Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Theranos is closing down. At least 1 billion in investments lost.

:hellyeah:

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Wonder how much Siemens paid to get their hands on the upgrades Theranos made on their equipment. Across Germany R&D departments are probably working around the clock to unravel the secrets.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Synthbuttrange posted:

Elon please keep tweeting

New thread title.

Bates posted:

Wonder how much Siemens paid to get their hands on the upgrades Theranos made on their equipment. Across Germany R&D departments are probably working around the clock to unravel the secrets.

The secret was in their hearts all along.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Marijuana posted:

You're right! Capital is is freakin shook.

Hey guess who is back as part of WNYC and is now union-organized:
http://gothamist.com/2018/04/26/gothamist_self_aware_jday.php

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
NotSoEvernote

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I'm the multi-billion $ note-taking application.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Hey guess who is back as part of WNYC and is now union-organized:
http://gothamist.com/2018/04/26/gothamist_self_aware_jday.php

The first paragraph is enough to make me wish they stayed dead.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

CNN link

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Can't wait for the movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Holmes posted:

In May 2018 author John Carreyrou released his book Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup. A movie based on the book is in development with Jennifer Lawrence in the role of Holmes and to be directed by Adam McKay.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I would have lost their money for half that.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1037249325464600578?s=21
Lmao

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

oh my god lmao

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is it possible for an investor's board to have a gag order on their CEO?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

plot twist: the cave rescuer does turn out to be a huge pedophile

im just kidding, calm the gently caress down

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Get this, Tesla 'sold' over 15k Mod. 3's in August.

A record for plug-in cars.

If they would just tie Musk to a chair ala Clockwork Orange and make him watch "how to behave" films.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

VideoGameVet posted:

Get this, Tesla 'sold' over 15k Mod. 3's in August.

A record for plug-in cars.

If they would just tie Musk to a chair ala Clockwork Orange and make him watch "how to behave" films.

It's not just Musk embarrassing himself, the company itself is also obviously a disaster, with constant reports of cars falling apart or people receiving vehicles with all sorts of hilariously terrible problems (or not receiving them at all).

It's a situation sorta like Theranos where it seems like everyone who questioned Musk's various terrible decisions was fired (or chose to leave), leaving nothing but a bunch of Musk cultists who will follow his every word, no matter how stupid.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

It's not just Musk embarrassing himself, the company itself is also obviously a disaster, with constant reports of cars falling apart or people receiving vehicles with all sorts of hilariously terrible problems (or not receiving them at all).

It's a situation sorta like Theranos where it seems like everyone who questioned Musk's various terrible decisions was fired (or chose to leave), leaving nothing but a bunch of Musk cultists who will follow his every word, no matter how stupid.

This is a dumb comparison. Theranos never had a working product. They couldn't even do the basic stuff they fell back on after their fantasy groundbreaking machine failed to materialize. But they lied about it by faking experiments and falsifying test results, and spent most of their time trying to contain stories.

Model 3s have quality problems, but that's because Tesla is struggling to scale production, not because what they are trying to do is impossible. If/when the board fires Musk and hires a competent CEO who has manufacturing experience, things will get back on track.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

enraged_camel posted:

Model 3s have quality problems, but that's because Tesla is struggling to scale production, not because what they are trying to do is impossible. If/when the board fires Musk and hires a competent CEO who has manufacturing experience, things will get back on track.

It's because it's a moronic car design from top to bottom that is impossible to build correctly. Much like Elon Musk ideas in general.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

fishmech posted:

It's because it's a moronic car design from top to bottom that is impossible to build correctly. Much like Elon Musk ideas in general.

What design flaws does it have that is preventing Tesla from switching to automated manufacturing?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

enraged_camel posted:

What design flaws does it have that is preventing Tesla from switching to automated manufacturing?

The more they automate the more flaws the cars have?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

enraged_camel posted:

the owner is headbutting cars going down the assembly line

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

the owner is headbutting cars going down the assembly line

yea that was pretty drat funny

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

I can't find any other threads talking about this subject, and this place seems like the closest thread to cover the subject.

I listened to a portion of the recent house hearing that questioned the CEO of Twitter. It's interesting that this conversation is finally happening. The government is finally interested in learning and potentially holding companies accountable for the data they collect, study, sell, etc. For Twitter they discussed targeting their users with content suggestions and ads, policing their user base content, and how they attempt to make this a transparent process to the user.

The conversation goal in the hearing seems to be trying to focus on understanding the problem and additionally the impact or extent of the damage. I was wondering if anyone had any good insights they would like to share.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

enraged_camel posted:

All of it. Have you missed that?

They outright announced, months before "production" started, that they were going to skip key prototyping steps:
https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-is-making-manufacturing-mistake-with-model-3-2017-5
https://www.newsweek.com/tesla-skips-traditional-manufacturing-steps-model-3-588503

This choice is explicitly why they've failed to bring up functional production, unlike the Model S and X.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
Urbanize LA has posted a thorough analysis of how The Boring Company's proposed Dodger Stadium solution doesn't work. Enjoy!

https://urbanize.la/post/elon-musks-solution-dodger-stadium-traffic-full-holes

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Anza Borrego posted:

Urbanize LA has posted a thorough analysis of how The Boring Company's proposed Dodger Stadium solution doesn't work. Enjoy!

