Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sepherothic
Feb 8, 2003

Haifisch posted:

I was a well-employed adjunct at a local university

Said no-one ever. Being an adjunct is academic hell.

And it's only going to get worse now that all these diploma mills are imploding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
No kidding, I was an adjunct at a state uni making less than a full-time burger flipper while being mostly in charge of my own curriculum and lessons, and doing my own god drat grading. I now use the same skills to make more money and work less (and still have time to freelance) in the :siren:FOR PROFIT:siren: sector

(implying that state-run colleges aren't a for-profit operation lol)

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

My coworker just told me that he put 50% of his retirement portfolio in an Indian ForEx mutual fund.

I have no details about it, but there are about 10 red flags in just that one sentence.

There's an India based scam going around where they ask you to "invest" in their fund. Sometimes it's commodities or forex but either way they can say anything because it's a scam. Your coworker will never see that money again.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

How does one get on the ground floor of that scam? Would 20k do it?

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

$1k/month on instagram toddler outfits: https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/51gpub/my_25_wife_24_is_obsessed_with_trying_to_get_our/

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

What's insane is that it actually works for a few lucky (?) people. My idiot cousin spent a shitload of money dressing her twins in cute outfits all of them time for Instagram pictures and now gets all sorts of clothing sent to her for free. It's still a waste of time and money if you ask me.

SweetSassyMolassy
Oct 31, 2010

Poor guy, sounds like he spends half his time between being depressed and infuriated. Must be a very uncomfortable state of mind.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I'll see if I can ask my coworker about his Indian ForEx mutual fund. I foolishly assumed that a ForEx mutual fund would be a bad investment rather than an outright scam.

The instagram wife is actually spending 13k a year on baby clothes. So even more than 1k a month! What kind of doormat do you have to be to let a stay at home mom rack up that kind of thing for months on end even after your family tries to stage an intervention?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
It could be a scam, or it could be a bad to mediocre investment. The Indian part is the bigger red flag. People itt automatically think forex = bad, but it's not a black hole where money disappears. All those idiot individual traders are losing their money to somebody, after all, minus trade fees of course. There are probably some institutions making good money off these poor saps.

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo
I am talking to a mod right now about getting you probated/banned/gassed
Speaking of scams, here's a great one from my back yard:

http://www.yorkregion.com/news-story/6842870-black-money-scam-vaughan-woman-defrauded-of-thousands/

quote:

Black money scam: Vaughan woman defrauded of thousands
Cash painted black as alleged ruse to sneak it through customs
by Jeremy Grimaldi

Stories of frauds don't get much more fantastical than this one.

York police investigators uncovered the alleged scam in April 2016 after a Vaughan woman came forward to reports she'd been defrauded. But when police looked into the alleged crime, its scale went far beyond what one might expect.

The story begins after the 51-year-old woman met someone online, falling for a man who didn't really exist. Over the next few months, he "borrowed" thousands of dollars from her.

However, after the money had been paid out, the alleged perpetrator offered the woman a chance to get some back.

Once she accepted, arrangements were made to meet an associate of the online friend, who claimed to be a diplomat from the United Kingdom by the name of Adam David, who would return the funds.

However, once she met the man, she dealt with further demands, first being told the men needed more money to free the cash from customs, police said.

The woman was then told to meet the men at a nearby hotel, but when she showed up, a suitcase full of money, which was painted black, was produced, under the excuse it was coloured in order to sneak it through customs.

More money was then demanded for the money to be "cleaned" with some form of solution.

After the last batch of money was handed over, the man disappeared, never to be seen again.

"There are many types of scams with a variety of tricks and tactics used by the suspects, but the goal is the same, suspects are looking to take as much money as they can from their victims," said Const. Andy Pattenden. "We urge our citizens to always consult with a trusted friend or family member or call the police before sending any money to strangers."

Police arrested Taiwo Gbolade of Brampton on Aug. 31. He is scheduled to appear, charged with fraud over $5,000, at Newmarket court on September 29.

Police believe there are other victims and are asking people to come forward and call 1-866-876-5423, ext. 6612.

I found another article which threw out the amount of $30K - not sure if that's what she originally lost, or what she lost altogether.

I mean, alright, you got scammed. That sucks. But believing the scammer when they say they want to give some of your money back? And then forking over more money for a case full of black-painted paper to clean it? It boggles the mind. What did she think would happen at customs when they investigated the suitcase full of money-looking piles? "Whoops, just stacks of black-painted paper. No funny business here - let it through."

