Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

graph posted:

macs are better for graphics

any creative work, really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wheany posted:

any creative work, really

*adjusting gunnar glasses* actually, video game development on mac is awful

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cinci zoo sniper posted:

*adjusting gunnar glasses* actually, video game development on mac is awful

most games that make money now are developed on a mac because they're for ios

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

qirex posted:

most games that make money now are developed on a mac because they're for ios

lifelong goal: become a billionaire so i can get good at mobile games

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Apple may be looking to integrate own sleep-tracking features to its product lineup sooner rather than later. According to a report by CNBC, Apple acquired the sleep tracking company Beddit. Beddit's website confirms the acquisition on its Privacy Policy page, which was last edited May 8, 2017: "Beddit has been acquired by Apple. Your personal data will be collected, used and disclosed in accordance with the Apple Privacy Policy." No financial details of the acquisition have been made public yet.

Beddit makes both sleep-tracking hardware and software and already has an existing Apple Watch app that works with its Beddit 3 Sleep Monitor. The device is a flat strip of fabric with sensors inside that sits atop your mattress, and under you, while you sleep. Using a variety of sensors including those for motion, humidity, and temperature, the Beddit 3 Sleep Monitor tracks sleep time and quality, heart rate, breathing patterns, deep and light sleep times, sleep efficiency, and more. Both its iOS and Apple Watch app connect to the monitor, so they currently don't track sleep independently from Beddit's hardware.

Apple stores started carrying Beddit devices in late 2015, and the Beddit 3 Sleep Monitor is still available on Apple's store website. It doesn't appear Beddit will stop making its sleep monitor any time soon, but its fate will likely depend on Apple's sleep-tracking strategy going forward. It's unlikely that Apple would create a sleep-tracking mattress or anything similar to Beddit's sleep monitor, but the company probably wants to experiment with Beddit's sleep-tracking methods to develop its own sleep-tracking features for the Apple Watch

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
never go on beddit

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wheany posted:

never go on beddit

lol

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Wheany posted:

never go on beddit

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

At Microsoft's Build 2017 developer conference, its biggest Visual Studio news wasn't even for its own platform: Visual Studio 2017 for Mac has hit general availability (download here, requires OS X El Capitan 10.11 or higher).

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
so is this Microsoft desperately trying to get itself involved in mobile dev somehow or what? do they think anybody is gonna use this for mac development? last time I had to use visual studio it was terrible.

LOL watch timb use this as an excuse to end xcode development in the name of "business optimization"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Doc Block posted:

so is this Microsoft desperately trying to get itself involved in mobile dev somehow or what? do they think anybody is gonna use this for mac development? last time I had to use visual studio it was terrible.

LOL watch timb use this as an excuse to end xcode development in the name of "business optimization"

it's rebranded xamarin studio i think

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Doc Block posted:

visual studio is p fantastic for some time now

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
visual studio owns you cucklords, also timb is definately gonna kill xcode

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

if Xcode gets murdered then how are iOS apps gonna be born?

I'm asking because I don't know anything about compilers and trying not to learn too much

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Boiled Water posted:

if Xcode gets murdered then how are iOS apps gonna be born?

I'm asking because I don't know anything about compilers and trying not to learn too much

it is an joek

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I saw the beddit thing and thought they bought bbedit until like the third sentence

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

visual studio is p fantastic for some time now

vs 2017 is a big, clunky mess and still 32-bit-only.

edit: also, i hate the way visual studio reformats my code to put spaces between if statements and the parenthesis, like "if(whatever)" becomes "if (whatever)" and no matter how much you try to fight it, it inserts the space every time.

edit2: that's a nit-picky complaint, but for gently caress's sake, vs should let me format my code how i want.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 11, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Doc Block posted:

edit: also, i hate the way visual studio reformats my code to put spaces between if statements and the parenthesis, like "if(whatever)" becomes "if (whatever)" and no matter how much you try to fight it, it inserts the space every time.

use windows and adopt sapient spacing habits, what can i say

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

cinci zoo sniper posted:

At Microsoft's Build 2017 developer conference, its biggest Visual Studio news wasn't even for its own platform: Visual Studio 2017 for Mac has hit general availability (download here, requires OS X El Capitan 10.11 or higher).

i've been using the VS for mac preview at work and it's decent enough

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Doc Block posted:

edit2: that's a nit-picky complaint, but for gently caress's sake, vs should let me format my code how i want.

if is not a function and vs is correct

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i use visual studio code to edit python and json files sometimes and it works ok on my mac :keke:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

carry on then posted:

if is not a function and vs is correct

what about

if (x == 3)
vs
if (x==3)

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

what about

if (x == 3)
vs
if (x==3)

gently caress you oiece of poo poo

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
only you can prevent code formatting chat

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

use windows and adopt sapient spacing habits, what can i say

are you one of those people who spaces it like
if ( x == 5 )

and i was talking about windows when I said VS 2017 is clunky garbage and still only a 32-bit application.

VS for macOS is just rebadged Xamarin Studio so it, of course, is clunky garbage too.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Visual Studio is the best IDE by miles despite the stupid 32 bit thing. VS's merge tool is superb compared any freely available merge tool I've had the chance to use. the new diff view in 2017 between two commits in a git repo is really handy and powerful.

ASP.NET and C# are pretty much the best things to make a web application with and Visual Studio is the best way to work with C#.

I seriously can't say enough about the goodness of VS, it's like two orders of magnitude beyond Xcode in quality

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i've never encountered a problem with vs that was obviously due to it being 32-bit and i really don't get why people complain about it so much

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

fleshweasel posted:

Visual Studio is the best IDE by miles despite the stupid 32 bit thing. VS's merge tool is superb compared any freely available merge tool I've had the chance to use. the new diff view in 2017 between two commits in a git repo is really handy and powerful.

ASP.NET and C# are pretty much the best things to make a web application with and Visual Studio is the best way to work with C#.

I seriously can't say enough about the goodness of VS, it's like two orders of magnitude beyond Xcode in quality

imo intellij + java + dropwizard or spring are the only ide/language/frameworks that are in the same ballpark as vs + c# + asp.net

Blinkz0rz fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 11, 2017

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Plorkyeran posted:

i've never encountered a problem with vs that was obviously due to it being 32-bit and i really don't get why people complain about it so much

it prevents the IDE from making use of your RAM to keep big solutions fast. VS is compensating somewhat by moving more things out of process-- C# and TypeScript language services for example

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Sagebrush posted:

keyboards that don't have dedicated delete (or forward-delete or whatever you call the one that is not backspace), home/end and pgup/pgdn keys drive me bananas.

I just want a rub out key

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lol apple gonna kill of mac now.

vs can do native ios development and prototyping via xamarin.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Sagebrush posted:

what about

if (x == 3)
vs
if (x==3)

if (8==D)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

infernal machines posted:

lol apple gonna kill of mac now.

vs can do native ios development and prototyping via xamarin.

"native"

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

that logic test is gonna fail a lot, but don't worry it happens to a lot of men

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Boiled Water posted:

that logic test is gonna fail a lot, but don't worry it happens to a lot of men

im sorry that yours is a valid base 16 literal

8D

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Sagebrush posted:

what about

if (x == 3)
vs
if (x==3)

what about

if (8==D) your_moms_mouth_is_here(true);

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

rude

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

poty posted:

what about

if (8==D) your_moms_mouth_is_here(true);

use braces you fucker

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Blinkz0rz posted:

use braces you fucker

sounds painful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

mishaq posted:

sounds painful

yes but much like the orthodontic ones, using braces helps correct bad things from happening before they manage to develop

• Locked thread