Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

its sad that after watching how loving virtual on luffy punchout has brilliant controls that allow for angled shots and they trot out this EA man who sleeply says they respect nintendo for having creativity.
There is no way in hell they will do something like ARMS did for angled kicks right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Pureauthor posted:

I'm coming at this from the perspective of someone who buys all the Nintendo handhelds and gives 0 shits about any of the consoles, so my perspective is of course badly skewed, but

This is exactly why I'm pissed at the Switch. It's saddled with a bunch of compromises from Nintendo trying very badly for this to be a viable hybrid system and the tradeoffs are of no benefit to me. The home console side of things was a giant albatross around Nintendo's neck and instead of cutting it off they're cannibalizing their far more successful handheld line (in market conditions that have been far, far more hostile to the idea of such a dedicated gaming system even existing) in order to try to prop it up.

Yes I very much would have preferred a new version of the DS.

Except a new version of the DS would be a bad idea for exactly the reason you said - market conditions are far more hostile to the idea of a dedicated portable system than before. The only way to do that is to go bigger, and to be frank, with the 3DS already managing ports of Wii U software comfortably, stripped down portable wii u would have been far too lacking. The only way to compete would be to go bigger.

And guess what that'd resemble?

The Switch.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'm just happy that I may get a somewhat comfortable Nintendo handheld again. I love the DS and the 3DS libraries but god drat are they unergonomic as gently caress. My N3DSXL is the worst of them all and I have a hard time playing more than an hour without some cramps.

I'm warming up to Arms but I don't like the art style and wish it was Teleroboxer 2. It looks a little too Overwatchish for my tastes.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

How big/tiny are your hands?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Infinitum posted:

How big/tiny are your hands?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO91mX4K8r8

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

How can you not be hype for this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMeqp2ZUF6E

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

ethanol posted:

i want to thank nintnedo and this thread for all it has given me in the form of tremendous letdowns, in honor I have written my opus maximus

https://soundcloud.com/user-105123296/project-11317-1029-pm

only listen if you want to stare into... my soul

Think your link is busted brother.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

because precisely one of them (BotW) is coming out at launch and seems any good

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Because I have a PS4, a bone (sigh I'm dum), a 360, a PS3 w/ ps1/ps2 compatability, a N64, a gamecube, a wii, a wii u, a 3ds, a gba sp, a Vita and a PSP w/ CFW, and a decently powerful PC.

So basically I can play any game that is released and most that have ever been released. My favorite consoles are Nintendos and I was very excited for this launch.

I am not excited for a broken pay for online play system. I am not excited for having to use my phone to do online stuff, either. I am not hype for Just Dance. I am not hype for Skylanders. I do not want 1 2 Switch in a boat. I do not want Bomberman in a moat. I don't care about Splatoon dude. I apologize if you find me rude.

But think about it. There are only 5 launch titles. 2 of which are complete garbage. 1 should have been free and packed in. It is not an exciting launch.

I really hope they have better news next week. But I suspect it will be more coming soon poo poo.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
A guy who owns that many video game systems, several of which make the other redundant, getting this indignant about a console's launch titles being underwhelming is just about the most hilarious thing I've ever seen.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Waltzing Along posted:

Because I have a PS4, a bone (sigh I'm dum), a 360, a PS3 w/ ps1/ps2 compatability, a N64, a gamecube, a wii, a wii u, a 3ds, a gba sp, a Vita and a PSP w/ CFW, and a decently powerful PC.

You said in the Mass Effect topic that you have pre-ordered a Switch and Zelda, and I agreed that those are good ideas. (though I'm going with Wii-U version, getting Switch later for Mario)

So just for the record, you are getting a Switch and Zelda on Switch. You can argue theoretical stuff, and sure we can all critique what various companies are doing and could be doing better, but I don't quite get the goal of some of your debating here. Plus, well, you're getting it as you said?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Opinions of a person who hates Bomberman, are opinions I do not care for.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Anidav posted:

Zelda. Bomberman. I am Setsuna. Has Been Heroes.

All look like must buys IMHO.

Then digitally we are probably looking at stuff like Shantae, Redout maybe a few other things. Treehouse said there would be more game announcements next week.

