Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Reduce your exposure to Canada as best you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is that what the "2017 == 2005" doomsayers are doing, to profit from the impending and certain collapse? I don't feel confident in my ability to predict, but others in this thread seem to be in theirs. Is money anywhere near mouths?

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

HookShot posted:

What was the average house price in Vancouver in 2005, out of curiosity?

I bought a nice 1200 sq ft 2bd room place, right on 4th for about 300k in '05... sold it a few years ago. In all honesty -- not THAT unreasonable.

Would have been a good investment to keep, aside from the strata time bomb.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://business.financialpost.com/news/economy/nearly-half-canadians-within-200-a-month-of-being-unable-to-pay-bills-poll-finds

quote:

Nearly half of Canadians are within $200 a month of being unable to pay their bills, poll finds

CALGARY — A new poll suggests nearly half of Canadians surveyed last month are within $200 per month of being unable to pay for their bills and make their debt payments.

The Ipsos Reid survey also found about one-quarter of the 1,582 people who responded to the poll were already unable to cover their bills and debt payments.

The online poll was done between Jan. 27 and Jan. 29 for MNP Debt, which provides licensed trustee services in six provinces, from Quebec to British Columbia.

MNP says the poll found that 31 per cent of respondents said any increase in interest rates could move them towards bankruptcy.

Ipsos Reid conducted the poll about a week after the Parliamentary Budget Office issued a report on Jan. 19 that said Canada has seen the largest increase in household debt relative to income of any G7 country since 2000.

The survey also followed Bank of Canada’s decision to keep a key lending rate at a historically low level of 0.5 per cent on Jan. 20, as the central bank lowered economic growth estimates for 2015 and 2016.

The polling industry’s professional body, the Marketing Research and Intelligence Association, says online surveys cannot be assigned a margin of error as they are not a random sample and therefore are not necessarily representative of the whole population.

lmao

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo
I am talking to a mod right now about getting you probated/banned/gassed
Welcome back CI. You'll enjoy this one too (cross-posted from CanPol)

In related Canadian pension news, this very scary article was on the CBC website today.

article posted:

But Shillington found the median value of retirement assets of Canadians age 55 to 64 is just over $3,000.
As things stand now, half have savings that represent less than one year's worth of the resources they need to supplement OAS/GIS and CPP/QPP, the study found.

Fewer than 20 per cent have enough savings to supplement their income for at least five years.
"We're looking at a situation in our country — 10 years down the line, 15 years down the line — where millions of Canadians have very little disposable income and that's not good for the economy."
"We've been sold this bill of goods over the last few decades that RRSPs and TFSAs can be a sort of replacement for workplace pensions -- and that turns out to be untrue," Smith said.

My jaw literally dropped when I saw $3,000. I thought they must have left out a couple of zeros. And I agree that the effect on the economy when they retire (if they retire) is going to be both big and negative.

I don't know where to fall on the last (quoted) statement. RRSPs and TFSAs should be good replacements, but as advertised you would think that the only reason to put into an RRSP is for the tax benefit, and that a TFSA is a savings account. So few people really understand how to utilize these accounts, and many don't have the income to utilize them even if they did understand them.

I don't know what the answer is, but "CPP reform", which may help future generations, isn't really going to help 55-64 year-old Canadians unless said reform is literally "drive dump trucks of money up to their houses so they don't starve."

And oh yeah don't read the comments (this should just be a warning on all Canada press-quoted articles at this point).

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Here's your daily reminder that early in this thread, I was getting a whole bunch of YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO JUDGE HOW PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY posts

lol gently caress you

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
So who wants to bet on which Great Depression fixtures appears first in the next few years? Bonus riots? Job lines? Blackshirts marching in the street? Occultist Prime Ministers? :frogon:

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

The linear regression equation is this:

Predicted Real Estate Price = B0 + B1.Wind.Direction + B2.Horse.poo poo + B3.Mother.In.Law + B4.Nice.Lady.at.the.Bank + B5.Tsur.Sommerville.Grants.From.Developers + B6.Priced.Out.Forever + B7.HAM

Remember to make Horse.poo poo a numerical variable in KGs, and HAM is in Canadian dollars not Renminbi.

