Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

CrusherEAGLE posted:

I have the original 100% prima strategy guide for FFX-2. What are the changes?

Just wondering if there will be any significant changes to get to 100% this time around, seeing as I have the original guide and all and don't want to miss anything.

Last time I missed 100% on the first run through by just one scene D=

Hearing a bunch of people in here say stuff like this about missing or skipping one cutscene somewhere has definitely put me off attempting 100% on my first run through of the FFX-2 remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
They showed off a bit of Theatrythm: Curtain Call during a FF14 event. You'll be able to play with the controller buttons instead of the stylus this time around. (you know if it even releases in the US)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ohtsam posted:

They showed off a bit of Theatrythm: Curtain Call during a FF14 event. You'll be able to play with the controller buttons instead of the stylus this time around. (you know if it even releases in the US)
GOTY confirmed. Didn't the original sell well enough that we have a shot at getting CC?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Wait, they didn't include a skip cutscene option? No. NO. I'm ready loving raging at Seymour 3 in anticipation and I haven't even gotten this game yet.

Step 1: Poison him.
Step 2: there isn't one because you've already won.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Systematic System posted:

By break, you really mean, basically the only way to do it. God help you if you try to fight Earth Eater or the watery Sphere man without Attack Reels as it'll take an eternity. Quick Hit was nerfed for the International Version: it now costs three times as much MP, and is a "Rank 3" ability rather than "Rank 2". For example, using an item is a "Rank 1" ability, and regular attack is "Rank 4."

Uh, what does an attacks Rank mean or do? This is the first I've heard of the mechanic.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

Uh, what does an attacks Rank mean or do? This is the first I've heard of the mechanic.

Basically how long you have to wait between turns based on your actions. Item's a rank 1 action so you can take your next turn much sooner than if you used a normal attack.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

CrusherEAGLE posted:

I have the original 100% prima strategy guide for FFX-2. What are the changes?

Just wondering if there will be any significant changes to get to 100% this time around, seeing as I have the original guide and all and don't want to miss anything.

Last time I missed 100% on the first run through by just one scene D=

Gamefaqs existed by the time FFX-2 came out, what are you doing!?!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

TARDISman posted:

Basically how long you have to wait between turns based on your actions. Item's a rank 1 action so you can take your next turn much sooner than if you used a normal attack.

Oh. So basically they made Quick Hit less, well, Quick.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Yeah, like it matters that much, since a Hasted Quick Hit still lets you whack the enemy about 4 or 5 times in a row.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

precision posted:

Unskippable voiced cutscenes are nowhere near as annoying as unskippable scenes in 7-9 where you have to keep pressing X to advance mountains of dialogue. :shrug:

Yeah, but if you have to go through any of those more than once, you've done something horribly wrong.

e: And it's O in 7, thank you very much.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I've seen some good tips in here on how to break FFX (poison is really powerful, aeon overdrives) but anyone have any tips on powerful moves for X-2? Any monsters or dress sphere combos that could make the game easier?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDg44MVJLrw

Squeenix made a 16-bit version of an FF14 boss. Watch the dragoon. :allears:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

Only one to get hit by a plume, only uses one attack other than Jump, dies when the platforms fall, still gets the loot at the end. :w00t:

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Endorph posted:

Would play the poo poo out of an MMO like this.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Is there a way to edit ff7 for pc, I want to add new materia and generally make the game harder than it is

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Endorph posted:

Based on things like this and the FFXIII summary thing they put out a few months ago, they clearly still understand charming 16-bit graphics. So I wish they'd stop letting all these hideous mobile remakes come out. It's cruel to keep putting out cool looking unplayable stuff, while the actual playable games look like rear end.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Ohtsam posted:

Oh boy. Oh boy. Oh boy.

(please come to lowly europe :negative:)

First trailer for Theathrythm Curtain Call:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bgIEYGozQEA

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Brasseye posted:

I've seen some good tips in here on how to break FFX (poison is really powerful, aeon overdrives) but anyone have any tips on powerful moves for X-2? Any monsters or dress sphere combos that could make the game easier?

While it depends on where you are in the game, there are a few things:

-A Songstress can practically shut down any enemy formation til the last boss of Chapter 2 using a combination of Darkness Dance, Samba of Silence, Sleepy Shuffle and/or Breakdance.
-Dark Knights' Darkness ignores enemy defenses. Pair two up with an Alchemist to Stash Mega-Potions and you have a powerful team til late-game.
-The Cat Nip near the end of the game can be abused with the Gunner's Trigger Happy or Lady Luck's Four Dice for very heavy damage.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

Based on things like this and the FFXIII summary thing they put out a few months ago, they clearly still understand charming 16-bit graphics. So I wish they'd stop letting all these hideous mobile remakes come out. It's cruel to keep putting out cool looking unplayable stuff, while the actual playable games look like rear end.

Yeah I definitely don't understand what Square is doing with some of their phone remakes. The enemy sprites look great but then everything else looks like it was made in RPGmaker in about 5 minutes. I'm not against revisiting or remastering the art from 4,5, and 6... but at least do it justice, you know? The SNES games had fantastic spritework so if you're going to replace them you oughta' have something beautiful lined up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

-The Cat Nip near the end of the game can be abused with the Gunner's Trigger Happy or Lady Luck's Four Dice for very heavy damage.

