Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Verranicus posted:

Genji does not immobilize himself.

Yes, I know, I wasn't talking about Genji.

He was already covered by "reflects" before I went on to discuss another, similar mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Ravenfood posted:

e: Of course my first Olympic skin is for Widow, who I already had a good skin for and also never play because I am very bad at clicking on heads.

I've got the same problem. I love the skin, but goddamn am I a bad Widowmaker.

All i want are the Zarya and Mercy skins. I like them. I'm good with them. Please Blizz.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Hace posted:

Genji is very balanced and easy to counter though??

He probably could have 2 seconds chopped off his ult and be much more reasonable tbh

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Macaluso posted:

KOTH picks can surprise you sometimes though!

I was like, there's no way. Widowmaker is going to contribute nothing. Ana is going to get killed constantly, easily. Tracer is going to get herself killed really easily too. This just seemed like a really unconventional team for KOTH. It turned out to be one of the easiest KOTH games I've experienced.

That's not a bad team at all. Roadhog and D.Va are difficult to kill and draw a lot of attention, freeing up your Junkrat and Tracer. Widowmaker should be going at least 1 for 1 -- and at worst she's drawing off someone from the enemy team to go deal with her instead of helping to burn Roadhog and D.Va down.

And I think this is the crucial part, Ana is an excellent tank healer. You can't really miss either of these two tanks and she has the best throughput in the game. Ana heals for 75 hp/sec if you nail every shot and can amplify that even further with jarate. Mercy heals for 50.

If your team is running two or three tanks then you should strongly consider picking Ana.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Honestly, if we're talking Genji nerfs, he could stand to lose the ridiculous range of his ult melee attacks. His health should also probably be dropped to 150 like Tracer since even a bad Genji is every bit as mobile as she is and a good one makes her irrelevant outside of KOTH contest spam.

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.
I'm blind and can't find the Canada flag player icon. Please send help.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Canemacar posted:

Honestly, if we're talking Genji nerfs, he could stand to lose the ridiculous range of his ult melee attacks. His health should also probably be dropped to 150 like Tracer since even a bad Genji is every bit as mobile as she is and a good one makes her irrelevant outside of KOTH contest spam.
Yes. At the very least he shouldn't be able to kill you if you're not actually visible on his screen. It is bizarre to see a kill-cam where the Genji swipes at thin air and oops you're dead anyway. (This probably shouldn't be considered a nerf so much as a bug fix.)

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
theres no canada hero so we don't get a flag. :( bummer

or, in oforums terms: blizzard this is a SLAP IN THE FACE please stop TREATING us like SECOND CLASS CITIZENS

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
I'd like to see annoying genjis have to worry about the same instant-death threats as tracer with 150 health, but I'm worried about the overall impact a nerf would have because you know all the weeabos will leave him and slam pick hanzo

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Mei isn't canadian anymore because there's a 15% tax.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Soothing Vapors posted:

or, in oforums terms: blizzard this is a SLAP IN THE FACE please stop TREATING us like SECOND CLASS CITIZENS

Is it the same guy who was slapped in the face Mr Gaz?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
THe only people who think Genji is fine are genji mains or people who play with a genji main

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Stupid question, but when I get killed by Hanzo the kill cam will often have him aimed a good 5 degrees away from where I am, but when I tried him I land a shot 5 inches in front of a guy and it plinks off the wall. Is this some visual effect of lag in the replay, or does he have some aim-assist factor that I don't know how to use? On PC if that matters.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

I'd like to see annoying genjis have to worry about the same instant-death threats as tracer with 150 health, but I'm worried about the overall impact a nerf would have because you know all the weeabos will leave him and slam pick hanzo

I hate to tell you this but this already happens and will continue to happen as long as Hanzo remains in the game.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Bruceski posted:

Stupid question, but when I get killed by Hanzo the kill cam will often have him aimed a good 5 degrees away from where I am, but when I tried him I land a shot 5 inches in front of a guy and it plinks off the wall. Is this some visual effect of lag in the replay, or does he have some aim-assist factor that I don't know how to use? On PC if that matters.

Replay fidelity is imperfect, yeah.

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Slap a lumberjack skin on Genji and he becomes a de facto Canadian. Pretty sure Genji is Canadian anyway.

