Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Some people are salty that others think discord blows. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Skoll posted:

Some people are salty that others think discord blows. :allears:

I just want new people to know where to go if they want to play with other people. Discord is where the people are now, mumble is dead. I am sorry if this upsets you.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

TjyvTompa posted:

I just want new people to know where to go if they want to play with other people. Discord is where the people are now, mumble is dead. I am sorry if this upsets you.

skoll hates change almost as much as he hates black people

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TjyvTompa posted:

It doesn't. I just like instigating and triggering retards like Cease. Carry on, goon sir.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
(if you really want to max yo chances, use both. goon participation is weekend dependant with people tapping out because of burnout. because this is a bad game and pgi is bad)

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Grognan posted:

(if you really want to max yo chances, use both. goon participation is weekend dependant with people tapping out because of burnout. because this is a bad game and pgi is bad)

The thing about discord is that people are online even when not playing, so that there are people sitting there that you can message for a quick game. On mumble people are only there when actually playing. There are also discussions about builds and tactics since the chat interface is really good.

There are a lot more goons on the discord than you would think, many of them never post here due to the constant barrage of idiotic comments from people that no longer play the game. Specifically any inquiry into mechs that cost real money.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

constant barrage of idiotic comments from people that no longer play the game

yes that is a valid reason not to use discord, use both discord and mumble and you will not miss out on things

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

And now you read this in a seally Svedisch accent Jå?

Grognan posted:

yes that is a valid reason not to use discord, use both discord and mumble and you will not miss out on things

Well aren't you a basket of sunshine and rainbows. Did someone piss in your cereal or are you naturally grumpy?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Grognan posted:

You missed my point. My point is that way more goons play this game than what you would think looking at only this forum and on mumble. And somehow the most toxic people are also the most against the use of discord, so in reality it is a win-win. I am not trying to bring the toxic people over to discord, I am trying to tell the new people wanting to join that please ignore the haters here and instead join the discord where the normal people who like playing this game hang out.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Jokes on all of you, I don't have mumble OR discord currently installed :toot:

I should probably reinstall at some point but gently caress it. Timezones yo.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

Jokes on all of you, I don't have mumble OR discord currently installed :toot:

I should probably reinstall at some point but gently caress it. Timezones yo.

I haven't seen you around in awhile, if you get around to reinstalling let me know and we should do a few drops.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Skoll posted:

I haven't seen you around in awhile, if you get around to reinstalling let me know and we should do a few drops.

Maybe this weekend, but I say that to myself every week.

Argh. Too exhausted after work every week. I do miss it though and I should do it.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

As fun and exciting as the VOIP Succession Wars are, pick whichever platform you want and get online, Delacroix. Try and get into a goon unit (remember to donate some CBILLS to the unit coffers if you can, inviting people is expensive) and message people if you see them online and playing imo. Goons are kind of constantly cycling through phases of playing and not playing, so you'll hook up with someone eventually. Maybe the one relevant benefit of the discord for you is that you can chat about builds in real time and learn to fine-tune your mech loadouts.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

TjyvTompa posted:

...normal people who like playing this game...

:monocle:

Don't forget to always add to friendslist, it's a good way to see all goons regardless of unit.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I'm new and enjoying the game but I want to be stupid and blow my tutorial/new person funbux on an Atlas, how poor of an idea is this, I'm okay with being slow, I just want to hit guys real hard.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

I think heavy larges are somewhat underrated. Divide the damage by the burn duration: turns out their damage is not only significantly more concentrated than the regular ERLL's (~11.6 vs ~8.15), but even slightly more concentrated than that of large pulses (!).

For the laser vomit playstyle, that's a godsend as it means less exposure time. Firing one big alpha every 7 seconds makes for better trades than firing a smaller one every 5.

The biggest issue with the weapon, IMO, is that it's hard to build with them. You can boat them, mix them with gauss rifles, and that's it - no other weapon will sync up with them.

