Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Avalanche posted:

You loving assholes convinced me to buy this god drat game on PS4.

Installing it now...

How do you communicate with each other? Do I need to hook a keyboard up to my PS4?

I got if for PS4 as well. It's playable on a controller if you only party with other PS4 players because then you can do the built in party chat. Get a keyboard. Game plays much better.

Oh yeah there's also a mumble. check the OP of the thread for a link to ffgoons and info is in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Truga posted:

Did eurogoons ever move off excalibur though? I mean, I get good enough ping to excal from eastern europe that it doesn't matter on titex.

The Euro servers are still located in North America, iirc. As a result, you will get the same ping to every non-Japanese server since they are all in the same data center. Unless they relocated them without me realizing it.

The point of playing on a "Euro" server is just that the playtimes of most users on them will line up so there is a Euro-centric prime time.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Kibner posted:

Unless they relocated them without me realizing it.

I've got some news for you, friend...

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Nipponophile posted:

I've got some news for you, friend...

:eyepop: They did something intelligent for not-Japan based players?!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Kibner posted:

The Euro servers are still located in North America, iirc. As a result, you will get the same ping to every non-Japanese server since they are all in the same data center. Unless they relocated them without me realizing it.

The point of playing on a "Euro" server is just that the playtimes of most users on them will line up so there is a Euro-centric prime time.

They were moved without you realizing it: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/3aa6f720b864e160a3af09e9b08c71cb4be72616

e:fb

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Kibner posted:

:eyepop: They did something intelligent for not-Japan based players?!

No, they're still on Level 3's garbage infrastructure.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Im starting to gather from the shower of player commendations I'm getting as a tank that there are lots of really stupid ones playing huh?

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

LethalGeek posted:

Im starting to gather from the shower of player commendations I'm getting as a tank that there are lots of really stupid ones playing huh?

Tanks and healers are commendation magnets.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

LethalGeek posted:

They're an easy candidate for commendation unless the DPS is really stellar. Or lucky.

I got one the other day as MNK after somehow timing my stuns perfectly twice on Teratosaur's Mortal Ray.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Belzac posted:

DRG is the class most likely to get you killed playing it correctly. This combined with it being enticing to small children makes it lol drg. Thankfully Ninja came out and though they might not get themselves killed as much they're usually played far worse.

Dragoon also used to have an effective penalty to defense against magic, so they also were very fragile in some circumstances.

Even Square got on the loldrg train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDg44MVJLrw

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Tortolia posted:

Dragoon also used to have an effective penalty to defense against magic, so they also were very fragile in some circumstances.

Even Square got on the loldrg train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDg44MVJLrw

I enjoyed this. What does the Warrior say at the end?

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Leofish posted:

I enjoyed this. What does the Warrior say at the end?

He's getting a linkpearl call from Minfilia asking him to come to the Waki- er, Sapporo FATE event.

The DRG who fell off immediately getting the Nightmare Whistle was a nice touch, I have to say.

Bertram Weatherby fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 16, 2016

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
For those who were worried about me not having any fun, I found goons on Hyperion. They're nice dudes.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Hommando posted:

Tanks and healers are commendation magnets.

I'm lvl46 DPS with 23 commendations. Am...am I a good DPS or a bad one?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That depends on if you've done 10 dungeons or a hundred.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Aphrodite posted:

That depends on if you've done 10 dungeons or a hundred.

I can count more times I've gotten at least one commendation then not. Good point.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I did an Ifrit fight with a fee peeps last night. drat that was intense. First time my healer actually had to focus on healing instead of being a weak DPS through out the entire fight. Sorry to any folks I left hanging by a thread with their lives flashing before their eyes before a cure came in.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

SonicRulez posted:

For those who were worried about me not having any fun, I found goons on Hyperion. They're nice dudes.

Glad you're enjoying playing on the best server! I'm Jinh Charizard in game, let's kill stuff together sometime.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

UglyDucklett posted:

Glad you're enjoying playing on the best server! I'm Jinh Charizard in game, let's kill stuff together sometime.

Hell yeah! I was actually just staring at the World Transfer screen debating if I want to see what this Excalibur thing is all about when I checked in on the thread and saw this post. I'm taking it as a sign.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Alexander's theme is amazing. Why am I enjoying such a terrible piece of music. :allears:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

poptart_fairy posted:

Alexander's theme is amazing. Why am I enjoying such a terrible piece of music. :allears:

Wait till you get to A4.

rockrobster
Jun 14, 2013
So I've been playing for a couple of weeks, and I'm specifically looking to raid at end game. However, I'm having a tough time choosing between monk and ninja. From what I've seen monk has the higher damage, but almost no raid utility. While ninja is the oposite. If monk was (which it is slightly) the job I would rather play, will it be any harder to find a good raiding position?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Play the job you prefer playing. It'll be harder to find a raiding group as DPS anyway but it'll be fine.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
The ideal raid composition has a Ninja and a Dragoon as the two melee DPS. Monks are in a hard spot right now because even with their greater individual DPS, the greatest asset to the team (Dragon Kick) is provided by a Dark Knight. We don't know how things will change in 3.2 though. Dark Knights may be replaced by Paladins which may increase the need for Monks.

