Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

What a cool guitar, I'd love to score one like that if I could find it :)

Brought the Hizumitas home today and it works great with my amp and plays nice with my other pedals! I know Wata layered her Elk BM Sustainar with a DS-1, I think feeding fuzz into distortion, so I had high hopes that would work well for me and indeed it does. It sounds great going into the T-Rex Nitros or the Bogner Ecstacy pedals - the latter I was anticipating since that's kind of a preamp, but great results from the Nitros are more of a pleasant surprise. I really love this fuzz!

I won't be able to pick up the EVH 5150 and Palisades until June 10th, some kind of hold period on used gear at the local GC due to the law. Is what it is, I'll look forward to getting them home when I can. The Uberschall pedal should show up tomorrow though, and I'll go ahead and get a group photo then since it's gonna be another week on the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Agreed posted:

What a cool guitar, I'd love to score one like that if I could find it :)

Brought the Hizumitas home today and it works great with my amp and plays nice with my other pedals! I know Wata layered her Elk BM Sustainar with a DS-1, I think feeding fuzz into distortion, so I had high hopes that would work well for me and indeed it does. It sounds great going into the T-Rex Nitros or the Bogner Ecstacy pedals - the latter I was anticipating since that's kind of a preamp, but great results from the Nitros are more of a pleasant surprise. I really love this fuzz!

I won't be able to pick up the EVH 5150 and Palisades until June 10th, some kind of hold period on used gear at the local GC due to the law. Is what it is, I'll look forward to getting them home when I can. The Uberschall pedal should show up tomorrow though, and I'll go ahead and get a group photo then since it's gonna be another week on the others.

Pics or it didn't happen

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

I've had an original and it sucked, let''s see if the B is any better....No, just as bad, but it was cheap and I won't lose any money on it.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

petit choux posted:

Pics or it didn't happen

Oh it happened alright

It is happening even yet, got a lil pedalboard on the way and considering another pedal or two to round it out beyond the dirts :) A comp? Better delay or delay/verb combo? Stay tuned...

Edit: Amazon had a brand new Keeley Caverns V2 in white for $169.99 discounted from the $199.99 I see it everywhere else. Always wanted a Keeley, I've had pleasant digital interactions with Robert a few places for years and his pedals always enticed but this is a great opportunity to get one. So, delay and reverb pedal sorted! Also got an Ibanez mini chorus from their little MIJ lineup, and a cheapo Pressure Tank compressor which is allegedly a clone of the Diamond Jr. - a Diamond Bass Compressor was my favorite comp (for guitar, natch) that I ever owned, close second was the Barber Tone Press followed by in third by the Wampler Ego Compressor but all three of those were really nice. Diamond is not making pedals at this time so I'm getting the clone, in hopes that it brings back some of that thing I liked :)

Wow I got a pedal board together gently caress yeah

Agreed fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 4, 2022

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
SO loving happening, dooder!

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
gently caress yeah, dude. I got out of a pretty toxic 6 year relationship a bit over a year ago, during which I ended up selling a lot of gear and not replacing it, and barely played because she considered it time wasting.

Been getting back into playing again, built a decent board and am currently working out my next couple of guitar purchases. Feels good to be back.

Your situation sounds a lot hairier, but I'm glad you're back on the GAS wagon. I reckon I probably gained a lot of really solid info from your posts back in the day.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
pics plz

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I'm glad you're back Don, whatever keeps us away is rough and it's so good to get over it! I'm also glad I was of some help back in the day :)

Call me crazy, pals, I went in and canceled the Palisades and got a Soul Food instead. Lil' EHX Klon-alike. Palisades is frankly intimidating in its variety and I am trying to make music here, I'd be switching switches and turning rotary dials constantly I fear. I plug the Soul Food in and instantly love it because Klon was a hell of a circuit, whereas I gotta dick with a bunch of stuff on the Palisades to get it where I want it and it does end up sounding good but I'll fall into its complexity like a well when I'm just trying to make noise.