The International Version changed this. You're afflicted with Berserk and Slow now when it is equipped.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ImpAtom posted:

The International Version changed this. You're afflicted with Berserk and Slow now when it is equipped.

Does the Songstress' Hastemarch override it? If so, Thief would be the best combination since their physical attacks hit twice, so you can get close to 20k every time they strike.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Endorph posted:

This is pretty awesome. What is the Fighter saying at the end though?

Also: yeah, if only the Titan EX fight took two minutes. >_<

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Question: is the rerelease of X 50 or 60hz? I remember seeing footage of the original American release and everyone looked like they were in Haste all the time :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

BottledBodhisvata posted:

This is pretty awesome. What is the Fighter saying at the end though?

From Reddit:

quote:

Roughly:

"... can you hear me?

"It's me, Minfilia.

"Do not watch these silly videos.

"Pray return to the Waking Sands--oh, right.

"Can you come to Sapporo?

"I'll be waiting."

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Question: is the rerelease of X 50 or 60hz? I remember seeing footage of the original American release and everyone looked like they were in Haste all the time :v:

I'd be amazed if its not a flat 60 at this point. The 50/60 split hasn't been a thing for ages, so it'd be real weird to arbitrarily make it happen now.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
drat it, the Patch 2.2 trailer just really makes me wanna fire up this game again, but I can't resubscribe yet. drat it all. drat you Gilgamesh!

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Does the Songstress' Hastemarch override it? If so, Thief would be the best combination since their physical attacks hit twice, so you can get close to 20k every time they strike.

No, but if you equip something that gives Auto-Haste, it'll cancel the slow.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Dragonatrix posted:

I'd be amazed if its not a flat 60 at this point. The 50/60 split hasn't been a thing for ages, so it'd be real weird to arbitrarily make it happen now.

It's only because the rerelease is the international version, so I wondered if it was international speed or American speed. It's going to seem so weird and fast!

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

It's only because the rerelease is the international version, so I wondered if it was international speed or American speed. It's going to seem so weird and fast!

I picked it up today, it's 60hz. And good thing too, having faster movement speed is nothing but a good thing.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Brasseye posted:

Lady Luck - Congrats is a free bribe which works on most enemies including lots of bosses
Dark Knight - Darkness + Alchemist Megapotion is basically unkillable and will ignore enemy defenses
Somebody posted the new expansion will let you farm iron dukes easily which will basically make every class OP

ImpAtom posted:

I have 100%d X2 (NA) like 4x or 5x and still have no idea how you're supposed to kill a Mega Tonberry without cat nip.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

I have 100%d X2 (NA) like 4x or 5x and still have no idea how you're supposed to kill a Mega Tonberry without cat nip.

Kill a bunch of regular Tonberries until it Oversouls. It's actually a lot easier then. :v:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Lady Luck - Congrats is a free bribe which works on most enemies including lots of bosses
Dark Knight - Darkness + Alchemist Megapotion is basically unkillable and will ignore enemy defenses
Somebody posted the new expansion will let you farm iron dukes easily which will basically make every class OP

Two exceptions to the Dark Knight+Alchemist combo - You want enough health to survive Nooj's Lightfall; I usually use Warriors for that fight. Paragon counters Darkness with Big Bang, too.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

You can do it simply with Phoenix Downs and regular physical attacks. Maybe a few Mega Phoenixes if things get dicey.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Brasseye posted:

I got Rikku and Yuna's special desspheres and they pretty much carried me through the rest of the game. I wasn't masochistic enough to go after all the superbosses though. I only remember the one in the Desert that has upwards of 350k HP, no thank you.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

The actual "International" version (the Japanese re-release that actually says International on the box and title screen) was 60 Hz as well, just PAL regions got the bad 50 Hz port, like with a lot of games back then.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Quick question for the US Vita owners of X/X-2. Does the physical release contain multiple cartridges or have they made X-2 a download only? I'm interested in this but I don't want to have to buy a new memory card just for 1 game.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Nyeehg posted:

Quick question for the US Vita owners of X/X-2. Does the physical release contain multiple cartridges or have they made X-2 a download only? I'm interested in this but I don't want to have to buy a new memory card just for 1 game.

For the Vita, the box comes with a physical copy of X and a download code for X-2.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
The fiend arena is really great. It's fun to pop a support job on one of the girls and watch your fiends go to town.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Skeezy posted:

For the Vita, the box comes with a physical copy of X and a download code for X-2.

On the plus side, this means you can buy it, play X, and sell the code for X-2 to someone else while pretending it never existed :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Skeezy posted:

Shite. I knew this was the case in the UK but i hoped it was different over in the US.

What is the point of a physical release if it only provides a download code? I've avoided digital releases for a while because my PSN connection is spotty at best which makes downloading a game of that size a chore at the best of times (assuming the connection doesn't get completely lost during the download). Was any of this mentioned in the pre release materials or did it only become known once the game was in people's hands?

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

On the plus side, this means you can buy it, play X, and sell the code for X-2 to someone else while pretending it never existed :v:

Unfortunately, I am one of those scumbags who loved X-2 (though some of the costume design and Leblanc were irredeemably terrible). Not having a physical copy means my desire for the vita version just plummeted. A shame really.