Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Moffat's better for certain things. He's much better at building up to a season climax in Doctor Who, especially compared to Davies, who would just occasionally provide lip service to something that won't make sense until the 2 part finally. The cracks are an important part of season 5 that affect the Doctor's journeys and, while there's still questions, the cracks themselves are wrapped up within the season (until Moffat retcons them 2 seasons later in one of the worst episodes that weren't outright offensive).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Wow, a loving boomerang?

Ideas on how to make that work: have a person with a slit throat in a room locked from the inside, no murder weapon, two broken windows on opposite sides of the room but neither big enough for a person to get through. Also Captain Boomerang did it and it's a crossover epiaode with The Flash.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jun 1, 2017

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

sexpig by night posted:

Haha wait did BBC only content claim the fuckin Jekyll bits? Please tell me in a video about you ripping into Dr Who and Sherlock their issue was 'wait...DID SOMEONE USE A CLIP FROM FAMOUS WET FART JEKYLL?"

Almost every clip that lasted longer than twenty seconds was caught, and once I uploaded a version with ALL the offending clips altered, it suddenly took offense to a dozen new ones which were fine before.
In the end I discovered that, if you take the time to fully contest every individual claim, youtube apparently acknowledges (for the time being) that the entire video may well be fair use, and lets it stay up until the copyright holder responds. Which is an improvement on my previous assumption, which was that the video would be down until the bbc deigned to respond.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Hbomberguy posted:

Almost every clip that lasted longer than twenty seconds was caught, and once I uploaded a version with ALL the offending clips altered, it suddenly took offense to a dozen new ones which were fine before.
In the end I discovered that, if you take the time to fully contest every individual claim, youtube apparently acknowledges (for the time being) that the entire video may well be fair use, and lets it stay up until the copyright holder responds. Which is an improvement on my previous assumption, which was that the video would be down until the bbc deigned to respond.

Didn't Jim Sterling show that if you use clips from multiple sources competing copyright claims cancel each other out?

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Sterling's method prevents Nintendo, but also you or anyone else, from monetisation, but as for copyright claims I don't think it works that way. If I put some spongebob in there it wouldn't mean the video gets to stay up because I stole from more people.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
That was a good video, it highlighted how lacking BBC Sherlock stories are in the human element when the overarching plot, hyperfocus on Holmes, and overwritten scripts distract from it.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Hbomberguy posted:

Sterling's method prevents Nintendo, but also you or anyone else, from monetisation, but as for copyright claims I don't think it works that way. If I put some spongebob in there it wouldn't mean the video gets to stay up because I stole from more people.

Yeah, this is the key.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

That video was a wild ride for me. I only ever watched the first two episodes of Sherlock and thought they were okay despite their nonsense mysteries. As a result, I always thought it was strange to see the vigor with which people tend to trash the show. Having seen Hbomb's video, I finally understand.

I'm shocked by what an utter descent into middling madness Sherlock is. :stonkhat:

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Define 'car crash'. I dropped out relatively early, and now I'm morbidly curious.
hbomberguy covers it pretty well (focusing on Holmes over the mysteries, over-producing things to the point of self indulgence, Holmes becoming a superhero etc) but for all its faults I never found it boring. Even the shows obsession with Moriarty is endearing to me because its so much fun watching Andrew Scott chewing scenery.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I love the absurdity of sterling's copyright deadlock method, the only way to get back to ad-free fair use is to completely flagrantly abuse copyright laws and the system youtube uses, likely clearly nobody loving benefits from this bullshit

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
every time hbomb went back to that boomerang, it made me think of ashens' "loving inflatable loving crown"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I think that video really nailed that the biggest issue it has is Moffat genuinely seeming to believe the old Holmes stories were somehow beneath him and/or the audience. I forgot how great those old Holmes movies were. Hell, even the Robert Downey Jr couple of movies are solid 'Sherlock Holmes, but with more fist fights' movies because despite the increased...I wanna say there's a scene with a gattling gun...moments there's still a core that's based around 'hey remember Sherlock Holmes stories? Here's a fun mystery based around there where Sherlock has to use information around him to find the answer.'

