Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I knew something was off when the Gurren Lagann fastball special was just the opening move. Against someone who was maybe the 5th boss before the finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

FauxGateau posted:

The game is almost glaringly beautiful. It's really quite impressive. Been playing and enjoying it greatly. Effort was put in.

Too bad Naruto was a mistake

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Too bad the boss fights are lovely, the music blends together, and it's based on the worst part of Naruto.

Which the latter is saying something, I mean really.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

There's some bad loving parts of Naruto, but the great ninja war really is one of the biggest slogs I have ever dealt with in a manga

Didn't break me like Bleach did though

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Ultimate Ninja 4 starts off at the start of the end iirc

also, Might Guy in Neutral Spanish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-ngph6iW5Y&t=1512s

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They made real improvements to the gameplay too, even if it is still the normal barebones gameplay its always been there's at least a tag mechanic now.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You'd think it would be hard to make something called The Ninja War boring, but Naruto manages with flying colors.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Baal posted:

Too bad the boss fights are lovely, the music blends together, and it's based on the worst part of Naruto.

Which the latter is saying something, I mean really.

Yeah the pacing of the game is a little hosed. But I gotta admit the Night Guy section is pretty loving strong. Also I will agree the boss fights are sometimes garbage hp hogs, they clearly want you to die and restart with a buff. I say this because I'm pretty sure every fight has a special line for you getting back up.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

CJacobs posted:

You'd think it would be hard to make something called The Ninja War boring, but Naruto manages with flying colors.

It gets easier when you realize The Ninja War is actually zombies vs. ninjas.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

the most dangerous generation of the seven swordsmen of the mist

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

FauxGateau posted:

Yeah the pacing of the game is a little hosed. But I gotta admit the Night Guy section is pretty loving strong. Also I will agree the boss fights are sometimes garbage hp hogs, they clearly want you to die and restart with a buff. I say this because I'm pretty sure every fight has a special line for you getting back up.

Night Guy was fantastic, it's just a shame the actual boss fight does not make you feel very powerful

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Baal posted:

Night Guy was fantastic, it's just a shame the actual boss fight does not make you feel very powerful

Lol pretty much. The momentum of the fight peters out rather impressively. I mean I was throwing 12 Seikos at Madara's hard chocolate shell and it should be incredibly satisfying, and it was the first time. Doing it a bunch of times throughout the fight in order to cut down Madara's numerous health bars isn't that great. It's got the same problem as Asura's Wrath in that I could probably watch a person who knows what they're doing on YouTube, but still receive the same satisfaction. Because you might as well watch a movie competently executed.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Dynamic Entry automatically breaks the dark shell.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean most Asura's Wrath boss fights know when to end, that one should flat out have been "You break through the shell and every hit does like a fourth of Madara's health bars" not normal rear end damage.

Tae posted:

Dynamic Entry automatically breaks the dark shell.

Yeah and in the time you recover from the animation you can only get a few hits before Madara breaks out of your combo and goes right back into the shell.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

I have huge problems when it comes to Deus Ex: HR's themes. It initially provides an interesting set of arguments for and against augmentations, but then it is all torpedoed because it has to tie in with the Deus Ex canon. Personally I think augmentations are fine but require regulation like William Taggart keeps saying. Yknow, just make sure the pedophile down the street can't get shotguns installed into his eyesockets. But then you introduce the fact that an illuminati controls the government and is doing horrible poo poo in the name of outright suppressing the technology means that's out the window. And you can't then make an ideological flip and side with Sarif because by the end of the game Hugh Darrow and the Illuminati have definitively proven that the technology is so unsafe that someone can turn you into a literal zombie with the press of a button and there's zero way of knowing what the hell is actually being put inside your body.