Sword -> Axe
Small sword -> Hatchet
Ninja stars -> Saw blades
Robot suit -> Plaid shirt + Jeans + Boots + Tuque

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Just a word of caution: If you manage to to Lucioball and swap heroes, do NOT pop your ult if you land on roadhog. drat thing nearly crashed the game instance.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah the ranking baffles me. I go from 55 to 50 and think "Ok i guess thi sis my natural state" and then I'll kick rear end and go up to 55 again. What the hell. It seems less a measure of your ability or skill and more a lottery on making sure everyone else has comparable skill to you whether that is good or not.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think the thing is that the zone from like 40-60 is the lion's share of "bog standard average overwatch skill", so fluctuating wildly within that range is to be expected. it's only once you start tipping over 60 or dropping below 40 that you start consistently finding people who are genuinely highly skilled or genuinely rock chewers.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Jastiger posted:

Yeah the ranking baffles me. I go from 55 to 50 and think "Ok i guess thi sis my natural state" and then I'll kick rear end and go up to 55 again. What the hell. It seems less a measure of your ability or skill and more a lottery on making sure everyone else has comparable skill to you whether that is good or not.

The problem is that the skills ratings don't cover a wide enough range imo. I think they should widen up the bell curve a little. Make it easier to get rank 1 and 100 if you truly are that bad and good, instead of now, where there are only a handfull of players worldwide anywhere near the extremes.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

i think the thing is that the zone from like 40-60 is the lion's share of "bog standard average overwatch skill", so fluctuating wildly within that range is to be expected. it's only once you start tipping over 60 or dropping below 40 that you start consistently finding people who are genuinely highly skilled or genuinely rock chewers.
This is one reason ranking everyone from 0-100 when the ranks 40-60 are almost 70% of the population is a little silly. Add more granularity to that system and you'd probably see fewer wild rank changes, or at least more rapid stabilization. At the very least, maybe it'd reduce the perceived frustration.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well it means a player at 58 is probably as skilled as 50 since it is so crowded in there. I think thats silly and poorly done. It also means that the really good players cant break out and the really bad ones dont get dropped out so you have this mish mash of roullete that determines whether you can or cant break out.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Hahahahaha http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20747905428?page=7#post-134 . Scroll down for the blue post.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

This is one reason ranking everyone from 0-100 when the ranks 40-60 are almost 70% of the population is a little silly. Add more granularity to that system and you'd probably see fewer wild rank changes, or at least more rapid stabilization. At the very least, maybe it'd reduce the perceived frustration.

They probably wanted a nice normal distributin of ranks and forgot/didn't care that if you scale it so 100 is 3-sigma then you also get 70% in 35-65.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Honestly, rank is more of an indicator of your ability to communicate and coordinate rather than your ability to shoot mans.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well it IS kinda lovely you cant buy thr item out right. Put the poo poo in boxrs for the 1.50 or have it for sale for like 7.50. Gamble on boxes or buy it outright done deal.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The more I see people rage out over random cosmetic boxes the less sympathetic I find myself becoming towards them. Like yeah, I guess it's lame? But goddamn, they're cosmetics and they don't matter, if it seems like a lovely deal to you then don't buy loot crates, problem solved, whether or not you have a new Zarya skin isn't actually going to make you play any better.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BpI_I3NNm8

Sometimes you need to roflstomp some newbies as Bastion with the precision that only a mouse can give you.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Soothing Vapors posted:

It's about 1000x more reasonable than people screaming "but think of the children!"

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I honestly don't understand why people are getting so worked up about their ranking in a shoot-mans game. :iiam:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

Papercut posted:

It's about 1000x more reasonable than people screaming "but think of the children!"

Lies and misdirection generally does. It's pretty amazing horse armor was $2.50; people now are fine with spending $15 for a skin (not me, idiots), oh but that's not good enough let's charge 1 to infinite dollars because we can.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 4, 2016

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Kai Tave posted:

The more I see people rage out over random cosmetic boxes the less sympathetic I find myself becoming towards them. Like yeah, I guess it's lame? But goddamn, they're cosmetics and they don't matter, if it seems like a lovely deal to you then don't buy loot crates, problem solved, whether or not you have a new Zarya skin isn't actually going to make you play any better.

