Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Action Tortoise posted:

Yakuza 0

Each character has a business they have to run. Kiryu does real estate and Majima runs a cabaret club. These jobs require you to hire people and they all have different stats.

These stats aren't done in an ABCD scale, mind you. They're scored based on the face button symbols of a Playstation controller besides Square.

Yes, it's obtuse. The only reason I figured out Circle was the best option was because there's a double Circle icon. Cross is worst, Triangle is bad, Circle is good, Double Circle is best.

This means I've been appointing terrible advisors to my real estate holdings. It hasn't killed the game or anything because this is all really side stuff, but I wish there was some indication in the tutorial menus (because it really glazes over that stuff) about those ratings.

God Eater 2 uses the exact same grading scale for weapon and shield damage types, took time for me to get used to that too. Still don't think I fully get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I'm loving Night in the woods but I'm really god awful at these guitar hero segments - it's really hard trying to do this stuff with the number keys.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Action Tortoise posted:

Yes, it's obtuse. The only reason I figured out Circle was the best option was because there's a double Circle icon. Cross is worst, Triangle is bad, Circle is good, Double Circle is best.

I saw this kind of poo poo as early as Final Fantasy Legends 1 for the gameboy. Circle means yes or good, X means no or bad.
Which brings up another annoyance that has thankfully largely disappeared but was present in Metal Gear and some other games: devs not switching x to confirm and o to cancel when porting to the US.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Gloryhold It! posted:

I saw this kind of poo poo as early as Final Fantasy Legends 1 for the gameboy. Circle means yes or good, X means no or bad.
Which brings up another annoyance that has thankfully largely disappeared but was present in Metal Gear and some other games: devs not switching x to confirm and o to cancel when porting to the US.

Breath of the Wild does this (that is, B is cancel and A is confirm) and it bugs the poo poo out of me.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Morpheus posted:

Breath of the Wild does this (that is, B is cancel and A is confirm) and it bugs the poo poo out of me.

Isn't that how it usually works?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

RagnarokAngel posted:

Isn't that how it usually works?

Typically in the west, at least according to my muscle memory, the bottom button is confirm and the rightmost button is cancel.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Morpheus posted:

Typically in the west, at least according to my muscle memory, the bottom button is confirm and the rightmost button is cancel.

That's only for Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo has always - always - used A for confirm.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Herein lies the problem. Nintendo uses this button configuration:

Whereas everyone else uses this:

So if you're switching (ha, puns) between the two types it's easy to get confused.

I prefer Confirm to be the bottom button, cancel to the right. Which is how Xbox/PS4 does it. Which screws me up every time I go to play BotW lately.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Gloryhold It! posted:

Metal Gear took three games to figure out that "release Square to shoot" was an insane control scheme. Frankly I'm surprised they even use buttons.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

scarycave posted:

I'm loving Night in the woods but I'm really god awful at these guitar hero segments - it's really hard trying to do this stuff with the number keys.

You can rebind the bass keys in options, it's easier with more central keys. Give it a try with HJKL.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
This isn't directed at any game in specific, but the Xbox, PS and Nintendo controllers all put the X button on different sides if the four buttons layout and it drives me bonkers.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I used those joycons at a friends place and they're the worst. The worst named thing, too.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Len posted:

Well yeah nerds are always going to be crazy vocal that they don't have the Japanese to listen to and since those people are most likely the target demographic for the Yakuza games it makes sense but drat it I like dubs.

Well, the problem is that Yakuza did have dubs at one point, but they were really awful. Not even having Mark Hamil voice one of the characters was enough to save it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Well, the problem is that Yakuza did have dubs at one point, but they were really awful. Not even having Mark Hamil voice one of the characters was enough to save it.

Yeah but voice acting has hella improved since the ps2 era they could try again.

