havel off the side. :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its just a lot of tedium to get to an optional fight I'm only doing for "fun". Darklurker itself seems okay (I've been OHKOd twice due to its fireball attack granting no i frames which is kind of lovely) but getting to it is so blah. I'm even cheesing the phantoms by forcing them off ledges but it still takes too long and it costs me effigies.

VVV No way is shaded woods easiest when you have an elevator wait and the longer run from the bonfire. The drangleic one you can push all the phantoms into pits and the walk from the bonfire is 5 seconds. Its still tedious and a pain in the rear end.

Third attempt, died to the loving fire again. I can fight fine up until it splits, then I get screwed. Another boss where dual caestus kind of fucks you over since I have no range to work with. Still I'd be a lot more tolerant of the fight if getting to it wasn't consuming my effigies.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 4, 2014

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Internet Kraken posted:

Its just a lot of tedium to get to an optional fight I'm only doing for "fun". Darklurker itself seems okay (I've been OHKOd twice due to its fireball attack granting no i frames which is kind of lovely) but getting to it is so blah. I'm even cheesing the phantoms by forcing them off ledges but it still takes too long and it costs me effigies.

Which one are you going through from? Shaded woods is probably the easiest / shortest one and black gulch the most obnoxious.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Cainer posted:

Wait you've been summoned as a blue cop?! When did this near mythical event occur? I joined thinking I would be pvping 24/7 then spent three or so days just dicking around without a single summons. I returned my badge with disgust and went bellbro, where I have just received the highly coveted bell keeper gear. Also, who the hell thought that would be good enough for a rank 3 prize!? So hideous, sticking to my bone king set with black hollow mage helm till I find something neater.

PvP does not really happen in NG, when I got to Dragon shrine I could not walk five feet without having to save some guy.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

How is it different from literally any other boss? You have to go through the area to get to the boss in every game in the series. The effigy cost sucks but that's the only difference. Also no, the fireball you just done hosed up with.

You can enter the fight from any area once you've unlocked it, though. Shaded Woods is easiest to do, Drangleic is the quickest to get into. Black Gulch sucks.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 4, 2014

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

Kaldaris posted:

Why would you ever Mundane or Raw a dagger. :doh:

It seems like a bad move, Mundane is too niche a thing to waste on something like a dagger.

Raw is just ... I don't know, the scaling is really good.
Strength and Dexterity scaling are both pretty bad when all of your stats are 6. :v: Mundane is surprisingly decent, though; as an SL 1 Deprived, it gives a flat +86, no matter what weapon it's on. But it halves the base damage of the weapon, which means it's best on weapons with low base power to begin with, like... daggers. (In fact, testing it now on my character with 24/25 STR/DEX and lowest stat being 12, the Mundane Dagger +10 outperforms the vanilla one by 10 points.) But it doesn't improve with the weapon's level, which combined with the halved base power means it kind of peters off. My Mundane Dagger +3 on my SL 1 character is a lot better than a vanilla +3 Dagger would be, but a quick number crunch says they'd be about even at +10, with the normal one being a little higher (143 vs. 147).

Raw, though... well, it's just kind of bad. It only gives a 15% bonus to base power, and since it completely tanks any scaling, it's only ever better than vanilla on weapons with really high power and/or really awful or nonexistent scaling. Which is nice for Malformed Skulls and black dragon weapons, but not much else. For an SL 1 character specifically, it looks like a Raw Mace +10 is slightly better than a normal one, but only by 8 points (296 vs. 288). A Raw Broken Straight Sword +10 slightly outperforms a normal one, too (188 vs. 179). The Raw Dagger is pretty bad, though, at 139.

Are elemental infusions ever worth it in an SL 1 run? It seems like I'd be better off just using resins, even if I were to go to all the work to cast any of the buff spells. Maybe a Dark weapon, since I don't have a reliable source of Dark Pine Resins because Felkin is a stupid jerk. (Seriously, why is it that Straid, Smug rear end in a top hat of Olaphis will sell stuff to me and you won't? I don't even feel bad about killing you and buying your hood.)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Manatee Cannon posted:

How is it different from literally any other boss? You have to go through the area to get to the boss in every game in the series. The effigy cost sucks but that's the only different. Also no, the fireball you just done hosed up with.

You can enter the fight from any area once you've unlocked it, though. Shaded Woods is easiest to do, Drangleic is the quickest to get into. Black Gulch sucks.

You're being dense on purpose. You can always run past enemies unless you suck at dodging. Fighting the same fuckers over and over gets old. You can run past the enemies in the chasm too, but the fog door arbitrarily stays locked unlike literally every other one in the game.

And no, the fire ball attack is stupid. Every death I've had to do this boss so far has been from it. It doesn't stun you but as a result you get no i frames. Since the radius on them is huge, I just get bombarded from full health to none in an instant. Thought I was getting the hang of it but apparently they can chain cast it twice in a row without leaving the animation for it. So the time I thought was safe to attack after dodging the fireballs ended up getting me killed because it just casted it again.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

How much had you spiced it down to? I just got done putting together a PvP character that took it down to 30 FTH, I suppose it may be time to start leveling their casting stats.

