Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tmm3k
Jul 19, 2006

Quotey posted:

It’s great. Other tips are you can append a civ to only find things in their borders (eg coal Gran Colombia) and search for unbuilt wonders to check if a civ has started it on a visible tile.

Holy crap, I had no idea. Thanks!

Edit: worst page snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

How do I do that on Switch?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

That change to pagodas is pretty good because it was pretty hard to get diplomatic favor outside of city-state suzerainity. Of course, if you're a massive conquering dick, your diplomatic favor starts to plummet anyway, haha...

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

How does war work with trade deals for GPT work currently? If I’m planning to Declare war on Eleanor of Aquitaine in a turn or two anyway, should I buy up all her great works that she’ll sell me for GPT with the assumption payments stop immediately but I keep the stuff. Or will the works be in her cities later regardless so it’s barely worth the effort, assuming I win.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

GPT deals get terminated if you start a war, but you keep the stuff you traded for.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
If I turn off Religions victory, do I gain anything by not bothering with a religion, keeping my own cities my own faith/converting other countries cities?

I just got my first win via religion, but boy was it tiring.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Comstar posted:

If I turn off Religions victory, do I gain anything by not bothering with a religion, keeping my own cities my own faith/converting other countries cities?

I just got my first win via religion, but boy was it tiring.

all the affects of the religion are still in play except for the victory condition. you still get the benefits from whatever religious beliefs you take (eg culture from followers). it will still affect loyalty pressure in cities of civs who found a religion. and will generate grievances if you try to convert etc. you can still use faith generation for great people, rock bands, etc.

in most non religious games you benefit from not getting a religion by using those resources to get something useful instead. though that's true whether religious victory is on or off.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Pro tip for people like me who burn out around half way through a game: try starting in the medieval era or later. It means that you snowball less by the modern era and things are a bit more exciting and even until the game’s end, and it takes less long. Had an especially fun earth TSL game with the USA starting in the Renaissance era, it’s a bit of a unique situation and it does away with the odd feeling of playing ancient era USA.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Well I was about to post and say that I really hate solar flares in Apocalypse mode, but like 2 turns later a comet struck and destroyed one my cities :mad:

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So after the Sweden game I rolled to an easy science win with the Cree and now I've brought the difficulty up to Prince and am playing Shaka. I don't really know what's in the world because even though my start was amazing I started off in the center of the mainland and the resources on the coast were extremely slim so I haven't been able to get out there and meet the other civs. I set my sights on my closest/only neighbor, Spain. But then he converted my cities (I was too busy to found my own religion this game) and now he's my friend and I feel guilty about destroying him.

Also I was about to talk about how my Impi seemed to have an extremely narrow window in terms of usability but I come here and you're already talking about that sort of thing.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
My tendency to prioritize science techs and culture civics I already have the boost for has led me to not actually be able to build an Impi when I played the Zulus because you can research Pike and Shot without having the tech for Impi/Pikemen

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Like I said, you really have to plan around UUs or you'll miss the advantage of having them. For Impi if you time it right you should be able to get Mercenaries too, so you can get Impi Corps for only 50 production more than a solitary Pikeman with cheaper maintenance cost and better flanking bonuses. Of course, I never build Pikemen anyway...

Still, Ancient UUs are clearly the best. Like the Hul'che are loving awesome because archers are always an absolutely crucial part of any game because of barbs alone, so any bonuses there are going to be felt more strongly.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

is there an easy way to see everything an already built wonder does? coming back to the game because it's great for working from home. are the expansions must have like they were for 5?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Not sure, but I think you can see it hovering over the wonder on that city tab where all buildings are show

As for the expansions, I think they are both great and improve the game, but arent really must have

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

CharlesThunder posted:

is there an easy way to see everything an already built wonder does? coming back to the game because it's great for working from home. are the expansions must have like they were for 5?

easiest - civilopaedia. otherwise the city screen where the wonder is built as mentioned. or open map tacks and mouse over the particular wonder.

gathering storm is def worth getting as that includes all the mechanics of rise and fall and improves the game. the rest are basically just civ packs after that.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

HappyCamperGL posted:

gathering storm is def worth getting as that includes all the mechanics of rise and fall and improves the game. the rest are basically just civ packs after that.

I'd agree with this - I never played IV, but both Civ V and VI benefited massively from the improvements of the major expansions. If you wait for sales, you can find both Gathering Storm and Rise & Fall fairly cheap. You just missed the Steam sale unfortunately, but they'll go on sale again.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Trying to win a game on King mode. Any general tips to winning the space race before an AI wins the culture wars? I see China rapidly picking up tourists while I'm still in the Atomic era.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

LiterallyATomato posted:

Trying to win a game on King mode. Any general tips to winning the space race before an AI wins the culture wars? I see China rapidly picking up tourists while I'm still in the Atomic era.