It's really irrelevant that the items impact gameplay mechanics, even though there's an argument to be made that the visuals/silhouettes are a mechanic. The cosmetics are a functional part of the game that is blocked behind a gambling based paywall at worst. At best it's a timed rng pool as part of a larger pool that is obviously there to keep people playing. Blizz didn't add it in for no reason.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

TG-Chrono posted:

It's really irrelevant that the items impact gameplay mechanics, even though there's an argument to be made that the visuals/silhouettes are a mechanic. The cosmetics are a functional part of the game that is blocked behind a gambling based paywall at worst. At best it's a timed rng pool as part of a larger pool that is obviously there to keep people playing. Blizz didn't add it in for no reason.

Limited, random, no-good-guarantees lootcrates are obviously a transparent attempt to milk as much money out of their playerbase as possible, I don't think anyone can really dispute that. I also agree that they could have done any number of things to preserve the limited "gotta get'em while they're hot" nature of them while improving the overall QoL of them.

At the same time as someone who used to be into Magic: the Gathering back in my insanely idiotic youth, a game where the random gambling nature and inflated secondary market prices were actual gatekeepers of whether you could compete at higher levels or not, pay-to-random cosmetics that don't affect gameplay in the slightest seems like a pretty silly hill to plant a flag on. It's lovely the same way all gambling is fundamentally lovely but they're completely up-front about the deal you're getting and if it seems like a bad deal then the solution is to not buy any lootboxes. The amount of sheer outrage this whole thing is generating is grossly disproportionate to the amount of impact your ability to have McCree wear an American flag actually has, calling cosmetics a "functional part of the game" is technically correct I guess but even the visual/silhouette argument isn't that strong because unless I'm mistaken there's an option for you to simply disable skins and have every character appear as their default look if that's truly an issue, and beyond that it's literally just playing dressup with virtual dolls.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I don't really care strongly, but it'd be nice if summer boxes were just summer loot, or at least it'd be nice if they didn't dilute the whole "at least one summer item per box" thing with a bunch of sprays and icons. That's my two cents after playing for a few hours tonight and getting a lame spray from my crate.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

That's because it's technically correct and uses diplomatic language, but it intentionally avoids the actual reasons. To quote Kaplan, "sometimes we want things to feel rare and special." Why do they want things to feel rare and special? So people feel pressure to buy, unlike normally when most people are happy to wait since they know they can buy stuff eventually. :ssh:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The main thing that makes me feel unhappy about the ranking system at this point is, well. This is basically my first FPS. After doing quick play for a while I did my competitive placement and got ranked at 40. At first, play was frustrating, but I've practiced a lot and I feel like my game has really improved. My aim is better, my tracking is better, I'm more confident in my ability to keep track of what's going on and in general I feel like my skill level has risen as a result of that practice (and by now I can use that on most of the heroes in the game). Sometimes strangers even say nice things!

But, my ranking is still basically the same. I've managed to climb up to 43, but my winrate is still not too far from 50% and it pretty much just zig-zags up and down without ever really changing much. It all winds up feeling kind of random.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I feel like I've demonstrably improved as well, and occasionally for some reason I'll get stacked up against people with very low levels (yes I know level doesn't equal skill, but there's nonetheless going to be an experience gap between someone at level 100+ and someone at level 15) and I see people doing things that remind me of me two months ago and it's like dang, I remember the days of being Reinhardt and just slowly backing up with my shield while someone tried getting in my grill instead of murdering them with a fireball and a rocket-powered hammer.

At the same time though there are a lot of people playing Overwatch and I'm reminded basically every time I play that a lot of them are a lot better at me, so it doesn't seem unreasonable to me that I'm in the low 40's because of that. Plus I don't really have the time to sit down every day and devote myself to being the baddest rear end I can be in a video game, so even as I improve I'm still probably not ever going to see truly significant gains, and I'm definitely not blessed with any sort of inherent talent that's going to awaken any day now, so it is what it is.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
It's going to turn from rage that they can't be purchased with coins into rage that they can be purchased by coins, once super reasonable Kaplan says "we listened to the community and they are now available for purchase".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

I honestly don't understand why people are getting so worked up about their ranking in a shoot-mans game. :iiam:

:same: