Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

TheRagamuffin posted:

You are a saint.

Would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

CrashScreen posted:

I thought the reason you didn't use Fire II for groups of three was because while it's higher potency with three enemies, the MP cost means less casts that's enough of a difference for Fire I to be better?

That depends on mob HP and the rest of the groups DPS output. If you're in there with say, a DRG against a bunch of not-meant-to-be-mass-AoE'd-to-death enemies then you're going to get enough casts in that it doesn't matter. If you've got a buddy BLM then you're probably going to be tripping over each other casts a bit anyway so it would pay to keep an eye out for switching to fire 1 over fire 2.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CrashScreen posted:

I thought the reason you didn't use Fire II for groups of three was because while it's higher potency with three enemies, the MP cost means less casts that's enough of a difference for Fire I to be better?

Nope, it's still better potency per second, because while you don't get as many casts per astral phase, you're actually alternating between astral and umbral much faster. A typical AOE cycle is 12-15 seconds, while the single target cycle is almost twice as long.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

You're still better off doing AOE with 3 or more targets. Especially as a black mage, because you're the only class with an unlimited resource. If you're a black mage and you're not AOEing, you are being bad.

What about at 60? Once you get enochian and fire 4 rolling, how many targets do you need to be hitting at once for Fire 2 to be a better deal?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

"Consistency with other Final Fantasy games" isn't a very strong argument because Fira is almost always just a higher-damage version of Fire, but that's certainly not true here.

quote:

What about at 60? Once you get enochian and fire 4 rolling, how many targets do you need to be hitting at once for Fire 2 to be a better deal?

I only AoE on 4+, but that's just me.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

What about Flare, i still get to Flare right? :ohdear:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I commend BLMs that use flare because it's such a kickass skill that shouldn't have been nerfed

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!
You've also got Ruinra and Ruinga, Benefira then my favourite, Combustra.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Ignimbrite posted:

I commend BLMs that use flare because it's such a kickass skill that shouldn't have been nerfed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuxO6_3xDww

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

a kitten posted:

What about Flare, i still get to Flare right? :ohdear:

Again, I don't know if it's optimal, but I always finish my AoE rotations with Flare.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

vOv posted:

Again, I don't know if it's optimal, but I always finish my AoE rotations with Flare.
It's not even close. And if the mobs will be alive long enough to fit the rotation in, it's (bunch of fire 2) > Flare > Transpose > wait until your first MP tick (slightly longer with haste) > Fire III > 2x Fire II > Flare and repeat. Flare is so good that it does way more damage to just jam yourself back into Astral Fire even without full MP.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

vOv posted:

Flare is still powerful as all hell. It's 260 potency on the target, 234 potency on target #2, 208 potency on mob #3, 182 on mob #4, 156 for mob #5 and any past that get hit for 130 potency. So it's still a solid spell.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's not even close. And if the mobs will be alive long enough to fit the rotation in, it's (bunch of fire 2) > Flare > Transpose > wait until your first MP tick (slightly longer with haste) > Fire III > 2x Fire II > Flare and repeat. Flare is so good that it does way more damage to just jam yourself back into Astral Fire even without full MP.

Naw, that's exactly what I've been doing. Mainly I asked for the new people's benefit, and just to make sure someone hadn't figured out some weird math thing about BLM aoe or something.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Oh, right, I forgot that the level 10-15 Lancer's outfit is basically a gimp suit. Well, at least skimpy outfits weren't limited to the ladies.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Mr. Nice! posted:

Flare is still powerful as all hell. It's 260 potency on the target, 234 potency on target #2, 208 potency on mob #3, 182 on mob #4, 156 for mob #5 and any past that get hit for 130 potency. So it's still a solid spell.

It's 260 BEFORE astral fire bonus.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Belzac posted:

It's 260 BEFORE astral fire bonus.