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
So my Mother-in-law got her money back, because of course deposit errors happen all the time and get fixed. She she got in touch with the retirement plan liaison at her company and they were able to sort things out with the plan provider and her bank. I just hope that whoever got $3000 deposited into their account by mistake got turbofucked by the police for withdrawing it and closing their account.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Man, black money scam is some 1940s poo poo, glad to see people still have respect for the classic bunco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y-EXsingD4

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

pathetic little tramp posted:

Man, black money scam is some 1940s poo poo, glad to see people still have respect for the classic bunco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y-EXsingD4

Hey, they're classics for a reason. If the con still works, no reason to change it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

NancyPants posted:

Hey, they're classics for a reason. If the con still works, no reason to change it.

My dad's fallen for the "we have some left over material from down the street we'll give it to you just for labor!" trick and the weird traveling meat salesman thing and a barebones really obvious pyramid scheme chain letter too.

My dad's kind of a gullible idiot, is what I'm saying.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I know I've said this before on SA, possibly in BFC, and was promptly ridiculed all around for saying it, but I still think it's 100% correct and am baffled as to why it's unpopular:

There is no reason to engage with any stranger out in public whatsover beyond the simplest polite gestures, and doing so is just stupid. How on earth you end up engaging to a level where you are negotiating price on whatever silly scam they are peddling is beyond me. It doesn't matter at all what strangers think of you. At all. gently caress them.

I mean be super polite to everyone by default, especially those poor strangers you're meeting in the service industry. Be as human as you can with them even if only for a moment, and tip 20% at least always. But if some random person approaches me on the street asking me if they've seen someone else or if I want to see a yo yo trick or if I like hip hop or if I support whatever it's an instant short circuit... nope, no, no thank you, sorry no cash, late for a meeting, sorry. gently caress any stranger forever, spoiler alert: they want your money.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pryor on Fire posted:

I know I've said this before on SA, possibly in BFC, and was promptly ridiculed all around for saying it, but I still think it's 100% correct and am baffled as to why it's unpopular:

There is no reason to engage with any stranger out in public whatsover beyond the simplest polite gestures, and doing so is just stupid. How on earth you end up engaging to a level where you are negotiating price on whatever silly scam they are peddling is beyond me. It doesn't matter at all what strangers think of you. At all. gently caress them.

I mean be super polite to everyone by default, especially those poor strangers you're meeting in the service industry. Be as human as you can with them even if only for a moment, and tip 20% at least always. But if some random person approaches me on the street asking me if they've seen someone else or if I want to see a yo yo trick or if I like hip hop or if I support whatever it's an instant short circuit... nope, no, no thank you, sorry no cash, late for a meeting, sorry. gently caress any stranger forever, spoiler alert: they want your money.

You sound real fun

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

You sound real fun

Pray tell, what fun is to be had by being accosted by random people on the street?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

WampaLord posted:

Pray tell, what fun is to be had by being accosted by random people on the street?

I would tell you, but I'm not interested in continuing this interaction.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

WampaLord posted:

gettin laid

and

gettin paid

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Pryor on Fire posted:

I mean you're right but even I can tell that stating it this way is spergy as hell. That is possibly why people don't love hearing it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

WampaLord posted:

But then you might miss this GREAT DEAL I have on some speakers that fell off the back of a truck.

NancyPants posted:

I mean you're right but even I can tell that stating it this way is spergy as hell. That is possibly why people don't love hearing it.
This, and most people know that random strangers don't come up to you trying to sell you poo poo out of the goodness of their hearts, so laying it out like that comes across as pretty condescending.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

all my friends used to be strangers though :confused:

e: none of them ever offered to show me a yo-yo trick, the jerks

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 7, 2016

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

You've already lost.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sometimes people who come up to you on the street are in need of your help. It's good to help people.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

Pryor on Fire posted:

This is a good rule of thumb if you have zero intuition and/or social skills.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Pryor on Fire posted:

how do u make friends

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Whole lotta non-Southerners in this thread, I met a very nice person who was driving from Louisiana to her home in Canada while I was filling up at a filling station in Tennessee over the weekend. We're not gremial friends now of course, but it was in fact completely normal to notice her Ontario licence plate and ask if she was vacationing or heading to Canada and wish her well on the rest of her journey.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

This is a good rule of thumb if you have zero intuition and/or social skills.