As a result, the only sane choice becomes to reject any and all augmentation outright, which is totally not what I actually believe and, according to Mankind Divided, also makes me a racist. It's like trying to frame an argument about GMOs in an episode of Veggie Tales.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

bhlaab posted:

I have huge problems when it comes to Deus Ex: HR's themes. It initially provides an interesting set of arguments for and against augmentations, but then it is all torpedoed because it has to tie in with the Deus Ex canon. Personally I think augmentations are fine but require regulation like William Taggart keeps saying. Yknow, just make sure the pedophile down the street can't get shotguns installed into his eyesockets. But then you introduce the fact that an illuminati controls the government and is doing horrible poo poo in the name of outright suppressing the technology means that's out the window. And you can't then make an ideological flip and side with Sarif because by the end of the game Hugh Darrow and the Illuminati have definitively proven that the technology is so unsafe that someone can turn you into a literal zombie with the press of a button and there's zero way of knowing what the hell is actually being put inside your body.

As a result, the only sane choice becomes to reject any and all augmentation outright, which is totally not what I actually believe and, according to Mankind Divided, also makes me a racist. It's like trying to frame an argument about GMOs in an episode of Veggie Tales.

It's a moot point since by the time Deus Ex 1 rolls around augmentation has been replaced with surgery free and equally effective nanomachines.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I find it interesting that as lovely of a douchebag as Taggart is, he's pretty much completely right. What's interesting to me about that is that I have no idea if that was the devs' intention or not.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's a moot point since by the time Deus Ex 1 rolls around augmentation has been replaced with surgery free and equally effective nanomachines.

In Deus Ex, one of the major antagonists is Gunther Hermann, an enhanced cyborg who's lost his future because the new model (protagonist and nanomachine enhanced JC Denton) has better technological specifications. His employers eventually send him on a suicide mission because it's cheaper and easier to upgrade new soldiers to top of the line models than to break Gunther down and rebuild him again. Gunther embraced human augmentation, and in the long run it left him obsolete and useless.

Just upgrading people by slapping machines in them isn't a great way to guarantee a better future.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
My biggest (butthurt neckbeard old man) issue with DEHR vs Deus Ex was that they spend the entire game making GBS threads on how terrible mechanical augs are, how slow and clunky they are. Then DEHR rolls around and they decided to make mechanical augs look smooth and cool and function super slick instead of being an unholy (and extremely painful, without the X1) fusion of metal and living flesh.

E: That being said I still liked DEHR and I'm enjoying the Best Friends LP of it. Always cool to get testing background on games for the guys especially since I work in (non-vidya) QA myself.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

DumbparameciuM posted:

My biggest (butthurt neckbeard old man) issue with DEHR vs Deus Ex was that they spend the entire game making GBS threads on how terrible mechanical augs are, how slow and clunky they are. Then DEHR rolls around and they decided to make mechanical augs look smooth and cool and function super slick instead of being an unholy (and extremely painful, without the X1) fusion of metal and living flesh.

E: That being said I still liked DEHR and I'm enjoying the Best Friends LP of it. Always cool to get testing background on games for the guys especially since I work in (non-vidya) QA myself.

I'm sure Gunther was top of the line and sleek before nanoaugs

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

I'm sure Gunther was top of the line and sleek before nanoaugs

Compared to Adam Jensen he's hot dogshit

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

They mentioned this in the leadup to HR, basically saying that because our view of what tech should look like has changed in reality, they weren't worried about matching the artistic style of turn of the millenium cyberpunk.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

DumbparameciuM posted:

Compared to Adam Jensen he's hot dogshit

That's just polygon count.

Poor Hermann. UNATCO received a shipment of skull guns several days after Gunther died.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
Honestly, I didn't see the mechanical aug issue regarding Gunther and Anna as that big a deal in the grand scheme of things compared to the melting pot of every major and minor conspiracy theory imaginable that made up original Deus Ex's plot. Yeah, it was present, but not at every moment when you're dicking around in places like Hong Kong and Paris where every poor sod is expositing about secret societies and poo poo with 100% seriousness.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK Matt did his loving homework for part 38 of FFX and it's loving sick.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

Well that's just a fun cynical twist in terms of series. I'm saying that even as a self-contained narrative HR destroys its own themes. The game has good "writing", but the plot is kind of a mess.

