Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, cracking open X-2 HD, they've got this whole creature trainer thing and a creature battle mechanic. Only two problems: the creatures in the tournament are really hard and the creatures I get from trapping kinda suck. Except for the protochimera. Do I just have to wait until later to level everyone up or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
The tournaments are meant to be very difficult for YRP when you first start, and small/medium monsters aren't especially more powerful than YRP till much later. If you want to do tournaments early, use large monsters. I recommend, in Chapter 1, Flame Dragons from Besaid.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mr E posted:

I just got the HD FFX/X-2. Should I bother with the Expert grid, or not? I'm planning on taking Khimari down Rikku's path, then Wakka's, but I'm not sure if it's worth going Expert for that.

Yeah do it. If you want you can keep characters on their intended path, but if you don't mind spending some sphere levels here and there you can do stuff like give Wakka a quick detour to get Auron abilities and such.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Ah poo poo I forgot to talk to Clasko in chapter 1 of X-2 and then did the chocobo eater side mission and recruited that girl and the chocobo in chapter 2 without talking to him. Still in chapter 2 but I think it might be too late for me to get the alchemist dressphere. Anyone remember if its good? Worth re starting the game over?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Blitzball is not as bad as everyone made me remember it being. I sort of enjoyed that match you're forced to play :v:

Is there anyone I should start to recruit as early as possible? I don't want to dump exp into the terrible starting guys if I can help it. I remember you could recruit Biggs and Wedge pretty early.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Blitzball is not as bad as everyone made me remember it being. I sort of enjoyed that match you're forced to play :v:

Is there anyone I should start to recruit as early as possible? I don't want to dump exp into the terrible starting guys if I can help it. I remember you could recruit Biggs and Wedge pretty early.

Good players you can get early-ish: Tatts in Kilika, who has Invisible Shot, and Kyou near Djose Temple, who's a pretty good goalie.

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

precision posted:

The Expert grid is better in pretty much every way, you have a lot more opportunities to take little detours to round out characters' weak points. There's no real reason not to use it, because you can still take everyone down "their" path anyway.

It depends on your goals. The standard sphere grid is much better for beginners and for people who are interested in post-game content, since there are way more nodes on the standard grid making it easier to max your characters stats, and the locks help new players not get lost. Expert is useful if you want to fine-tune your characters for the story playthrough, or if you want to do something fun like play Auron as your white mage and Yuna as your warrior or something.

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Get Wedge from the stadium to play striker, get Ropp from the Miihen agency as a MF / Defender, get Jumal from Luca near the fountain as a GK who starts with 14CA and super goalie already learned, get Kyou from near Djose temple and Miyu from the moonflow as defenders, and you will clean up. Then get Brother when you get on the airship. Sign any Al Bhed Psyches that come available (particularly Nimrook or Blappa)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Systematic System posted:

The tournaments are meant to be very difficult for YRP when you first start, and small/medium monsters aren't especially more powerful than YRP till much later. If you want to do tournaments early, use large monsters. I recommend, in Chapter 1, Flame Dragons from Besaid.

Ooh, thanks. Good tip.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

NeoNaoNeo posted:

It depends on your goals. The standard sphere grid is much better for beginners and for people who are interested in post-game content, since there are way more nodes on the standard grid making it easier to max your characters stats, and the locks help new players not get lost. Expert is useful if you want to fine-tune your characters for the story playthrough, or if you want to do something fun like play Auron as your white mage and Yuna as your warrior or something.

It looks very difficult to actually switch roles around so radically like that until late/post-game, though, isn't it? I mean, it's easy to switch Yuna and Lulu's roles, or switch Tidus and Auron, but actually doing a complete switch of Yuna to a heavy hitter looked really arduous.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

I stand by my words.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

precision posted:

It looks very difficult to actually switch roles around so radically like that until late/post-game, though, isn't it? I mean, it's easy to switch Yuna and Lulu's roles, or switch Tidus and Auron, but actually doing a complete switch of Yuna to a heavy hitter looked really arduous.

You still can't totally; its not as though the properties of people's weapons change so Yuna's celestial Weapons will never have pierce and Auron will never get 1mp. Its more of an interesting novelty/difficulty increase to switch people's roles.

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

mcswizzle posted:

I stand by my words.

I have never struggled with that game and regularly win by 3 or 4 goals.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Barudak posted:

You still can't totally; its not as though the properties of people's weapons change so Yuna's celestial Weapons will never have pierce and Auron will never get 1mp. Its more of an interesting novelty/difficulty increase to switch people's roles.

Not by default, no. But you can customize both of them onto weapons.

Edit: And if you're switching roles that drastically, you're shooting yourself in the foot if you use the Celestial Weapons anyway.

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 25, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Thanks for the Blitzball tips guys.