Also if I remember right they 100% do the whole 'sherlock sees the features of someone pop up in words around him' bit better with it being a more 'flowing' thing where it's like a fist fight scene where more information about the other guy gradually comes in as he...ya know...observes him fighting.

I should rewatch those movies.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Where did the boomerang come from?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Andrew Verse posted:

Where did the boomerang come from?

The guy threw it himself, it was an accident which had nothing to do with anything.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

The guy threw it himself, it was an accident which had nothing to do with anything.

Probably should've guessed that.

Although, unless I blinked at the wrong time, Hbomb didn't include footage of him throwing it. Plenty of him getting hit by it.

edit; Wait, wait, wait... did the show not show him throwing anything? Is that what makes it extra terrible?

Andrew Verse fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 1, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Andrew Verse posted:

Probably should've guessed that.

Although, unless I blinked at the wrong time, Hbomb didn't include footage of him throwing it. Plenty of him getting hit by it.

edit; Wait, wait, wait... did the show not show him throwing anything? Is that what makes it extra terrible?

If I'm not misremembering both the boomerang and the fact that he was out there throwing boomerangs weren't actually put on screen until Sherlock explains it.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

If I'm not misremembering both the boomerang and the fact that he was out there throwing boomerangs weren't actually put on screen until Sherlock explains it.

I was hoping it was from Australia and had somehow managed to ride on various winds and storms until it reached the UK.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Andrew Verse posted:

I was hoping it was from Australia and had somehow managed to ride on various winds and storms until it reached the UK.

It would have made just as much sense.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Generic aspects aside, I'd easily pick ELEMENTARY over SHERLOCK. First and foremost it treats Holmes as an actual human being. It doesn't forgive him everything because he's a genius (Moffat loves the idea that you should forgive someone their transgressions because being lovely is also part of being brilliant) and more often than not he's made to confront the fact that his actions have real consequences. Making him a recovering addict is part of that.

The best thing for me is that it puts Holmes and Watson on a much more even keel as characters and I buy their friendship much more than I do in the BBC show. And the way they treat their Moriarty trumps any clever bullshit the BBC trotted out.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Elementary has my favorite Moriarty and also my favorite Irene of the adaptations I've seen.

I wasn't huge on Mycroft, though. The Kitty arc was the highlight of the show though.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
Really to me the biggest bombshell was the nepotism in the bbc. I had always wondered why Sherlock had such a seemingly huge budget, I had assumed it was just because Moffat was respected and they really wanted to make something really great. Turns out his wife and mother in law produced it so he can blow a bunch of money on an insanely tricky 3d shot of a wedding.

I feel bad for all the talent at the BBC that could have been funded with the money that went into Sherlock.

Also it the background of Moffat in dr who etc was really interesting. I finally found a way to be interested in Dr Who, and that's listening to Hbomb talk about it :V

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
when sherlock aired in korea the trailers explicitly pitched it as a forbidden romance story between sherlock and watson, its pretty dope:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=murI8Hrlpck&hd=1

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

cosmically_cosmic posted:

Really to me the biggest bombshell was the nepotism in the bbc. I had always wondered why Sherlock had such a seemingly huge budget, I had assumed it was just because Moffat was respected and they really wanted to make something really great. Turns out his wife and mother in law produced it so he can blow a bunch of money on an insanely tricky 3d shot of a wedding.

I feel bad for all the talent at the BBC that could have been funded with the money that went into Sherlock.

Also it the background of Moffat in dr who etc was really interesting. I finally found a way to be interested in Dr Who, and that's listening to Hbomb talk about it :V

I know a few people who work for the BBC and one of the biggest gripes is how much money is handed over to Moffat for his projects (And to me they so rarely look as good as they should) before they tell everyone else there's no money for them to make their thing.

Also, TABOO with Tom Hardy was a nightmare of a production for them, but that's a different story.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Motto posted:

Hbomb's sherlock video is back for the moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkoGBOs5ecM

This was really good.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

DrVenkman posted:

I know a few people who work for the BBC and one of the biggest gripes is how much money is handed over to Moffat for his projects (And to me they so rarely look as good as they should) before they tell everyone else there's no money for them to make their thing.

Also, TABOO with Tom Hardy was a nightmare of a production for them, but that's a different story.