:golfclap:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Well anti chinese sentiment is at an all time high. Can't wait for head tax. Maybe internment

oh wait wrong asians

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

Subjunctive posted:

Is that what the "2017 == 2005" doomsayers are doing, to profit from the impending and certain collapse? I don't feel confident in my ability to predict, but others in this thread seem to be in theirs. Is money anywhere near mouths?

Could you quote this prediction from someone? Can't seem to find it.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Nine of Eight posted:

So who wants to bet on which Great Depression fixtures appears first in the next few years? Bonus riots? Job lines? Blackshirts marching in the street? Occultist Prime Ministers? :frogon:

Personally I cant wait to see the first picture of an Albertan boiling his boot to make soup.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Furnaceface posted:

Personally I cant wait to see the first picture of an Albertan boiling his boot to make soup.

There are so many Albertans turning to food shelters right now it's a joke.

quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/fort-mcmurray-s-middle-class-feels-pain-of-alberta-downturn-1.3446431

Fort McMurray's middle class feels pain of Alberta downturn

Community rallies around those in need as unemployment rate hits 9%

'Your heart bleeds with them'

For 6,384 people last year, that meant turning to the Salvation Army. The agency assisted 10 per cent more people than a year earlier, often with mortgage payments, utility bills and medicine.

"But we're also finding that we need to be there as a shoulder to lean on and encourage hope and just lift people up where we can," said executive director Major Stephen Hibbs.

Some are asking the Salvation Army to help float their mortgage payments. I had no idea this charity would effectively provide financial assistance like this instead of material support of food.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

jm20 posted:

Some are asking the Salvation Army to help float their mortgage payments. I had no idea this charity would effectively provide financial assistance like this instead of material support of food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SiylvmFI_8

also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYNTWBaNqm8

sponsor a roughneck named sonia who can't make payments on his douche truck, atv and boat

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
Earlier in the thread some people whose names escape me claimed that the BOC rate doesn't affect mortgage rates as strong as the Fed in the US does its housing market because Canadian banks can move money to the US to buy bond there and as a result Canadian mortgage interest rates are affected by US interest rates. I think I understood that. But now I'm thinking that the lovely CAD-USD exchange rate is going to forestall Canadian banks moving to US bonds because of the risk (this is not a prediction on my part) of buying back in to CAD after the exchange rate improves. Am I off base here?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

jm20 posted:

I am going to willingly refuse to believe that even people from Alberta or Vancouver are that evil.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Cultural Imperial posted:

Well anti chinese sentiment is at an all time high. Can't wait for head tax. Maybe internment

oh wait wrong asians

aren't you malaysian chinese? should be a familiar feeling

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

MickeyFinn posted:

Earlier in the thread some people whose names escape me claimed that the BOC rate doesn't affect mortgage rates as strong as the Fed in the US does its housing market because Canadian banks can move money to the US to buy bond there and as a result Canadian mortgage interest rates are affected by US interest rates. I think I understood that. But now I'm thinking that the lovely CAD-USD exchange rate is going to forestall Canadian banks moving to US bonds because of the risk (this is not a prediction on my part) of buying back in to CAD after the exchange rate improves. Am I off base here?

Fixed Rate mortgages are tied to bonds, heavily influenced by US Fed

Variable Rate mortgages are tied to Canadian BoC overnight rate,

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sort of feel bad for Albertans blowing all their money when they were making 100-120k a year in energy business jobs.

They spent it all on Truck equity and overpriced housing.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

etalian posted:

Sort of feel bad for Albertans blowing all their money when they were making 100-120k a year in energy business jobs.

They spent it all on Truck equity and overpriced housing.

