Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

I think he pulls it off.

Leave the Chef's Knife, take the cannolis.

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I just got done trying out the Last Mission in FFX-2 HD Remaster. Got up to the 20th floor before deciding to come back to it later. I'm not really too keen on the inventory limitations, but then again, I guess inventory management is just part of the challenge of a roguelike.

Still kind of bullshit that your equipped dresspheres and any accessories you have equipped take up inventory space, though. :argh:

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
I highly recommend beating the main game before Last Mission. In the INT + Last Mission version of the game, you only had access to dresspheres in Last Mission that you have in the main game.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Nihilarian posted:

I think he pulls it off.

:eyepop:

This thread is going places.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Is there a list of stuff you can "miss" in FFX International by being locked out of it later thanks to Dark Aeons? I never played this version but I remember a lot of people who did complaining that they couldn't get Anima or Yojimbo because they did it too late.

FFX HD still makes those fights forced right?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Is there a list of stuff you can "miss" in FFX International by being locked out of it later thanks to Dark Aeons?

Besaid destruction treasure (this one is incredibly unlikely though), a Jecht Sphere in Besaid, Valefor's second overdrive, Macalania's destruction treasure and the Sun Crest.

Dark Yojimbo has no bearing on acquiring Yojimbo at all, as he only turns up when you try and manually walk out of the Cavern of the Sunken Fayth. Using the warp pad means you won't see him.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dragonatrix posted:

Besaid destruction treasure (this one is incredibly unlikely though), a Jecht Sphere in Besaid, Valefor's second overdrive, Macalania's destruction treasure and the Sun Crest.

Dark Yojimbo has no bearing on acquiring Yojimbo at all, as he only turns up when you try and manually walk out of the Cavern of the Sunken Fayth. Using the warp pad means you won't see him.

Ah cool, thanks. I actually did miss Besaid's treasure :I Can you still backtrack into the temple?

I'll make sure to get Sun Crest and Macalania's treasure early then, Sun Crest was behind Yunalesca right? Why do I still remember this

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Sun Crest is in Yunalesca's chamber, yeah. Run down the stairs at the back.

If you're still not at Macalania Temple, you can turn around and walk back to Besaid, yeah. You outright have to immediately after Spherimorph if you want the Jecht Sphere without getting through Dark Valefor. Waiting any later and you can't get it without the fight.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
So, the Final Fantasy X remaster is the international version? I haven't seen any dark aeons.

Edit: Thanks for the info.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Mar 23, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

They're postgame superbosses I believe. A lot of them show up in obscure places also.

Several of them require HP/Damage Break Limit or whatever makes those go into the tens of thousands.

Excels fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 23, 2014

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
The Dark Aeons don't show up till after the events of Macalania Temple. More plausibly you won't see any till after you get the airship. Dark Valefor is at the entrance of Besaid Village. Dark Ifrit is near where the entrance to Home is. Dark Ixion is from talking to someone in the Thunder Plains. Dark Shiva is returning to Macalania Temple. Dark Bahamut is returning to where you fought Yunalesca. Dark Yojimbo is walking to the back of the Cavern of the Stolen Fayth after you get Yojimbo. Dark Anima is redoing the underwater section on Mount Gagazet and then returning to the entrance of the mountain. Dark Magus Sisters are in Mushroom Rock Road. Some of the Aeons require you to talk to NPCs and some of them automatically start if you enter the arenas, so it's worth being careful.

They are proper superbosses though. If you don't have extremely high agility and accuracy/luck, they'll get three turns before you and instantly kill you, or you'll never manage to hit them. 230+ agility, capped luck or accuracy, and enough strength to max out damage with celestial is probably the minimum required to kill them.

Excels posted:

They're postgame superbosses I believe. A lot of them show up in obscure places also.

Several of them require HP/Damage Break Limit or whatever makes those go into the tens of thousands.

BDL is absolutely essential (and is on all the celestial anyways), but BHPL is actively harmful for you. There's no reason to go beyond 9999 HP (or 999 MP for that matter).

Systematic System fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 23, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Wait why would more HP ever be a bad thing?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Excels posted:

Wait why would more HP ever be a bad thing?

If you are devoting extra spaces on your board to filling up that extra HP you're not devoting them to more useful stats. Plus you're wasting a slot on it instead of something more useful.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Gravity based attacks from several of the Dark Aeons/Penance, and BHPL takes away a slot from a more useful ability on armor. Nothing does more than 9999 and is also survivable in any reasonable sense.

ImpAtom posted:

If you are devoting extra spaces on your board to filling up that extra HP you're not devoting them to more useful stats.