I spiced it down to 28 Faith. I'm way above its int requirement (51 Int), but way below its faith requirement (28 Faith). I guess they don't cancel eachother out.

Related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjP4jPdUwp8

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dude it's straight up exactly the same as nearly every other boss in the series. Dragon God, Storm Ruler, Vinland/Astrea, and Sanctuary Guardian are the only bosses I can think of that don't have enemies between them and the entrance to their arena. The fireball is easy to dodge. That's entirely on you if you don't.

Fighting three guys before the boss isn't exactly a challenge that requires complaining about.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

He's not complaining about the enemies being present. You usually don't have to actually fight the enemies on the way to the boss, but Darklurker's got an impassable fog gate up if any phantoms in the chasm are alive.

I don't remember the fireballs being difficult to dodge, though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It is kind of dumb that human effigies stop you from being summoned to the belfries, but not before putting the message up saying you're going then freezing for a few seconds and stopping it.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Yeah, the fireballs are real easy to dodge since they have very little tracking. The most difficult one to avoid for me is the dark ball he shoots through the wormhole because it's got a giant explosion radius and I can't consistently dodge it unless I see where the exit hole is and run towards it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

aegof posted:

He's not complaining about the enemies being present. You usually don't have to actually fight the enemies on the way to the boss, but Darklurker's got an impassable fog gate up if any phantoms in the chasm are alive.

I don't remember the fireballs being difficult to dodge, though.

I get what he's complaining about, he's just wrong to do so.

Opposing Farce posted:

Yeah, the fireballs are real easy to dodge since they have very little tracking. The most difficult one to avoid for me is the dark ball he shoots through the wormhole because it's got a giant explosion radius and I can't consistently dodge it unless I see where the exit hole is and run towards it.

Yeah I got killed by that first time I fought him. It came in from offscreen and killed me, that was lame. Generally though I'd say his most dangerous attack is his sword at melee range.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 4, 2014

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I had the best luck dodging Darklurker's fireballs by dropping my shield and sprinting instead of rolling. They fire fast, but if I remember correctly they don't have any mid-flight tracking so your best bet is to outrun them rather than risk getting nicked by another as you come out of the roll animation. You don't even have to stop locking on to one of them as long as you start running forward a bit before turning sideways.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Chaos Storm seems a lot worse at making pillars that hit anything than Firestorm. They just walk right up behind me and backstab me more often than not.

quote:

Generally though I'd say his most dangerous attack is his sword at melee range.

I wish that instead of lifedrain patch we got his soul greatsword combo attack.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Manatee Cannon posted:

Dude it's straight up exactly the same as nearly every other boss in the series. Dragon God, Storm Ruler, Vinland/Astrea, and Sanctuary Guardian are the only bosses I can think of that don't have enemies between them and the entrance to their arena. The fireball is easy to dodge. That's entirely on you if you don't.

Fighting three guys before the boss isn't exactly a challenge that requires complaining about.

Why are you being stupid on purpose? You know exactly what I'm talking about. There is literally no other fog door in the game that stays locked until you beat all the enemies in front of it every time you want to fight the boss. You only have to fight every enemy every time if your terrible at dodging and running. If you're not, you can just run to the boss and get on with the fight you actually care about.

Darklurker is arbitrarily the only boss where you can't do this. Also the 3 phantoms guarding it have huge chunks of health so killing them is a pain in the rear end. Unless of course you knock them into pits to instakill them, but you shouldn't have to do that.

And yeah, the fireball is easy to dodge if you know how it works. First time I had no idea what attacks it had so I got oneshotted by the fire ball. Second time I got hit by the Darklurker offscreen casting it, which is admittedly my fault for not keep track of both of them. Third time I got tricked since I'd assumed it couldn't chain cast it, since it literally never did that before (and never did again), The attack itself is easy to dodge but if you do get hit by all 3 fireballs its an instakill, which is absurdly punishing.

That aside, I actually think its a pretty cool and fun boss. Took forever to kill but that's more on me for using dual caestus. A nice unique little fight hidden behind a really stupid covenant. Oh well.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I get what he's complaining about, he's just wrong to do so.

Mmmmmm yes, that's why every fog door stays locked until you kill all the enemies in the area right? :rolleyes:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah I got killed by that first time I fought him. It came in from offscreen and killed me, that was lame. Generally though I'd say his most dangerous attack is his sword at melee range.

The sword is really easy to dodge through and has a long, easily punishable animation. I was always happy to see him do it because it was basically a free hit or two.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Why are you being stupid on purpose?

Why are you incapable of disagreeing with someone without insulting them? Seriously man, what is your problem. You have to kill a couple phantoms. Unless you have zero patience I can't imagine how this becomes tedious. You don't need to know anything about the fireball to dodge it. It really is that simple.