Yeah flare is still loving sick.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I'm trying to help out someone in my FC with tanking. He said something in chat about being tired of getting kicked for being a noob. His english is pretty poor because I play on Ragnarok EU, but I assumed he was low level. So I check him out and he's level 42 gladiator. Apparently nobody had ever told him how jobs worked. So I make sure he knows how to tank as a gladiator, and me, him and some guildmates run through stasasha to make sure he understands. He did not understand. He would run through 3 packs before stopping, start hitting 1 target at a time (because Flash doesn't do damage), and start typing during pulls. He is on PS4 too. Then, after we killed everything and were starting to give him some more tips, he would pop sprint and run to the next couple packs with ~200 TP. I don't know if its because his english is poor, but I think he might be a small child or actually disabled and I'm not sure what to tell him. He literally had no concept of what a tank was or was supposed to do, by level 42.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

From what I've read, AOE still beats single target for 3+ targets at 60.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

Oh, right, I forgot that the level 10-15 Lancer's outfit is basically a gimp suit. Well, at least skimpy outfits weren't limited to the ladies.

Embrace the subligar.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
How do I enable a keyboard for FFIV?

My board works fine in the PS4 UI, but I can't use it to chat or do anything at all in FF14. I've tried looking for options in the menu to enable it, but there's practically nothing.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Avalanche posted:

How do I enable a keyboard for FFIV?

My board works fine in the PS4 UI, but I can't use it to chat or do anything at all in FF14. I've tried looking for options in the menu to enable it, but there's practically nothing.

Enter is the default "Go to chat." but I suspect you're Hud is still in PS4 mode. In the Character settings, the top two boxes on the left should be a toggle switch that goes back and forth between the two of them.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

A Moose posted:

I'm trying to help out someone in my FC with tanking. He said something in chat about being tired of getting kicked for being a noob. His english is pretty poor because I play on Ragnarok EU, but I assumed he was low level. So I check him out and he's level 42 gladiator. Apparently nobody had ever told him how jobs worked. So I make sure he knows how to tank as a gladiator, and me, him and some guildmates run through stasasha to make sure he understands. He did not understand. He would run through 3 packs before stopping, start hitting 1 target at a time (because Flash doesn't do damage), and start typing during pulls. He is on PS4 too. Then, after we killed everything and were starting to give him some more tips, he would pop sprint and run to the next couple packs with ~200 TP. I don't know if its because his english is poor, but I think he might be a small child or actually disabled and I'm not sure what to tell him. He literally had no concept of what a tank was or was supposed to do, by level 42.

He also doesn't know that at 42 you should be a Paladin, not a Gladiator, I see. Might be unsalvageable.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The paladin thing, important as it is, is a bit secondary to the basic "know what tanks do, and actually do it" thing. I'd rather have a level 42 gladiator that actually tried to hold threat, than a level 42 paladin who ran around acting like the above post's description.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Vil posted:

The paladin thing, important as it is, is a bit secondary to the basic "know what tanks do, and actually do it" thing. I'd rather have a level 42 gladiator that actually tried to hold threat, than a level 42 paladin who ran around acting like the above post's description.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure the quest to become a paladin starts right close to where the last gladiator quest ends, and hopefully by that point you're used to going "oh a quest I should do that".
Meanwhile the game as it stands doesn't do a great job telling you how to play your role in a party.

So I would say, with regard to the salvagability of the person in question, the lack of a job stone is more worrying than the fact that they don't know how tanks are supposed to work in dungeons.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, I've found that if I have Ley Lines up I have to wait a little bit longer after my MP tick, otherwise I only have enough mana to go F3 straight into Flare and then I don't have Transpose up and everything is terrible. Of course that might change as I lose even more spellspeed from going into full eso.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
So I got my AST AF sleeves! Which is pretty good, because you can't see AST AF pants anyways, but you can maybe see the shoes and while they both look sufficiently Umbra Witch-y, for the most part, what you see are the hat, body, and gloves.

Also, I spent some time grinding out the rest of my relic crystals, because my first whack at 60 roulette was a tank who warned they might be "a bit squishy", by way of still wearing pieces of unaugmented Ironworks gear.

