Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
This thread has the boorish manners of a Yalie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hedgehog Pie posted:

This thread has the boorish manners of a Yalie.

Here's a witty rejoinder for ya!

great username
Dec 28, 2023

Hasturtium posted:

I gave up on The Simpsons not long after the Skinner-wasn’t-Skinner-all-along episode, because I was a senior in high school and I had skirt to chase other things to do. And my life has grown from there - college, career, marriage, kids, master’s degree, and enjoying adulthood - but The Simpsons still exists as a means to keep the merchandising alive. It’s surreal and gross, knowing less than a third of the show’s output is reliably any loving good yet they’ll keep making it as long as the money flows.

In retrospect, "who knows what kind of adventures they'll have, from now until the show is no longer profitable!" in the 138th episode spectacular (which aired... 28 years ago) was more of a monkey paw curse than a joke.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://i.imgur.com/NMK6wMC.mp4

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

I didn't know you'd linked a video at first, and thought you'd just uploaded a screengrab of Homer looking pensive and disappointed. That would have been appropriate by itself... and then I unmuted and played the video. It's striking to see something so far removed from its original cultural context that it no longer has anything to riff off of but itself and the jokes it used to make. It's become the old guy at a party everybody's sick of, but the host doesn't have the heart to throw him out.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Pretty sure that was just an ad embedded in the dialogue

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
"I can barely remember which cannabis dispensaries used to be internet cafes" is a pretty good joke imo. Even "Crypto dot com boulevard" is a pretty good line if you, like me, get mildly irritated at all the naming rights for things going to corporations. They have all the stadiums, it's only a matter of time before they start taking streets.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Marge, famously, has never had any interest in bowling

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

No Dignity posted:

Marge, famously, has never had any interest in bowling

Half the people writing the show today weren't born when Life in the Fast Lane aired.

The other half don't watch TV.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Wait, but they're not actually wrong. Marge only reluctantly went bowling to use Homer's bowling ball "gift". She only kept going to the bowling alley because of her almost affair with Jacques.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

There was a Marge bowling sequel episode last season

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Diet Poison posted:

"I can barely remember which cannabis dispensaries used to be internet cafes" is a pretty good joke imo. Even "Crypto dot com boulevard" is a pretty good line if you, like me, get mildly irritated at all the naming rights for things going to corporations. They have all the stadiums, it's only a matter of time before they start taking streets.

it is a okay joke, the show did similar in its golden years. the problem is the simpsons making observational jokes about a time they shouldn't exist in.

and the voice actors being 80

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

iamsosmrt posted:

There was a Marge bowling sequel episode last season

Oh, well in that case, the current writers weren't born yet

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, at this point even if they're decent jokes they're in the wrong show said by the wrong characters.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I enjoyed that joke in its "We've checked up and down these docks. From Pier 1 to that Pier 1 by Pier 17" guise but iterating on it does not make it better.

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014
I built Homer’s hosed up spice rack

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

That's really cool

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Do the BBQ pit next

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

build the clown bed

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

i'm seeing double here, 0 spices

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fill it with nothing but oreGAHno

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Build the dog house without an entrance.

If you’re fully committed, step on a nail and calmly say, “Fiddle-dee-dee. That will require a tetanus shot.”

Really though, the spice rack is cool.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Make the BBQ

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Flood your home town.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

Diet Poison posted:

My issue is not the joke. The joke is good. But the delivery is bad and ruins it.

It's delivered whiney when it should be delivered wistfully. Even if he's in the middle of a whiney rant. Whining is rarely funny. It's hard to listen to.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I don't know about low point but I began to check out during Season 10 with the Alec Baldwin & Kim Basinger episode and didn't last much longer after that. Something about that episode that I can't quite put my finger on rubbed me the wrong way and it just never got better. Every couple of years I try to watch new episodes and I just can't get through them

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
I can’t remember when they started but episodes about Frink and Gill definitely correlated with a downturn in overall quality

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Drink was there during the peak years.

Agree on Gil.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Gil is still a funny good character at least. Can’t say the same for any other reoccurring characters they’ve tried after him.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

SeANMcBAY posted:

Gil is still a funny good character at least.

i would agree if he had only appeared one time

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I'm not sure how I feel about characters who are created as a nod/homage to an existing character from some other work, and then kindasorta take on a life of their own to the point where the link to what they were parodying disappears into obscurity and everyone thinks the Simpsons a) invented him and then b) ran him into the ground. Like I can only assume it's only a matter of time before they turn the "YeeeEEEEEEESSS? guy" into a character with a whole backstory and multiple episodes dedicated to him

to say nothing of Bumblebee Man et al

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Junk posted:

i would agree if he had only appeared one time

Yeah, or more sparingly. Sea Captain is funny running an all you can eat restaurant or trying to sell a raft that sinks instantly, like how Sideshow Mel is great figuring out why Smithers didn’t shoot Burns or being swarmed by a monkey orchestra. Don’t need to show up every ep.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Realty Bites is when Gil first appeared, and it of course should have been his one and only appearance, but you know how that goes.

It's such a forgettable episode, too: Marge becomes a real estate agent and Homer buys Snake's muscle car. That's about almost all I remember of it. It does have one great joke, though: Lumber King.

"Lumber. We need lumber." *pupils dance to Lumber King's gyrating rear end*

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

It’s not a top tier ep but darn solid especially for season 9 and also has Lenny not wanting anyone to know how he lives, the truth and “the truth,” and one of the last great Phil Hartman big roles.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

also has Lenny not wanting anyone to know how he lives

Okay, this one is good, and I also remember, "She needs premium, dude! PREMIUUM! DUUDE!"

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

It also introduced Cookie Kwan, voiced by master of accents Tress MacNeille :whitewater:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I kind of hate Tress MacNeille, her work is so “generic animation voice acting” that I feel she brings down most work she is in. Naturally there’s a huge increase in her usage during the Scully seasons which were also the “steep decline” seasons.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

You Are A Werewolf posted:

Okay, this one is good, and I also remember, "She needs premium, dude! PREMIUUM! DUUDE!"

lol after abusing the honor system by escaping, despite Kearney’s concerns he is ruining it for everyone.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I always say “Whoa, this is so dangerous” like Snake in that episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Flinger posted:

It also introduced Cookie Kwan, voiced by master of accents Tress MacNeille :whitewater:

Wonder if they recast her or just don’t use her at all anymore like Apu.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I kind of hate Tress MacNeille, her work is so “generic animation voice acting” that I feel she brings down most work she is in. Naturally there’s a huge increase in her usage during the Scully seasons which were also the “steep decline” seasons.

She’s fine but it is annoying how Lindsey Naegle is seemingly in every other episode of the early teen seasons.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 25, 2024