I've been considering the Warhawk-C for this. I realized that its actually a kind of incredibly quirked mech. The C with its omnipod quirks and set of 8 gets like 13% energy heat reduction native - and the CT laser - AND the actuators on one arm. Its pretty perfect for LPL and PPC, 4 ppc, or... this.

Haven't built it out yet, but someone else might want to give it a go.

edit: the c model is also the one with ALL of the structure quirks.
edit2: if you downgrade to a large laser in the ct, you can fit up to a tarcomp 1-3 depending on whether you want a bap or to drop a heatsink somewhere to fit it.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 1, 2017

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Yardbomb posted:

I'm new and enjoying the game but I want to be stupid and blow my tutorial/new person funbux on an Atlas, how poor of an idea is this, I'm okay with being slow, I just want to hit guys real hard.

It's the best idea. Here are some hints:

Don't forget to never stop moving once you're firing.
Twist like there are 2 REALLY HOT waifu pillows on either side of you and you can't decide which one to introduce to your mom.
RALLY YOUR PUBBIES. They are the meat shields that will lead to your cultural victory.
Try to be the "let's push around this roc--- OH poo poo" robot.
You will never die.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Yardbomb posted:

Now this is the spirit I want to see. The same reasoning I had when I started this game after completing the first matches, buy the mech with the biggest stick.

Now for the bad part; it is a poor idea as a new player to buy an Atlas since it is one of the largest mechs in the game. You will be focused fired upon, you will be left behind, you will cry when your teammates scurry away from you like cockroaches as you start pushing into the enemy team. There are other mechs that can have the same firepower as an atlas but in a smaller package, ORION-IIC-A for example can do LBX20/4SRM6.

The Timberwolf can also do a bunch of different builds due to the omnipods, it's not as powerful as it once was but it is still a solid beginners mech. It can do lasers, ballistics, SRMs, pretty much anything you want. Another good starting mech is the Thunderbolt, the hero TOP DOG (TDR-5S-T) can do a bunch of different laserbuilds, LPLs, MLs, MPLs. The TDR-9SE does 3 LPLs really well and the TDR-5SS is the go-to mech for MPLs (6 with a targeting computer mk. IV).

It is always difficult to suggest mechs for beginners to buy because we all have different preferences and experiences when we were new to the game but unless you really like the Atlas I would suggest to not buy it. Not only is it slow and big, the other players tend to treat it as a huge threat since it is a huge threat if used correctly and will try to blow you apart asap.

But the most important part is, if you enjoy it, play it. Try some trial mechs to get a feel for the different weapons, use what you like. Don't use LRMs.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
:yeah:

Torso twisting like a champ in a mech with shield arms (or a zombie build with sacrificial side torsos) is the One True Path To Enlightenment.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

TjyvTompa posted:

Rotating armor means that you rotate your upper torso left/right so that incoming fire spreads out between your center torso, left/right torsos and arms, it does not mean to make a caracole. It's mostly used when brawling when there is no way of avoiding enemy fire. In a lasermech you should focus on trying to stay behind cover when not firing. This is very situational though, but for most cases you should never accelerate towards an enemy and then make a U-turn as that would expose your backside towards the enemy.

The default armor values in this game put way too much on the back, you should probably strip the back armor to 6 for the torsos and 8 for the CT, try not to get hit from behind.

I have watched a little on rotating armour but it is good to know that firing from cover is the way to go for lasers. That particular engagement (and really, most of my close up fights) was completely due to being fed up with the static gunline. It was less "starting a 1v3 brawl and walking out alive like a pro" and more "this loving team has no initiative".

Beet Wagon posted:

As fun and exciting as the VOIP Succession Wars are, pick whichever platform you want and get online, Delacroix. Try and get into a goon unit (remember to donate some CBILLS to the unit coffers if you can, inviting people is expensive) and message people if you see them online and playing imo. Goons are kind of constantly cycling through phases of playing and not playing, so you'll hook up with someone eventually. Maybe the one relevant benefit of the discord for you is that you can chat about builds in real time and learn to fine-tune your mech loadouts.

