Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Now John using the Kamehameha wave is canon. :allears:

Obligatory: http://youtu.be/lMcEBX74AWE

I have to watch this every time its posted. Its one of those infectious videous you cant avoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
It's kinda hard to tell from just a few frames, but as fired up as John is right now, Jack just seems... distracted.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

FronzelNeekburm posted:

It's kinda hard to tell from just a few frames, but as fired up as John is right now, Jack just seems... distracted.

He probably still thinks some psycho mailwoman with the same powers he does that has been chasing him for 2 years now is a bit more dangerous and in need of more focus than some psycho kid that just woke up.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

FronzelNeekburm posted:

"Man, who is this guy and what's his beef?

Looks kinda familiar, though."

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

GrizzlyCow posted:

I'm curious why PM doesn't use the Green/Red Miles on Jack. As it already been established, you cannot escape the Miles. Also, the thing can destroy an Universe.

Assuming she has the same destructive power (instead of an opposite, creative one); my bet would be that she actually cares about not causing collateral damage.

Kazy posted:

You must have missed Hussie's tweet declaring all ships canon :v:

The way I interpret this is to say that all the battleships in the Dersite and Prospitian fleets are named things like John:h:Rose, Nepeta:d:Equius, Everybody:s:Eridan and so on.

jonjonaug posted:

Who cares, he can't actually die no matter what right now since he's asleep.
It would be funny if he actually vanquished Jack Noir in this fight. "Yeah, I killed him in my sleep."

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Sep 30, 2012

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Are those Gushers flying out with every strike?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nah, I don't think so.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Yeah, they're just video game You Blocked An Attack! sparks or something of the sort. Similar effects were seen here - I don't think they're terribly meaningful other than that. It's quite likely that they appear in other scenes, I just checked that one because of the "Jack fighting someone who is wielding a Vriska-related weapon" connection.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I think you could tell a compelling story where Jack Noir has a change of heart. After all, his interaction with the kids and parents lasted for only several days, while his flight from PM has been two years.

I mean, no one would forgive him, but he might think about things differently.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Bobulus posted:

I think you could tell a compelling story where Jack Noir has a change of heart. After all, his interaction with the kids and parents lasted for only several days, while his flight from PM has been two years.

I mean, no one would forgive him, but he might think about things differently.

Where can you possibly go, psychologically, from Bec Noir? His whole motivations right now just seems to be "destroy everything!", he bounces across universes and dimensions and the only thing you can be sure of is he will try to slaughter whatever he finds there. He doesn't even seem to want to rule or anything, I mean he blew up troll Derse and killed anyone he came across on the Battlefield even after WV's rebellion.

Jack Noir's motivations in general are kind of hard to pin down. Would all of them start exploding planets if they could, or is Bec Noir particularly deranged, maybe from the ring or something? What do they want out of life besides not having to be arch-agent any more and killing the black queen? The constant stabbing thing is funny and all but it kind of makes it hard to pin down a character that's anything other than a psycho murderer.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

Dolash posted:

Where can you possibly go, psychologically, from Bec Noir? His whole motivations right now just seems to be "destroy everything!", he bounces across universes and dimensions and the only thing you can be sure of is he will try to slaughter whatever he finds there. He doesn't even seem to want to rule or anything, I mean he blew up troll Derse and killed anyone he came across on the Battlefield even after WV's rebellion.

Jack Noir's motivations in general are kind of hard to pin down. Would all of them start exploding planets if they could, or is Bec Noir particularly deranged, maybe from the ring or something? What do they want out of life besides not having to be arch-agent any more and killing the black queen? The constant stabbing thing is funny and all but it kind of makes it hard to pin down a character that's anything other than a psycho murderer.

A character that's a game construct and a chess analogue doesn't necessarily have to be anything other than a psycho murderer, although I agree in wanting some more development for the different Jacks.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

He's going to somehow make it back to Jade's side where he will be good dog, best friend once more.

Doug Rattman
Sep 10, 2011

Formerly known as Doug Rattman

Dolash posted:

He is the physical manifestation of hate (:s:). I'm not sure if he really needs any clear motivations. The way I see it, he just wants to destroy. Two different Jacks have already destroyed their respective universes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Doug Rattman posted:

He is the physical manifestation of hate (:s:). I'm not sure if he really needs any clear motivations. The way I see it, he just wants to destroy. Two different Jacks have already destroyed their respective universes.

