Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

It has a 1/4 power switch on the back to drop it from 40W to 10W and at that wattage I can use it at the lower end of the volume knob very comfortably even when my 7 month old little dude is nearby. The clean channel without Overdrive switched on has a pretty usable 1/4 range of adjustment before it even starts getting louder, whereas with Overdrive on and also on the distortion channel it's more like the first 1/8th of its range is still reasonably "inside voice."

In full power mode it is loud as all gently caress and it'd probably attract police attention past halfway on the lead channel's master volume. I bet if you ran its speaker out into an efficient 4x12, somewhere on its volume knob the mole people would invade your home to complain about the noise down in the subterranean caves from whence they plot their eventual dominion. Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit but it's pretty dang loud man no kidding. I was having to turn it down while in the 10W mode in the store so as to not be obnoxiously blasting everyone out while taking it for a spin.

Smart features, great price (relatively speaking, you know?), killer sounds, just a real :allears: kinda amp for my tastes

Agreed fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I am keen to try out the Iconic. Which is kind of dumb because I don't really know what it could offer between my Jet City and Blackstar S1. They cover pretty much all that ground I could want.

But I still want a 5150 drat it.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Before the great man passed away, I was seeing EVHs selling second hand for less than 1kAUD.

Now they're all around 1250 and I really wish I picked one up earlier.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Ok, now I'm going to stop

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
gently caress you can get one of those iconic combos for $1100AUD at the moment. I'm gonna have to have a listen to a few clips/reviews later.

I'm currently rocking a Dark Terror through an old Laney 412 with HH speakers from the old GH-100 I swapped for the DT, and a Katana 50. The katana is nifty, but I mostly use it for recording or playing quietly through my interface and monitors, and don't really play with the tone studio app much, because plugging in the USB tends to mess around with Windows audio too much. It's a pain in the rear end to jump into a Teams call only to realise your guitar amp is trying to be your mic and headphones. Also tbh I'd rather use my own effects most of the time, but the lack of an effects loop on the 50w model is a huge bummer.

The dark terror sounds great at any gain setting, but I don't have a small cab for it so it's a pain to move around. I've also found the particularly dark nature of the preamp doesn't play as well with some of my drives as I'd like.

I was debating getting a katana 100 112 and maybe an orange TH30 down the line, but with the emulated line out, that iconic could potentially replace both of my amps (or even just the katana, I noticed you can unplug the speaker out on the Iconic) :eek:

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Captain Splendid posted:

Ok, now I'm going to stop

Lies.

(PS: Nor should you stop. Great pedal)

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Thank you, GG, pretty much everything you shared is news to me. That definitely will help me approach the model. I'm thinking for maximum 5150-ness you'd want to pair it with either a model of the factory cab (natch) or I bet an Orange or a Mesa work really well. Gonna guess V30s, Greenbacks, or a mixture.

The big a-ha moment is the Soldano factor. I can totally see getting to plug into a Soldano and thinking, O yeah this is the stuff. It's not vintage sounding, it's just mean af and to get that kind of saturation out of the amp without boosts, well it's the purple range on the Ampeg V100, ya know? I always wanted that Ampeg V50, personally. Because Paul.

Sure thing!

Personally I've never liked the Peavey 5150 factory cabs. My personal favorite high gain speaker cab sound with pretty much any high gain amp is an even mix between a Recto 4x12 with V30's and and EVH 4x12 cab with Heritage Greenbacks. If you can only choose one, go with the V30 cab. With your modeler, a mix of the Legacy Marshall Basketweave TV Mix cab and just about any of the Mesa Recto cabs will probably be a great start.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Can you groove with it at reasonable volume or is it a special time only thing?

I've had an Iconic in my studio and it has probably the most low-volume-friendly Master Volume control you can get. Very, very good low volume control.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 23, 2022

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Don Dongington posted:

It's a pain in the rear end to jump into a Teams call

That's true in any case tho.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

GreatGreen posted:

Sure thing!

