Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

happyhippy posted:

FD Megaships showed a few eco domes on it.
Something SC has been saying for the last year or two.

I've felt for a while now that Frontier are at the point where they can add stuff pretty much at will, it's their own engine and they have a few years under their belts now. It would be really interesting to see a side by side checklist of bullshit CIG promised vs stuff that's trickling into Elite for real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Holy poo poo this live stream is brutal, Frontier aren't dicking around
Also, more views than any SC live stream ever I think

It's loving savage.

This is SC getting curbstomped in every way by the apparent underdog that is in fact, far better in every way.

The only analogy to this overwhelming show of force I can think of is if you hypothetically put someone pathetic, like Fuzzymodem, into a prison as an inmate and tell the regular inmates that he is a pedo or something. Yeah, I think that would be a similar lopsided event :)

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Any VOD available for that elite stream?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Fdev right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo9buo9Mtos

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The only way Chris can combat this is to promise even more ridiculous bullshit, so this could be a win win situation :v:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
but star citizen will have more stuff

somehow

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Still got the multi-crew stream to see on Thursday.

It's gonna end in tears.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Chalks posted:

Any VOD available for that elite stream?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmpRiR1u6t4

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
How can ED have multi crew if it doesn't have nested local physha ha ha ha ha ha

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Someone needs to do a Downfall sub.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014
Even better, the way Elite does multicrew is basically drop-in co-op. Something promised and then dropped from SQ42 features

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
one argument right now is "but elite isn't like real life, star citizen is"

these people are broken and deserve to get all their money taken

in two years they can look back on some of my posts and go "but why didn't he ACTUALLY SAY this project is hosed??"

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Dooguk posted:

Still got the multi-crew stream to see on Thursday.

It's gonna end in tears.

Pffft. Will Elite have a Mixmaster 5000? I thought not.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TheAgent posted:

in two years they can look back on some of my posts and go "but why didn't he ACTUALLY SAY this project is hosed??"

The backers have always smugly said 'but elite doesn't do X' - what happens though time and time again is Elite goes and adds X, they Y, then Z
This time next year they'll be smugly saying 'but. but BIG BENNIES! :shepface:'

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

TheAgent posted:

I want my Escapism to be LESS escapist and more REAL. WAAA !

peter gabriel posted:

The backers have always smugly said 'but elite doesn't do X' - what happens though time and time again is Elite goes and adds X, they Y, then Z

And 50% of the time, X is not even a good idea for a game, like space farming or the mile high club.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 14, 2017

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Wonderful! Just wonderful news! Get wrecked CIG

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Looks like in response to FDev's savage beatdown CIG is getting ready to plop Spectrum down in the bowl:

Will Leverett. Bault and others at Turbulent in a "meeting" just now

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5u238i/will_leverett_bault_and_others_at_turbulent_in_a/

Bonus comedy from the comments:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

aleksendr
May 14, 2014
Spectrum : Our echo chamber was not echo enough, so we took your money to build a better, more echo chamber where only those already onboard can talk to others about the fun of being onboard.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 14, 2017

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

aleksendr posted:

Spectrum : Our echo chamber was not echo enough, so we took your money to build a better, more echo chamber where only those already onboard can talk to others about the fun of being onboard.

I think all the spectrum poo poo is based on chris not liking the ingame chat box on stream. It was clearly the first time he ever used it.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Samizdata posted:

Also, you know, Goons don't get arrested and prosecuted for being, well, goons.

Until it's possible to be arrested for crimes against snacks.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

peter gabriel posted:

It's more than that - SC backers equate Chris Roberts saying something with it being real. How can any company, however successful, compete with that? No matter what anyone does for real, Chris can just say "yeah but I'm doing more" and presto, just like that, it's true. Who can face that kind of power?

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Waiting for the following twatter announcement:

"Chris Roberts will be taking a break for a few weeks not months from games development to nurse his devastated arsehole."

-----------------

And their best response to Elite's curbstomping is their Archered version of Discord? gently caress this is all going fanfuckingtastically :D

ELE now in progress? Finally?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I think all the spectrum poo poo is based on chris not liking the ingame chat box on stream. It was clearly the first time he ever used it.
bet its also for targeted ad space too

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Happy Valentine's Day goons. I love you.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

All I'm worried about is CIG closing and r/dereksmart disappearing.