At least it's less ear splitting than Tokyo Mirage Sessions with it's screechy characters yelling things at me constantly.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Feonir posted:

This was the same in ME3 though. Power classes were bread and butter right up until you got your Black Widow rifles and such. A good biotic warp explosion will nuke things to death. Not sure how they do for Andromeda but it seems to follow that same kinda curve. If they have ammo mods still and combos still just hose dudes down with overload / incincerate and shock ammo. You win game good.

Combo explosions don't hit as hard in MEA, which makes life a bit harder for the power classes. Melee probably has the best button-awesome connection right now.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Len posted:

Yeah but voice acting has hella improved since the ps2 era they could try again.

At least it's less ear splitting than Tokyo Mirage Sessions with it's screechy characters yelling things at me constantly.

I think the it's also a budget thing. A good chunk of the cutscenes are prerendered and I don't think they wanna spend resources either upping the in-engine graphics so they could account for different voice tracks or render every important cutscene for every language they would localize.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Antioch posted:

Herein lies the problem. Nintendo uses this button configuration:

Whereas everyone else uses this:

So if you're switching (ha, puns) between the two types it's easy to get confused.

I prefer Confirm to be the bottom button, cancel to the right. Which is how Xbox/PS4 does it. Which screws me up every time I go to play BotW lately.

I've been using a wiiu pro controller for my of bc I didn't like the shoulder buttons on my xbone controller. You can set whether the bottom button is A or B but it threw off my friends when I let them use the controller. I'm back on the bone controller bc the wiiu one has stick drift and weird input buffering with the face buttons.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Len posted:

Yeah but voice acting has hella improved since the ps2 era

Not for dubs.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I really loving hate the range on bows in BotW. The Phrenic Bow is nice but on everything else I've found so far the arrow drop is just ridiculous. It makes some of the Korrok shooting challenges practically impossible, let alone pulling off awesome sniper shots in the bullet time when you shoot from the paraglider.

As someone who's not a completionist I really appreciate that there's no counters for the total number of shrines and Korrok seeds, but have they been confirmed? I heard 120 and 900 respectively. As much as I appreciate not having counters, having some in-game characters make ballpark guesses about them would be nice. At first I was hesitant to spend spirit orbs because I didn't realize just how plentiful shrines were.

Also, I wish that there was a separate button for picking up equipment vs. monster drops/ingredients/whatever.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

Not for dubs.

I was going to object before I remembered that Persona 4 was a PS2 game and oh God where have my days gone

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
In Dishonored 2 I've started getting attacked by workers in Mission 2 who had no problem with me before, with no warning. They're in a neutral area so I haven't started a fight in front of them. Also the fact that civilians who are scared of me have the exact same audio cue as actual enemies when they see me.

The game does a pretty poo poo job of giving you any idea who is about to cave your skull in and who isn't going to notice you and it's massively dragging the game down at the moment.

e: Some 'workers' do and other 'workers' just up the road don't. I don't get it. Seems like the only solution is to hover my crosshair over everyone.

Walton Simons has a new favorite as of 20:46 on Mar 27, 2017

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Antioch posted:

I never managed to get used to the XBox layout after playing SNES for so many years. And I'm in Europe, too, so we had red/green/blue/yellow associated with our buttons, also in a different combination from the XBox controller. Following tutorials or doing quick time events always wound up like that psychological test where they flash the name of a colour printed in a different colour and you have to name it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm finding BotW's fire dungeon really annoying as every 6 minutes I need to quaff another fire elixir for when I need to go outside, and now I'm out so I'll need to buy more and come back. None of the other dungeons made you leave if you sucked at them but this one does. At least I only have one terminal and then the boss to go.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm finding BotW's fire dungeon really annoying as every 6 minutes I need to quaff another fire elixir for when I need to go outside, and now I'm out so I'll need to buy more and come back. None of the other dungeons made you leave if you sucked at them but this one does. At least I only have one terminal and then the boss to go.

Did you not buy the heat-resistance gear?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I've played so many games for so many years across so many systems that the bottom-vs-right confirm button thing doesn't trip me up when I switch to Nintendo consoles or vice-versa but by god if I don't have to look at the controller every time to figure out which is X and which is Y in Xbox vs Nintendo.

