Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

ilitarist posted:

I'm talking about fusion of ideas that I:R needs more content and that it somehow doesn't have enough "content". This religious update adds hundreds of gods you won't notice or read descriptions, but the real change is that pantheon play as additional customization for nations and links the religious system to the expansion. Having 300 deities is nice. It's also superfluous.

You gotta let it go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

It's strange, he keep piling on complaints rather than tossing them awa far and wide. Almost building the pile... tall. Very out of character.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

StealthArcher posted:

It's strange, he keep piling on complaints rather than tossing them awa far and wide. Almost building the pile... tall. Very out of character.

It's your imagination. You can't discuss I:R in a tall way yet, we need several expansions for that.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

ilitarist posted:

I'm talking about fusion of ideas that I:R needs more content and that it somehow doesn't have enough "content". This religious update adds hundreds of gods you won't notice or read descriptions, but the real change is that pantheon play as additional customization for nations and links the religious system to the expansion. Having 300 deities is nice. It's also superfluous.

imperator dosen't have enough content, that's why it had 40k players on release and has about 10 now.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Personally I think Imperator needs at least another 5 GB of content it's just so sparse right now, not even close to a double-digit install size. I can go to Doom Eternal right now and for an extra 20 bucks I can get almost 1000% more content, Doom clocks in at a whopping 44 gigs, Imperator is barely a rounding error next to this absolute monolith of content.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Imperator needed to come out of the gate as a game that had its own identity instead of being a watered down mix of EU4 and CK2. Every single feature in the game is half baked and many are completely pointless. Why is army tactics a thing I have to select? Why does it model characters with marriages and family lines in an even thinner way than Medieval: Total War?

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Can anyone recommend solid mods for Vicky 2?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I just spent a long time playing as Sparta after the 1.4 update and I gotta say it's way more enjoyable than it was before. By the time I had most of the Peloponnese I was able to kick Phrygia out of Attica and Boetia by making good alliances with smaller powers and timing it right. After I took Corinth from them and vassalized Athens I somehow managed to beat mega-Macedon in a war and take Aetolia. This rules.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Right now I'm enjoying CK2 Monarch Challenges. Later ones are good. They put you in a position that is interesting as it is and adds several long-term goals. This is refreshing when you know how to play the base game.

Before monarch journey and in other games we have achievements. But I look at them and it feels like only EU4 achievements are fun. Often silly but fun. CK2, Imperator and HoI4 are all generic. Even more complex ones like "As Syracuse, conquer all of Sicily by the death of your ruler, Agathocles." are more or less play specific nations well. Strange!

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 3, 2020

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Nosfereefer posted:

Historical Project Mod is pretty cool and what I usually play with these days, so I recommend you start there. It includes new countries; some new mechanics like treaty ports and more intense consequences for world wars; as well as some economic rebalancing, like making steel part of every day needs for most pops to simulate the primacy of steel production in that time period IRL.

There's also historical flavor mod which I believe is the same thing but more events and decisions maybe?

If you want just more countries with little other changes there is New Nations Mod.

The grandaddy of them all is Pop Demand Mod, but I have never played it.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

Most of the problems people cite with Imperator I feel the same way about EU4 with the main difference between the two being that Imperator has horrible UX issues that EU has mostly resolved but it also has significantly more interesting core gameplay. EU obviously has more subsystems layered on top of its core gameplay but these vary very heavily in level of quality and frequently just give you extra buttons to press without any interesting decisionmaking.

With that said the next EU patch sounds like it will fix or at least attempt to fix huge swathes of flaws in the game which is encouraging.

Why can’t I see a nations army size without scrolling around in the ledger in eu4?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Nosfereefer posted:

Divergences offers a lot of replayability and a fresh outlook.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Divergences also offers you the possibility of reforging the Inca Empire which is always super fun until you realize you have nothing but loving WOOL provinces

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Nosfereefer posted:

Blood and Iron is probably my favorite for now. Helps smooth out the janky historical experience of vanilla Vicky 2 (ie. no more US colonization of British Columbia) without adding as much material as HPM or Pops of Darkness. Works p well for me since I'm too lazy to keep track of new information

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Beamed posted:

Divergences offers a lot of replayability and a fresh outlook.