I was taught basic personal finance in like grade 8. Apparently it is never taught at any grade in Alberta? It would explain a lot.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

jm20 posted:

Ahahahaha the way that things are going I wouldn't be surprised to see pan handlers with signs that say "UNDUR WATER ON MY MORGAGE PLEAZE HELP"

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Going back to the tax increase in Alberta from a few pages ago: has anybody put 2+2 together and realized huge swathes of rig pigs will either have to commit tax fraud or come up several thousand short on taxes this spring? :allears:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wasting posted:

Could you quote this prediction from someone? Can't seem to find it.

Yeah, I'm crossing streams about 2005 levels and imminence of a crash, I guess. I can try to dig back when I'm not on a phone to find examples of people predicting that the crash is imminent, if you don't believe that's been happening; my main point about people betting against RE remains.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I'm crossing streams about 2005 levels and imminence of a crash, I guess. I can try to dig back when I'm not on a phone to find examples of people predicting that the crash is imminent, if you don't believe that's been happening; my main point about people betting against RE remains.

Well there is no way to short housing, other than to just not buy and continue to rent. (And if you don't think that is happening there may not be much you can learn here.)

Other than renting, you have two other options:

You can short something like Home Capital Group, which was/is the most shorted stock in the country. Of course you have to know what six month period it will decline or you will lose your shirt. Honestly I have no idea why it did this year other than shorting pressure alone.

Second you can notice housing is something like 25% of GDP for BC and something similar for Canada, which construction employment currently is double historical norms. Now if you think that a condo economy is a funny thing to say, but not actually the basis of a growing economy, then those first two points should scare the hell out of you. (For reference, oil is less than 10% of GDP and look how fast we noticed that collapse.) Moving your investments from Canadian to American markets only makes sense even if you are only mildly bearish on Canada.

Also you don't have to predict when it is going to happen.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Rime posted:

Going back to the tax increase in Alberta from a few pages ago: has anybody put 2+2 together and realized huge swathes of rig pigs will either have to commit tax fraud or come up several thousand short on taxes this spring? :allears:

New rates apply to this year's income for the next tax season innit?

After the next round of job losses some of them won't have to pay ANY tax next year, how's that for a silver lining?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Honestly if you are bullish on Canada just jump straight into Real Estate investing. Otherwise, diversify with extreme prejudice away from Canadian holdings.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ocrumsprug posted:

Also you don't have to predict when it is going to happen.

It seems like "at some point in the remaining future of human existence, prices will do X" is a pretty uninteresting statement in terms of guiding decisions. If prices are going to remain elevated for 5 years, that puts a pretty different spin on the wisdom of buying a house than if they're going to drop in Q3. When I mentioned a plan to buy a house, at least one poster said that it would cost me hundreds of thousands of dollars versus waiting a year. It surprises me to discover that there aren't any instruments for taking advantage of that prediction, beyond directing one's own housing expenses. Certainly a 25% swing in prices over the course of a year seems a pretty ripe opportunity to exploit.

E: less than 5% of my assets are in Canadian holdings, so that part doesn't worry me much

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I love how in the other Canada thread everyone is hyper NDP partisan but in this thread it's all gently caress the working class.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The housing bubble is terrible for the working class, no?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Only if you were moral enough to die by the sword of your minimum wage service job getting outsourced to robots in the city rather than trying to support your family by going to where the money was in Alberta.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Subjunctive posted:

It seems like "at some point in the remaining future of human existence, prices will do X" is a pretty uninteresting statement in terms of guiding decisions. If prices are going to remain elevated for 5 years, that puts a pretty different spin on the wisdom of buying a house than if they're going to drop in Q3. When I mentioned a plan to buy a house, at least one poster said that it would cost me hundreds of thousands of dollars versus waiting a year. It surprises me to discover that there aren't any instruments for taking advantage of that prediction, beyond directing one's own housing expenses. Certainly a 25% swing in prices over the course of a year seems a pretty ripe opportunity to exploit.

E: less than 5% of my assets are in Canadian holdings, so that part doesn't worry me much

Historically, housing prices have grown more or less with inflation. There has been no need for a proper market in housing because no one wanted to play around with an asset that fluctuates closely around inflation. Hell, the guys who wanted to short the US market 10 years ago had to get custom derivatives made and the brought 100s of millions of dollars to the table to do it. Your average Joe has no way to play the real estate market except to buy or not.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ZShakespeare posted:

Only if you were moral enough to die by the sword of your minimum wage service job getting outsourced to robots in the city rather than trying to support your family by going to where the money was in Alberta.

