Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

:hmmyes:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/arstechnica/status/1599794136600780800?s=20&t=Ovt_LkUGkY2KnEVpe_psjA

quote:

After a long night of playing Dwarf Fortress, I had a concerned look on my face when I finally went to bed. My wife asked what was wrong. "I think I actually want to keep playing this," I said. I felt a nagging concern for many weeknights to come.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The other thing about gang tags:

Make sure the gang tag *is a clickable link back to the dwarf fortress thread*

Overall I prefer no text but clickable. What's this? It seems ambiguous! I will click!

Animated text that changes can get a little annoying because it holds my attention to read the next word(s) in sequence

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 5, 2022

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Popete posted:

I like the second one myself. Maybe with some text on the left side?

Edit: Oh that one is pretty large, here is a compressed version down to 10 KiB.

I like the text one

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The other thing about gang tags:

Make sure the gang tag *is a clickable link back to the dwarf fortress thread*

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

My only real wish for this release is that they'd just wholesale rip off dwarf therapist for labor management

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Maybe compromise and just have a little fixed yellow text

"Strike The
Earth"

Off in the left? Might have to cut off a tiny amount of the blue cave wall.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Make it the official Dwarf Font. Otherwise, perfection.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I like the version without text better, but both have a little hitch in the loop

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i cant wait to hear that friggin guitar again

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I'm getting pretty excited to Strike the Earth, guys.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I’m for no text, but if yes text, make it say, like, “fun” with the quotes and all.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Do we know how sophisticated worldgen is? If I can jigger it to satisfy my profound thirst for volcano starts, I may just disappear through January.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Polio Vax Scene posted:

I like the version without text better, but both have a little hitch in the loop

I like the text version better but yeah if we can fix the regularity of the animation either is nice

Probably past time I replaced me Jammy Bastards tag, Corbyn is a distant memory :(

E: also please centre align “The” and “Earth” with respect to “Strike”

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

Make it the official Dwarf Font. Otherwise, perfection.

I just used ez-gif to add the text so they have limited selection. Does anyone know what the official Dwarf Font is?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Nessus posted:

Do we know how sophisticated worldgen is? If I can jigger it to satisfy my profound thirst for volcano starts, I may just disappear through January.

afaik nothing about it is changing, so it should just be as detailed as ever. I have a personal policy to really try to not re-worldgen because of the many times I spent more time doing that than actually starting and playing any fort. Especially since I was hunting for "perfect" sites, which really just make the game easier and less exciting.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

I'd also be very into a gangtag - just in time for the doom spiral surrounding the completely remade controls that annihilate a decade and a half of muscle memory for thousands.

According to a reddit post, you can enable legacy controls and let your fingers run wild

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Khanstant posted:

Especially since I was hunting for "perfect" sites, which really just make the game easier and less exciting.

I've been playing with the same starting conditions for 10 years. 2 miners/engravers, 1 woodcutter/carpenter, 1 mason/mechanic, 1 farmer/brewer, 1 administrator, 1 stonecrafter. 3x3, warm, woodland, any surroundings but sinister or terrifying. Unless I get an early werebeast attack or unfulfillable strange mood I am basically invincible but it's gotten so formulaic. I'm actually so looking foward for this to be an opportunity to start fresh and try some different approaches. I haven't been this excited about a game release in years

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Lemon posted:

I realise I could've donated at any point but I'm genuinely looking forward to finally handing over some money tomorrow.

I'm really curious to see what the sales figures & review scores are going to be.

I'm super curious now that it will be sold for dollars, just how quickly money from sales will surpass the total made from donations and such over the years so far.

What a crazy time we live in that this is actually happening tomorrow. I'm so excited!

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Aquasnake posted:

I'm super curious now that it will be sold for dollars, just how quickly money from sales will surpass the total made from donations and such over the years so far.

What a crazy time we live in that this is actually happening tomorrow. I'm so excited!

it's the 13th most wishlisted item on steam right now, so it might happen pretty darn quick

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

I for one hope it runs on the deck.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Well, well, well.

I can feel the itch to strike the earth again.

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

Is there any word on if this version will support succession games? If it does sign me up for the inevitable goon hellfort.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

thunderspanks posted:

it's the 13th most wishlisted item on steam right now, so it might happen pretty darn quick

https://twitter.com/tanyaxshort/status/1598706787976302592?s=20&t=wUaHfkzm_PjEpaiTK_gkNQ

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Neat, that’s interesting stuff. For whatever reason I would assume DF would be a significant outlier (probably to the upside) but I guess we’ll see.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I think at $30 it will probably end up in that zone, but they have a power of the discount. I think a ten dollar Dwarf Fortress would move Undertale numbers.

But they deserve their piece of the pie. Not everyone can be Toby Fox, moving up to the fancy spaghetti on the back of their cartoon game.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I can't believe that Steam Dwarf Fortress will be in my shopping cart within a matter of hours. It's finally happening!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I think there's definitely potential here for a minecraft style megahit. It could also stay in the ghetto of cult games. I'd be really curious to know how many people have downloaded it over the years.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

thunderspanks posted:

I've been playing with the same starting conditions for 10 years. 2 miners/engravers, 1 woodcutter/carpenter, 1 mason/mechanic, 1 farmer/brewer, 1 administrator, 1 stonecrafter. 3x3, warm, woodland, any surroundings but sinister or terrifying. Unless I get an early werebeast attack or unfulfillable strange mood I am basically invincible but it's gotten so formulaic. I'm actually so looking foward for this to be an opportunity to start fresh and try some different approaches. I haven't been this excited about a game release in years

It's also been so long since I played, I kinda forgot all the set-ups I preferred back then. Plus back then it was a way to balance the game for myself, having the wrestle the UI and all was enough of a hassle I didn't want to add super hard or risky gameplay into the mix. But then I had too many forts I got bored of, they went to smoothly and I was just killing time re-sculpting rooms and hallways n stuff while time passed without much else going on. This time I wanna settle somewhere rucked-up and do my best to not die, if I thrive I wanna earn it with dorfs, not clever map surveying.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think there's definitely potential here for a minecraft style megahit. It could also stay in the ghetto of cult games. I'd be really curious to know how many people have downloaded it over the years.
I've been playing it off and on for 16 years now (I'm pretty near the bottom of the Champions list~)

I've got to get it, but I dunno who else is in the same boat

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think there are a lot of players like myself, played it on and off over the years but never gotten very far into it. I absolutely love the game and hope to really deep dive in with this release.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

RimWorld is probably in the 2-3 million copies sold area. I guess I could see this doing better or worse than that but I can’t imagine it’d be drastically so. Maybe to the downside since people can just play it for $0.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I could see it doing 1 million over the next year or two tbh.

I’d love for it to be way higher though

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
https://twitter.com/skullamity/status/1587886752479719425?s=19

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

I just used ez-gif to add the text so they have limited selection. Does anyone know what the official Dwarf Font is?

I found a DF font here

Updated gif with correct font. Although after I used ezgif lossy compression it only shrunk down to 26KiB.

Compressed:

Original uncompressed is here if someone smarter than me can figure out how to shrink the size.

Uncompressed:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Reduce frame count?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

There's some visual noise animated in the rock that could easily be removed by keeping that part of the animation frozen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's likely something funky with using ezgif website to split the gif into separate frames and then put it back together.

I start from Yoopers original gif.