Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Also, does it have a share function or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Fulchrum posted:

Also, does it have a share function or not?

at launch, for taking screenshots.

saving video will come later.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Cojawfee posted:

Does this mean anything? Even if Reggie knows what people want, does NoJ even listen?

it sounds like boilerplate corporate "nope" speak to me

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

KingSlime posted:

it sounds like boilerplate corporate "nope" speak to me

I choose to remain foolishly optimistic

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
Rough draft of the Japan 2017 Nintendo Switch experience schedule (https://www.nintendo.co.jp/switch/experience.html) for today (1/14)

• 10:30~11:00 - Game Music Live by Nintendo Special Rock Band
    Broadcasting rock arrangements of Nintendo game music

• 11:30-12:10 - Introduction stage
    with Shinya Arino, Mikako Komatsu, Yoshiaki Koizumi (Nintendo Switch producer), Kouichi Kawamoto (Nintendo Switch director)
    TV personality Arino and voice atress Komatsu come together for a presentation of the new "Nintendo Switch".

• 12:35-13:00 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Demo stage
    with Shinya Arino, Mikako Komatsu, The Touch (Kazuya, Takuya)
    Our guests demo the new features of the Nintendo Switch game Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

• 13:15-13:45 - Super Mario Odyssey stage
    with Yoshiaki Koizumi (Super Mario Odyssey producer), Kenta Motokura (Super Mario Odyssey director)
    Producer and director explain concepts and features of the game.

• 14:05-14:35 - Snipperclips - Cut it out, together! demo stage
    with Shinya Arino, Mikako Komatsu, The Touch (Kazuya, Takuya)
    Our guests demo the new features of the Nintendo Switch game Snipperclips - Cut it out, together!

• 14:55-15:40 - The Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild introduction stage
    with Ruriko Aoki, Hidemaro Fujibayashi (LoZ: BotW director)
    We introduce the game while voice atress Ruriko Aoki tries it out.

• 16:20-17:00 - Game Music Live by Nintendo Special Rock Band
    Broadcasting rock arrangements of Nintendo game music

Booth reports in between events
All times are Japan time zone

All done!

Anaxite fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 14, 2017

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Lemming posted:

I choose to remain foolishly optimistic

Hey I'm cool with that, maybe in a year or two Switch will actually be really cool and a solid alternative to handhelds in the home, it'd be sweet to have a little stockpile of good first party titles

For now I can only laugh cynically

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Arino owns but who the hell dressed him?

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

His reaction when he cuts the grass was so cute!
...and of course a Game Over so soon.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

s.i.r.e. posted:

he should be dressed in a lab coat and whatever the hell he found in his closet that day

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I've been thinking about it, and no way will a purchase this console. At least for a long hall unless it dramatically turns around. Thinking of it, I may be done with consoles in general.

Consoles have become essentially low end PCs with none of the benefits.
- Over priced revisioned hardware
- Huge patches with snail speed bandwidth
- Mediocre online services THAT I HAVE TO PAY FOR
- Terrible UIs
- Expensive accessories

the list just goes on and on.

Say what you want about Nintendo, but there is a reason why PC gamers tend to have a soft spot for their systems. Because they actually offer a different experience. People can hate on their "gimmicky" games and controls but at least these are things that I can't find on my PC. And even for their more traditional games they tend to be of genres that aren't usually found on PC. There aren't too many PC games like Splatoon, Smash, Bayonetta, Kirby and the Ranbow Curse, and Super Mario 3D World. This goes double for their handhelds with games like Phoenix Wright and Kid Icarus: Uprising. Sure Sony fans can list games like Bloodbourne and Drive Club on their "list wars", but these types of titles aren't rare on the PC and are honestly lacking compared to other games (yes Bloodbourne is lacking). I've defended the Wii and even Wii U because despite their short comings, they still offered plenty of fun experiences that I was not able to get on my PC. And you could laugh at their gimmicks, but they were pretty useful at times.
However, while the Switch seems to keep in line with these unique experiences, it has forgotten everything else. The system is very steep in price after buying the console ($300), and the mandatory accessories (1 extra controller $80, 1 charge unit $30, online play $50?). And while I do like their games, they have gotten ridiculous with the droughts.
Between Nintendo constantly "nintendoing" it up. Sony turning the PS4 to a "not a PC, but it's a PC and we have exclusives" and Microsoft literally turning the Xbox One to a PC as every game is avaliable on both platforms I have zero reason to purchase a console. Truth be told if Xenoblade 2 delivers, I will buy a Switch JUST for that game. Then I'll play No More Heroes 3 and Shin Megami Tensei V. Then I'll sell it.
I find that to be the best way to handle consoles personally. Buy one with all the exclusives you want. Play them for a couple of weeks, then sell everything.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The guy from Game Center CX is there sweet

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Willias posted:

Still thinking of this thing as a 3DS upgrade where Nintendo said "gently caress it" to main consoles after the failure of the Wii U.