I'm gonna trade in the T-Rex Vulture. I don't care for the Vulture after trying to bond with it, but its used price is pretty good and GC as a whole still carries the originals for $180 so maybe I can get some decent trade-in :shrug: Really looking forward to picking up the EHX 5150 and a Joe Bonamassa sig wah they have used in great shape (still has the drat protective plastic film on parts of it, the owner was super easy on this thing). Never been a fan of Bonamassa (or even really checked his music out to know one way or another) but I tried the wah today for a bit and it's awesome.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Agreed posted:

Palisades is frankly intimidating in its variety

Plumes imo

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
nobels odr-1. "the other green overdrive"

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

ODR-1, Plumes, Crayon, Bad Monkey, SD-1, BD-2, Soul Food.

As far as I'm concerned those are all the overdrives I'd ever need, and half of those are superfluous with the other half.

Honestly Plumes, Crayon and either the BD-2 or Soul Food will do about anything.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i think the horizon devices drive would be a top tier choice if it wasn't so pricy and i liked tubescreamer type drives. it had every control you could want on one.

I also had the allan holdsworth signature drive for a while and that was sick but not a good match for my amps. That thing was a monster of a drive

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I tell myself I'll be lucky and get a Tim when they drop on Humbucker music soon, because fate decrees that having lost my original Tim V1, one of the last he made on breadboard gdi, and two Timmy (V1 and a V2) I clearly have it coming back to me

but in reality scalpers will get them all and I'll be telling myself the MXR one is just as good, just as good

I do want that circuit again, though, loved how it did the thing it did! Good suggestions all, though, BD-2 is a great pedal, the Nobels is awesome too. I never really got on that much with tubescreamers, tried a bunch, probably for the best I let that Palisades go to someone else who is more all about it. Someone's gonna get a good deal on it, $109 seems kind of low for that pedal and it was in really good shape too.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 5, 2022

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Agreed posted:

Oh it happened alright

It is happening even yet, got a lil pedalboard on the way and considering another pedal or two to round it out beyond the dirts :) A comp? Better delay or delay/verb combo? Stay tuned...

Edit: Amazon had a brand new Keeley Caverns V2 in white for $169.99 discounted from the $199.99 I see it everywhere else. Always wanted a Keeley, I've had pleasant digital interactions with Robert a few places for years and his pedals always enticed but this is a great opportunity to get one. So, delay and reverb pedal sorted! Also got an Ibanez mini chorus from their little MIJ lineup, and a cheapo Pressure Tank compressor which is allegedly a clone of the Diamond Jr. - a Diamond Bass Compressor was my favorite comp (for guitar, natch) that I ever owned, close second was the Barber Tone Press followed by in third by the Wampler Ego Compressor but all three of those were really nice. Diamond is not making pedals at this time so I'm getting the clone, in hopes that it brings back some of that thing I liked :)

Wow I got a pedal board together gently caress yeah

That is so sweet. Just as a minor note, I used to play guitar when I was younger, resumed my relationship with it a few years ago and I'm about 60, and the proliferation of quality pedals is just so incredible to me. It's been a long road from Craig Anderton days.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Honestly the MXR Timmy should be fine, the circuit and components should be the same, it's just mass produced using surface mount device components instead of being put together by a dude in his basement.

My mate who has both original versions and a pretty good relationship with Paul Cochrane says the MXR does sound a little different to his ear, but he's had one since day dot, and also reckons the V3 is probably going to sound more different from the V1/2 than the MXR version does, so you might as well jump on it.

As I understand it, the main reason for the deal was that Paul couldn't keep up with demand, and they've looked after him pretty well.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Agreed posted:

but in reality scalpers will get them all

I really love how this is a normal thing that everyone just assumes and shrugs their shoulders about now. My favorite part is when manufactures make a huge deal marketing a limited run of something and then are shocked - shocked! - that scalpers bought up all the stock to resell on Reverb and ebay, it loving rules

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

It drives me nuts in principle man, hated it when you couldn't get a GPU for anywhere near MSRP for a couple years too recently, and you know I'd love a PS5 but $800 is a fuckin' stretch for that too... I guess it's true that scalpers would go hungry if there wasn't a significant perceived difference in the value of an item versus its cost and availability. I knew Paul enough we talked on the phone pretty often back in the late 2000s and early 2010s, he is a really nice dude with remarkable humility. I think raising the cost is a matter of principle for him, but if it were up to me he'd be getting the "excess value" rather than a bunch of dudes who have nothing to do with him and just exploit his product's great reputation and the nature of his small builder operation's ability to put out units.

