Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

So for E.Y.E., what stats should I focus on for a big tank guy with lots of guns?

If you mean when you're rolling a character, you want to set all the genes to Metastreum and spend a while rerolling til all your stats are 30+ except mental balance which doesn't matter. (Also, never put points into it on level up, it increases and decreases on its own based on how much scary poo poo you've seen recently.) To be really tanky in the game you'll want to get whatever prereqs you need for Dermal Sheath and put money into the cyber implants that make energy regen faster and make Dermal Sheath more efficient.
At some point the game will start throwing armored enemies at you that will take very little damage from most of your weapons. If you just want to shootmans you can work toward the required stats for the BearKiller pistol (it's literally the revolver from Blade Runner and you can shoot down helicopters with it) which will take most of a first playthrough on Normal or you can depend on the unsilenced sniper rifle for armor piercing and branch off into turrets and drones or Psi powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Pengu! posted:

Are the Batman Arkham games worth getting for $5 each? I've heard good things about them, but I've also heard they have some sort of third party DRM which has been scaring me away this whole time.

No matter where you get them, the first two (Asylum and City) absolutely are. I haven't played beyond City yet, but the general consensus seems that they start to run out of ideas/characters and later games are a bit of a cash-in. I didn't notice any DRM in the first 2 on Steam, so if something is in there, at least for me, it worked seamlessly through the Steam client.

AA is a great metroid-beatemup-vania(?) with solid combat, fun exploration and well done stealth. My only complaint is the last few boss battles kinda suck, and by the end of the game encounters have gotten a bit repetitive (room full of guys with pipes and bats? Melee combat. Room full of guys with guns? Stealth takedowns.).

AC is a lot more varied, and instead of Metroid style areas you're in a GTA-style city and can travel freely. You keep all your gadgets and stuff the first game so you have tons of combat/movement options right away. I actually haven't finished it yet, if anything there's too much to do/collect and it can get overwhelming, but that's more my gaming ADD than a fault with AC itself.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Arkham Origins mostly just copies stuff from Arkham City, and adds a bunch of random dumb poo poo that makes the game a lot more tedious. That said, for 5 bux it's still way better than many other games at that price.

But if you haven't played them, you really need to get Asylum and City (and play them in that order).

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Floridiot posted:

Has anyone come across Alien Isolation for cheaper than the $25 Amazon is selling it for?

G2A.com has it cheaper (around $21 with the G2A shield), but I've been gunshy on buying it so I can't vouch for a seller.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Eruonen posted:

Would you recommend upgrading for someone who doesn't have DotE?

No clue! I have like 2 hours clocked on Endless Legends, but dozens in Dungeon.

Morter posted:

Watched a gameplay/"What is" video of this and it seems very very interesting. I like being a tactician in some games but the problem is I'm terrible at all forms of roguelikes. Even the gimmicky/hybrid ones like Crypt of the NecroDancer, I can barely get past Zone 2, although I'm happy to support it. I'm afraid to get this because I won't get much progress in it.

What's weighing in on my decision is: How stable is multiplayer?

Also, do I really have to buy "upgrades" from other games in order to get all of the unlockables for this game? It feels crazy to spend over 5 bucks for an upgrade to a game I don't have/not interested in to unlock a spaceship and a hero for this game. I'm so confused by it all.

Stability really depends on the connection, but there are definite multiplayer problems. You can't save and continue, which is the biggest one. As a result, a crash or disconnect will pretty much end the run, though you can continue it in single player. Like I mentioned before, a successful (or even unsuccessful) run could potentially take hours, which would be absolutely heartbreaking if you get a disconnect 2-3 hours in. As far as I'm aware, the devs are working on the multiplayer for the next patch. Maybe wait for the Christmas sale if you're still on the fence?

As for the upgrades, I had plenty of fun without the two bonus characters and pods (one set each for the DotE upgrade and the Endless Legend upgrade) before the sale. I just threw in some extra money to support Amplitude. You can't get those two sets otherwise, but it wouldn't detract from your enjoyment of the game, unless you've got a huge OCD problem with 100%ing everything.

If I manage to convince anyone to buy Dungeon of the Endless, hit me up on Steam, and I can do a quick runthrough with you online, since the tutorial is rather basic, and doesn't mention any of the nuances you learn while playing.

EDIT: Extra style points for the game: If you don't use voicechat, textchat has a novel way of going about things. Speech bubbles will appear over your characters (In single player, you'll get quips and such). Feel free to roleplay your pixel Not Samus, I guess.

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 28, 2014

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

...Dungeon of the Endless synopsis...

Aweosme -- thank you. I'm sold.

I'm not sure how reliably I'll be online in the near future, but if I'm on and in the game, I'd be up for trying the MP. My steam name is mccoypauley.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I'm going to buy Euro Truck Simulator 2 even though it doesn't have Iberia, you guiri fucks. :spain:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I found this kinda amusing:

Thanks, Valve. What an apt visual metaphor for regional restrictions loving people over.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

TastyLemonDrops posted:

EDIT: Extra style points for the game: If you don't use voicechat, textchat has a novel way of going about things. Speech bubbles will appear over your characters (In single player, you'll get quips and such). Feel free to roleplay your pixel Not Samus, I guess.