Yay a USD 300 handheld with 1 screen (so I get a gimped Etrian Odyssey experience if I ever do get one for it) and a 3 hour battery life.

Remember how both the Vita and 3DS cratered at USd 250 price points?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

punk rebel ecks posted:

I've been thinking about it, and no way will a purchase this console. At least for a long hall unless it dramatically turns around. Thinking of it, I may be done with consoles in general.

Consoles have become essentially low end PCs with none of the benefits.
- Over priced revisioned hardware
- Huge patches with snail speed bandwidth
- Mediocre online services THAT I HAVE TO PAY FOR
- Terrible UIs
- Expensive accessories

the list just goes on and on.

Say what you want about Nintendo, but there is a reason why PC gamers tend to have a soft spot for their systems. Because they actually offer a different experience. People can hate on their "gimmicky" games and controls but at least these are things that I can't find on my PC. And even for their more traditional games they tend to be of genres that aren't usually found on PC. There aren't too many PC games like Splatoon, Smash, Bayonetta, Kirby and the Ranbow Curse, and Super Mario 3D World. This goes double for their handhelds with games like Phoenix Wright and Kid Icarus: Uprising. Sure Sony fans can list games like Bloodbourne and Drive Club on their "list wars", but these types of titles aren't rare on the PC and are honestly lacking compared to other games (yes Bloodbourne is lacking). I've defended the Wii and even Wii U because despite their short comings, they still offered plenty of fun experiences that I was not able to get on my PC. And you could laugh at their gimmicks, but they were pretty useful at times.
However, while the Switch seems to keep in line with these unique experiences, it has forgotten everything else. The system is very steep in price after buying the console ($300), and the mandatory accessories (1 extra controller $80, 1 charge unit $30, online play $50?). And while I do like their games, they have gotten ridiculous with the droughts.
Between Nintendo constantly "nintendoing" it up. Sony turning the PS4 to a "not a PC, but it's a PC and we have exclusives" and Microsoft literally turning the Xbox One to a PC as every game is avaliable on both platforms I have zero reason to purchase a console. Truth be told if Xenoblade 2 delivers, I will buy a Switch JUST for that game. Then I'll play No More Heroes 3 and Shin Megami Tensei V. Then I'll sell it.
I find that to be the best way to handle consoles personally. Buy one with all the exclusives you want. Play them for a couple of weeks, then sell everything.

There will probably be a Switch Emulator in 2 years or so anyway, don't even bother.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Anaxite posted:

May have been posted already, but Nintendo Japan is streaming another Switch event right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4YrHReUh50

e: with a bunch of live music. Splatoon music etc

Was that the Gamecenter CX (Retro Game Master) guy that died less than a minute into starting Breath of the Wild?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
So like, if I trade my Wii U for a Switch, will my Nintendo ID keep a record of my virtual console purchases? It's be nice to redownload them on the Switch.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Mister Macys posted:

Was that the Gamecenter CX (Retro Game Master) guy that died less than a minute into starting Breath of the Wild?

Yep. Arino is there for three of the presentations.

Apparently there's a sleep button on the top. Neat.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Yay a USD 300 handheld with 1 screen (so I get a gimped Etrian Odyssey experience if I ever do get one for it) and a 3 hour battery life.

Remember how both the Vita and 3DS cratered at USd 250 price points?

hey, do i need to point out that Nintendo apparently still has some lessons to learn? I would hope not.

e: and New 3DS XL units still sell for $200 a pop.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Pureauthor posted:

how long do you think the 3DS battery life is

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

s.i.r.e. posted:

There will probably be a Switch Emulator in 2 years or so anyway, don't even bother.