Personally I've never liked the Peavey 5150 factory cabs. My personal favorite high gain speaker cab sound with pretty much any high gain amp is an even mix between a Recto 4x12 with V30's and and EVH 4x12 cab with Heritage Greenbacks. If you can only choose one, go with the V30 cab. With your modeler, a mix of the Legacy Marshall Basketweave TV Mix cab and just about any of the Mesa Recto cabs will probably be a great start.

I've had an Iconic in my studio and it has probably the most low-volume-friendly Master Volume control you can get. Very, very good low volume control.

Guitarist in one of my former bands had a 5150MK II with the original CAB, and the other one had a dual rec with a marshall 1960AV (Vintage 30s)

They swapped cabs a few times, and on the 5150 the 1960 with V30s definitely kicked the poo poo out of the Peavey CAB, which needs a fair bit of eq work to avoid sounding boomy or boxy. We also tested the head with both Vader and Mesa oversized cabs with the same speakers, and yeah in all cases I preferred the V30s for the sort of high-gain tight death/thrash metal we were doing.

I actually tested the same cab with my GH100 + tubescreamer combo and it was a similar story compared to my Laney cab with the HHs. They're less bottom heavy than the Jensens in the peavey, but the tight slightly mid-scooped nature of the V30s really lend themselves to really high gain amps.

I haven't A/B'd a 412 with V30s against the Laney cab with the Dark Terror, but I feel like it'd be less pronounced, as the Dark Terror feels a bit more compressed and scoopy out of the box, and doesn't need any work other than a tweak of the shape control to dial in a good sound in general. One day I'd love to sit down with this amp and try a few of the common options - GT75s, V30s, greenbacks, etc, against the HHs. I've only really tried it with my own cab and the peavey blue marvel in my old Studio Pro, which was open back and so had no bottom end with that speaker.

On another note, I watched a few reviews of the Iconic last night, including the Andertons one which was pretty decent. My one gripe with all of them is that they seemed to assume that given the pedigree, people were only going to use it to play Van Halen riffs or melodic death metal-adjacent stuff. I would have liked to have heard a bit more of what the clean channel can do. The 5150II had a really brittle and unpleasant clean/crunch channel, but that's not what it was built for. I know peavey can do a great blues/classic rock sound, hell the Transtube Studio Pro I had as my first decent combo had a pretty drat nice clean, and the Classic 30 and Delta Blues amps are still pretty legendary. I'd really like to know if that clean side can do anything other than 80s crunch or a really brittle 80s/90s clean.

My only gripe with the Dark Terror is it's lack of a second clean channel. You can't really use it to get the "Muff into a dialed clean as gently caress Hiwatt" sound I quite like, and the pushed amp on the edge of breakup thing is hard to acheive at volume because the gain needs to be at about .5. It can do a great breakup tone at a lower gain setting, but as soon as you put something like a Klon or a tube screamer in front of it, even with the pedal gain on 0 you're well past breakup and into 80s metal crunch town. A TH-30 would probably do all these things, but the addition of the emulated output and the combo factor on the peavey, plus $300AUD lower price is enticing.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

If you're in Australia you can sometimes find bargains on Hiwatt Hi Gain models. I highly recommend them. I've AB'd my Hi Gain 50 with a Custom 50 through similar cabs (both custom cabs, same Fanes) with an AB pedal. The Hi Gain clean channel is near as makes no difference bang on the Custom, on both Normal and Bright modes. If you don't like the dirt channel (it's okay to me, not amazing) then ignore it, and you have a Custom with FX loop and spring reverb for dirt cheap. I think I got my HG50 head and 412 cab (not Fanes, and the cab was later stolen) for like AU$900? That is a stupid cheap price for something I can testify is close enough to a "real" Hiwatt that it makes no loving difference.

But also yes, the iconic looks badass, but it's frustrating the limited demos available for 5150s, because it was designed as a versatile as gently caress amp, and it is. Playing a 5150II and 5150 III and the cleans on both a different but actually nice to my ears. It does clean, blues crunch all the way up to metal as gently caress. Yeah, it's a specific tone, but every amp is.

I've also had a eye opening time since using cab sims. Dial up a Recto cab and you can tweak a lot of amps to the same rough sound. But don't change the amps but swap the cab model and suddenly they all sound wildly different, because the way the amp interacts with cabs is immense. I've gotten usable metal sounds from my Bassman 100T's dirt channel, but you aren't gonna get the same sounds from every amp in every cab. Play around with cabs, it's fun!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Iconic has a really cool cabinet emulated out. I'm recording some stuff with it today as I can, but with three kiddos that is... a challenge! You can mute the power amp and it will even run speakerless while that is muted so it seems like it might really defeat it. I'm very impressed by this recording option and I look forward to uploading when I can get this tracked.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

syntaxfunction posted:

If you're in Australia you can sometimes find bargains on Hiwatt Hi Gain models.

I used to have one of these several years ago, super underrated amp imo. I'm bummed I sold it in one of my "gently caress guitar, I'm never playing again" fits.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Don Dongington posted:

Guitarist in one of my former bands had a 5150MK II with the original CAB, and the other one had a dual rec with a marshall 1960AV (Vintage 30s)

They swapped cabs a few times, and on the 5150 the 1960 with V30s definitely kicked the poo poo out of the Peavey CAB, which needs a fair bit of eq work to avoid sounding boomy or boxy. We also tested the head with both Vader and Mesa oversized cabs with the same speakers, and yeah in all cases I preferred the V30s for the sort of high-gain tight death/thrash metal we were doing.

I actually tested the same cab with my GH100 + tubescreamer combo and it was a similar story compared to my Laney cab with the HHs. They're less bottom heavy than the Jensens in the peavey, but the tight slightly mid-scooped nature of the V30s really lend themselves to really high gain amps.

I haven't A/B'd a 412 with V30s against the Laney cab with the Dark Terror, but I feel like it'd be less pronounced, as the Dark Terror feels a bit more compressed and scoopy out of the box, and doesn't need any work other than a tweak of the shape control to dial in a good sound in general. One day I'd love to sit down with this amp and try a few of the common options - GT75s, V30s, greenbacks, etc, against the HHs. I've only really tried it with my own cab and the peavey blue marvel in my old Studio Pro, which was open back and so had no bottom end with that speaker.

On another note, I watched a few reviews of the Iconic last night, including the Andertons one which was pretty decent. My one gripe with all of them is that they seemed to assume that given the pedigree, people were only going to use it to play Van Halen riffs or melodic death metal-adjacent stuff. I would have liked to have heard a bit more of what the clean channel can do. The 5150II had a really brittle and unpleasant clean/crunch channel, but that's not what it was built for. I know peavey can do a great blues/classic rock sound, hell the Transtube Studio Pro I had as my first decent combo had a pretty drat nice clean, and the Classic 30 and Delta Blues amps are still pretty legendary. I'd really like to know if that clean side can do anything other than 80s crunch or a really brittle 80s/90s clean.

My only gripe with the Dark Terror is it's lack of a second clean channel. You can't really use it to get the "Muff into a dialed clean as gently caress Hiwatt" sound I quite like, and the pushed amp on the edge of breakup thing is hard to acheive at volume because the gain needs to be at about .5. It can do a great breakup tone at a lower gain setting, but as soon as you put something like a Klon or a tube screamer in front of it, even with the pedal gain on 0 you're well past breakup and into 80s metal crunch town. A TH-30 would probably do all these things, but the addition of the emulated output and the combo factor on the peavey, plus $300AUD lower price is enticing.

Yeah, Mesa 4x12's with V30's and Marshall 4x12s with V30's are pretty much the industry standard 4x12 cabs for rock and metal stuff, and just about any "clear, high gain" type of sound. I'm a big fan of Heritage Greenbacks (medium magnet) as well because they're not too far from V30's, but the highs are just a tad bit less pronounced, so it's a slightly warmer, darker sound. I'll repeat that I'm specifically talking about Heritage Greenbacks you find in EVH 4x12's. Nowadays they've been relabeled to EVH signature speakers but they're literally Heritage Greenbacks with a different sticker on the back. Heritage Greenbacks differ slightly from standard Greenbacks in that the Heritage speakers don't have the same "papery" high end of Greenbacks. Those highs work wonderfully for clean and mid gain stuff but for modern high gain they're a bit much I think.

As for cabs in general, the more gain you use, the more important the cab becomes. This is because the more gain you dial, the more high frequency harmonics (basically the trebly fizz) content there is in the sound, and that's where the difference in speakers becomes the most pronounced. I'd say that with modern high gain, there's probably, without exaggeration, a 60/40 split between the the cab and amp as far as which one is "more influential" to the sound. Yes, with modern high gain, I actually believe the cab is more important than the amp for overall shaping your sound. While I like amps more (because they're more fun and get loud and they have knobs and buttons to mess with, whereas a cab just is exactly what it is and nothing else), cabs are ultimately more influential to a high gain sound than the amp.

I'm with you about being annoyed that all the guitar influencer types think 5150's are only for Van Halen and Djent. Not many people know this but 5150's are all over Nashville too. They're everywhere, really. They're just great sounding amps that produce big, full, even-sounding high gain tones in general. Put a telecaster through it and you have a great spanky, jangly distortion sound, etc. A lot of people say 5150's sound "generic," but I think the reason they think that is because 5150's sound so good and feel so good to play that everybody ended up buying one and then used them on everything, so you heard them everywhere. A 5150 isn't generic, it's a staple.

As for the Iconic's clean channel, I think it's good. It's not world changing or anything but it's more than fine. Put a compressor in front of it and some reverb and/or delay in the loop and it's more than fine for anything remotely Rock oriented.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
A Japanese Jackson Soloist for $175 is a deal, right?

Stock tuners replaced with locking Sperzels

Oddly, the same pawn shop I bought a Made in India Soloist last year. That one got flipped, not sure the fate of this one yet. Came with a non-labaled Gator hard foam case, too.

Talking to the guys at the shop it came from a guy that also pawned a Peavey Triple XXX Ultra and an Eastman acoustic and didn't come back for any of them. Those two are also on the sales floor, priced more realistically than one would think for a pawn shop.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

You robber!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Lovely

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
bet that jackson sound so good

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

widefault posted:

A Japanese Jackson Soloist for $175 is a deal, right?

Stock tuners replaced with locking Sperzels

Oddly, the same pawn shop I bought a Made in India Soloist last year. That one got flipped, not sure the fate of this one yet. Came with a non-labaled Gator hard foam case, too.

Talking to the guys at the shop it came from a guy that also pawned a Peavey Triple XXX Ultra and an Eastman acoustic and didn't come back for any of them. Those two are also on the sales floor, priced more realistically than one would think for a pawn shop.

Man what. That’s a score for sure.

I wish the pawn shops where I live weren’t filled with the waves of absolute bargain basements guitars that I see.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

Man what. That’s a score for sure.

I wish the pawn shops where I live weren’t filled with the waves of absolute bargain basements guitars that I see.

I've mentioned it a ton of times, but the two shops I stop at regularly have provided me with ridiculous deals for the last ~10 years now. The one place really prices anything Jackson cheap. I paid under $100 for the Made in India Soloist at the same shop, and previously bought a Made in India or Korea Jackson Kelly with hard case for $88 there. This is over a few years, with a bunch of different people working there under multiple managers. Probably helps Jacksons rarely have a model # on them, so they can't easily look them up.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I was able to get some stuff recorded today - here's where I'm at on a track I recorded today, still plenty left to go but it features plenty of the 5150 Iconic using its analog speaker emulated XLR out, with the power amp muted.

https://soundcloud.com/user-6129700...=social_sharing

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I was checking my soundcloud and just happened to catch your track. Fighting the urge to put bass under it.