A couple of methods.

1) out race them by being super efficient.
2) build a defensive bulwark of your own culture by building a handful of theater squares / wonders and keeping them up to date. You can also trade or steal for great works if you need them. Tourism is kind of “offense” culture currency and culture is “defense” currency so if you stay near them in output you should be fine and so far ahead of them in science that you don’t have to worry about some of the Techs that multiply tourism output
3) If they want tourists to come see their art and wonders it will only work if they aren’t burning rubble...

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Don't forget there's a civic in Cold War (I think) that turns off Rock Bands in case they send those your way. I don't think that's happened to me, doesn't mean it's impossible. Not to mention - open borders trade routes, having the same government, and having an alliance all add to their tourism bonus against you.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Kinda wish there were different sizes of the TSL map available...

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Something I like about Civ VI is that every Civ has a different ideal tech order. Almost every civilization in V has an optimal path of Civil Service -> Education -> Radio -> Plastics.

Organic Lube User posted:

Kinda wish there were different sizes of the TSL map available...

Yet Not Another Earth Map Pack has a bigger one.

FreeMars
Mar 22, 2011
Moda's map pack (or something like that) has big true start maps and some focused on specific regions

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Chamale posted:

Something I like about Civ VI is that every Civ has a different ideal tech order. Almost every civilization in V has an optimal path of Civil Service -> Education -> Radio -> Plastics.

This is true. They mixed things up sufficiently in Civ VI that you can have totally different priorities and playstyles between factions, which I love. No more of that "gotta always take these particular civics in this order for maximum optimization" because optimaziton is different for every civ. Which may be why civics are now cards you slot into slots instead of a skill tree like in V. (Though making culture a skill tree was a novel idea.)

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Just started playing for the first time and despite being okay, if not spectacular, at other titles in the franchise I find myself getting my teeth kicked in. I can't really ask for specific advice but I was just curious if there's anything like a very detailed early game guide on how to build your initial economy and not get owned by barbarian rushes in the process?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Jossar posted:

Just started playing for the first time and despite being okay, if not spectacular, at other titles in the franchise I find myself getting my teeth kicked in. I can't really ask for specific advice but I was just curious if there's anything like a very detailed early game guide on how to build your initial economy and not get owned by barbarian rushes in the process?

Go check out Potato McWhiskey's YouTube channel, he has a lot of in-depth strategy videos which explain the thought processes you should have

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

The Glumslinger posted:

Go check out Potato McWhiskey's YouTube channel, he has a lot of in-depth strategy videos which explain the thought processes you should have

Seconding this, especially his new series he's just put up this week basically going turn by turn explaining every decision ad nauseum

I typically play on immortal/diety at a decent pace but even I learned some cool tricks from this so far

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Yeah he has a video that is just 60 minutes of the first turn - why he is moving where he is, where he is thinking about settling a city, what sort of resources he can get early, where districts can go later. After doing 10 or 20 games a lot of these things become kind of second nature and you can just see a coastal tile and the resources near it or a mountain range and think "oh there's a good harbor / campus spot" but he slows it down and talks it all out.

He also gets into everything else like expanding, how to fight the AI, science, offensive wars, in later videos. It's great and even as a longtime player who can win on emperor pretty easily I found some of the tips very helpful!

The first video is here and will link into the others in the playlist.

Note how by moving his settler one tile he has not only gotten a much better 2-3 pop production boost by making his inner ring (six surrounding tiles you get for free on settling) more efficient but also sets himself up for an excellent harbor, and doesn't even lose a turn because you can move and settle. Moving your settler to a better spot 0-1 moves away is almost always a good idea. He preserves the forest and the hill he would have originally settled on (a quirk of the game's production for the city center makes it advantageous to settle on a plains hill but punishes you for settling on a grassland hill by "forcing" the city towards 2 food / 1 production) and gets a coastal city for a better harbor.

edit: there are so many little nuances about playing the game that you come to understand as you play but often don't think to comment, but they can snowball your power level massively. Things like the ideal way to clear a barb camp with a fresh warrior, or how city defenses scale to your highest level ranged unit, or how garrisoning a melee unit ups city strength more but a ranged unit is more useful as it allows more attacks. Things like saving easy villages for scouts for exp or how to time certain events to ensure you're in a golden age or how housing is more important than food for growth. There are so many little details you pick up that allow you to snowball faster that knowing a handful of them can easily mean an easy victory or a slog at mid to high difficulties.

Also just watched some of the ending and it's pretty hilarious. apocalypse mode comes and he had left Rome with just their capital after taking the rest of their cities but didn't want to wipe them out so a meteor does it for them. Also Liang in his capital gets neutralized RIGHT as a comet hits next door, amazing (would Liang have prevented that? I think so.)