Also I don't know if it is because this is the HD version but Auron is CLEARLY Jeff goldblum

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

NeoNaoNeo posted:

I have never struggled with that game and regularly win by 3 or 4 goals.

The other night was the first time I was ever able to win, and even then it was in triple overtime. The opposing team got an early goal, and I tied it up with a Jecht shot, but then Wakka tagged in and even though I got a Venom shot off, it just poisoned the keeper and I didn't score. Cue triple OT and I nail a venom shot from further away and through 2 defenders but vOv.

I had so much trouble with it when I was younger that I gave up on it. Maybe it's easier now that I'm older and I'm putting myself on a higher pedestal than I should but it was a great accomplishment for me.

To be clear, I did say that my wife is pretty OK too and I'm happy with and proud of her. It was just after 10 people were like "uuuuwhaaaaa?" and wasn't as funny.

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

I find the AI is horrendously bad and is prone to doing stupid stuff like having its strikers go to the goal stop and then pass backwards.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
gently caress the Chocobo race. I get it is suppose to be difficult but I can think of things that would make it slightly easier while still maintaining it's difficultly.

1)Don't have a penalty time for the birds. You are already losing time when stunned so you actually lose almost double the time for every bird you hot.

2)Change some of the hit boxes. I have been stunned by being grazed by a bird's wing I have also be hit by a half invisible bird. When the bird starts to disappear, the hit box should cease to exist. Also bird can stick to you while your stunned which is very irritating.

3)Don't make the time a statistical improbability. Make it something between 5-10 secs. it still took me over an hour just to get to 8 secs.

4)Don't make the birds home in on the racers. I see birds change there angle just slightly when I'm about the pass and hit me.

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 25, 2014

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
If you don't start with 2-3 balloons right in your path, let the match run itself because you're not getting a perfect score. After the first turn, try to stick to the right, you'll have more time to react on the right than the left. Also coming from the right will give you wide turn onto the final section, letting you grab more balloons. On the final stretch I find the left side a little more friendly.

Also steer with the d pad, it'll turn a lot faster than the joystick.

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Can you obtain more than one AP Egg via Blitzball in FFX-2? I've seen it come up in League games as well as tournaments. I won one via tournament, wondering if it's worth trying to grind for more.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

keiran_helcyan posted:

If you don't start with 2-3 balloons right in your path, let the match run itself because you're not getting a perfect score. After the first turn, try to stick to the right, you'll have more time to react on the right than the left. Also coming from the right will give you wide turn onto the final section, letting you grab more balloons. On the final stretch I find the left side a little more friendly.

Also steer with the d pad, it'll turn a lot faster than the joystick.

I'm trying this and I am barely collecting any balloons after the decent. My points still stand. If the trainer and I are getting hit by the same bird flying between us then the hit boxes are too big.

EDIT FINA-loving-LY GOT IT.

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 25, 2014

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Balthesar posted:

Can you obtain more than one AP Egg via Blitzball in FFX-2? I've seen it come up in League games as well as tournaments. I won one via tournament, wondering if it's worth trying to grind for more.

You can get, I think, two per playthrough. Once from Blitzball, and then another from the Chocobo Dungeon. If you're playing the International/HD version, you might be able to get more from the tournaments there.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

mcswizzle posted:

I stand by my words.

I won it for the first time over the weekend after a couple of soft resets. I got lucky and somehow went up 3-0 in the first half because of AI weirdness :v:.

Zeuhl
Dec 15, 2009

hand is free

S-Alpha posted:

You can walk all the way back to Besaid at any point you want, really. If you're gonna run all the way back to Besaid, you might want to wait until you're through Macalania woods, since you may want to run back to get one of Auron's spheres at the same time.

I'm in Macalania Woods now, I got all the destruction spheres, so if I complete Macalania Woods and still want to back-track, what should I be looking to get?

-An Overdrive for Auron(where?)
-Valefor's second overdrive(without having to fight dark valefor)
-I want to get Anima, am I good so far?

Anything else worth doing while backtracking?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I loved Blitzball, but the worst thing to ever be committed to game code is the thing where defenders suddenly and often arbitrarily teleport in front of you to defend a shot. I hate the person who thought of that more than almost anything ever.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
Got the Sun Sigil after 15 minutes. :smug:

No seriously, I'm actually loving proud right now. I remember getting it back when I first played this game but it took 3+ hours. Now I only have to worry about the lightning dodger...

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Zeuhl posted:

I'm in Macalania Woods now, I got all the destruction spheres, so if I complete Macalania Woods and still want to back-track, what should I be looking to get?

-An Overdrive for Auron(where?)
-Valefor's second overdrive(without having to fight dark valefor)
-I want to get Anima, am I good so far?

Anything else worth doing while backtracking?

Proceed through Macalania until you beat Spherimorph and unlock Jecht Spheres, but don't keep going after that to the icy part of Macalania.