This too. FFX's postgame is grindy enough.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013
Stoic/Comrade fill slower with more max HP. Also Tidus, Wakka, Kimahri, and Rikku celestials do more damage the closer you are to max HP, which becomes a pain in the rear end with BHPL.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
BHPL+Auto Regen armors are legit (Auto Regen is *the* reason to use BHPL), and allow for the fastest possible Penance battle times since you skip the Auto-Potion animations. The only issue is no one gives a poo poo about any of that

i built BHPL+Auto Regen armors on my last FFX playthough

ImpAtom posted:

If you are devoting extra spaces on your board to filling up that extra HP you're not devoting them to more useful stats. Plus you're wasting a slot on it instead of something more useful.
There's plenty of room, even on the Expert sphere grid, to get 99999 HP while effectively maxing every other stat.

Xenogenesis fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Mar 23, 2014

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Every other stat that matters, certainly. You can just remove everything related to Accuracy and leave Evasion at 60, since they're completely worthless. Luck does both of their jobs, but does so even better; with a luck of 230 at that point, you can avoid every attack that can be dodged and will never miss either. You need a combined Evasion and Luck of 290 to get both of those effortlessly, so you can tweak the values as you see fit but you want a minimum of 230 luck for critical purposes (for what little that really matters at that point).

That's only for international/PAL/HD stuff though. Original NA version just needs a Luck of 133 to steamroll everything.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

I think he pulls it off.

"Say my name."

"Tonberry."

"You're goddamn right."

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
"Chef's knife, bitches!"

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Systematic System posted:

I highly recommend beating the main game before Last Mission. In the INT + Last Mission version of the game, you only had access to dresspheres in Last Mission that you have in the main game.

They've changed it for the HD Remaster so that Last Mission is its own separate thing with a separate save file.

In my X-2 save, I've only just barely started the game. Got Yuna's Garment Grid and the Songstress dressphere back from Leblanc, and rested in the cabin on the Celsius.

Conversely, I'm on floor 20 of the Tower with Yuna in Last Mission, and have picked up dresspheres for Warrior, Thief, Songstress, Gun Mage, White Mage, Black Mage, Alchemist, Dark Knight, Samurai, Berserker, Trainer, and Psychic.

So yeah, you can completely ignore X-2 itself and just dive right into the Last Mission if you're a fan of roguelikes.

Edit: Oh yeah, there are also one-shot items that you can pick up that basically lets you craft any dressphere you want.

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 23, 2014

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
What is BDL and BHPL? I've never heard of these terms before and they seem kind of important.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

moosecow333 posted:

What is BDL and BHPL? I've never heard of these terms before and they seem kind of important.

Break Damage Limit (very important) and Break HP Limit (massive grind for little benefit)

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

More FF games should include the option to do tens of thousands of damage. 9999 seems like a small number in comparison to the ridiculous 99,999 you can do in FFX.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Pneub posted:

Actually he had at least 3 more hidden away the whole time.

I like Squall's outfit if only because of how much is resembles what Han wore at the start of The Empire Strikes Back.

He's even got the multiple belt thing going on.

precision posted:

Appropos of nothing, I just want to note that I literally just now saw anything at all about FFXV (other than knowing it exists).

Holy poo poo! It looks amazing! It's set in not-Tokyo! gently caress!

That's all.

At the very least, I hope that getting most of the company's developers involved in finishing A Realm Reborn in record time gave them enough experience to make the game as good as we all hope. It would be a shame if it was nothing but a bunch of pretty cutscenes and corridors like the last time they made a Final Fantasy for a new generation, but they've been talking about including a full-scale world map and a car to drive around in it for a long time, and it was even shown off in an early trailer.

I'm glad that I have games like FFXV and KHIII to look forward to, because I know that these will be really fun to play, compared to the XIII trilogy which were pretty shoddy productions. XV's by the team that made the console Kingdom Hearts games, and KHIII's by the team that did the handheld entries, so they're both really capable of making this type of gameplay work. XV has weapon switching, character switching, teleporting, hand-to-hand combat, and vehicles, but KHIII could be even more impressive if they expand on Flowmotion.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
I've actually been tentatively excited for XV for a while now, but this thread has just crushed that, because I know now that, in what appears to be its broody seriousness, it will never be as good as it could have been if it took itself more lightly, like 7 or 9, and dicked around with Tonberry enforcers.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Nihilarian posted:

I think he pulls it off.

I am the one who knifes

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Theglavwen posted:

I've actually been tentatively excited for XV for a while now, but this thread has just crushed that, because I know now that, in what appears to be its broody seriousness, it will never be as good as it could have been if it took itself more lightly, like 7 or 9, and dicked around with Tonberry enforcers.

I feel the same way about MGSV, although they could have tons of wacky side content if they want to keep the main story all serious and dramatic. There might be the Moogle King boss from FFXIV:ARR in some far corner of the map with his Nightmare Before Christmas-esque theme music blaring, for all I know.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That loving Sned posted:

He's even got the multiple belt thing going on.