Taboo was actually good though.

Imagine working on a really horrendus shoot for season 4 of Sherlock, THAT'S a nightmare you never wake up from. At least the guys and girls who suffered to make Taboo have a product they can show other people and not be embarassed about.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Really to me the biggest bombshell was the nepotism in the bbc. I had always wondered why Sherlock had such a seemingly huge budget, I had assumed it was just because Moffat was respected and they really wanted to make something really great.

Same here. I was actually kind of surprised by how little Hbomb talked about the nepotism angle considering how absurd it is. Can't blame him though, what with the video being nearly two hours long already. Maybe it's one of the things that hit the cutting room floor.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Taboo was actually good though.

Imagine working on a really horrendus shoot for season 4 of Sherlock, THAT'S a nightmare you never wake up from. At least the guys and girls who suffered to make Taboo have a product they can show other people and not be embarassed about.

I suppose that depends on how you feel about TABOO. One person I know was legit happy to just get off it as soon as they could because it was such a toxic environment (A lot of it was Tom Hardy and his Dad Vs Everyone Else). Other people just seem used to it though and tend to treat these things just like any other job.

I also heard a story about how, when the first season of TORCHWOOD was being made, some unfortunate makeup girl had to spend the morning spray painting abs onto John Barrowman. That has nothing to do with anything, it's just one of my favourite dumb BBC stories.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah my brother has said a couple of times that he finds it a bit frustrating that every season of Dr Who seems to get less and less money filtering down.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
KKall:

So last night, to wind down for the evening, I made myself a nice cup of tea, and sat down to watch a good, high-brow video on Shakespeare.

There I was, watching your video, sipping tea. All very upper class and proper.

And then...

And of course it happened mid-sip. The joke landed perfectly-- just a smash cut to a nut-shot with SHAKESPEARE!!!! overlaid. And I laughed. Hard. And as you can imagine, when trying to make a sound with one's mouth whilst also having liquid in it--

So yes, your high-brow video using a low-brow nut-shot joke elicited a perfectly timed low-brow spit take.

A+. Good work.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

bessantj posted:

Yeah my brother has said a couple of times that he finds it a bit frustrating that every season of Dr Who seems to get less and less money filtering down.

As it should. Turning Dr Who into big budget epic spectacle takes away some its charm. The Tom baker run will always be best because the writing was (mostly) really good, silly zero budget sets be damned.
The best episode of the show in recent years was the space orient express episode, and you could have done that whole thing on a fraction of the budget if you wanted to

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

As it should. Turning Dr Who into big budget epic spectacle takes away some its charm. The Tom baker run will always be best because the writing was (mostly) really good, silly zero budget sets be damned.
The best episode of the show in recent years was the space orient express episode, and you could have done that whole thing on a fraction of the budget if you wanted to

I don't know if wanting some basic equipment for painting or making a prop turns something into a big budget spectacle but you may well know more about making a show than I do.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

sexpig by night posted:

I think that video really nailed that the biggest issue it has is Moffat genuinely seeming to believe the old Holmes stories were somehow beneath him and/or the audience. I forgot how great those old Holmes movies were. Hell, even the Robert Downey Jr couple of movies are solid 'Sherlock Holmes, but with more fist fights' movies because despite the increased...I wanna say there's a scene with a gattling gun...moments there's still a core that's based around 'hey remember Sherlock Holmes stories? Here's a fun mystery based around there where Sherlock has to use information around him to find the answer.'

Also if I remember right they 100% do the whole 'sherlock sees the features of someone pop up in words around him' bit better with it being a more 'flowing' thing where it's like a fist fight scene where more information about the other guy gradually comes in as he...ya know...observes him fighting.

I should rewatch those movies.

I'm glad Guy Ritchie killed his ego so he could make those movies.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Andrew Verse posted:

The best part about the boomerang, and this should be apparent from just the clips, is that it's sitting not 20 feet away, covered in blood, at the edge of a puddle meaning that in the show's fiction no one bothered to even do a cursory sweep of the immediate area around the body for evidence.

It's like they wanted to do Ice Bullet but went "nah, the audience will guess that one, what won't they guess?"