Get the Jecht Sphere in Besaid Village. While you're at it, you can get quite a few other Jecht Spheres as you backtrack, but the one in Besaid Village is the important one that Dark Valefor would block you from. The full list that you can backtrack for:

1. Southern Macalania Forest
2. Southern Thunder Plains
3. South side of Moonflow
4. Mushroom Rock Road
5. Mi'ihen Highroad (Oldroad)
6. Luca Blitzball Stadium
7. SS Liki
8. Besaid Village

Those, plus the initial one you get for Spherimorph, are 9/10 of the spheres; the last one is much later, on Mount Gagazet.

Otherwise yes, you've pretty much got it (grab Valefor's second OD, and you're good for Anima if you get all the destruction sphere treasures, notably Besaid and Macalania). As far as other missables go, be careful about collecting the Al Bhed Primers in Home and Bevelle - all of them tend to be a case of "went one room too far? gently caress you no backtracking". You may want to refer to a walkthrough for that part, just to be sure you don't miss them.

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.

Brasseye posted:

Ah poo poo I forgot to talk to Clasko in chapter 1 of X-2 and then did the chocobo eater side mission and recruited that girl and the chocobo in chapter 2 without talking to him. Still in chapter 2 but I think it might be too late for me to get the alchemist dressphere. Anyone remember if its good? Worth re starting the game over?

You can totally do the endgame without it, that happened to me with my first playthrough back in the day. However, Alchemist is really OP in the healing department, so if you're rolling with Dark Knights and/or Berserkers, they're really helpful. And there are some harder enemies and bosses that take out MP in attacks, so unless you set up your mage to have both White Magic and Osmose, it can get annoying to not have a good item-based healer.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
For all those dreading FFX lightning dodging:

1) Get a No-Encounters item. Easiest place way is defeating Geosgaeno after returning to Baaj temple at about a 50% drop rate. Before that it's possible for Ghosts in the Yojimbo cave to drop them, but that's a rare fight at about a 2% rare drop rate so uh, no.

2) Look at . The first image is the bottom screen of the plains, the second is the top. Stand at one of the places marked 3x lightning; there lightning will reliably strike about every 5 seconds, keeping the quest short and easy as your reflexes will always be primed.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Xenogenesis posted:

1) Get a No-Encounters item. Easiest place way is defeating Geosgaeno after returning to Baaj temple at about a 50% drop rate. Before that it's possible for Ghosts in the Yojimbo cave to drop them, but that's a rare fight at about a 2% rare drop rate so uh, no.

2) Look at . The first image is the bottom screen of the plains, the second is the top. Stand at one of the places marked 3x lightning; there lightning will reliably strike about every 5 seconds, keeping the quest short and easy as your reflexes will always be primed.

endorsing this and also suggesting you mute your TV

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Xenogenesis posted:

Isn't there some Lance weapon that actually comes with Enc-None on it by default?

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Geosgaeno can drop weapons with No-Encounters on it, including Lances. It's impossible to get No-Encounters on weapons any other way.

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

Systematic System posted:

Geosgaeno can drop weapons with No-Encounters on it, including Lances. It's impossible to get No-Encounters on weapons any other way.

You can customise it.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

NeoNaoNeo posted:

You can customise it.
He means *weapons* specifically. You customize No Encounters on armors.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
I did say weapons didn't I? Ghosts and Wraiths can drop armor with it at a 2% drop rate, and you can customize it on armor with 30 Purifying Salts.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
The way I did the lightning dodging first time was to unfocus my eyes a bit and not really focus on anything on the screen, and press X when the screen flashed. Do that ten times, pause, and do something else for a minute or two. Repeat til you've done that twenty times. Then, do it a couple more times in case you miscounted. Takes longer, I suppose, but feels less arduous.

gently caress the butterfly catching though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I found the butterfly catching much easier in this version. Took me like three tries.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
I don't know how people put up with Chocobo racing/breeding in FFVII. As a kid it seemed like a lot of work and they do not explain the breeding system very much at all. They also don't tell you that holding L2 or something makes your bird's stamina refill in the middle of races.

At least the rewards for having a Gold Chocobo are total gamebreakers, not like a lovely sword or whatever.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Excels posted:

I don't know how people put up with Chocobo racing/breeding in FFVII. As a kid it seemed like a lot of work and they do not explain the breeding system very much at all. They also don't tell you that holding L2 or something makes your bird's stamina refill in the middle of races.

At least the rewards for having a Gold Chocobo are total gamebreakers, not like a lovely sword or whatever.

That was back when all you had to do for ultimate weapons was go kill a dragon or find a treasure chest. Now you have bird dodging, lighting games, butterfly catching and leaving 4 specific chests untouched until about 2/3 of the way through the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
The Zodiac Spear is the dumbest secret in any RPG ever there I said it