Divergences is the only way I’ve played V2 in years, although that can probably be a result of me being more forgiving of an alt-history mod’s faults than something supposed to model actual history

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

It's kind of funny that it also has the Dual Monarchy, which is the United Kingdom but Even Stronger Somehow :v:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

BgRdMchne posted:

Why can’t I see a nations army size without scrolling around in the ledger in eu4?

This always bugged the crap out of me too and it's surprising that after all these updates (I haven't played EU4 in like 2 years) they still haven't just put it on the nation info screen somewhere. They did it in CK2 ages ago!

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

they're doing that in the next patch

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Your ministers only put in the work calculating a nation's army size when you decide to pick a new rival. Even then they're to lazy to give you a straight number.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

They need to put forcelimit there too. The AI likes to keep deceptively low army sizes in peacetime and then poo poo out a load of extra units whenever they go to war.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

They need to put forcelimit there too. The AI likes to keep deceptively low army sizes in peacetime and then poo poo out a load of extra units whenever they go to war.

Yeah the AI tends to be very mercenary happy and will rack up tons of loans to do it. This is a harder thing to condense into a simple UI number though because it depends on a lot of different factors.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah the AI tends to be very mercenary happy and will rack up tons of loans to do it. This is a harder thing to condense into a simple UI number though because it depends on a lot of different factors.
It does increase the chance of them having to declare bankruptcy when you take their lunch money in the peace deal. Which together with the devastation, which is further increased by 10 in every province when defaulting on their debts, and war exhaustion might be enough to push them into perma debt chaining bankruptcies for the rest of the game.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
victoria 3 need to have some way of directing a change in rgos, the game is absolutely miserable when youre stuck with a bunch of wool provinces

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sampatrick posted:

victoria 3 need to have some way of directing a change in rgos, the game is absolutely miserable when youre stuck with a bunch of wool provinces

If you have that you just have to conquer your way to some better ones.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

VostokProgram posted:

Historical Project Mod

Beamed posted:

Divergences

cool dance moves posted:

Blood and Iron

Thanks!

e: i think the most fun i had i viccy 2 was modernizing persia by conquering panjab and afghanistan. Kind of the entire experience; interacting with the (terrible) uncivilized system and running constant wars, then civilizing in time to take part in the destruction of Africa. By the end the Indus and Kabul were smoking hellscapes of factories running unemployment in the tens of thousands, while I was shipping half a million troops into Europe to save Italy from some stupid war.

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 7, 2020

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

If you have that you just have to conquer your way to some better ones.

Yeah, the resource asymmetry is kind of a point of the Victoria series in general, if you are lacking a resource, you have to go and find it or import it, offering a way to change that in a controlled manner makes it so that you don't have to do imperialism to fund your industry which goes against the spirit of Victoria.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I mean there are events to swap RGOs that are semi-random (prolly added through a mod tho). There's an alpha rework of Victoria 2 (Age of Enlightenment) that goes from 1700-1815 that does something similar, in that it makes almost all the base RGO goods in the game "sustinance farming" and has all the base game RGOs as factories that are limited by a building in a given province that marks it as being able to produce a certain range of goods (agriculture, livestock, fishing, mining, lumber, exotic agriculture, etc...). It's interesting at the least, and having some flexibility on how you produce the entire value chain makes for some more engaging gameplay, wonkiness aside.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

karmicknight posted:

Yeah, the resource asymmetry is kind of a point of the Victoria series in general, if you are lacking a resource, you have to go and find it or import it, offering a way to change that in a controlled manner makes it so that you don't have to do imperialism to fund your industry which goes against the spirit of Victoria.

This was probably the intent of the design, but not actually how the design ends up. All of the resources you need to heavily industrialize just happen to exist in the countries which historically industrialized. The countries which historically were annexed in the European landgrabs, SE Asia and Africa, have RGOs centered around coffee, tropical wood, and late game rubber. Rubber is genuinely a scarce resource you need to compete for, but the others.. are just cash crops, no real benefit to getting them.