Yeah, the whole reason Bec Noir is such a walking (flying, teleporting) disaster is because Jack is a construct of Sburb programmed specifically for self-serving chaos and destruction, so when you give him phenomenal cosmic power then you get destruction on a phenomenal cosmic scale. The one glimpse we get into his psyche post-prototyping says outright that murdering things is his sole form of recreation and gosh darn it, plain old stabbing doesn't cut it anymore when you're a god. Presumably the only reason Spades Slick was able to do anything constructive was because he had the rest of his crew keeping him in check. Then they disappeared, and look what happened, he ended the universe again.

For that same reason, Jack is and always has been sort of a dead end of a character. Hussie said himself that after seizing the ring, he existed not for his personality but for his purpose as this constant, looming threat that the kids always labored under, to the point where he initiated the final death of their universe and effectively started the "countdown" to Cascade. Now that his task is done and Lord English has supplanted his role in the story, him being casually eviscerated in the Furthest Ring among one of his rampages' frozen remains wouldn't be that bad a conclusion to his arc.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Indecisive posted:

He's going to somehow make it back to Jade's side where he will be good dog, best friend once more.

This is what I really hope for, but that I think will never happen. That at the end, once Jack is vanquished once and for all, something will happen with PM and Jack's rings and they will begin to start to spit out (figuratively, not literally) everything the kids' kernels were prototyped with as the orbs on the ring disappear one by one. The harlequin doll goes, Rose's tentacle doll, Dave's dead crow with a lovely katana through it, and finally Bec. Because Bec is good dog, best friend. :(
(and maybe all that other stuff like Nana's ashes, a doomed offshoot Dave, Jade's dead dream self, and Jaspers's body.)

normal contact
Mar 19, 2010

And so we're up to $1,900,000 for the Kickstarter with four days to go. Bets on whether they'll make it to the big two million?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

normal contact posted:

And so we're up to $1,900,000 for the Kickstarter with four days to go. Bets on whether they'll make it to the big two million?

Seems likely. Don't Kickstarters often get a boost at the end?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
He should gently caress with people on the last day and make whatever the next unlockable tier that they will never be able to reach in time "Bonus side story: Nepeta Quest".

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
"I will draw a short comic with your ship of choice"

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Honestly, if he plays it carefully, makes the $2,500,000 stretch goal really interesting, and adds another pak type, then I can see him making it. (Especially with the subsequent two weeks of Paypal pledges.)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If John does in fact beat Jack here (it doesn't much matter whether it's fatal or not, because PM will presumably finish the job), then the question becomes: what then? Will the meteor riders witness two super-prototyped carapaces fly into a bubble slightly out of their way, but only one fly out? What will they assume it was that finally did him in? Will they panic and go off course on the assumption that Lord English himself is closing in on them?

Hm. Would a perfect roll on that hammer be enough to crack space?

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Dolash posted:

Have people forgotten the Midnight Crew intermission already? Much like uu, it was a rather slick(pun not intended) way to sneak in characterization of a major villian without us even knowing it(at the time).

Bec Noir was going crazy early on with the thought of what his eventual boredom will bring, wondering what he would do when he had nothing left to destroy. With the Troll session Jack who would become Slick, we saw what DID happen when he had nothing left to destroy. The fact that a Dersite had the willpower and means to build an entire city and pretty much run it, is pretty impressive. Jack and Slick have different circumstances and years between them, but they're still the same person, so to say that Jack is a total dead end in motivation is just slightly off.

He may just need time to grow more motivation, and while he did all his Godly Temper Tantrum killing and destroying in the span of 24 hours, now he's already had a few years. Granted, most of them spent with less thinking and more fighting retreat, but still.

Plus, if one wants to go the exceptionally cheesy route, maybe Jack's ring-enforced puppy love for Jade might teach him something about positive feelings at some point. (Alternately, his fascination with PM, but I'm not sure anything will come of that since it looks like PM's not going to stop being mad at him anytime soon for murdering her friends and kingdom.) If the primary cast of characters is able to grow during our three year intermission, and this story is focused upon that sort of thing, then I won't necessarily count Jack out just yet. I feel like he's been at a point now where he might either evolve a bit as a character, or die, and while I'm not too optimistic, I do believe the potential could be there.

Midnight Raider fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 30, 2012

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
I feel like existing characters interacting with other existing characters in a situation where it's debatable whether or not they can do any permanent damage to eachother isn't really going to bring about any great significance on the story.

Dream bubbles can contain many people however, and I stand by my previous prediction that calliope is out there somewhere, just waiting to be discovered.

