Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
That was a good-rear end Rohan story.

Also:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Welcome to Morioh Grand Hotel gym, we keep the treadmills that go up to 25 km/h on the 8th floor, right next to the floor-to-ceiling glass windows

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Dragonwagon posted:

Not sure how this works out for them.

As noted in the post, Jonathan is a top

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Goddamn that escalated quickly

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I just finished The Book/Another Day. It's rather dark in ways that I wouldn't have expected from a Diamond Is Unbreakable sequel; it felt more like an old-school Nasuverse story.

The focus is on an interesting new anti-hero character, which works well because the Part 4 protagonists make for scary antagonists from the perspective of someone like him. Although the story is mostly mystery-oriented, we get a couple good Stand fights out of it. I'm tempted to complain that The Hand should be fast enough that a guy with knives shouldn't give it any trouble, but the speed at which Stands move has never been particularly consistent anyway.

It also touches on the infamous "did Josuke go back in time to save himself" argument, which is sort-of resolved by Josuke deciding he doesn't care who the guy who saved him really was because the version of the guy in his mind is what really matters.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

tbh I really hope we get a follow up to this Rohan story it was rad, A+ jojo right there

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Silver2195 posted:

I just finished The Book/Another Day.

:3: I'm glad to see you read it. I helped edit it a little bit after it was translated and it's a great little story. I thought the stand fights were really well written though yeah, the hand does move a little faster than you'd think. But oku's part was nice.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

I helped edit it a little bit after it was translated

There's a few typos you missed, lol.

That aside, the translation was pretty good.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 28, 2018

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Oh I'm sure i missed dozens. I had to edit sooo fast.

But now that you've mentioned it, I'm tempted to go in and run another edit on my own time to have him put up. Thanks!

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 28, 2018

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
this cover is so good

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's how I'd do make up to people if I was a MUA.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

My metacarpals are crushed to bits
It'll take 4 weeks.

hmm anime healing... the strongest force???

also this dude is just a not cool ringo (visually)
ringo is so good.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 28, 2018

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Did we just have a low-grade Baki crossover into our Jojos?

Expect My Mom posted:

Not sure how I feel about that Valentine color palette, but I love the Johnny

Johnny's letting the voice of love take him higher :allears:

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 28, 2018

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
So what's the difference between being possessed by the god of muscle and just having a really weird Stand?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Wings on your calves

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

New Rohan was rad, The Book sounds rad. Has anybody read Over Heaven, the nisiosin jojo novel?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Pootybutt posted:

New Rohan was rad, The Book sounds rad. Has anybody read Over Heaven, the nisiosin jojo novel?

Yes. It's OK.

It's Dio's diary during Part 3. I like the way it makes sense of Dio's non-entirely-consistent characterization in the manga, and how it explains some odd plot points from Parts 3 and 6. On the other hand, it can be accused with some justice of being a clip show in text form; there's no new Stand fights or anything.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Pootybutt posted:

1) Yes and it's not....great.

2) How the hell did I miss that it was written by Nisioisin??

There were some bits that were fine, like DIO going into some weird, Time Cube-esque explanation about why he needs that many souls to power his Stand transformation, or when he almost reaches the point where he realizes that he's an actual cartoon villain for children but then dismisses it, but him admitting that actually he respected his father over his mother because something something I forget is a baaaaaaaad take, and then most of it is giving a play by play what happened with DIO so far and that's kind of boring, and this is more of a personal gripe, but it's supposed to be a journal, but not written like how anyone would actually write...in a journal. It's weird!

Anyways, this Rohan story is great! Interesting to see him run into an actual god and have him be shaken up by it.

Loved the....delicate attention to anatomy....as well. :allears:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

BaDandy posted:

but him admitting that actually he respected his father over his mother because something something I forget is a baaaaaaaad take

People in this thread misunderstand this. He reflects that when he was very young, he admired his father for reasons that he came to realize were foolish. The manga doesn't contradict this.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Rohan actually being humbled by something is very good

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Silver2195 posted:

People in this thread misunderstand this. He reflects that when he was very young, he admired his father for reasons that he came to realize were foolish. The manga doesn't contradict this.

I guess that's fair, and people should still read it if they're curious, but what more broke my suspension of disbelief is how it was written. I totally would have been down for a "research journal", like a bunch of esoteric facts and nonsense about how achieving "Heaven" would work. Like a blend of physics and Carl Jung-style psychology and occult and Egyptian and Greek alchemical knowledge that would make noooo goddamn sense to anyone else but him and maybe Pucci. Which would have totally been in Nisioisin's wheelhouse!

Also having the Secret Words be from a lullaby his mother sang him is dumb and stupid, yes even by JoJo standards. :v:

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

"At the rate I'm going, I really doubt I'm going to heaven." lmao

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS0YtcWDXFI

Peep this scrub

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I made this post in the other thread only to realize that the other thread was the wrong thread.

So now it's here, in the right thread!

hoobajoo posted:

Could you elaborate on this? Because the JoJo part with the "They can't catch us if all the cars are frogs" plan is not one I would say lacks in creativity.