So resource asymmetry, the point or not, leads to frustrating gameplay that's just not very fun, not a fun gameplay loop of hunting for resources your country needs and adding to your sphere/annexing. (And don't get me started about the bugs surrounding SoI)

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I mean there are events to swap RGOs that are semi-random (prolly added through a mod tho). There's an alpha rework of Victoria 2 (Age of Enlightenment) that goes from 1700-1815 that does something similar, in that it makes almost all the base RGO goods in the game "sustinance farming" and has all the base game RGOs as factories that are limited by a building in a given province that marks it as being able to produce a certain range of goods (agriculture, livestock, fishing, mining, lumber, exotic agriculture, etc...). It's interesting at the least, and having some flexibility on how you produce the entire value chain makes for some more engaging gameplay, wonkiness aside.

This one strikes at the truth of the matter a lot more, I feel; Paradox abstracts substance farming away as grain RGOs, or some other poor RGO, when in fact, grain and poo poo like it was also a cash crop, especially during this period. Building up a local economy enough that it had the excess for an export economy was itself one of the major hurdles to industrializing, but when it happened, you would inevitably see a lot of the urbanization, rise of finance, and investments in industrial resources.

Beamed fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 8, 2020

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Risking a double post, but I think it's worth addressing that one of the Victoria period's tensions was the United Kingdom's economy. I don't mean in terms of industrial competition, but fundamentally, the UK oppressing India was key to it having a huge market to sell their shitloads of cloth to. They forced decommercialization of large swathes of the Orissa region, in fact, to ensure they'd maximize profits selling it here. Imperialism had nothing to do with gaining resources for industrialization as the goal; industrialization led to profits which led to demands for imperialism to sustain industrialization.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Some niche industries should also be added to be represented via the artisan system, such as the whale oil industry for an additional use of the fisheries, tanneries for making fabric out of livestock, and commercial scale hunting for furs that are suitable to be luxury clothing. Maybe limit them by having to be tied to the local province biome/RGO.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So in Vicky 2 vanilla/HPM, what should be your opening moves as a less immediatly powerful country like Brazil, Sweden and others be?

At what point should I be making factories and of what sort, are there any factories that are just universally good that you build even though you don't own any of the materials you feed into it?

How do I get things like better schooling and healthcare, it just feels like the population never gets angry enough to want to change, I'm not sure what to do for it to happen.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

In vanilla, you should start creating CB on some non-aligned country from day 1. Sokoto is a popular candidate, I think, cause they're in the middle of Africa and are easy to beat, they give you an easy place to start colonization. But they will be still available for a while, I think, so you should grab anyone close available. In a few years, all your neighbors will be allied or sphered and easy expansion will not be an option. With tech you need a Freedom of Trade and political theory if you don't have those and got enough populace to support more national focuses. Then early industrial tech is great (Medicine gives a lot of bonuses all around).

Factories: everyone wants liquor! It's also easy to get some colonial land with fruits for it, and you can build a glass factory in the same province for bonuses to output. Small arms/ammunition is also useful to have even for a relatively peaceful country.

To get people want those things you need to raise their consciousness and militancy. You might want to enrage people artificially by choosing outrageous options in events. To raise consciousness you need to raise literacy and pluralism. Clergy helps with literacy (but at the same time they lower consciousness) and political thought tech helps with early pluralism. Getting a lot of clergy helps with your people getting more literate and at some point, clergy won't be able to keep them unconscious.

Be prepared though: all those schools, pensions and healthcare are also a budget drain. You might want a lower populace that pays for your wars instead.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Get your bureaucrats to 1% for full admin efficiency, then start working on getting 4% clergy (research bonus and the cap for raising literacy) in every state.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think the way it's supposed to work is that you want a highly-educated population for the purposes of maximizing research and making sure that they can promote into Workers and Clerks, but being literate increases their Consciousness, and being a Clerk means wanting/needs more goods and a broader range of goods.

As you build-out your military, it's going to be increasingly expensive to maintain, which means you're going to want to raise taxes and impose tariffs, but high taxes and tariffs means people can't afford their daily needs/wants, and that's going to raise their Militancy.

Also, your factories aren't always going to be profitable, which means they're either going to close down, which creates unemployment, or you're going to have to subsidize them, which costs money which plays into needing higher taxes/tariffs.

Again, if you need to prop up your factories because the military needs their guns and ammo, that's money you're extracting from your people, which will cause them to become pissed off if they can't afford clothes.

Or the factories will just close down, which means people are out of a job, which means they either devolve back into farmers, or they can't because the farming RGOs are all full-up, which means they're going to be pissed off.