I hate reddit and generally avoid it but can easily imagine having a couple of days enjoyment out of quoting old posts of idiots back to said idiots there. Is there is an historical record somewhere of their archiving efforts if/when they throw a tantrum about Derek being right and wipe it? Someone of them will delete their reddit accounts but I'm betting most won't so I want to remind them how loving dumb they are whenever I'm bored.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Also if you're a Citizen and lurking, come defend this game marketing arg, I think we're just about worn moma out.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

It's more than that - SC backers equate Chris Roberts saying something with it being real. How can any company, however successful, compete with that? No matter what anyone does for real, Chris can just say "yeah but I'm doing more" and presto, just like that, it's true. Who can face that kind of power?
I started my career during the tech bubble of the 90s. Back then you had companies with tons of employees being bought out for tens of millions. The thing is: they never had a product. They had ideas, they had workers, concepts, mock ups, meetings; they had everything a company should have, except a product.

So this isn't something new, anyone that's worked for companies like CIG or for projects like SC can see the similarities. But instead of some huge company like Microsoft shelling out millions for dreamware, it's regular people.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
Fuzzy's up in front of the Judge on 17th April.

http://www.courtrecords.alaska.gov/...VTDvBnJe799GAIw

edit: ^^^ fuckedcompany.com was required daily reading during that time. I worked for 8 months without pay. mango.com, pets.com...business plans were written on cigarette packets.

Pud shut the site down years ago, but Wayback has archives; http://web.archive.org/web/20000815053459/http://www.fuckedcompany.com/

Hav fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 14, 2017

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Can someone post dreams.jpg/gif for me? Need it for another thread.
If there's some archive I don't know about which contains all the insane art and stuff that's come out of these threads please link too.

e: seeing as I'm here,

Sabreseven posted:

And their best response to Elite's curbstomping is their Archered version of Discord? gently caress this is all going fanfuckingtastically :D

ELE now in progress? Finally?
I don't think Elite is curbstomping anything except the sanity of the few remaining rational players.
And of course the nuts of the '84er grognards. But for those people that's what Elite is meant to be about; the masochism of subjecting yourself to hundreds of hours of endless meaningless boredom in the Void of gameplay.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 14, 2017

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Kibner posted:

"Limited number of discount starter packages". For digital goods.

"While supplies last." For digital goods.

I'm trying to get my humble bundle key for victor vran but the keys have been exhausted for weeks :smith:

So that's like almost the same thing I guess

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

doingitwrong posted:

Am I reading this right?

They've taken in more than $6,000 in the past two hours?

They take in $25,000-$50,000/DAY?

$900,000 is a LOW month?

They took in $7,750,000 in November 2016?

Yes, yes, yes and yes!

Welcome to our weird world where this happens

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Yes, yes, yes and yes!

Welcome to our weird world where this happens
I always assumed it's their community subscriber people who keep the thing ticking along at a base rate.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

sales blurb posted:

This Valentine’s Day, we’ve got love and rockets!

Love and Rockets is the classy strip club in Brisbane.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

El Grillo posted:

Can someone post dreams.jpg/gif for me? Need it for another thread.
If there's some archive I don't know about which contains all the insane art and stuff that's come out of these threads please link too.

e: seeing as I'm here,

I don't think Elite is curbstomping anything except the sanity of the few remaining rational players.
And of course the nuts of the '84er grognards. But for those people that's what Elite is meant to be about; the masochism of subjecting yourself to hundreds of hours of endless meaningless boredom in the Void of gameplay.

(sorry friend this is the only version i have)

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TrustmeImLegit posted:

All the valentine's day sales are "fresh cash" btw lol

No loving way :lol:

I love the stupid 2-for-1.9 sale, would have liked to see a new ship though

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
V Day sale doing really well:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Megabound posted:

Love and Rockets is the classy strip club in Brisbane.

The sheilas wear their clean dungarees?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

peter gabriel posted:

I've felt for a while now that Frontier are at the point where they can add stuff pretty much at will, it's their own engine and they have a few years under their belts now. It would be really interesting to see a side by side checklist of bullshit CIG promised vs stuff that's trickling into Elite for real.

You're saying they've finished the work on the pipelines so we can expect content creation at an accelerated rate from now on?

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheAgent posted:

I started my career during the tech bubble of the 90s. Back then you had companies with tons of employees being bought out for tens of millions. The thing is: they never had a product. They had ideas, they had workers, concepts, mock ups, meetings; they had everything a company should have, except a product.

So this isn't something new, anyone that's worked for companies like CIG or for projects like SC can see the similarities. But instead of some huge company like Microsoft shelling out millions for dreamware, it's regular people.

This is a more evolved form of that situation though.

Microsoft would dump money into someones dreams and eat a loss but eventually they would stop or move on.

CIG has monetized it's desperately stupid fanbase to the point where they are paying to reinforce their faith based viewpoint. Where Microsoft might do some kind of analysis or investigation into profitability and margins, backers instead spend more money to make themselves feel better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Lack of Gravitas posted:

(sorry friend this is the only version i have)
Lol of course. If anyone has the original I'd appreciate it.