The powers are imaginative, the battles are imaginative, it's just the plot that's basic.

Giogio wants to be a gangster because he associates the mafia with honor and loyalty, is dismayed to learn they do bad things for money, and resolves to fix it from the top.
He's able to join, helps his local gain come to prominence, and when they're given a job too objectionable to complete, he instigates a gang war that resolves with him at the top.

It's a good story told well! It's also one of the most straight forward plots of any of the Jojos.

There is the whole thing with the stand arrow, but it's both too little too late, and not nearly enough. It's prominence at the end weakens Diavolo's motivation, and whatever being worthy of an awakened stand entails is besides the point -- the story is far more interested, thematically, with the relationships children have with adults and how that contributes to their finding surrogate families as adolescents. (The back stories for the different characters are the most interesting part of the manga for this very reason.)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

I made this post in the other thread only to realize that the other thread was the wrong thread.

So now it's here, in the right thread!

The powers are imaginative, the battles are imaginative, it's just the plot that's basic.

Giogio wants to be a gangster because he associates the mafia with honor and loyalty, is dismayed to learn they do bad things for money, and resolves to fix it from the top.
He's able to join, helps his local gain come to prominence, and when they're given a job too objectionable to complete, he instigates a gang war that resolves with him at the top.

It's a good story told well! It's also one of the most straight forward plots of any of the Jojos.

There is the whole thing with the stand arrow, but it's both too little too late, and not nearly enough. It's prominence at the end weakens Diavolo's motivation, and whatever being worthy of an awakened stand entails is besides the point -- the story is far more interested, thematically, with the relationships children have with adults and how that contributes to their finding surrogate families as adolescents. (The back stories for the different characters are the most interesting part of the manga for this very reason.)

It's more complicated than Part 3's plot, at least.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
and Part 4

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Most jojo parts outside of 6 (due to the obtuseness of the ritual) and 8 (because it's part 8) have simple story outlines. 4's story is slightly more complex than the rest but not as complex at 6 or 8's.

1. Two brothers fight, one becomes a vampire and the other learns to fight vampires
2. Man learns to fight double vampires
3. Journey to Egypt to stop the man who is making Jotaro's mom ill
4. Recover the arrows and stop the people who were created by or otherwise have been using the arrows to cause havoc.
5. Find the boss, kill the boss, take over his position in the mafia
6. Find out where Jotaro's discs are, recover them and send them out, figure out the mystery of the green baby, escape from prison, stop pucci from finishing the ritual to achieve heaven
7. Race across America while obtaining the pieces of the corpse parts and keeping them away from the president because he plans to use them for nefarious purposes
8. Find out who the main Jojo even is, how he became that way, how people are getting stands, what is causing the curse, how to stop the curse, how to stop the rock people from causing problems, rescue Holly from illness through recovering the special fruit hybrid rokakaka that does the whole equivalent exchange thing, figure out what that one symbol means, find out what Norisuke's ex-wife wants, figure out the deal with the walleyes, and a whole bunch of other things that may or may not actually get solutions

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Silver2195 posted:

It's more complicated than Part 3's plot, at least.

I'm not saying it's less complicated, I'm saying it's less imaginative. Part 3 is the part of Bram Stoker's Dracula where Van Helsing and crew go to Transylvania to finish him off except also 80 Days Around the World except also the Monster Squad but as adults except also all the monsters from all of Araki's favorite horror movies come in with everything for a HUGE party.

I don't say this as a measure of quality. Part 5 is almost certainly the better story. It just lacks a certain strangeness that I prefer in my Jojos.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Part 5 has a civil war between the Italian Mafioso, where on one side the leader is a fifteen year son of a vampire and the other is a powerful femboy whose circumstances of birth are literally impossible

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://mynintendonews.com/2018/03/08/rumour-soft-circle-french-bread-apparently-working-on-jojos-bizarre-adventure-fighting-game/

:thunk:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Ladies love a vascular man, Brian

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Schwarzwald posted:

let me let you in on a little secret: caring about plot is bad

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

This sounds so fake but I want it to be real :allears:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Using bleach and heat to cure the bends with pure oxygen mid-fight has to be the best "overly complex tactic thought up entirely on the spot" in JoJo's history.

man that is clearly some random-rear end trivia araki read somewhere and based the fight entirely around just so he could pull it out of his rear end and share it with everyone

AKA it was some A+ jojo

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the walleyes are 100% either not going to be explained or it'll be a throwaway at the end

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I forget, was that one little symbol ever explained? The one that got Josuke to investigate the family tree?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The Higashikata family seal? Or was there another one? I can’t remember, and neither does Araki.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

The Higashikata family seal? Or was there another one? I can’t remember, and neither does Araki.

It was the family seal I guess? I dunno, I remember there being something major about it early on but then all that happened was it got Josuke to check out a family tree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

That’s pretty much the extent of my memory about it too. Man, I’m really enjoying Jojolion, but it’s kinda a mess. I hope part 9 is closer to SBR.