Jack noir has no personal motivations - at one point he may well have had them, but his meteoric rise to power and insane destructive acts (going from killing a battlefield full of soldiers to killing an entire loving multiverse in less than 24 hours) seems to have scrubbed them clean and now he only really exists to destroy. If he remains relevant to the story, it will not be as a character but as a weapon.

The fighting dogs are just begging to be recruited by a higher power, the question is who's gonna be the one to hold their leashes? Will calliope convince them to stay and be her guardians? Will caliborn bring them to heel using his insane DO YOU WANT TO PLAY A GAME manipulation skills? Will lord english enslave them as he has done with so many other characters, forcing them to do his own bidding? Will the condense use her immense psychic troll powers to brainwash them into fighting alongside her, as she has done with GCAT? Hell, maybe jade will jump into the dream bubble along with john, and both of the dogs will jump at the opportunity to provide her with more canine loyalty.

And it's not like the two dogs can be split up. They're of exactly equal power, neither of them has the combat advantage over the either. They can't be pitched against eachother because, as we've seen for the last two years, it will be an eternal stalemate not unlike that of the two kings on the unprototyped battlefield. In order to have any significance as a fighting force, they will have to be recruited together, or not at all.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rooreelooo posted:

Dream bubbles can contain many people however, and I stand by my previous prediction that calliope is out there somewhere, just waiting to be discovered.

This isn't even a prediction, it's an explicitly stated plot point. The whole reason Lord English is massacring his way across the Furthest Ring is to locate and destroy Calliope's ghost, thereby removing the last possible threat to his power.

There's also a decent chance that Calliope is actually sealed in the very same dreambubble that the horrible Beta Trolls are in, since Kurloz's sealed zone contained a Sarswapagus and the Crowbar right next to one another.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Rooreelooo posted:

And it's not like the two dogs can be split up. They're of exactly equal power, neither of them has the combat advantage over the either. They can't be pitched against eachother because, as we've seen for the last two years, it will be an eternal stalemate not unlike that of the two kings on the unprototyped battlefield. In order to have any significance as a fighting force, they will have to be recruited together, or not at all.

I'm going to disagree here, and here's why. The last two years haven't been a very good example of what would happen if they tried to fight at all. They were spent with one party retreating. That's not a fight, that's a chase. They're different things. Additionally, while your claim about them having exactly equal power is true, that is ultimately meaningless, because they don't necessarily have exactly equal skill, which becomes incredibly important when neither party can overpower one another.

Also, they can be split up just fine. They're opposing forces, but also separate characters. It's entirely possible that Jack will wind up working with the Condesce while PM works with the kids, retaining their opposite forces. To bring it back to the two kings, it makes no sense that you would be able to recruit the Black and White kings to the same side. They're at war with one another.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I don't think those dice will be so fortunate without Lady Luck to blow on them.

Edit: haha, unless Jack n' John wandered into Beta Vriska's dream.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Jack could try a nice sit-down and a chat, but it probably won't go anywhere productive.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Oxxidation posted:

This isn't even a prediction, it's an explicitly stated plot point. The whole reason Lord English is massacring his way across the Furthest Ring is to locate and destroy Calliope's ghost, thereby removing the last possible threat to his power.

There's also a decent chance that Calliope is actually sealed in the very same dreambubble that the horrible Beta Trolls are in, since Kurloz's sealed zone contained a Sarswapagus and the Crowbar right next to one another.

That box in Kurloz' hideaway does not contain a sarswapagus. It contains a juju chest like this one, which looks nothing like the sarswapagus. (But you're right that at this point we have no reason to believe Calliope isn't somewhere out in bubble land, since there's also currently no particular reason to assume we (and Aranea) are mistaken about LE's reasons for going around smashing up bubbles; and all the objects from her room showing up in the bubble do suggest one of the two might be about to make an appearance.)

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Seconding everyone who's emphasizing that Jack is just a game construct and is sorta dumb to humanize, but I wonder if these things aren't totally irreconcilable? Bec Noir's already completed his purpose and destroyed his universe; maybe his drive to destroy has been sort of washed away after accomplishing his goal? Hussie's always been careful to keep Jack kind of cutesily simple and naive despite all of the awful things he ever does, so redemption for the character isn't entirely out of consideration.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Oxxidation posted:

When was that stated?