Also I had a Japanese PSP for a while that would use Circle as confirm in the OS even when everything was set to English language settings and it was so bizarre and alien to my brain it was really crazy.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Did you not buy the heat-resistance gear?

Some of it, but I didn't know it would allow me to survive an active volcano. I just figured it was for temperatures that were hot but didn't break the thermometer like Death Mountain does.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

food court bailiff posted:

Also I had a Japanese PSP for a while that would use Circle as confirm in the OS even when everything was set to English language settings and it was so bizarre and alien to my brain it was really crazy.
Try putting emulators on it where every one arbitrarily uses either X or O to confirm. It's like playing brain training before you even select a game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Some of it, but I didn't know it would allow me to survive an active volcano. I just figured it was for temperatures that were hot but didn't break the thermometer like Death Mountain does.

No, that's a different set sold in the desert. The Goron gear is for "holy gently caress spontaneous combustion" temperatures.

You can also reduce your heat by keeping an Ice weapon equipped in a pinch.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

You could have... tried it on to see what happened. I mean it was sold at the foot of the volcano that was kind of a clue

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I couldn't afford all of it, I could only afford the leggings and didn't feel like grinding rupees at the time.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

I couldn't afford all of it, I could only afford the leggings and didn't feel like grinding rupees at the time.

Theres a quest you can do for a free peice of it along the path to the goron city and it involves catching the lizards you can use to make the fireproof elixers for free. Equip the leggings and trek back until you find some guys mining.

Its unfortunately easy to miss if you're like me and just book it to the city because oh god i only have three minutes before this elixer ends and i burn to death gogogo

Tengames has a new favorite as of 22:15 on Mar 27, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Oxxidation posted:

I was going to object before I remembered that Persona 4 was a PS2 game and oh God where have my days gone

That was almost ten years ago though

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

All the persona 4 kids are salary men now. Probably a couple of suicides

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yosuke...had a hard life.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
GTA Online has a stealth mission where you fail if anyone sees you, or sees a dead body, or hears a needle dropping into a haystack. These kinds of missions already blow in single player games, just IMAGINE having four people on it who need to coordinate takedowns.

Even with mics it's terrible. Without mics it's just barely doable, maybe.

Thoughtless has a new favorite as of 14:17 on Mar 28, 2017

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

Beyond the tutorial intro saving really isn't a issue? I wonder what you guys complaining about it thought of alien isolation or dead rising's save system.
Well considering 3 and 4 just let you save anywhere...
But there was no need for bathroom saving anywhere since both of those games had no stress on the player at all since the timer in 3 was so generous.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Thoughtless posted:

GTA Online has a stealth mission where you fail if anyone sees you, or sees a dead body, or hears a needle dropping into a haystack. These kinds of missions already blow in single player games, just IMAGINE having four people on it who need to coordinate takedowns.

It took so many loving tries even with mics. loving terrible mission.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Thoughtless posted:

Then there's the one that's like a half hour long bike ride across the map and the longer you take the less money you earn, but you're also being shot at and the more damage you take the less money you earn. So inevitably after the longest loving mission in the game everyone votes to restart because they didn't earn enough money.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Croccers posted:

Well considering 3 and 4 just let you save anywhere...
But there was no need for bathroom saving anywhere since both of those games had no stress on the player at all since the timer in 3 was so generous.

I've only played 2, which I consider the best dead rising :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Lord Lambeth posted:

I've only played 2, which I consider the best dead rising :colbert:

You're not wrong.

Content: Playing Xcom 2 with a buddy, and there are a few moments that just don't feel properly signposted to the player. Having boss-tier enemies just show up in the middle of a mission feels kind of unreasonable, even with our people leveled up. Also, Bradford needs to shut the gently caress up during missions. I know those civilians are dying, Central. YEAH I KNOW I NEED TO HACK THE COMPUTER CENTRAL.

It's especially grating because in-universe he's literally in the same room as the player character, watching the mission unfold on the same giant tv screen.