Did I mention the music is awesome? Because it is.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

HenryEx posted:

I found this kinda amusing:

Thanks, Valve. What an apt visual metaphor for regional restrictions loving people over.
What am I supposed to be seeing here :confused:

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

misguided rage posted:

The confused looking explorers/miners are searching for the missing games that should be in their place, I guess.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

misguided rage posted:

Some miners bumming instead of sweet deals on Sleeping Dogs, Chivalry, GRID Autosport or Mortal Kombat.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Pyromancer posted:

Styx is great, it borrows just about every good idea from other stealth games and does it well, but doesn't make you overpowered and really drives home the point you shouldn't fight anyone head on. While you sneak about you can assassinate guards, poison their food, push them off the ledge or drop a chandelier on them. If you get into open fight you're in QTE basically to parry one guard's blows and kill him, however if there are others around they don't stand idly and shoot you instead. The fight with multiple enemies ends poorly for you, given that you'll only last for 3 hits from average guard even on normal(and elites 1-hit you).

It's not the prettiest game graphically and it has some strange kinks in climbing controls. Namely sometimes you don't really know if you'll be able to jump to ledge that's above and to the side of you; also there's no button to hang off the ledge you're standing on you have to walk off it slowly if that's what you want.

How does Styx control with mouse and keyboard?

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Is the Emperor pack in Endless Legend worth it, what with it seeming to add a few things to the base game?

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Which if any of AO, banner saga, or darksiders2 for $5? I've played aa and ac and ds1 and were enjoyable enough but heard these all had problems. Are they worth a 5 and some time?

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

ImPureAwesome posted:

Which if any of AO, banner saga, or darksiders2 for $5? I've played aa and ac and ds1 and were enjoyable enough but heard these all had problems. Are they worth a 5 and some time?

Darksiders 2 is definitely worth $5, it's a fun actiony game. It has its problems, but as far as 3rd person action games go, it's pretty fun. I think DS1 was better to be honest, but DS2 is completely fine, and for that price is definitely worth it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Is the Emperor pack in Endless Legend worth it, what with it seeming to add a few things to the base game?

Honestly it mostly exists to kick the devs a few extra bucks.

The extra minor race (there's already like 14 of them) and hero don't add that much to the game.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
The Masterplan
Tactical action heist game

I see a deal on this EA game on the Humble store $12.79 (expires in about 3 hours).
http://store.steampowered.com/app/313080/

Looks a lot like Monaco, but it's EA, so....

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Democracy 3 is pretty fun. You're not going to get hundreds of hours out of it like EU or CK but you can get 5-10 easily. It's not a super deep game but if you're into politics you'll probably enjoy it.

Basically the gameplay is you adjusting funding on a bunch of different policies, while trying to juggle keeping different constituencies happy enough to reelect you. You can also introduce new policies or cancel some existing ones. Policies are carried out by your cabinet, who generate political capitol for you. This capitol is used to change policy. There are a ton of different factors but there's a good tutorial and everything has explanatory popup text if you hover over it, so you can see what effects what and cross reference easily.

My biggest complaint is that there aren't very many different starting scenarios, you can only play as 6 countries (germany, uk, france, usa, canada, australia). Once you figure out the path to victory it works for pretty much all of them with minor variations. It would have been more interesting if you could start with some super hosed up economies or really radical and divided constituencies. Still, it's definitely worth $5

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

What's a better crewed-ship RPG sandbox: Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag or Starpoint: Gemini?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

C'mon Steam, give me Crusader Kings II Complete pack for $5.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Away all Goats posted:

What's a better crewed-ship RPG sandbox: Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag or Starpoint: Gemini?

There's no real crew management in Black Flag. I know gently caress-all about Starpoint Gemeni, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have sea shanties. :pirate:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Saw this elsewhere:

quote:

Anyone looking to get black flag, you can purchase Lara Croft: Temple of Osiris for $17.99 from UPlay and have a choice for a free game.

Some choices include Assassins Creed: Black Flag, Watch_Dogs, and South Park.

So get Black Flag and Lara Croft for 17.99.

South Park and Lara Croft should be Steamworks. Black Flag, not really. Also, game selection doesn't seem equal among regions.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

How does Styx control with mouse and keyboard?

Fine, though I will note I play basically all of the games you shouldn't with KB+M. Most of the control problems in Styx are engine/mechanic inherent, rather than control. Oops, my jump was good but the ledge detection wasn't, RIP.

Orv fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 28, 2014

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Saoshyant posted:

Saw this elsewhere:

South Park and Lara Croft should be Steamworks. Black Flag, not really. Also, game selection doesn't seem equal among regions.

yeah, no kidding
Take a look at the german (eu?) selection:

I was actually interested in Watch_Dogs for that price...

