Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

This post has been severely underappreciated.

Probably because it isn't funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

That's good because it was a seriouspost.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

WHEW!

mystes
May 31, 2006

There's a 50% off sale on yubicos if you you buy 2, so I bought 2 yubico neos.

I think I'm going to try to switch from lastpass to pass, and keep the key on the cards.

It's too bad that pass doesn't support using openssl for encryption, though, because that would make it possible to use a lot of cheap, generic smartcards. Actually someone should make a u2f-based password manager (that is actually using a u2f device for encryption rather than just authentication), because that would be secure and dirt cheap.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Wouldn't want someone to break into your FurAffinity account

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's probably overkill but LastPass was already hacked once and I can't quite bring myself to just keep all my passwords lying around on my computer in an unencrypted text file.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

It's probably overkill but LastPass was already hacked once and I can't quite bring myself to just keep all my passwords lying around on my computer in an unencrypted text file.

I write them on a slip of paper and keep it in a drawer, unhackable!

mystes
May 31, 2006

bongwizzard posted:

I write them on a slip of paper and keep it in a drawer, unhackable!
I honestly think that this approach is better than most of the alternatives and has been unfairly maligned, but I do need to be able to log into stuff when I'm not at home.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

I honestly think that this approach is better than most of the alternatives and has been unfairly maligned, but I do need to be able to log into stuff when I'm not at home.

I always figured that the physical items at my house are far more valuable than anything I have online, other my bank account password, which is like the only one I don't write down. So if someone's going to break in and steal all my cool stuff, they might as well go buck wild on my assorted forums accounts too.

When I'm traveling or away from home I need to log into something I generally just do a password recovery as it usually only takes a few seconds these days. Other than a few big sites like Amazon, everything I buy online is run through a credit card linked to a PayPal account, so I don't entirely care about having a super secure password at every little store I buy poo poo from.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
As much as we joke about cybersecurity I was actually reading an article or something written by an anonymous Tech chief for one of the top 10 Fortune 500 companies. And one of the more interesting things I read was how much physical security is starting to once again become important. I mean it always has been important but in a way that certain locations are easier to steal the "corporate espionage" stuff in a physical manner than a digital one.

"A few guys with Comcast uniforms and bolt cutters, came in and physically stole a bunch of computers" style stuff. It was really cool.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I use a system of context based passwords along with date relevant things and initials. Pretty secure and easy to remember. A primitive example would be Somethingawfulabc17!.

But really though the Equifax hack should prove that nothing is safe so always assume the worst. Using the apps is too much headache and not any more secure than a typically strong password.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If you use a single strong password, then all it takes is a single plaintext/unsalted database hack for every one of your logins to be compromised

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That's why I keep every password context relevant to the site/service.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Frankly, the Equifax thing taught us that if the bad guys are gonna get you, they're gonna get you no matter what you do, so best to not to worry about it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Data breaches are very common, but one of the consequences of this is that you need it to be easy to change your passwords.

Systems where you make passwords based on some sort of rules are theoretically similar to stateless password managers that generate site passwords based on hashing the url with a master password. The general problem with this approach is that with no state, it's impossible to change passwords. Therefore, you need to remember some state for each site. Having to remember some state for each site in itself defeats the main advantage of this approach. Also, if you ever need to change your master password (or rules for generating the password in the case of this type of simple system), it becomes extra complicated.

Also, if you are using a simple rule based system to create passwords, it probably won't stand up to someone targeting you specifically. If you only have a few lower case letters that are random, someone who knows one of your passwords would probably be able to get into any accounts you have on sites that don't automatically disable accounts that have had too many failed login attempts.

Something like "Somethingawfulabc17!" may not actually be much better than "abc" depending on the kind of threat you are worried about if all your passwords are "domain[lowercase letter][lowercase letter][lowercase letter]year!"

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
About the only online login someone could use to actually hurt me in any meaningful way is my stocks. Anything else would be an annoyance or inconvenience at worst.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

mystes posted:

https://keepass.info/ + dropbox

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

Something like "Somethingawfulabc17!" may not actually be much better than "abc" depending on the kind of threat you are worried about if all your passwords are "domain[lowercase letter][lowercase letter][lowercase letter]year!"

I use "rap lyrics about money" for most everything, good luck brute forcing that.

skrapp mettle
Mar 17, 2007

This one. I have a folder shared between my personal and work dropbox that the Keepass database lives in so I can get at it from home or work and off mobile devices. Works really well and syncs everywhere.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
I thought the LastPass hack didn’t actually compromise anything meaningful? I’m sticking with them, anyway.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah they say the underlying passwords are still secure and that you only need to change your master password.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

why is that called Keep rear end

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

poop dood posted:

why is that called Keep rear end

Because, if you are like me, you like to Keep your rear end locked up tight and only let trusted people inside it.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
Traveling for work until Jan so I bought a laptop and Dragons Dogma on PC to play in the hotel which is now my home.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is 1Password not the king of the hill in that arena anymore? I've used it for years with no complaints, I hope it's secure!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's still good but other options like Lastpass are free.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I buy way too much pointless poo poo to post here, but I recently got this "mechanical keyboard" for $20 because it seems like exactly the sort of snob subculture I'd be in to and the $20 barrier of entry was in impulse buy zone

Unfortunately it's loud as gently caress and I just think I'm cut out for very low-travel, laptop-style keyboards. My current favorite keyboard is a wireless HP keyboard, of all brands.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I bet you eat your steaks well done

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Glottis posted:

Unfortunately it's loud as gently caress

Isn't that the whole point of mechanical keyboards?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They make soft clicking mechanical keyboards now

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Mu Zeta posted:

They make soft clicking mechanical keyboards now

So what's the point?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It has the same long key travel but without the loud noise. Feels similar to my Thinkpad but better.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Josh Lyman posted:

I bet you eat your steaks well done

The proper way

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
the presidential way

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent

Mu Zeta posted:

It has the same long key travel but without the loud noise. Feels similar to my Thinkpad but better.

Long travel soft click is kinda like sprinting in birkenstocks

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
It being loud is absolutely the point. Also blank key cap sets where the wasd are different colours so that people know there's something wrong with you.

bookkeeper
Jul 14, 2010

it means "the kapital"

I bought a mechanical keyboard with quiet switches to use at work. It feels a lot nicer to type on than a chiclet keyboard, and I type faster too.

edit: this one https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B072LTTNVS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Doesn't that have cherry red switches? Those are anything but quiet.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

big mean giraffe posted:

Doesn't that have cherry red switches? Those are anything but quiet.

cherry reds are linear and have no click unless you bottom out, so they can be pretty quiet. They also feel pretty different from your "traditional" mechanical keyboard, though. If you try a cherry blue or something and then buy reds, you're gonna be disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cherry Browns are the One True mechanical switch and any other is turbo garbage