To be fair, emulation tends to be very sloppy until the emulator is very matured.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Coq au Nandos posted:

So like, if I trade my Wii U for a Switch, will my Nintendo ID keep a record of my virtual console purchases? It's be nice to redownload them on the Switch.
There is no way they aren't recharging for Virtual Console stuff. The best you'd get for your situation is a sizeable discount on the VC games you want again.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Coq au Nandos posted:

Probably not but we don't know. Just keep it. I have a feeling Wii Us will retain value as they're starting to disappear.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

TFRazorsaw posted:

how long do you think the 3DS battery life is

3DS battery life is poo poo too.

At least this thing has USB-C charging so I can use a power brick.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

s.i.r.e. posted:

Switch is basically running on android hardware anyway so I doubt it would be a year, poo poo even less. 4K Mario Oddysey is gonna be off the chains

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

punk rebel ecks posted:

To be fair, emulation tends to be very sloppy until the emulator is very matured.

True, but the Wii U emulator is already pretty drat playable and it hasn't been in development for that long, also:

Penpal posted:

Switch is basically running on android hardware anyway so I doubt it would be a year, poo poo even less. 4K Mario Oddysey is gonna be off the chains

This.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Pureauthor posted:

3DS battery life is poo poo too.

At least this thing has USB-C charging so I can use a power brick.

given the comparison was to the 3DS to begin with I felt it relevant.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So this samurai sword catching game is different. Maybe 1,2,Switch is more versatile than it seemed? The tech's novel but I dunno, it feels like a really weird gimmick.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

This is more or less how I feel these days. The more of us that hop to PC, the more games that get released on it, too!

But yeah the revisioned hardware bit this gen is extremely off-putting, may as well just go balls out and build a solid rig (which I did). Much easier to revise and while PC gaming has its hiccups, it's a much smoother experience than it ever was. Whereas consoles now requires patches too and all that bullshit, it's all the same but in a crappier package

I will forever have a soft spot for handheld consoles however

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So this samurai sword catching game is different. Maybe 1,2,Switch is more versatile than it seemed? The tech's novel but I dunno, it feels like a really weird gimmick.

It's still $50 for a reflex tester though. I love the idea, but jesus gently caress, that price...

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I think I may sell my PS4 after Persona 5 too. I was thinking of keeping it for fighting games, but PC is getting fighting games as well. The ports tend to be pretty good too with the same timing so I don't drop my combos.

s.i.r.e. posted:

True, but the Wii U emulator is already pretty drat playable and it hasn't been in development for that long, also:

This.

To be fair No More Heroes without motion controls is a sin.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Macys posted:

It's still $50 for a reflex tester though. I love the idea, but jesus gently caress, that price...

Yeah I will never purchase that game, lol. I'd buy Arms for $20 maybe.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I've gone through two PS4's and may get a third for Nioh, DQ Builders, and P5 but yeah last time as soon as I was done with the exclusives it just felt like a slower, louder and more limited PC.

If you resell em really quick it ends up being a pretty cheap rental so I concur with your points mister punk rebel ecks

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug

SeANMcBAY posted:

Probably not but we don't know. Just keep it. I have a feeling Wii Us will retain value as they're starting to disappear.

The thing I'm most worried about is what if something happens to my Wiiu gamepad in a couple years? They're already expensive as hell now.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Shouldn't gamestop preorder receipts have the date of release printed on them? Can't find it in mine

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't think I'd want to play 1 2 Switch but I find watching people play it ridiculously entertaining

Maybe that's why it exists

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

punk rebel ecks posted:

To be fair No More Heroes without motion controls is a sin.

Then play it with motion controls? This is still possible via emulation.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

I don't think I'd want to play 1 2 Switch but I find watching people play it ridiculously entertaining

Maybe that's why it exists

I agree. some great mini game ideas for getting drunk.

maybe thats why its so expensive, its made for adults in mind :v: :cheers:

Willias
Sep 3, 2008
Another Zelda Wii U/Switch comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJXpZLLebLg

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Mister Macys posted:

I agree. some great mini game ideas for getting drunk.

maybe thats why its so expensive, its made for adults in mind :v: :cheers:

and with all the action being off the TV, you don't have to worry about Nintendo content IDing it.

WaitsUp
Sep 19, 2005
I used to be a deli sandwich
Any word on when Dragon Quest Heroes is coming out in North America?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

WaitsUp posted:

Any word on when Dragon Quest Heroes is coming out in North America?

The first one has already been out for a while

• Locked thread