It's actually just one belt, it just has a thing that ties to the bottom of your holster so it doesn't flop up and down when you run like a hip-dick. It's not that the extra bits on a character outfit are inherently bad, it's that all the animu belts make no logical sense.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

That loving Sned posted:

At the very least, I hope that getting most of the company's developers involved in finishing A Realm Reborn in record time gave them enough experience to make the game as good as we all hope. It would be a shame if it was nothing but a bunch of pretty cutscenes and corridors like the last time they made a Final Fantasy for a new generation, but they've been talking about including a full-scale world map and a car to drive around in it for a long time, and it was even shown off in an early trailer.

As long as the gameplay trailers represent the finished product, it looks if nothing else stylish and fun as hell. Battles against giant city-wrecking Behemoths and whatever the gently caress that thing in the water is, hell yeah. I'm also really digging the art design and the fact that it looks like a gangster/Romeo and Juliet story. It's probably the game that'll get me to buy a PS4.

I'm at the Thunder Plains in FFX and tempted to restart the game because I just learned that in the International Version, you can't just go back to Besaid to get the Destruction Treasure without fighting a Dark Aeon. But I think I'll just rush through it, not bothering with anything extra, and then play it again after X-2 (and, God help me, Lightning Returns).

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
Dark Valefor is easier than some of the Monster Arena bosses, you'll be fine.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

precision posted:

I'm at the Thunder Plains in FFX and tempted to restart the game because I just learned that in the International Version, you can't just go back to Besaid to get the Destruction Treasure without fighting a Dark Aeon. But I think I'll just rush through it, not bothering with anything extra, and then play it again after X-2 (and, God help me, Lightning Returns).

If you feel up to it, you can hike back to Besaid, and get it and Valefor's other Overdrive if you don't have it yet. The Dark Aeons don't start spawning until later in the story, after you get the airship.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, you should be safe up to that point. It's after Bevelle that they start showing up, I believe. It'll take you much less time to go and check than it would replay the game by any means.

Lightning Returns is also pretty drat good if you are willing to just brush aside its story and play the game for its game-play alone.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Excels posted:

More FF games should include the option to do tens of thousands of damage. 9999 seems like a small number in comparison to the ridiculous 99,999 you can do in FFX.

Is there a reason the damage limit is still in? It seems an odd thing to keep. My understanding was it was only there originally because having numbers which were too high broke everything.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

That loving Sned posted:

I feel the same way about MGSV, although they could have tons of wacky side content if they want to keep the main story all serious and dramatic. There might be the Moogle King boss from FFXIV:ARR in some far corner of the map with his Nightmare Before Christmas-esque theme music blaring, for all I know.

True, hell, side stuff is where most of the wackiness came from in the other games too, there's always a core of seriousness to the plots I suppose. I mean, you would never have guessed anything but DRAMA and ACTION from FFVII's trailers, and we haven't seen that much of FFXV yet. I guess I'd feel a little more optimistic though if there were even one non-generic-human character in the roster, or a sight of anything but standard city goings-on in the environment (Behemoths, Iron Giants and Leviathan notwithstanding).

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

AngryRobotsInc posted:

If you feel up to it, you can hike back to Besaid, and get it and Valefor's other Overdrive if you don't have it yet. The Dark Aeons don't start spawning until later in the story, after you get the airship.

I'm pretty sure he literally can't backtrack past like Djose Highroad at this point.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Theglavwen posted:

True, hell, side stuff is where most of the wackiness came from in the other games too, there's always a core of seriousness to the plots I suppose. I mean, you would never have guessed anything but DRAMA and ACTION from FFVII's trailers, and we haven't seen that much of FFXV yet. I guess I'd feel a little more optimistic though if there were even one non-generic-human character in the roster, or a sight of anything but standard city goings-on in the environment (Behemoths, Iron Giants and Leviathan notwithstanding).
Then you realize that the game's cast already has their names set in stone and that they're all longer and more pretentious and maybe even more Latin than FF13's subtitle.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Aurain posted:

Yeah, you should be safe up to that point. It's after Bevelle that they start showing up, I believe. It'll take you much less time to go and check than it would replay the game by any means.

Once you make it to the Calm Lands they start turning up, yeah. At that point, you can run back to the Thunder Plains and Dark Ixion's already there. Before that, you're safe so long as you can backtrack. Problem is, of course, you're really screwed once you progress to just after Spherimorph because at that point you can't backtrack until the Calm Lands.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Xenogenesis posted:

I'm pretty sure he literally can't backtrack past like Djose Highroad at this point.

There's a couple cut off points where you can't backtrack, but I'm pretty sure the Thunder Plains is one of the points you can get all the way back, and it doesn't cut off again so long as you don't go past the Macalania Agency. It's how you can get one of the Jecht Spheres without having to fight Dark Valefor.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Is the plot Blitzball game even winnable? I've been at this forever and went into triple overtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Squallege posted:

Is the plot Blitzball game even winnable? I've been at this forever and went into triple overtime.
It isn't literally impossible but it takes a lot of doing and I'm not sure there's a reward for it.