Checking Reverb for prices on the V1s, I get a sick twist in my stomach at just how absolutely dramatically insanely less than that had to let mine go for, but despite all the poo poo I went through and all the medical costs, all the debt - we made rent - it is what it is, forget all the pedals I used to have versus keeping a home for my kids you know? Maybe I can get another one some day, maybe not - it's a great pedal but I'm just gonna be honest, $800+ for an old Tim is nuts. It's an overdrive, you know? It does overdrive stuff, clean boosts, some quick and easy tone shaping. Does it well, but there are other pedals that do it well also and aren't cloning it. I thought it was well priced from Paul. The speculation and hype are not his doing, though, he just makes quality gear at still-despite-all fair prices. I'm glad that he has this deal with MXR to make real Timmy pedals that aren't Vemurams or Danelectros or what have you, and still put them out with good availability for players. I may indeed go that route because I do like what the Timmy does a whole lot and V2 was my favorite of the ones I had.

On a different note, tonight I figured out I can run the effects out on my amp after my effects and get my pedals, the amp's preamp voicing (which is the critical element on this solid state model!) and EQ, and the pedals in my loop into my audio interface and then use the bx_rockergain100 plugin with the Preamp disabled (Igor Nembrini coded it and I think he did a dynamite job, love his work! His current generation of product, the Nembrini brand sims, have some outstanding models too). It sounds awesome, sounds like the amp in the room with the right IRs. This is rad, I'll be tracking my physical gear the easy way now. Hell yeah. :holy:

I spent 8 minutes recording a video and an hour and a half figuring out how to 1. normalize it (Reaper worked eventually, but flipped it 180º) and then how to flip it (this step took the longest, holy poo poo, Youtube used to just let you do that in its editor but NO, not in 2022). Recording this in the beautiful LED flashlight lighting of my phone, which was also grabbing the audio through a case so I am not convinced the audio quality is awesome but I wanted to show how I am doing this thing to my pals here :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrcY7Ti2QV8

Agreed fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 6, 2022

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
:allears:
Hell yeah, man.
When I am improvising I play very similar stuff. Vibe I get is like David Gilmour and Joe Satriani trading riffs, except for the extended Paul Gilbert picking section which I just cannot do (so I rely on legato phrasing).
I really need to get my hands on a San Dimas, that guitar looks solid and I can hear how loud it is acoustically. It's got punch.

You make me want to go try to learn how to use my looper and then just zone out noodling. I think I'll go try it.

Let us know when you put your next video!

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Any George Harrison fans?

Hand-painted, home made version of Harrison's Rocky Strat. Started life as a Squier Vintage Mod HSS. Not 100% accurate, but I'll gladly take a $175 version over the $20,000 Fender Custom Shop one.decent quality.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Tims are live at Humbucker! https://www.humbuckermusic.com/collections/overdrive/products/paul-cochrane-tim-v3-overdrive-pedal All gone, that took next to no time and I think they started with 400-500 of 'em.

I got one! Hell yeah!

Edit: Dude I love that strat, how cool!

Agreed fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 7, 2022

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

widefault posted:

Hand-painted, home made version of Harrison's Rocky Strat. Started life as a Squier Vintage Mod HSS. Not 100% accurate, but I'll gladly take a $175 version over the $20,000 Fender Custom Shop one.decent quality.

NUT

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

widefault posted:

That is absolutely GORGEOUS!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The pedal board I ordered came in and I spent time today wiring it up and getting things in place when I wasn't taking care of my kiddos :)

Signal flow goes input into the dynamics pedals, then right to left along the bottom row, swapping to left-to-right on the top row to finish with the chorus and delay/verb. Both of which sound rad by the way. Man I love playing through this! Despite working for a pedal company and having like 200 pedals at one time I actually never put together a pedal board - I used to think, what's the point, I have to swap stuff around constantly as part of my job so why go to the trouble. But this is just for me, baby, this is my sound and I am loving having a way to dial it in and keep it together like this, keep it covered to stop dust from getting into poo poo, just the whole thing. Very much loving it.