So I noped the hell out and ground out th... wait.

Wait.

CLIPPING?!

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Klades posted:

Meanwhile the game as it stands doesn't do a great job telling you how to play your role in a party.

I get the feeling that Guildhests were supposed to provide this bit of knowledge, but in my experience they go by so quickly that you don't really have time to quite figure out what it is that's happening.

I've done some Gladiator and Marauder tanking on the level 10 hests, and while I don't mind the one with the big armor guy, the other one with the multiple mobs can be a bit hectic, especially when your options are a bit limited.

I've only leveled GLD to about 15, and I haven't run any dungeons on that yet. I didn't really care for tanking, personally. I'm getting MRD to 15 for DRG, but I may give that class a shot in dungeons if it melds better with my playstyle.

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Hi my name is Doxylamine Succinate, I will be serving you tonight
So, I started using flash out of combat, just because. Why does this trigger tanks to get really mad?

Hornet
Nov 13, 2007
Gamer
So very mad indeed. Maniak and I were in the dungeon together. He was healing, I was DPS. The tank got real mad at him. I took screenshots.

Here is the saltiest man in Final Fantasy XIV:

The guy who said he was cold is a thaumaturge. I thought it was a good joke.

Hornet fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jan 18, 2016

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Hornet posted:

So very mad indeed. Maniak and I were in the dungeon together. He was healing, I was DPS. The tank got real mad at him. I took screenshots.

Here is the saltiest man in Final Fantasy XIV:

The guy who said he was cold is a thaumaturge. I thought it was a good joke.

"I didn't realize you owned the mine!" :mmmhmm:

And yeah, I liked the fire joke.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

le trole goone

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Hi my name is Doxylamine Succinate, I will be serving you tonight

Leofish posted:

"I didn't realize you owned the mine!" :mmmhmm:

And yeah, I liked the fire joke.

Whats even better was he was a thaumaturge.

The tank was a gladiator who couldn't hold aggro for anything cause he would NOT use flash in the middle of combat, or use riot blade to regain MP after casting it at the beginning.
I really wasn't even trying to troll the guy, he just saw me flash and got super mad.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Technogeek posted:

Emphasis mine.

I've been wearing the fending ring from Alex on my SCH since it gives accuracy, which allows me to have 100% in all non-extreme/savage content (the extra hp buffer is neat too). Nobody even noticed in the half year since I've been wearing it. I guess nobody cares if you're top dps anyway :iiam:

It's probably the guy with fire 3 rotation.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Thanks to goons I went from 1-50 and finished the MSQ in my first week of owning the game.

Yay. Onward to the Heavansward grind.

Pray Return

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Digital_Jesus posted:

Thanks to goons I went from 1-50 and finished the MSQ in my first week of owning the game.

Yay. Onward to the Heavansward grind.

Pray Return

Which version of Pray Return are you now on? There are three, iirc: Waking Sands, Rising Stones, and Moghome.

Also, grats! (This is Lucille, btw)

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I just finished Praetorium last night so I'm still pray returning my rear end to the loving garbage sands.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Digital_Jesus posted:

I just finished Praetorium last night so I'm still pray returning my rear end to the loving garbage sands.

There is a cutscene or two right before HW starts that is totally worth watching, but I don't know how to tell you when it comes up without spoilers.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
So can someone give me a basic breakdown of how gathering collectibles for breakdown works? I haven't had much time to dive into it and I need dawnborne aethersand. All of my DoH are level 60 and I can gear them up pretty easily.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Kibner posted:

There is a cutscene or two right before HW starts that is totally worth watching, but I don't know how to tell you when it comes up without spoilers.

lmao like I've watched a single cutscene yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Digital_Jesus posted:

lmao like I've watched a single cutscene yet.

how the gently caress are you supposed to appreciate the intricacies of perfuming chocobos if you do poo poo limke this??? mods?????

• Locked thread