And having lots of pissed-off people is what generates the push for the implementation of reforms.

Of course, there's a couple of quirks with this:

* if your government type is... not very democratic (i.e. has a Senate, has limited voting rights, etc.), then you might be in a situation where people are really pissed off about the way things are, but you still can't implement any reforms because the people in power won't support/allow it

* even if you did implement reforms, the reforms themselves cost money, which takes another chunk out of your treasury, which makes it even more difficult to keep a healthy budget, which means you have to tax people all the more, which causes more dissent, and so on

Lastly, all of this takes a while to really get going, so don't sweat it if you can't have Brazil adopt the Meidner Plan by 1880. These problems are basically a lit fuse that's on a slow burn until the 1900s, which is why the late game turns into a cavalcade of communism and fascism as the contradictions of the game engine are unable to resolve themselves and nations devolve into torrents of angry rebels.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

gradenko_2000 posted:

Also, your factories aren't always going to be profitable, which means they're either going to close down, which creates unemployment, or you're going to have to subsidize them, which costs money which plays into needing higher taxes/tariffs.

And if you have wealthy educated middle class citizens they'd want some liberal party at the helm. And that party will set on fire an orphanage as soon as it stops being profitable. Or in game terms, you can't subsidize anything.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Beamed posted:

This was probably the intent of the design, but not actually how the design ends up. All of the resources you need to heavily industrialize just happen to exist in the countries which historically industrialized. The countries which historically were annexed in the European landgrabs, SE Asia and Africa, have RGOs centered around coffee, tropical wood, and late game rubber. Rubber is genuinely a scarce resource you need to compete for, but the others.. are just cash crops, no real benefit to getting them.

So resource asymmetry, the point or not, leads to frustrating gameplay that's just not very fun, not a fun gameplay loop of hunting for resources your country needs and adding to your sphere/annexing. (And don't get me started about the bugs surrounding SoI)

This one strikes at the truth of the matter a lot more, I feel; Paradox abstracts substance farming away as grain RGOs, or some other poor RGO, when in fact, grain and poo poo like it was also a cash crop, especially during this period. Building up a local economy enough that it had the excess for an export economy was itself one of the major hurdles to industrializing, but when it happened, you would inevitably see a lot of the urbanization, rise of finance, and investments in industrial resources.
Yeah, I really don't think the current approach is a great solution for the game. The most fair and sensible approach would probably be to have a generic "Subsistence Living" RGO that cover much of the globe, with any given province having predefined RGOs it can be developed into if the country controlling it has the right tech. Those potential RGOs could work sorta like artisans to give the country a trickle of those resources even if that particular RGO is not developed.

In terms of how that'd effect gameplay, it'd just mean that the currently resource screwed areas like South America would be able to create stronger domestic industry, that would then put them into direct competition with European state over the resources of for example Africa. It wouldn't change the base logic of the game, it would just make it so the competition for resources would be for ones that a country couldn't easily extract at home.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So are there any surprisingly useful techs that you should get that doesn't seem that good until after you get it?

What causes immigration anyways and how do i get them to come to my country instead or is that only really going to happen for North/South America?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Koorisch posted:

So are there any surprisingly useful techs that you should get that doesn't seem that good until after you get it?

What causes immigration anyways and how do i get them to come to my country instead or is that only really going to happen for North/South America?

Unmodded it almost entirely comes down to being in the Americas. The modifier is like +300%, vs. adjustments of maybe 5-10% for any other factors.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Is there a way to force the US Civil war to fire really early?

It's the way to get a really powerful early American empire, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

You just have to raise pop consciousness in both slave states and free states, it doesn’t have to be by any particular method. Then events will start firing that will set off the US CW.

I think technically you also need a high percentage of liberals in the upper house, but that should happen anyway as a result of high consciousness.

I don’t think there are any huge benefits to an early civil war other than not having to worry about it anymore (and getting rid of the event spam).

e: on your other question, social and political reforms give slight buffs to immigrant attraction. And the USA gets a few decisions and events (I’m thinking The Homestead Act and the Statue of Liberty event) that give ridiculous buffs to immigrant attraction and assimilation, but those just become available after a certain year and can’t be sped up.

disjoe fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 10, 2020