That cleanish rhythm part is super cool, I like that swirly flangy ambient vibe.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Bass it up Dr. F, I'm gonna end up putting synth bass under it. I gotta get an Actual loving Bass again, this is a bunch of horse poo poo not being able to just track bass for my own songs, gonna... need to wait on a deal... it's been kind of a heavy month for getting stuff.

The Old Blood Noise Endeavors Visitor does heavy lifting on two parts, one of them is that one - that was in Trem primary and Trem secondary mode. I've got one of OBNE's Expression Rampers doing its thing on that too to help it get that feel, doing a square wave change between a lower and higher position on the expression at about the same rate as the primary trem. Pedals with expression pedal jacks are the poo poo, I got an Earthquaker Astral Destiny coming soon with one too. Gonna get WEIRDER.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Put a good MP3 up somewhere when you are ready and I'll link you to a dropbox with a wav file. I don't have poo poo better to do!

I spent the last two nights working with the block 5150 in my modeler and it sounds great. The next part was hilarious. I started comparing the end result to some other rig presets I have made (Friedmans, JCM800s, Carvin Legacies, Soldanos) and when I landed on my old scooped-as-gently caress MESA IIC+ preset it tore my loving head off and I suddenly wrote like four-five riffs in just a matter of minutes. Nothing fancy, just all attitude and bark. Thank gently caress I had Reaper open and caught them before they could get away. The only times these kinds of single-note riffs seem to jump out of me is when I a) play the MESA or b) turn on an octaver.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

I got a Pelican hardcase for taking stuff out to jam other places. I still need to cut the foam, want to run wires first and rearrange as necessary but this is looking like the best placement to me. I don't love where the keystation is, but that's on a long cord....

edit: very glad I got the 53" one instead of 48, that 5" is probably the difference between the mother 32 making it in here comfortably vs not. Now to get clock sync from the beatstep working with everything at once :lsd:

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm recording my fuzz pedals for the next round of demos...

I do not understand MK3 Tonebenders. It always sounds like something is broken.

Is that entirely the point?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

H13 posted:

I'm recording my fuzz pedals for the next round of demos...

I do not understand MK3 Tonebenders. It always sounds like something is broken.

Is that entirely the point?

Is it one of those germanium units that expect to see the specific impedance of a guitar pickup, and as such like to be the first thing plugged in after the guitar?

Also I need a recommendation - I'm going to pick up a 7 string with my tax return this year, looking at a Schecter C7 Deluxe atm which are going cheap at one of my locals. Buddy has one with the Duncan Nazgul/Sentient combo in it and it plays every bit like a 7 string version of my Hellraiser Extreme. I just love their necks, and they seem to be the right compromise between the solidbody chunk of a gibson and the playability of a pointy metal guitar. There's also a jackson 7 around the same price which I'm going to try, but I expect the Schecter will win me over once again.

I'm definitely going to swap out the pickups ASAP as it's a base model with base model pickups. Mostly looking to use it for stoner/doom/sludge though, and most of the pickups available around here are the aforementioned ultra-high-gain super articulate death metal style, like the nazgul/sentient, d-activator, EMGs etc. Most people seem to favour gibsons for that sort of music, but I actually want something that intonates and plays decently in Drop A or B standard tuning. SD Invaders were one thing I was looking at, but chasing recommendations for other suitable options available in a 7 string config.

There's also a bloke in my city who sells locally made hand-wired pickups he builds, so failing that, some advice about what I'd be looking for for that sort of style. I assume a sort of PAF arrangement would be the go to, but something that can vibe well with low-rear end tunings?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
DiMarzio makes a 7-string ToneZone. I went forever without a TZ until I got my RG1070 and I gotta say, I like it. But I have no idea if it will get you in the ballpark you wanna be in. It's a very hot pickup with a bit of a treble boost, but it's not insane (and it sounds damned good wired in parallel).