(and then spending all the money you made in Alberta on useless expensive poo poo)

That's the part people object to.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Subjunctive posted:

Sounds like you already bought in to a similar idea.

I sort of suspect that part of the reason you don't see housing based financial security products is that both markets have drastically different regulatory environments. Part of why housing has performed as well as it has is that you can pretty much say whatever you want about it. Look at just about any condo marketing literature and it is basically math based lies, while there is a lot of evidence that the monthly stats the real estate board publish every month are partial cloth fabrications.

If you try to do that with a security, you will end up needing a new career and probably be hiring criminal lawyers.

Considering there is nothing that has had even vaguely similar returns to housing, yet there is nothing. It seems like it would be a ripe market if someone thought they could, even temporarily, get away with it. This is extra suprising given Vancouver's well deserved reputation as the Canadian capital of shady security scams.

ocrumsprug fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 17, 2016

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

The housing bubble is terrible for the working class, no?

It's terrible for a majority of people because it means more money forked away for rents or a mortgage.

There's a good reason why the German government discourages big housing cost increases.

Furnaceface posted:

I was taught basic personal finance in like grade 8. Apparently it is never taught at any grade in Alberta? It would explain a lot.

Most people blue collar people don't have any sense for financial management, so even with a high paying job they end up spending most of it on dumb impulse buys.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

PT6A posted:

(and then spending all the money you made in Alberta on useless expensive poo poo)

That's the part people object to.

I bet if all them injuns would stop wasting all their money on booze they'd bootstraps themselves too.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

The linear regression equation is this:

Predicted Real Estate Price = B0 + B1.Wind.Direction + B2.Horse.poo poo + B3.Mother.In.Law + B4.Nice.Lady.at.the.Bank + B5.Tsur.Sommerville.Grants.From.Developers + B6.Priced.Out.Forever + B7.HAM

Remember to make Horse.poo poo a numerical variable in KGs, and HAM is in Canadian dollars not Renminbi.

Hell, the relationship doesn't even need to be linear, just have some 4 year old draw on graph paper and use the resulting regression. Slap their last name on it and we've got ourselves an "advance prediction model".

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9eWIGTqJBcw&feature=youtu.be&platform=hootsuite

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

etalian posted:

Most blue collar people don't have any sense for financial management, so even with a high paying job they end up spending most of it on dumb impulse buys.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ocrumsprug posted:

Sounds like you already bought in to a similar idea.

Well, I didn't move anything out of Canada intentionally, I'm just living in the US right now and that's where the assets "appeared". I'd like to move money to Canada to take advantage of the exchange rate, but I'm not sure what I'd feel good putting it in.

Someone mentioned ways to short REITs or similar in the US, but maybe there's nothing for Canada. There are financial products created out of real estate revenues/rents certainly (I hold some related to commercial property in the US), but the value of those isn't tied closely to the sale value of the properties. (Until the trust is dissolved, I guess? I know less about the vehicles I hold than I probably should.)

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

ZShakespeare posted:

I bet if all them injuns would stop wasting all their money on booze they'd bootstraps themselves too.

You sure are stretching real hard to recover from that bad comment.

We pity the working class here since that includes the majority of us. Its why we complain about rent, housing, debt levels, cost of living, stagnant wages, youth unemployment, and bad spending habits so much. We have a culture of fiscal stupidity that has been created through decades of government encouragement to spend spend spend and given all the power to do so without ever noticing the safety nets below being taken away. Rig pigs just make easy targets because they ignored all the warning signs and refused to believe that history could repeat itself. Many continue to blame everyone but themselves and often stories come out about them that make it clear they have learned nothing. But then again, no one else in this dumb country has learned from it either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
If you buy a house and your debt service eats up 50% of your after tax income, get hosed retard