But it isn't really in its finished state. It has two comps on it right now because I'm seeing which I prefer; the rightmost blue one is made by Big Lloyd effects and is along similar lines as the Wampler Ego Compressor but with some differences in its tuning and capabilities, whereas the Pressure Tank is an inexpensive import clone of the Diamond Comp Jr. - great sounding compressor for the money, by the way, maybe not reliable at the low price point though.

I don't intend to put the wah I'm getting on the board, but I do need to figure out how I'm gonna put the Tim V3 on there. I may end up having to take the T-Rex Nitros off. I don't want to, it sounds cool... But I'm not letting anything stop me from fitting the Tim on there. Kind of considering canceling the MXR EVH 5150 OD pedal, just due to a lack of space, but I may just ... like ... figure out how to violate physics slightly to get that and the Tim to both fit, minus one of the comps and the Nitros? :ohdear: I dunno, got some thinking to do.

Dr. Faustus posted:

:allears:
Hell yeah, man.

Thanks so much, man, I really appreciate your support and encouragement. Very generous comparisons, haha, I am always trying to improve though, maybe one day I'll be on their level. You should totally play with your looper man! I used to use the ones built into Amplitube and Guitar Rig but somewhere along the way they stopped including those. I guess I just do DAW stuff now but I have fond memories of even the old stereo memory man with hazarai from the 2000s and its looper. Just loved that pedal when I had it, if they still make it maybe I will get another some time. Then a bigger board because drat, lmao

Agreed fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 7, 2022

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I was a dedicated Tubescreamer worshipper. Honestly my favourite TS these days is the Fulltone Fulldrive. They're also STUPID cheap sometimes so keep an eye out if you're after something 808ish

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Couple weekend rehab projects that will probably just be new strings and a setup

Korean made Lotus Strat copies. Other than the headstock these are more or less the same guitar that was sold as a Squier in the late 80s/early 90s. A little heavier than I like due to the plywood bodies, but great necks. I also love the way the pickup covers and knobs yellowed on the red one.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
No sunlight to show it off now but I got one of those old Peavey Grinds and it feels sick and is super lightweight for a bass. lighter than my Rick

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

After a lot of hemming and hawing, and watching lots of videos, decided to pull the trigger on a Maschine MK3, for fooling around with sampling and for putting beats into Cubase with something better than just drawing them in with a mouse. Barely scratched the surface, but really impressed with how high quality the hardware feels. Now to spend a lot more time watching more tutorial videos and reading through the manual.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Well I grabbed this thing, it's got an interface I actually already know how to use for the most part. I still cant use my PC with it because of the crappy graphics card I have making so much line noise but this means I dont really have to.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Got a couple of things

New Boss Space Echo:

It sounds amazing. It better for the price tag lol

Eurorack sampler:

I haven't been doing nearly as much synth stuff lately since I've mostly been concentrating on guitar but I've been wanting one of these for a while and it came up locally. Excited to put it together with a smaller rack system

Not pictured, a few Hal Leonard guitar manuals for Jazz and Country so I can try to expand my chord knowledge and synthesize some more styles into my playing.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
And another Lotus because these are really cheap and this one is really cool to me. It is also still dirty with rusted strings

Factory reverse-silverburst, factory Mother of Toilet Seat pickguard. HSS with a what kinda looks like a Super Distortion in the bridge but is more likely its Korean equivalent.

Oddly, I have only ever seen this model as a SSS, and always with stamped tuners where this one has sealed die-cast tuners

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I heard that new Boss space echo is badass! Enjoy :) I need to look into those guitars - cheap you say? They look like quality clones.