It's pretty easy to notice a pyramid scheme coming a mile away. Only happened to me once, luckily. While filling up at a gas station, some guy started in with "Boy, it sure is a beautiful day, isn't it?" cue some solar energy shares pyramid scheme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPGHjf2GqMQ&t=70s

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Whole lotta non-Southerners in this thread

I mean I grew up in and vehemently hate a lot about the south but the people here are genuinely pretty outgoing and like talking to you about whatever or just helpin' out. It's one of the few things I like about it.

WampaLord posted:

For example this one time I was heading back to my car in the parking lot of walgreens and there was a 30-something lady out there stressing out about something, I ask her what the matter was and she tells me her phone is dead and she needs to make a call, I let her borrow my phone and she makes the call. On the call she's basically asking when she could get a ride to work from whoever it was, it seems like it's gonna be a while until they can come, something like that. I got nothing better to do this day so I go "eh I'm heading that way if you want a ride" and she's all polite and "well I don't want to be any trouble or anything" "nah it's fine, hop in" and she does and I drive her a few miles across town and we talk about her problems and listen to some music and have a great ol' time, then I drop her off and she's super thankful and everything's great. It was a really nice experience and she was a real nice friendly lady.

I later realized after the fact that based on the area I dropped her off at her job was most likely "being a hooker", which just makes the story even better!

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:

Pryor on Fire posted:

Personally I empathize but I'm pretty sure a lot of people enjoy socializing with random strangers in the street for whatever reason, I think the solution is just to wear headphones so that they understand that you yourself are not open for business

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I mean I grew up in and vehemently hate a lot about the south but the people here are genuinely pretty outgoing and like talking to you about whatever or just helpin' out. It's one of the few things I like about it.

For example this one time I was heading back to my car in the parking lot of walgreens and there was a 30-something lady out there stressing out about something, I ask her what the matter was and she tells me her phone is dead and she needs to make a call, I let her borrow my phone and she makes the call. On the call she's basically asking when she could get a ride to work from whoever it was, it seems like it's gonna be a while until they can come, something like that. I got nothing better to do this day so I go "eh I'm heading that way if you want a ride" and she's all polite and "well I don't want to be any trouble or anything" "nah it's fine, hop in" and she does and I drive her a few miles across town and we talk about her problems and listen to some music and have a great ol' time, then I drop her off and she's super thankful and everything's great. It was a really nice experience and she was a real nice friendly lady.

I later realized after the fact that based on the area I dropped her off at her job was most likely "being a hooker", which just makes the story even better!

Way to not get a free blowjob for giving a hooker a ride. Oh well, next time you'll know.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Solice Kirsk posted:

Way to not get a free blowjob for giving a hooker a ride. Oh well, next time you'll know.

Passing up free sex with a pro: bad with money, good with health.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Whole lotta non-Southerners in this thread, I met a very nice person who was driving from Louisiana to her home in Canada while I was filling up at a filling station in Tennessee over the weekend. We're not gremial friends now of course, but it was in fact completely normal to notice her Ontario licence plate and ask if she was vacationing or heading to Canada and wish her well on the rest of her journey.

How much did she take you for?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Maybe you should have better things to do with your day than chat up strangers in parking lots and give them rides.

I'm missing the "fun" part of that story, and also it easily could have ended with you getting stabbed.

E: VVV Yea, I'm the beep boop robot for not wanting to waste my precious free time on some random idiot.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 8, 2016

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

WampaLord posted:

Maybe you should have better things to do with your day than chat up strangers in parking lots and give them rides.

I'm missing the "fun" part of that story, and also it easily could have ended with you getting stabbed.

BEEP BOOP what is purpose of hoo-man interaction with no material gain KACHUNK

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

WampaLord posted:

E: VVV Yea, I'm the beep boop robot for not wanting to waste my precious free time on some random idiot.

I assume then that you're paid to post here.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

WampaLord posted:

Lol yeah actually you sound like a sociopath.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

This thread sometimes most of the time.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Easychair Bootson posted:

How much did she take you for?

well she had these canadian bills that are really rare but they were covered in black, she can't take them back to canada or she'd be caught so she let me have them for just 5k (she was in a hurry, they're worth easily 50k). just waiting for her to send the solvent to the address i gave her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I've met a guy on a street who was desperate for some cash, so he sold me his current state ID card. And that's how I was able to go drinking at 19 (legal age is 21). So, gently caress ya'll, strangers are great.

• Locked thread