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
It wasn't stated with full omniscient narrator's authority, if that's what you're asking - but Aranea mentioned she'd come to this conclusion during the first part of this intermission. Meenah brings it up again when she runs into Aranea in the second part (because Aranea also said she was going to look for Calliope herself, not that she's actually done much of that), but other than that I don't think it's come up; Kurloz doesn't say anything quite so specific about LE's plans, for example.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

It's a pretty fair assumption. And he did say:

Caliborn posted:

I'M GOING TO KILL YOu IN YOuR SLEEP.
MAYBE EVEN.
MORE THAN ONCE.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

snucks posted:

Seconding everyone who's emphasizing that Jack is just a game construct and is sorta dumb to humanize, but I wonder if these things aren't totally irreconcilable? Bec Noir's already completed his purpose and destroyed his universe; maybe his drive to destroy has been sort of washed away after accomplishing his goal? Hussie's always been careful to keep Jack kind of cutesily simple and naive despite all of the awful things he ever does, so redemption for the character isn't entirely out of consideration.

I'm pretty sure no one would even consider forgiving Bec Noir for his past crimes. John, Dave, and Rose hate him for killing their Guardians, and the trolls hate him for loving up their victory and trying to kill them. Only Karkat could possibly be forgiving, but Bec Noir isn't his Jack. Spade Slick would be another story entirely, but I'm pretty sure Bec Noir has only one role left: a courier for the ring.

Anyway, I don't think Bec Noir is done destroying. As long as there are more Bilious Slicks out there, Bec Noir has a mission, a purpose.

Midnight Raider posted:

Bec Noir was going crazy early on with the thought of what his eventual boredom will bring, wondering what he would do when he had nothing left to destroy. With the Troll session Jack who would become Slick, we saw what DID happen when he had nothing left to destroy. The fact that a Dersite had the willpower and means to build an entire city and pretty much run it, is pretty impressive. Jack and Slick have different circumstances and years between them, but they're still the same person, so to say that Jack is a total dead end in motivation is just slightly off.

I tend to think of Spade Slick and Bec Noir as two different people. They have similar roots, but their experiences differentiate them wildly. Anyway, we don't know how much the Midnight Crew influenced Slick's constructive attitude. I like to think Diamonds Droog was one of the reasons ended doing anything other than pointlessly massacre everyone he met.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Bell_ posted:

I don't think those dice will be so fortunate without Lady Luck to blow on them.

Edit: haha, unless Jack n' John wandered into Beta Vriska's dream.
I really need a version of Mulder's I Want to Believe poster with beta Vriska in place of the UFO.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

GrizzlyCow posted:

I like to think Diamonds Droog was one of the reasons ended doing anything other than pointlessly massacre everyone he met.

The Draconian Dignitary isn't above pointlessly massacring everybody, either.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

The Draconian Dignitary isn't above pointlessly massacring everybody, either.

Well, that wasn't intentionally pointless, just a failure to kill the targets. He's not a fan of "perfectly useless genocides".

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Bongo Bill posted:

Well, that wasn't intentionally pointless, just a failure to kill the targets. He's not a fan of "perfectly useless genocides".

He's certainly a fan of overkill though. I remember being flabbergasted at the idea he was gonna tear Derse apart with the ring just to get Dirk, and actually arguing that he must just be doing some sort of thorough search that'll leave Derse otherwise intact. It's one of the acts that makes me think maybe the ring has a warping effect on the psyche of the wearer (which might also help explain WV's prophetic dream of wearing the ring and going nuts).

What's actually quite neat about Jack Noir is how each instance of the character has been given a different narrative treatment to give us a different perspective on them as an individual. Spades Slick got the anti-hero treatment where we never seem him doing anything really offensive to us (murdering innocent people) even though in the right circumstances he still would. Spades Slick is instead unleashed toward the main villain and even given oddly sympathetic scenes with Karkat. Then there's post-scratch Jack Noir who's more of a comic relief fall-guy type who kills a whole slew of Prospitans so we get that he's a big meanie jerk but he's clearly not very important.

Bec Noir, however, gets the full villain treatment. Slaughtering characters we like, being portrayed in a monstrous light, even killing members of his crew that we like or who might mitigate him, he's an unambiguous Bad Guy even though he's still the same root person. There's no way Bec Noir will be "redeemed" in any way whatsoever. His goofy murderer act is just some comic relief to offset the truly heinous poo poo he does, but he still does heinous poo poo and the story treats it as such. At best he might become someone's tool, weapon, or ally of convenience.

Westen
Nov 6, 2011
My bet is that Bec Noir is going to make it to Earth's alpha session, along with Spades Slick, they will be dumped into one of the unused sprite kernels as some sort of anti-Lord English super weapon. And BOY is he gonna be good at stabbing things.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I'd say Jack was disarmed, but that happened as soon as he put the ring on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Go John, go! Now Jack has been disarmed twice!

e: Beaten like Nepeta with juggling clubs.