I have... I have many things to post, I'm just going to wait until a slightly bigger pedalboard arrives, transfer my stuff over to it, and post pics then. But I'm fuckin' back, baby, my guitaring has returned. I spent 2 hours chasing a noise issue last night and it was the loving NS-2 that was doing it, word of warning don't put too much stuff in the loop and be careful about input and output impedance of the loop's send and returns. It was making a variable high pitched squeal. It isn't now, with just my dirts and comp in the loop, all is well and it is doing the thing. NS-2 is by far, by far the least exciting thing I've picked up for this period of REGUITARING, guitaring for the future, I'll post soon as I can get it together and take pics.

I'm also about to get one of those dat dang ridiculous Wylde Audio Les Paul looking guitars that looks like Dean from the early 2000s had a hand in designing it. Price is right and I like the guitar's neck and the sound of it a lot (well, EMG 85/81, haven't ever had a set of those and the last actives I used were Jackson actives from the '80s which these smoke completely).

Edit: Why wait, current state of things:

"Big" board. Ok, more like medium sized, but space is limited - pitch-based effects, dirts, Resotron filter which does envelope-following or pitch-based tracking and expression control simultaneously, and pre-delay modulations:

Small board. Delays and reverbs. This board will be replaced in a couple days with one the size of the other one that will let me fit an additional mod pedal and expression controller on it - might also mount my wah and the Resotron expression controller:

Agreed fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 20, 2022

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
You are lit, and it's fun to see. The hype is radiating off my screen and I totally understand how you feel and I'm happy for you!

feels-good-man.jpg

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

A package arrived from a goon yesterday, containing a volca modular, keys, and mixer. It also came with a ripcord, usb battery bank, and little 2 volca wood stand.
Well, I had to fire up the modular with the one I already had, and see about patching the other little mini cable synth I have (Bastl Kastle).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWyF1B59Vsc

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

That's rad, it sounds like a backing track for Axiom Verge or something like that. I dig it!

Dr. Faustus posted:

You are lit, and it's fun to see. The hype is radiating off my screen and I totally understand how you feel and I'm happy for you!

feels-good-man.jpg

Thanks man - it's been a while since I felt the joy of kitting up. This time feels different, too, because none of it is out of obligation that I need x,y,z to have an appropriate context vis a vis "the competition," or I have to put this and that in to test them for my job - it's all just capabilities I want to have, sounds I want to make. I'm working on a track that makes some cool use of them right now - going to be a far cry from all my tracks last year where I recorded guitar direct into my 2013 motherboard's Realtek line in because I couldn't swing both an audio interface AND a midi controller, but I wanted to learn to play keys and use synths so I got the MPK249 and DIY'd everything else.

I appreciate your support, for real :glomp:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

We were out checking out a Greek bakery over the weekend and there was a storage place in the same office park area. It looked like they had just cleaned out a unit and threw everything in the dumpster.
Saw the bottom end of this body sticking out.

It's loving filthy it's also left handed but strung up for a righty.

Also grabbed a dyson vaccuum from the same dumpster

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Nice, looks like a ~$175-200 guitar on Reverb.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Agreed posted:

I appreciate your support, for real :glomp:
Man, I support you the same reason I support lots of people here: You're a good dude. You are blessed with talent and a fine mind. And you've been kind to me so I want to give back. You're good people.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Mavis arrived. As has widely been noted, a versatile and fun toy with a nice resonant sound at tree fiddy

but I feel like for tree fiddy they coulda given us an aluminum lower; maybe that's supply chain bullshit but plastic body is not great. No other complaints, it does the thing as far as my unschooled rear end can tell.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

hows it compare to the 0-coast? they look real similar on paper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

JamesKPolk posted:

hows it compare to the 0-coast? they look real similar on paper

I haven't messed with it enough to have a strong opinion there; the 0coast is probably less intuitive for people used to doing stuff in Moog's manner, but more intuitive to someone just looking at the poo poo since it has its paths painted on it and a default set of fx in the path with some pushbutton on/off for a couple things.

I got this because it seemed fun and I got some peer pressure from coworkers, but also my mother32 still mystifies me a bit and this seems like a simpler way to get into the moog mindset and also is easy to cart around because it's the same form factor as the 0coast more or less. Merits to both machines, I think the 0coast is probably generally weirder in a good way. Of course they play nice together in interesting ways.