Tom Tucker fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 11, 2020

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Went back and tried to play things with an overpowered early game civilization (not to go for an early wipe but just feel more comfortable getting my feet wet with the basic concepts) and won on Prince with a science victory.

Gonna follow everyone's advice and check out this guy though, it was way too long and i'm sure actually knowing what you're doing can save you at least a little bit from a 410 turn slogfest.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
After playing at online speed forever, I'm trying a huge continents and islands map on marathon (emperor difficulty). Weird being 500 turns in and Renaissance tech still being viable

Also got me being much more observant to long term planning

Also also Eleanor of France getting on my nerves with me not able to conquer and hold her cities before she can flip them back. About to just start razing them, grievances be damned

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 11, 2020

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Jossar posted:

Gonna follow everyone's advice and check out this guy though, it was way too long and i'm sure actually knowing what you're doing can save you at least a little bit from a 410 turn slogfest.

Late game is generally a slog regardless (either bogged down with too much stuff to do or 25 turns of basically waiting) but I regularly finish sub 300 turns, so there's hope for sure

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

The Glumslinger posted:

Is there anywhere I can read this? I tried to watch the 60 minute "where to play turn 1" video but it went for way too long.

just a kazoo
Mar 7, 2018

Comstar posted:

Is there anywhere I can read this? I tried to watch the 60 minute "where to play turn 1" video but it went for way too long.

brother this is CIVILIZATION. you gave up your right to free time when you bought the game

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well, I went to war in my latest Civilization game as a hard-conquering Gran Colombia and while you do generate some grievances for taking cities, of course, you don't necessarily want to eliminate enemy factions entirely (unless you want to for a good Era Score) because that generates grievances with everyone who knew them. But I was Suzerain with like five different powerful city-states surrounding the last enemy city and THEY destroyed it, so they took the heat off me. Haha.

Was the Diplomatic Favor malus for conquering capitals always a thing? I feel it's new, like a patch or something. But it makes sense. Good way to reward peaceful players who want to stick to the UN. Someone who's conquered half the world should not get a shot at the Nobel Peace Prize.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 12, 2020

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Speedball posted:

Was the Diplomatic Favor malus for conquering capitals always a thing? I feel it's new, like a patch or something. But it makes sense. Good way to reward peaceful players who want to stick to the UN. Someone who's conquered half the world should not get a shot at the Nobel Peace Prize.

introduced in the may patch.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I just saw apparently the Ethiopia pack is dropping tomorrow? Have I missed the info on them/secret societies or is that just a complete surprise?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Comstar posted:

Having watched the whole series, let’s see if I can try and summarize the basic concepts down for the first turn. Warning, there may be things that i'm poorly explaining here because I don't know what's the perfect amount of focus.

Pre-Game/Civilization Select

Your build order is mostly set at the start. Mostly. Nevertheless, It's important to figure out what you’re going with because the most important thing here is that the civilization serves as a focus/lens for how you want to plan out your strategy. In the series, Potato went with Arabs so he started contemplating two things:

1 - What would be necessary tech-wise if he wanted to rush their unique unit/unique buildings.
2 – How to take advantage of the specific civilization passive bonuses. Arabs are a Science focused civilization that happens to be supported by Faith. So Potato already knew that once he hit the map he’d need to try and orient things towards building an effective engine to get a Campus up ASAP and would need to eventually worry about a Religion, but that it could be delayed for a long while while he got the rest of the engine up.

First Turn – City Settlement

Try and maximize tile yield surrounding your city while settling on a spot that still has fresh water.

Fresh water (Lake/River/Oasis) gives max housing of 5, Coasts 3, other spots 2. And you really don’t want to run out of housing early because it limits your early settlement growth from there not being physically enough room and possibly running into problems with resource multipliers running out sooner.

Surrounding tile yield is supremely important, to the point where Potato ranked 4 yield tiles much higher than 2-3 yield tiles. This is because 2 yield food tiles pay for a worker so they are naturally stagnant in the long run without improvements and you want surplus so you can grow. You can get away with production tiles that aren’t as food heavy on the assumption that you can interchange food somewhere, but you might need to be careful if everything’s production heavy. 1-2 lousy yield tiles are okay because you can mark those for an early District placement.

If you can get away with it, settle on top of a resource because the city will automatically work the resource. But apart from that, you have to be careful about settling the city itself on a naturally productive spot – city centers have default values based on tile type and those can override the value of the spot you settle on and potentially deny you the ability to do something like clear a woods later for extra production. In a lot of cases you might prefer finding the most generic tile spot of you can get of an okay type like Plains or Grassland - as long as its surrounding tiles are high yield.

