Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
By that logic no television show can be called good, only 'has good moments' because EVERY script has a few flaws. Every show has the odd shot which isn't right. The perfect piece of filmed entertainment does not exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Yes, but most shows don't have multiple hideously embarrassing moments in every episode.

I love new Who, but most of the best moments are marred somehow by idiocy elsewhere in the episode.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Please, take this to the like 4 Dr Who threads in this very forum, and then kill youreselves.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Dr. Who is just so BBC. There's a feeling/sensation with BBC Saturday night entertainment drama's and it never sits well with me even though I can't actually describe what it is about it that annoys me.

Also, the Masterchef winner gets less and less coverage each year. They really need to freshen up that format and my first suggestion would be completely new presenters.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Did anyone watch Tom Hollander as Dylan Thomas in A Poet in New York. Apparently DT was a big fat creep who felt sad. Hollander got the voice down pat, but the real draw is seeing the extreme facial mobility of whoever played the tall skinny New York poet. Every passing thought causes his whole face to deform, which is fun to see.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Jesus.For the first time I have sat through Derek. What cringey mawkish poo poo. Not only Gervais doing frankly offensive impression of a mentally disabled person, lets throw in a dog getting put down.loving bilge.

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 21, 2014

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Trickjaw posted:

Jesus.For the first time I have sat through Derek. What cringey hawkish suit. Not only Gervais doing frankly offensive impression of a mentally disabled person, lets throw in a dog getting put down.loving bilge.

The weirdest thing is that Gervais consistently says it's the best thing he's ever done :confused: it's such a load of old wank, what the hell is wrong with him

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Paperhouse posted:

The weirdest thing is that Gervais consistently says it's the best thing he's ever done :confused: it's such a load of old wank, what the hell is wrong with him

He must be confusing depressing with condescending. If I could have crawled out of my skin I would have. Its another poo poo night on the telly.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I think Gervais knows how bad it is. I'm not a fan of the man, but he can't be the level of stupid required to think that show has any redeeming quality.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Trickjaw posted:

Its another poo poo night on the telly.
Episodes is decent. The new series is on right now

I wish they'd put the first two series' up on iplayer so I could rewatch them though. I barely remember anything from the previous series.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I think Gervais knows how bad it is. I'm not a fan of the man, but he can't be the level of stupid required to think that show has any redeeming quality.
So he's intentionally writing a terrible show then? Or he's writing a show and it turns out terrible and he doesn't care and just pretends it's good? It's worth noting that Gervais formulated the Derek character years before it actually became a show and has done a couple of short Derek pieces prior to making the proper show. He must think it's good

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

So he's intentionally writing a terrible show then? Or he's writing a show and it turns out terrible and he doesn't care and just pretends it's good? It's worth noting that Gervais formulated the Derek character years before it actually became a show and has done a couple of short Derek pieces prior to making the proper show. He must think it's good

I think he knows how much money it's making him so he's saying the right things and writing it the way it will sell. He's a dick, but he's not stupid. And much as I loathe the show, it's extremely popular.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Why on earth would you somehow not assume that Gervais is so pompous he thinks his poo poo is golden?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

Why on earth would you somehow not assume that Gervais is so pompous he thinks his poo poo is golden?

Because that's just a character! He's not REALLY a condescending exploitative, self-aggrandising smug twat, he just plays one on TV... film... stage... video games... internet radio...

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Can someone explain the target audience of Bang Goes The Theory? I can't really watch it because the presenters always seem way over the top enthusiastic. I feel like someone is making me watch a punch and judy show.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Children.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Gaz-L posted:

Because that's just a character! He's not REALLY a condescending exploitative, self-aggrandising smug twat, he just plays one on TV... film... stage... video games... internet radio...
lmao

yeah, I don't think it's that at all. The show is extremely popular, true, but everything he's done since The Office has been because he's such a big name now. He doesn't need to cynically write a poo poo but crowd pleasing show intending to get rich and famous from it now, that already happened years ago. Also, everything he's done since The Office has been diminishing returns anyway. Cemetery Junction was almost as crap as Derek and was really quite similar in the way they both massively over egg the pathos pudding and end up schmaltzy, over earnest and undeservedly sentimental

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The best thing Ricky has done has been to introduce Karl Pilkington to the world.

Karl was the best thing in the XFM shows and anything they've done since.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I all love Stephen Mercha- I mean, DJ Badger though, right?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I watched Merchant's HBO show Hello Ladies a while ago, and while it wasn't amazing it was miles better than Derek and had both genuinely funny and genuinely nice moments in it. That was canceled and Derek lives on, poor Stephen

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Did anyone see Merchant doing a lip-sync battle on Jimmy Fallon a few months ago? It was the best.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

WastedJoker posted:

Did anyone see Merchant doing a lip-sync battle on Jimmy Fallon a few months ago? It was the best.

Oh, yes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4ajQ-foj2Q
Gordon Levitt is an obvious winner, by the way.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
This is probably one of my favourite things Merchant has ever done, posing as a poo poo underground DJ on James Blake's radio show. The best bit is that Blake had been playing 'DJ Badger' tracks for weeks before with no explanation as to why he was doing this or who DJ Badger was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBksa0tocts

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Ray Mears on BBC4. All is good with the world.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
to counter that, on next week's question time are piers morgan and joey barton

lol

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Question Time is always garbage whoever's on it, it's really bad.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Pablo Bluth posted:

Ray Mears on BBC4. All is good with the world.

Enjoyed that, thanks for the heads up.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've been watching 8 out of 10 Cats Does Countdown and I think I'm in love with Rachel Riley. :allears:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Captain Mediocre posted:

Enjoyed that, thanks for the heads up.
Had a chuckle at his use of the phrase "what a glory hole.".

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Was Gordon with Ray? I hope he was, I miss him.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmmk3RCz6SI

Reminder of the time some of his students tried to poison him, poor Gordon.

Jakabite fucked around with this message at 12:58 on May 23, 2014

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Did anyone else watch the first episode of Penny Dreadful? I thought it was pretty good. Pretty cheesy but in a good way. Also anything with Timothy Dalton punching vampires in the face earns a few points from me.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

McDragon posted:

Did anyone else watch the first episode of Penny Dreadful? I thought it was pretty good. Pretty cheesy but in a good way. Also anything with Timothy Dalton punching vampires in the face earns a few points from me.

I was highly dubious when I heard it had vamps in it but it seems like they're the good kind of vamps. Gonna try the first ep this weekend.

Timothy Dalton is massively under-rated! Loved him in Hot Fuzz.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

stickyfngrdboy posted:

to counter that, on next week's question time are piers morgan and joey barton

lol

because barton played for Newcastle for so long i forgot he has a really thick scouse accent, hopefully his time in france has diluted it, hopefully he namedrops brunel on the show like he did on twitter

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

This seems like the best place to ask, but does anyone have any tips for cheaper accommodation during the Fringe Festival?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

PriorMarcus posted:

This seems like the best place to ask, but does anyone have any tips for cheaper accommodation during the Fringe Festival?

Don't go to Edinburgh.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

Find a Four-bed flat, rent it for the month. Should cost about 3 grand.

Then move in with 20 people to make the rent something sensible.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Glasgow, get the train every day.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Derek is such tripe

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

PriorMarcus posted:

Commute in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, stay anywhere but Edinburgh. Actually, stay nowhere that's even in the Lothians.