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Both my newest guitars took some damage last night in separate incidents and I'm over here like

There rolls the deep where grew the tree.
O earth, what changes hast thou seen!
There where the long street roars, hath been
The stillness of the central sea.

The hills are shadows, and they flow
From form to form, and nothing stands;
They melt like mist, the solid lands,
Like clouds they shape themselves and go.

:negative:

A fan fall into my Wylde Odin and chipped the tip of the horn's paint, got a bullshit spot repair for now that looks great from like 3 feet+ and I'll talk to a real luthier to see if it can be put back to its old state or just come to terms with the ding, and my green metallic fell onto my pedalboard and picked up two tiny dents (smaller than grains of rice, not even through the finish, on the edge of the guitar not the face thank goodness)

Life happens but gently caress dude I just got that Odin and part of what attracted me was its lack of damage, I swear to gently caress I will never buy a really expensive guitar, this feeling blows and if it were a $2k+, $4k+, or even more I'd probably have an aneurysm.

STILL SOUNDS AWESOME, didn't buy it for resale, but gently caress fans and gravity is a punk

Agreed fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 29, 2022

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Agreed posted:

gently caress fans and gravity is a punk

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

In happier news, the Earthquaker Warden Compressor is absolutely amazing. I've been wanting a really good opto-comp since I had to part with my old Diamond Bass Compressor. The Diamond shipped with an 18VDC adapter while the Warden uses an internal charge pump to get to 18V internally off of a standard 9V supply. Great Tone knob on it to add or remove some highs, independent control over Attack, Release, and Ratio as well as an overall Sustain control that adjusts how much signal is fed into the compressor internally, with a Level adjustment to get your output how you want it after adjusting all that. Man, it sounds sweet. Highly recommended - I thought I'd never use one I liked better than the Diamond, honestly, but here we are. It's the first pedal in my signal chain now and man it kills for me.

I also use a couple of J. Rockett Squeegee compressors - basically Dynacomps - in my signal chain, in different spots (one in my noise reduction loop after my dirts, one in my effects loop after my amp's preamp but before my time-based effects), with everything gain staged so they're not working too hard but they add their weight as the signal goes.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 29, 2022

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Don Dongington posted:

Is it one of those germanium units that expect to see the specific impedance of a guitar pickup, and as such like to be the first thing plugged in after the guitar?

Also I need a recommendation - I'm going to pick up a 7 string with my tax return this year, looking at a Schecter C7 Deluxe atm which are going cheap at one of my locals. Buddy has one with the Duncan Nazgul/Sentient combo in it and it plays every bit like a 7 string version of my Hellraiser Extreme. I just love their necks, and they seem to be the right compromise between the solidbody chunk of a gibson and the playability of a pointy metal guitar. There's also a jackson 7 around the same price which I'm going to try, but I expect the Schecter will win me over once again.

I'm definitely going to swap out the pickups ASAP as it's a base model with base model pickups. Mostly looking to use it for stoner/doom/sludge though, and most of the pickups available around here are the aforementioned ultra-high-gain super articulate death metal style, like the nazgul/sentient, d-activator, EMGs etc. Most people seem to favour gibsons for that sort of music, but I actually want something that intonates and plays decently in Drop A or B standard tuning. SD Invaders were one thing I was looking at, but chasing recommendations for other suitable options available in a 7 string config.

There's also a bloke in my city who sells locally made hand-wired pickups he builds, so failing that, some advice about what I'd be looking for for that sort of style. I assume a sort of PAF arrangement would be the go to, but something that can vibe well with low-rear end tunings?