I appreciate the advice people have given me and the OP but I'm not sure if I'll stick around for too long. One good look at the store and there is no way I'd drop money at those prices. I want to try a few different loadouts but the grind to outfit an entirely different mech is hefty, though not insurmountable. I like the timber wolf and I think I'm playing a little bit better but I see a lot of Mad Cat MK2 and Deathstrikes and not a lot of reason to be their punching bag.

Machine guns for internals busting sounds pretty neat, I'll definitely try to fit one or two in, especially since the timber wolf prime has a ballistic slot on its face.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Laser mechs can absolutely torso twist like champs. Know your cooldowns and know when to twist back to a firing angle.

With a K9 and medium lasers it's almost perfect - twist 90 degrees, twist back and fire. Over and over. If you alternate sides you can potentially out last the heat limit on your opponent and core them out even if they're much heavier.

The urbie warhorn sound playing as you merrily stomp through the burning wreck of an assault is all the reward you need.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Delacroix posted:

I have watched a little on rotating armour but it is good to know that firing from cover is the way to go for lasers. That particular engagement (and really, most of my close up fights) was completely due to being fed up with the static gunline. It was less "starting a 1v3 brawl and walking out alive like a pro" and more "this loving team has no initiative".

I appreciate the advice people have given me and the OP but I'm not sure if I'll stick around for too long. One good look at the store and there is no way I'd drop money at those prices. I want to try a few different loadouts but the grind to outfit an entirely different mech is hefty, though not insurmountable. I like the timber wolf and I think I'm playing a little bit better but I see a lot of Mad Cat MK2 and Deathstrikes and not a lot of reason to be their punching bag.

Machine guns for internals busting sounds pretty neat, I'll definitely try to fit one or two in, especially since the timber wolf prime has a ballistic slot on its face.

If you want to use machineguns you should use (in my opinion) at least 4 of them. There are some different opinions on how many to use but I do not think anyone would suggest adding only 1 of them, it is waste of tonnage since they do so low damage individually. I do have 2 of them on my Bushwacker but that is a medium, for the TBR I would suggest something bigger, like a UAC5 or UAC10 build.

I would not suggest spending real money on this game unless you really like it AND have others to play it with. There is no way I would have spent the time and money I have done if there wouldn't have been other goons to play with. The grind is real, for sure.

Also I watched your video, there are people that have played this game for a long time that are much, much worse than you at this game. Hard to give advice from only 1 game but from what I see you got a good start. Hop on discord, play a few games with goons, nobody will hold it against you if you only show up once :)

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I wouldn't put MGs on a TBR, especially one built for Laser Vomit.

Machine guns are best for fast, nimble mechs that can get behind their target. Their higher crit damage gives lighter mechs with less firepower a way to cripple things they couldn't otherwise kill. If you're barfing out 60+ point alphas, you're better off just murdering stuff outright and packing in more heat sinks so that you can do it more often.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Six MG / 1 LBX 10 Shadowcat owns. Especially in groups.

You can even do Six HMGs and 1 LBX 5 but it will be a little ammo starved. It's a good gently caress around build but it can also sandpaper the gently caress out of just about anything.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Skoll posted:

Six MG / 1 LBX 10 Shadowcat owns. Especially in groups.

You can even do Six HMGs and 1 LBX 5 but it will be a little ammo starved. It's a good gently caress around build but it can also sandpaper the gently caress out of just about anything.

Surely you want one or two LPLs instead of the LBXs? Running cool is good for a brawler (or an ankle-biter as it happens), but running fully heatless is kind of a huge waste in general.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

NihilCredo posted:

Surely you want one or two LPLs instead of the LBXs? Running cool is good for a brawler (or an ankle-biter as it happens), but running fully heatless is kind of a huge waste in general.