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I asked earlier, but is anyone interested in splitting that two pack of See No Evil, save us both some money/steam credit?

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
Regarding the Uplay BOGO, anyone know how to tell which of the games are steamworks, or will activate on steam?

Orv
May 4, 2011

yegods posted:

Regarding the Uplay BOGO, anyone know how to tell which of the games are steamworks, or will activate on steam?

Anything you buy through Uplay will be exclusively through Uplay.*

*Probably.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Thanks a lot to Pink Freud for Ilamentia. I have no idea what it is but I'll treat it as a tiny bit early birthday gift :v:.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Dr Suntory posted:

[/b]

yeah, no kidding
Take a look at the german (eu?) selection:

I was actually interested in Watch_Dogs for that price...

Watch Dogs honestly isn't that bad if you can get it cheap. The protag is a bit shoddy, and the story isn't very good, but the open world is fun to explore, the side content is well fleshed out, and once the gunplay clicks it works really well. While the hacking isn't NEXT GEN like everyone thought it was going to be, popping grenades on dudes/jamming guns/abusing the worldstate near guys in the middle of a firefight never really gets old.

Oh and the cars all handle like rear end, but whatever the bikes are 100% perfect accurate driving, so just bike everywhere.

The story missions themselves are also pretty fun, outside of a few exceptions. They give you tons of chances to abuse the hacking stuff, which is basically why you are there anyway.

There's also the fact you can unlock every single CTOS zone/tower/half the major missions without ever entering the area. Just find a camera on the outside and use it to hop your way from camera to camera to the computer you were supposed to hack, then hack it. A few require some trickery ( throwing a noisemaker through a third story window so a guard will patrol into that room, allowing you to hop into his personal dash cam long enough to get a visual of the door you need to open ), but that just makes them even more interesting puzzles.

It's just no next gen experience/savior of gaming like everyone hyped it up to be. It's a perfectly fun open world game though.

Tribal Rival
Oct 5, 2008

I am this fiery snail crawling home
I have a few games Id like opinions on before I pull the trigger:

Teleglitch
Outlast
Stardrive
Planetary annihilation

Any input?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

teleglitch is cool. it was free for awhile on humble recently. wouldn't be surprised if someone has an extra key kicking around

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Saoshyant posted:

Saw this elsewhere:

If anyone can confirm the Steamworksability of Croft and South Park, I will let the copy of South Park go cheap.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Just want to chime in and share some love for the new Wolfenstein game. Only played it a few hours so far but it really feels good. It feels bit like Metro with a much dumber story (though self-awarely so). If you can get it for $15-20 and want some more shooting give it a go.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Rookersh posted:

Watch Dogs honestly isn't that bad if you can get it cheap. The protag is a bit shoddy, and the story isn't very good, but the open world is fun to explore, the side content is well fleshed out, and once the gunplay clicks it works really well. While the hacking isn't NEXT GEN like everyone thought it was going to be, popping grenades on dudes/jamming guns/abusing the worldstate near guys in the middle of a firefight never really gets old.

Oh and the cars all handle like rear end, but whatever the bikes are 100% perfect accurate driving, so just bike everywhere.

The story missions themselves are also pretty fun, outside of a few exceptions. They give you tons of chances to abuse the hacking stuff, which is basically why you are there anyway.

There's also the fact you can unlock every single CTOS zone/tower/half the major missions without ever entering the area. Just find a camera on the outside and use it to hop your way from camera to camera to the computer you were supposed to hack, then hack it. A few require some trickery ( throwing a noisemaker through a third story window so a guard will patrol into that room, allowing you to hop into his personal dash cam long enough to get a visual of the door you need to open ), but that just makes them even more interesting puzzles.

It's just no next gen experience/savior of gaming like everyone hyped it up to be. It's a perfectly fun open world game though.

Nice post. Great summary of the game. It's decent, but missed the next gen amazing gameplay that was hyped. I really liked it, but yeah, get on the cheap, and set your expectations

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
How is Grim Dawn? I love Titan Quest and I noticed it had a bunch of the same developers but I see it's been in early access for a while. Is the game, in its current state, pretty fun?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Rookersh posted:

Can ANYONE else say anything good about Watch_Dogs? I'm a sucker for open world games, and I have a tolerance for most mediocre games as long as combat and/or movement is fun or tolerable. Snatching Watch_Dogs for under 20 is really tempting.

ArkOfTurus
Apr 23, 2008

Awesome! posted:

teleglitch is cool. it was free for awhile on humble recently. wouldn't be surprised if someone has an extra key kicking around

Looks like the key has expired, unfortunately.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

If I loved Shining Force, FFT, and Tactics Ogre, is the Banner Saga worth buying for 5bux? I know it's got the issues, but if the combat system is deep and fun, I'd be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Splits posted:

I have a few games Id like opinions on before I pull the trigger:

Teleglitch
Outlast
Stardrive
Planetary annihilation

Any input?

Outlast is supposed to be a decent amnesia-esqe horror game with more jump scares

• Locked thread