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Moffat is just a very frustrating writer, because you know hes got it in him to write something amazing but hes just gotten lazier as hes gotten older.

I mean it wasn't that long ago that he wrote Day of the Doctor which I think is absolutely stunning and managed not to fall into brazen self indulgence given that its a 50th anniversary special, so hes still got it in him. Matt Smiths final speech is a beautiful piece of writing too.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

FoldableHuman posted:

The best part about the boomerang, and this should be apparent from just the clips, is that it's sitting not 20 feet away, covered in blood, at the edge of a puddle meaning that in the show's fiction no one bothered to even do a cursory sweep of the immediate area around the body for evidence.

It's like they wanted to do Ice Bullet but went "nah, the audience will guess that one, what won't they guess?"

So the Sherlock writers expect me to believe that a man went out to a big open field to throw a boomerang. Okay, onboard so far, a big open place is a good place for boomerang throwin', but after throwing said boomerang he stood there as it came back toward him (you know, that thing boomerangs are famous for doing) and didn't try to duck out of the way or catch it or even guard his head from being struck by a fast moving heavy object?

Like, how big an idiot do you have to be? Who dies like this? It's dumber than most Darwin Award entries.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
I sometimes wonder if the dark part of The Doctor is one of two things:

1) Moffat wanting to bring back The Valeyard, and being rejected.

2) An over-correction from Davies. Davies had an issue I disliked during Tennat's run, which is Davies Deified the Doctor. The Doctor was the high authority, and in the show, it was hardly questioned. A few times it was brought up (The Master's rise to power in season 3 was a result of the Doctor being arrogant as poo poo, and was mentioned in a cut scene in the finale), but I feel it was wasted potential. I think the issue with New Doctor Who is you have fanboys writing the series, so the Doctor takes center stage in the universe, instead of a British sci-fi version of Jack Burton (or what Carpenter wanted Burton to be).

I agree Davies is a better Showrunner than Moffatt (who it seems cannot handle a budget to save his life), but to be honest, I think shows like Doctor Who need to go back to how it was, a script editor and a producer.

As far as Sherlock, I liked the first two seasons fine, I think if it had ended there it would have been good, but season 3 was meh and season 4 was awful.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Watched up to the third part (about 30 minutes in) of the Sherlock video, it's quite good stuff. I haven't actually watched Sherlock but a lot of these problems seem pretty familiar when it comes to big-budget TV shows. The over-romanticization of the main protagonist, the vicious cycle of constant character-establishing moments that never stop happening so that they can move on to actual development and storytelling, the hyper-focus on the slow-moving serialized plot at the expense of individual episode plots. It makes me wonder if putting the blame squarely on Moffat is really all that fair, because these seem to be problems that come with the territory of a huge vehicle with tons of money being put into it and an overabundance of oversight. I don't think it's really possible for shows like these to really be the product of an individual, they're meant to make money and go on as long as possible, not tell an interesting story.

What's funny is the more I think about it, Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes was actually pretty drat good. At least the first one, the second one got pretty ridiculous with the action scenes.

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 1, 2017

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Gotta be honest HBomb is in the same category for me as guys like Joseph Anderson or Caldwell-Gervais or the like where I typically open the video and look at the length and then close the video again

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Insurrectionist posted:

Gotta be honest HBomb is in the same category for me as guys like Joseph Anderson or Caldwell-Gervais or the like where I typically open the video and look at the length and then close the video again

You're really missing out. I can understand if you're just a busy person, but those long videos are extremely well done for the most part and can get into a level of detail not possibly with short form content.

Speaking of my man Joseph Anderson he just posted this (ironically, a shorter video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhQ66CozrgY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I've watched one or two mega-long video (obviously they all do shorter videos too which are fine) from all of them that have been of special interest to me, like NCG's Starcraft retrospective or HBomb's Bloodborne raving, and that I found okay. And even then I think the ones I finished could and should have been way shorter. Whenever I've tried watching one of those long-rear end videos where I haven't had any real knowledge of or investment in the topic, on the other hand, not so good.

E: Though at least HBomb has jokes and somewhat energetic voice, the other two are also dry as hell

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 1, 2017

• Locked thread