Opposing Farce posted:

The sword is really easy to dodge through and has a long, easily punishable animation. I was always happy to see him do it because it was basically a free hit or two.

You can dodge all of his magic even easier though.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Internet Kraken posted:

Mmmmmm yes, that's why every fog door stays locked until you kill all the enemies in the area right? :rolleyes:

Every boss should be the same?

There's no enemies between the bonfire and the Royal Rat bosses. Clearly, this is different from the other bosses and thus broken.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Manatee Cannon posted:

Why are you incapable of disagreeing with someone without insulting them? Seriously man, what is your problem. You have to kill a couple phantoms. Unless you have zero patience I can't imagine how this becomes tedious. You don't need to know anything about the fireball to dodge it. It really is that simple.

You're being daft on purpose and that's pretty annoying. You're acting like there is some precedence for having to fight every enemy in front of a boss every time you have to fight it when its not. Darklurker is literally the only place where that happens. You're disagreeing just for the sake of it.

kazil posted:

Every boss should be the same?

There's no enemies between the bonfire and the Royal Rat bosses. Clearly, this is different from the other bosses and thus broken.

Explain how being forced to kill the same 4 HP sponge enemies before getting to the fight that actually matters is at all good game design.

VVV Because its annoying and burned through a limited a resource.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 4, 2014

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Internet Kraken posted:

Explain how being forced to kill the same 4 HP sponge enemies before getting to the fight that actually matters is at all good game design.

I will if you explain why such a minor thing has got you so worked up.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I found it pretty annoying too when I was first learning the boss. If it was JUST clearing out the enemies or using up an effigy (which I'm ridiculously stingy about using since at soul memory I think they're the only way I'll ever refill my max HP ever again), it wouldn't feel so draining. Also sucks to be you if you get invaded in there, since getting killed is more costly than if you just died anywhere else due to the required effigy to enter.

Unrelated, I'm disappointed that your fire bonus doesn't raise the damage of your torch melee. :colbert:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

gently caress it man, you want to be annoyed that's your choice. Arguing with you is the very definition of not worth the effort.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

If you're playing a shieldless high-agility melee character like I was, dodging the sword is really easy because it's the exact same thing you've been doing all game and it puts him right there for you to hit. The magic is mostly easy to dodge, but I'd say some of it is harder (namely that warp ball) and he'll often be farther away when he uses it which means you might not be able to punish.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
So if I remember right, the King's Ring boosts fire damage by some small and useless amount. Does it add damage to pyromancy? And if so, does it add damage to all of flame whip's multiple hits? I'm curious if there's any circumstance where you'd wear it at a time when you weren't opening a door.

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 4, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
None of Darklurker's attacks are hard to dodge once you've seem them before. The difficulty comes when there's two of them both using different attacks, since you have to keep track of both of them at the same time. Dodging all their different moves while still finding time to get attacks in can be pretty challenging. There are other bosses like Ruin Sentinels that work similar to this but unlike them Darklurker is projectile oriented and you can't easily force the two of them together.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Opposing Farce posted:

If you're playing a shieldless high-agility melee character like I was, dodging the sword is really easy because it's the exact same thing you've been doing all game and it puts him right there for you to hit. The magic is mostly easy to dodge, but I'd say some of it is harder (namely that warp ball) and he'll often be farther away when he uses it which means you might not be able to punish.

I'd rather deal with the hex, to be honest. If you're a melee character though you don't exactly have a choice, he'll use the sword when you get in close.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

All 3 games choose to waste your time for no reason when you die on a boss and it's one of the stupidest things about each of them. In Demon's Souls it was less of a problem because most of the bosses were not such huge spikes in the difficulty curve for the areas they occupied. But getting stuck on a distant boss is pretty much the biggest headache you can experience in the series because for every 5 minutes you spend stuck, 1 minute is spent actually fighting the boss and the other 4 are just running back wasting your time.

It's so much less frustrating to die on a boss that's actually right next to an archstone/bonfire because you can just learn from it and try again right there. But otherwise it's twice as frustrating as it needs to be since the moment you die you know you'll have to run around a bunch before you can try to make progress again. Because apparently it's necessary that you run through an area which you've already completed and which no longer poses any threat to you as punishment(?). When I saw Darklurker on my first character and saw how much you'd have to slog through each time, I just left after the first death since I wasn't going to use any of the stuff Darkdiver Dankdunk gives you anyway.

Darklurker is really weak to lightning so you could try lightning urns if you don't have miracles or a lightning weapon.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Cainer posted:

Sorry but all of my fashion souls senses are telling me that looking like one of those creepy guys who wear the full boy scout uniform while expecting to be taken seriously just ain't gonna fly.

You seem to be laboring under the impression that wearing the Bellbro outfit will make people not take you seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Oh my God. Lightning Estocs do 100 damage on a stab. Why. I could've sworn they did more.

Maybe the guy had high defenses or something but jesus that fight sucked.