The video itself starts getting a little specific at this point. Potato was playing with expansions and so was able to settle next to an active volcano which would boost the productivity of some spots when it erupted. Additionally he was next to a Reef water tile that could give his starting campus a bonus in the future. The sum totality of this is you want to find as perfect a spot as possible. You can move and settle on the same turn so if you can find a better spot turn 1, do it. You can probably afford Turn 2 but you really don't want to be dilly-dallying for too long.

You also want to be able to plan out your high priority Districts right before you put the settler down, making sure to get as high adjacency bonus for the district as possible, usually +3 adjacency or better. Because Potato was going for a science victory, the first thing he did was put down pins to mark where he wanted to put the Campus based on natural adjacency bonuses, a harbor tile next to the campus/city center to provide another adjacency bonus, and a Wonder that he believed to be useful for science victories (The Mausoleum Halicarnassus, which boosts number of times certain Great People can activate their abilities). Most other playstyles probably don’t want the Campus down ASAP, but you usually want at least one kind of money making district (Commercial/Harbor) and at least one other (like say, an Industrial).

At this point roughly 15/20 minutes into the video you finally put down the settler.

First Turn – Build Order/Tech

From your first city, you build a scout. The potential return on investment from being able to explore tribal villages ASAP is better than anything else you can get this early on.

There’s only one starting civic, Code of Laws so nothing can be done to change it. When it resolves in a few turns, plan to get the anti-Barbarian military policy and the Production economic policy.

Animal Husbandry is the preferred first turn research because it can reveal Horses, which are a large boost in production and food if you find them, along with the military value in letting you build horse based units later.

Of course, all of this is marked with a massive asterisk: some strategies want to bum rush a monument so they can get an early wonder/government. If you’re trying to rush for a religion, then you’re beelining for the Faith based economic policy and the techs that lead to Astrology so you can set up a Pantheon. Certain civilizations need Builders ASAP and some war heavy ones want to get unique military units out even if there’s no immediate threat. Revise all advice as needed.

First Turn – Movement

Check to see if there’s any physical clues as to where you are, like seeing the edge of the map or the fact that you’re on a peninsula. Take note of this – barbarians apparently like to spawn at the edges of the world. Send off your first warrior to scout in the most useful direction based on the information that you’ve gathered, or more generally in a semi-circle/circle around your base. The first warrior is generally looking for signs of immediate problems like barbs/other player and maybe a good site for future cities. He wants to move onto flat land or hills next to flat land for maximum visibility. You can go a decent number of tiles outwards but eventually the warrior wants to retreat back and let scouts do the job instead.

Not First Turn – Barbarians & Future Settlements

Okay so this isn’t literally first turn info, but it’s still part of the video and it’s the first meaningful thing that shows up that you can expect no matter what. In Potato’s case he also had to deal with an early neighbor but this post is kind of getting long.

If Barbarians show up, you have two objectives – make sure they don’t know where you live and take down their spawn camp as quickly as possible. For enemy scouts, you need to retreat your own scouts back to the path towards your settlement and use their zone of control to discourage Barbarian scouts from closing in and push them back into the fog of war. Eventually you can use your scouts to destroy them, but otherwise you’re just on defense.

As for the camp, a starting warrior can destroy the camp if it’s limited to one unit and maybe a single scout, if you punch the camp, fortify to heal up, and then whack it again after you’ve gotten the anti-Barbarian military policy.

The advice given was mostly preventative and if things spiral out of control they can get really bad early on. This happens to me a lot so far and I defer to the advice of actually experienced players on how to deal with it.

You want your first Settler out the gate really fast. Not literally the first thing after the Scout’s done fast, but 1-2 builds afterwards. The next city generally wants to be in a good spot, as close to the edge of the initial city’s loyalty bonuses as possible, that extends the outwards push of your development as much as possible without getting immediately smashed open by an enemy. Most humans are probably just as bad off as you are at this point, but high level AI and Barbs will rip you a new one if you’re not constantly vigilant.

From here on out, I leave you to the videos or your own personal experience.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 12, 2020

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

I just saw apparently the Ethiopia pack is dropping tomorrow? Have I missed the info on them/secret societies or is that just a complete surprise?

I thought we're just getting the info tomorrow and its dropping (assumingly) later in the week?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I thought we're just getting the info tomorrow and its dropping (assumingly) later in the week?

that could be it then yea, I coulda sworn the tweet was 'available the 13th' but maybe I'm just a dumb, it'd be real weird of them to not even do a leader preview for it.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It's the wording of the tweet, I'll wager.
https://twitter.com/CivGame/status/1281634552771821568
It's saying that you can learn about Ethiopia on the 13th, and that Ethiopia is the next piece of content of the Pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
okay there it is yea, I was misreading it and thinking I somehow missed a stream link or something.

Well cool then, I hope we find out about secret societies too, I like Apocalypse Mode as a variant so hopefully that'll add some fun diplomatic chaos like Apocalypse added physical chaos.