DiMarzio PAF 7 would do the trick. No need to over-complicate it

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Agreed posted:

Both my newest guitars took some damage last night in separate incidents and I'm over here like

There rolls the deep where grew the tree.
O earth, what changes hast thou seen!
There where the long street roars, hath been
The stillness of the central sea.

The hills are shadows, and they flow
From form to form, and nothing stands;
They melt like mist, the solid lands,
Like clouds they shape themselves and go.

STILL SOUNDS AWESOME, didn't buy it for resale, but gently caress fans and gravity is a punk

My sympathies, I've wrecked one guitar this year so far. Also, I've had a fan fall from a window and give me a black eye when I was sleeping, they may be fans of mine, but I'm no fan of them.

I've had this for a bit but since I couldn't play it in my apt. I didn't show it off. Now that I'm in a new place I can actually practice. I bought a Boss Sy-300, and an electric pickup for this, you can see that little barrel near the mouthpiece, so presumably I'm going to have a half decent synth voice I can rather control with the trumpet. It's a relatively cheap horn but the action on the keys isn't utterly terrible. My point being that I'm making do without a good horn but since we're going through a synth anyway ... hoping to have some fun, serenade you guys with a little switched on Herb Alpert pretty soon.

ED:

petit choux fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 30, 2022

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Party to go accomplished. Annoyingly the audio out port on my OP-1 is getting funny and the daughterboards are loving hard to source, I may have to do a solder.

If anyone has a parts-grade OP-1 they want to sell me the connector daughterboard out of, $100 easy.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So as I posted earlier in the thread, I don't quite understand Tonebenders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyBIkRFl6p4

I've attempted to demo one for the channel, but I have no idea if I've done it "right"

Any recommendations\suggestions would be great!

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Also, my pedalboard arrived! I can now neatly arrange my personal setup.

I swap a few things out here and there depending what amp I'm running into. If I'm running into a Rectifier, the Timmy gets swapped for a Tubescreamer. If I'm wanting to do late-Floyd sorta stuff, I'll swap the Fuzz Phrase for a Muff. I've also got an EQD Dispatch Master running into the FX loop of...whatever amp that I'm playing into for "I AM A GOD" noises.

I also occasionally flirt with swapping out the Fuzz Phrase for my Colourdriver...

H13 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 9, 2022

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Beautiful board! I have that same Neo Leslie pedal. It's so good! I know Trey from Phish replaced his actual Leslie speaker with one.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

Beautiful board! I have that same Neo Leslie pedal. It's so good! I know Trey from Phish replaced his actual Leslie speaker with one.

It's amazing but I want the new one! Runs off 9v, standard size, a few tweakable knobs...

Pity they're the same price as what one of the Vents were, but I don't think I could sell this Vent for the same price to cover the cost of the new ones...

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

H13 posted:

Also, my pedalboard arrived! I can now neatly arrange my personal setup.

I swap a few things out here and there depending what amp I'm running into. If I'm running into a Rectifier, the Timmy gets swapped for a Tubescreamer. If I'm wanting to do late-Floyd sorta stuff, I'll swap the Fuzz Phrase for a Muff. I've also got an EQD Dispatch Master running into the FX loop of...whatever amp that I'm playing into for "I AM A GOD" noises.

I also occasionally flirt with swapping out the Fuzz Phrase for my Colourdriver...

I see that Dirty Tree you’ve got there! Awesome pedal. One of the best boosts I’ve ever tried. It can take an amp as loose as a Recto and make it as tight and articulate as anything out there.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
Got the donner bass, ready for a donner party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

GreatGreen posted:

I see that Dirty Tree you’ve got there! Awesome pedal. One of the best boosts I’ve ever tried. It can take an amp as loose as a Recto and make it as tight and articulate as anything out there.

That's exactly it. If you need an amp to get "br00tal" then the Dirty Tree boost is king. It's EQ is so aggressive that using it for anything else is a wash, but man. It's amazing into a Recto and it LOVES my Uberschall as well.

The Timmy is basically for all other drive needs ;)