Regardless, you should just learn to play both Monk and Ninja.

rockrobster
Jun 14, 2013

Chyea posted:

The ideal raid composition has a Ninja and a Dragoon as the two melee DPS. Monks are in a hard spot right now because even with their greater individual DPS, the greatest asset to the team (Dragon Kick) is provided by a Dark Knight. We don't know how things will change in 3.2 though. Dark Knights may be replaced by Paladins which may increase the need for Monks.

Thanks, this was the answer I was looking for!

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Chyea posted:

This. Every class is good and fun in its own way.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Play the job you prefer playing. It'll be harder to find a raiding group as DPS anyway but it'll be fine.

I don't think this is typically true, fwiw.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

What are the raid compositions in this game anyway?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

LethalGeek posted:

Well they're eight man teams. Depending on the content it's two tanks, two healers, and four DPS. Right now the two tanks are Warrior and Dark Knight, the healers are whatever as long as it's not two Astrologians, and the DPS is whatever the group can play that they're actually good at, though Summoner is pretty popular and Monk remains a perennial favorite due to Mantra, their debuff kick thing, and decent damage output. Bards are popular but not as much since they went kind of sideways on damage with their post 50 changes, other than that, I can't tell you.

Especially since all Alexander Savage cares about is damage, damage, damage.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

LethalGeek posted:

We run DRG/SMN/BLM/BRD/AST/SCH/WAR/DRK at the moment.

EDIT: We're a pretty casual raid group that only meets twice a week. We had a month and a half full of substitutions because of absence, but we're almost done with the 4th leg on A4S so hopefully should finish that soon.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 17, 2016

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Nice! posted:

Wait till you get to A4.

BOOM GOBBIEDOOM

Gobbiespeak is amazing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

poptart_fairy posted:

BOOM GOBBIEDOOM

Gobbiespeak is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7LiDzSBvaM

It's seriously one of my favorite songs in the game.

Best use of music so far, though, is T13. That was so loving amazing when first clearing that. The syncing up with bahamut's skills was just loving awesome.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

In general any composition that fits the 2/2/4 matchup will work for stuff outside progression, though. Some stuff you can actually solo tank if you outgear it enough.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
If you're playing on PS4, you DO need a keyboard to type. There is an in-game option to type with the controller, but it will take far too much time and is ultimately a terrible idea.

The Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 17, 2016

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

The combination of A3S and A4S are causing a lot more groups to disband on Cactuar than I expected. I imagine other non Gilgamesh/Excalibur servers are seeing similar churn, so I hope 3.2 is good.

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

Excalibur has seen a lot of groups disband, too. This raid tier has been very poorly received overall.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Mr. Nice! posted:

We run DRG/SMN/BLM/BRD/AST/SCH/WAR/DRK at the moment.

EDIT: We're a pretty casual raid group that only meets twice a week. We had a month and a half full of substitutions because of absence, but we're almost done with the 4th leg on A4S so hopefully should finish that soon.

ONLY twice a week? Jesus H. Christ, I must have been some super casual pubbie noob poo poo if my old raid group back in WoW only raided once a week!

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

ONLY twice a week? Jesus H. Christ, I must have been some super casual pubbie noob poo poo if my old raid group back in WoW only raided once a week!

Well, Raids are literally 'Enter Queue, Fight boss'. There aren't waves of trash or an entire dungeon to get through first, compared to WoW. The closest we have to that are the old Crystal Tower/World of Darkness Raids, and Void Ark. Those take three full teams, but are generally considered much easier than the Savage level raid bosses.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

And? I'm just saying that on the progression raiding scale we're not that serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Ninja is a loving stupid job and should be redesigned. No job's dps should have a significant factor being "I don't do much but I make others do more to make up for it". That design is loving stupid and impossible for them to balance and even if they did balance it perfectly with the popularity of fflogs it doesn't even matter. Monk could do 10% more damage than the Ninja WITH all the bonus damage poo poo factored in and people would still favor ninjas purely for padding. It's a terrible design choice and should be minimized as much as possible.

• Locked thread