Wait, holy poo poo, he wanted one of the terminus spots to be on VERMONT?

:lol:

Yea ok dude, have fun trying to buy out the Walgreens or the Jack in the Box on 6th to fuel your dumb tiny trainholes.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

FilthyImp posted:

Wait, holy poo poo, he wanted one of the terminus spots to be on VERMONT?

:lol:

Yea ok dude, have fun trying to buy out the Walgreens or the Jack in the Box on 6th to fuel your dumb tiny trainholes.

I think my favorite part is that it will handle 2% of the capacity :allears:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Anza Borrego posted:

I'm pretty sure Musk's car is less than 2% of total road capacity around there so I don't see why that'd be a problem???

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Anza Borrego posted:

Some interesting comparisons for that:
- The single train line that services Giants Stadium in NJ is capable of handling 1/8 of the capacity of Giants Stadium per hour, and usually operates for time periods around major events at the complex sufficient to move 1/2 of the stadium.
- The subway and commuter rail stations on the sides of Yankee Stadium are sufficient to move the whole stadium capacity within about an hour of a game starting, and then later to remove them within about an hour of the end of a game
- The single subway line that reaches to the complex of sports stadiums in South Philly can move about half the capacity of the football stadium, or 2/3 the capacity of the baseball stadium (roughly) within a few hours of a game starting and ending

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Anza Borrego posted:

My favorite part about articles like this is not that they involve some tech-lord who tries to solve a social problem (usually a society abandoning its poorer citizens) with a technical solution, but that their grandiose claims end up being flatly wrong on the technical/budgetary merits. Its hard to be wrong twice in one statement, but man are these guys trying to shoot the moon.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Ytlaya posted:

Maybe so, but they (somehow) have the highest customer satisfaction numbers of any automaker (re: Consumer Reports).

I agree that this is no way (Model 3) to build a car, but I've talked to owners and they love their new Model 3's.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

VideoGameVet posted:

Maybe so, but they (somehow) have the highest customer satisfaction numbers of any automaker (re: Consumer Reports).

I agree that this is no way (Model 3) to build a car, but I've talked to owners and they love their new Model 3's.

I suspect this is similar to apple fans who think that stebe timb presenting yet another objectively ok ipone iteration is just as revolutionary (in terms of bringing features together in a package that consumers want to buy, not just thinking of the features and implementing them in a brick that only other engineers could love, you nerds) as the first or second iphone.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

This is a dumb comparison. Theranos never had a working product. They couldn't even do the basic stuff they fell back on after their fantasy groundbreaking machine failed to materialize. But they lied about it by faking experiments and falsifying test results, and spent most of their time trying to contain stories.

Since it seems like your reading comprehension is lacking, the comparison was specifically referring to the tendency to fire (or otherwise push out) anyone who questioned the bad decisions of the CEO/leadership. Musk apparently does not usually react well to engineers disagreeing with him, which likely resulted in the company self-selecting for Musk cultists over time

edit: It also seems very likely that Tesla shares Theranos's "attacked employees who tried to release damning information" situation, given the whole thing with Elon calling the cops on the whistle-blower who reported the punctured batteries, among other things.

VideoGameVet posted:

This is because Tesla buyers are likely to be Tesla fans (or fans of Tesla's "vision") even before they buy the cars, plus the fact that it's difficult to admit to yourself that maybe you hosed up and wasted over $50k on a bad car (and from what I've heard, a disproportionate percent of people who normally couldn't afford such an expensive car are buying Model 3's, which means there's even more incentive to convince yourself that it was worth it).

The same logic likely applies to most products that have a strong "culture" around them (and a high percentage of purchasers who are a part of that "culture").

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/hdevalence/status/1037751014458195968

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
If you have a Tesla Model 3 now you almost certainly slapped down $1000 or more to reserve it as early as 2 years before it was out and before most of the details of its design were even known. And you didn't take the opportunity on the way to ask for a refund to wait until it was out and see what it was like. And you either from the start ordered a higher price model or upgraded your order to one in order to even have it as they have yet to fulfill orders for the base model.

There's a lot of steps in there that would wean out like, the kind of people who aren't literally invested in Tesla.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

They're never going to release the base model. I would bet money on it.

Edit: Okay, I'll amend this; they'll never release the base model with Musk as CEO.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

SardonicTyrant posted:

They're never going to release the base model. I would bet money on it.

Edit: Okay, I'll amend this; they'll never release the base model with Musk as CEO.

No business case for doing so. They can’t keep up with orders as it is.

Nissan ships the 60kwh leaf this fall I believe. I wonder if the people who wanted a base model 3 will just buy that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

VideoGameVet posted:

No business case for doing so. They can’t keep up with orders as it is.

Nissan ships the 60kwh leaf this fall I believe. I wonder if the people who wanted a base model 3 will just buy that.

The Chevy Bolt is already the thing the Tesla Model 3 was advertised as, beats it in range, and is actually available for the originally stated price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Theranos is basically the modern equivalent of that episode of The Dollop podcast where some conman kept selling wooden boxes to people claiming they were super advanced counterfeiting machines that could print fake money that would fool the authorities.

Except imagine if that guy got billions in VC money.