CJacobs posted:

I find it interesting that as lovely of a douchebag as Taggart is, he's pretty much completely right. What's interesting to me about that is that I have no idea if that was the devs' intention or not.

And that's sort of proof that the plot is kind of a mess. Taggart isn't just a douchebag, he's a complete piece of poo poo and it's really easy to not even know that unless you're paying close attention. In a way that's cool, to reward players who look into things, but the plot also hinges on knowing that he's a complete piece of poo poo.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Twilight Princess is a miserable loving slog of a game but it'll be fun to see them do a Zelda

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I like the bit where Taggert talks about how the name "Illuminati" is basically just something they came up with to get rich idiots to chip in more cash.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

ArclightBorealis posted:

Honestly, I didn't see the mechanical aug issue regarding Gunther and Anna as that big a deal in the grand scheme of things compared to the melting pot of every major and minor conspiracy theory imaginable that made up original Deus Ex's plot. Yeah, it was present, but not at every moment when you're dicking around in places like Hong Kong and Paris where every poor sod is expositing about secret societies and poo poo with 100% seriousness.

Right at the beginning of Deus Ex you get to see some soldiers discussing whether or not Gunther's a huge shining example of the ideal soldier, or doomed to be thrown away because of his part in the, "Cult of the Machine," the meme that improving yourself by replacing your body with machines will help. Later in the game, he's sent on a suicide mission because his owner is tired of listening to him bitch about getting upgrades to stay competitive with other soldiers--his desire to improve himself is considered a liability by the very people who employ him to kill their enemies. He's had a long career of doing that very successfully--somewhere they mention that he's got a kill count of well over a thousand combatants, which is nuts.

Deus Ex makes a clear statement that treating humans as disposable equipment is an absolute evil, whether it be sending outdated soldiers to be slaughtered by the newest model so you don't have to pay their retirement, or murdering millions with a bio engineered plague to jerk politicians around with artificially limited stores of the cure. All three endings--the AI god, the collapse of governments for city-states, and the triumph of the illuminati--are attempts to protect all humans, not just those with the best and newest augmentations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I think it was one of these Zaibatsu fuckers that reminded me that there was a SCUD game on the Saturn, and now I can say after finding a copy and playing it, that's the most 90s loving thing I've seen in a long time.

Also terrible!

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Mandrel posted:

Twilight Princess is a miserable loving slog of a game

root
Jun 17, 2000

Booska mask replica...

DumbparameciuM posted:

Did anyone else catch that Boss-Key-Yachts* is a lovely reference to Jean-Michel Basquiat ? Like, what the actual gently caress Spike Lee that is some Macklemore level wank right there.

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014
I'm super late on this uptake but I'm glad both Pat and Woolie like (or at the very least watch) Steven Universe
it does my heart good

Kelsing
Oct 24, 2010

Did you see that, Zach?

nikochansan posted:

I'm super late on this uptake but I'm glad both Pat and Woolie like (or at the very least watch) Steven Universe
it does my heart good

I'm fairly sure that Liam is also a Steven Universe fan. I'm not really sure if Matt is a fan, but I think I've heard that he is. I could be wrong, though.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Kelsing posted:

I'm fairly sure that Liam is also a Steven Universe fan. I'm not really sure if Matt is a fan, but I think I've heard that he is. I could be wrong, though.

Matt cosplayed as a character from the show at MAG Fest. Also, I feel like he was the first to watch the show and recommend to the others on the podcast?

my buddy Superfly fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Mar 15, 2016

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Apparently the Ouya has had 60000 lifetime sales.
Nice job Ouya.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

this trailer discussion on the podcast is TERRIBLE

e: and it rolls almost immediately into loving Street Fighter

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rodyle posted:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rodyle posted:

sum it up for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

sum it up for me

It's them hemming and hawing at each other about trailer spoilers for what feels like half an hour.

Also Woolie just poo poo on TWEWY.

E: that Stellaris segment is some Brad Shoemaker tier poo poo

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 15, 2016