It's for destroying components faster.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

NihilCredo posted:

Look at this fun hater over here.

TjyvTompa posted:

It's for destroying components faster.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
Hello fellow masochists. I'm pretty new to MWO and I'm GMT.
Should I jump into the discord anyway and try to play with you nerds at the weekends?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Hello friends, does anybody have a link to the fox2/wizard deployment video?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

kaffo posted:

Hello fellow masochists. I'm pretty new to MWO and I'm GMT.
Should I jump into the discord anyway and try to play with you nerds at the weekends?

Yes and yes. Always nice with more euros, we're quite few at the moment.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

TjyvTompa posted:

Yes and yes. Always nice with more euros, we're quite few at the moment.

Awesome, I'm in.
Look forward to shooting some poo poo with goonfriends

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Chronojam posted:

Hello friends, does anybody have a link to the fox2/wizard deployment video?

That Operation Caw caw caw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w13_uTNW7cc

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

TjyvTompa posted:

Don't use LRMs.

Oh yeah, so far the only time they've been any fun was playing that really dumb trial mech kintaro, just because it was kind of a funny novelty to basically be an overengineered missile truck and kill people worse than me. Other than that I've mostly been using the trial medium guy I keep forgetting the name of, he's humanoid shaped and has a bunch of lasers around his fists, looks sort of like he's holding his guns, that's been pretty fun to fart around with. But yeah after looking at junk some more, I like the look of Timberwolf's stuff while still being interested in my big dumb Atlas, so it's probably gonna come down to one of them soon if not both eventually.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 1, 2017

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
LRMs are good for making cbills quickly. A coordinated team on the right map can make them deadly, as we've learned time and again.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Skoll posted:

LRMs are good for making cbills quickly. A coordinated team on the right map can make them deadly, as we've learned time and again.

Lrm boats + narc'er + beer = good times.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

Oh yeah, so far the only time they've been any fun was playing that really dumb trial mech kintaro, just because it was kind of a funny novelty to basically be an overengineered missile truck and kill people worse than me. Other than that I've mostly been using the trial medium guy I keep forgetting the name of, he's humanoid shaped and has a bunch of lasers around his fists, looks sort of like he's holding his guns, that's been pretty fun to fart around with. But yeah after looking at junk some more, I like the look of Timberwolf's stuff while still being interested in my big dumb Atlas, so it's probably gonna come down to one of them soon if not both eventually.

What skoll said. LRMs get poo poo on a lot, because its easy to use them wrong, but used right they an get you really high damage numbers due to spreading damage - which is your primary source of income.

they're best in midrange support, where your mech can actually contribute armor to a push(if on the fatter side), and you can get your own locks. 450-500 meters?

The awesome 8r used to be great for dunking mechs like that. did it survive the skill tree-ening decently? I haven't used it/played in a while.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

NihilCredo posted:

While this is absolutely correct, the ECM is more useful than six MGs, and the whole point of the LB10 + MG build is that it's ridiculous and fun.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Thanks. It's a classic.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Deathstrike has no downsides whatsoever, it's pure apex predator.

:smug:.

E: Possible downside: May lose any desire to play anything else in your garage.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Skippy McPants posted:

I wouldn't put MGs on a TBR, especially one built for Laser Vomit.

Machine guns are best for fast, nimble mechs that can get behind their target. Their higher crit damage gives lighter mechs with less firepower a way to cripple things they couldn't otherwise kill. If you're barfing out 60+ point alphas, you're better off just murdering stuff outright and packing in more heat sinks so that you can do it more often.

To my mind the idea is that they'd be a button I can hold down after melting chest armour in CQC, to keep damage up in the intervening cooling period. I had a match where I suicided from a meltdown wishing I had a heat less weapon on hand. I broke 900 damage but I think it emphasises my tendency of ending up in close quarters during the course of matches.

• Locked thread