I Am Setsuna has been out for a while and it's not that great, don't get too excited for it

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4YrHReUh50
Dude shut up they are playing live rock game music right now

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Junkie Disease posted:

Dude shut up they are playing live rock game music right now

Righteous groovin, with a steely hard rock edge?? This is excellent. Do we know the name of this band?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I would buy a switch if only had Splatoon, luckily it will also have ARMS Zelda and Mario and due to my insanity I have convinced myself also a Metroid game that is a sequel to fusion

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

Righteous groovin, with a steely hard rock edge?? This is excellent. Do we know the name of this band?

I wish i knew. I need the splatoon album.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Musics Back on!
Sounds like polysics buts not them

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Also lol at complaining about the fact Nintendo are now getting cross-port titles inline with PS4, Xbone, and PC.

:allears:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Heavy Metal posted:

It'll either be the Nintendo Special Big Band or Nintendo Special Rock Band

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

this guy can not deliver the stone groove cleanly that is xenoblade

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's Special Rock Band

They're like the official inhouse Nintendo Rock Band along with Big Band

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

TFRazorsaw posted:

Except a new version of the DS would be a bad idea for exactly the reason you said - market conditions are far more hostile to the idea of a dedicated portable system than before. The only way to do that is to go bigger, and to be frank, with the 3DS already managing ports of Wii U software comfortably, stripped down portable wii u would have been far too lacking. The only way to compete would be to go bigger.

And guess what that'd resemble?

The Switch.

The dedicated handheld market has never given half a poo poo about hardware of a system beyond size and battery life though. So no, they didn't need to go bigger.

And my point was that 3DS fighting for relevance in a world of smartphones still managed 60 million units while the Wii U managed... I think it was 12 million units? So killing handhelds for the home console market really doesn't seem like a smart move to me.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Where are all the handheld developers that were suppose to come from this combining of Nintendo's portable and console markets?

Meridian posted:

After the Wii I had already pretty much given up on Nintendo. The only franchises of theirs I really care about are Mario Kart and Smash. Brawl was awful and Mario Kart at the time wasn't worth owning the system for. They appear to have doubled down on gimmicky bullshit. I guess I was hoping that Nintendo would stop thinking about their product as a toy.

Not sure why people hate the Wii so much. The Wii was arguably Nintendo's best console.

Sin & Punishment 2, New Super Mario Bros., Metroid Prime 3, Punchout!, Xenoblade, Super Mario Galaxy just to name a few.

Waltzing Along posted:

Ah yes, let me pay more for that gimped down version of this game I can get on a better system. Good idea.

Your PC must be sick.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 14, 2017

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!

Pureauthor posted:

The dedicated handheld market has never given half a poo poo about hardware of a system beyond size and battery life though. So no, they didn't need to go bigger.

And my point was that 3DS fighting for relevance in a world of smartphones still managed 60 million units while the Wii U managed... I think it was 12 million units? So killing handhelds for the home console market really doesn't seem like a smart move to me.

To be fair they haven't killed anything yet. If the Switch bombs I'm sure they'll just be like welp let's roll out the 4DS

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Forgot to add ~REGION loving FREE~ to my list of things before

Cause :hellyeah: importing cool games

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Where are all the handheld developers that were suppose to come from this combining of Nintendo's portable and console markets?

Not sure why people hate the Wii so much. The Wii was arguably Nintendo's best console.

Sin & Punishment 2, New Super Mario Bros., Metroid Prime 3, Punchout!, Xenoblade, Super Mario Galaxy just to name a few.

I'm guessing not everyone wants to announce their games at the same time. Do you want Rime same day as Zelda?

Steamworld Devs said they pulled back to announce more later. We got 1 month and 20 days till launch. Expect a few more launch titles and more release dates.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

goferchan posted:

I Am Setsuna has been out for a while and it's not that great, don't get too excited for it

I know but a JRPG at launch is still pretty awesome! Better than Portman Legends

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I expect we'll see a lot of digital only releases from Indie devs to fill out the eshop

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
FYI it's not called the Eshop anymore press releases called it the My Nintendo Store

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Forgot to add ~REGION loving FREE~ to my list of things before

Cause :hellyeah: importing cool games

Also Australia gets hosed on game prices 99% of the time, so :hellyeah: to importing a bunch of cheap games from the US

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

If you haven't played Steamworld Heist you wouldn't know why I'm excited to see their Switch Title.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

These guys are killin it now

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

trash person posted:

To be fair they haven't killed anything yet. If the Switch bombs I'm sure they'll just be like welp let's roll out the 4DS

I don't think the switch will bomb. Worst case they realize the waggle stuff they made was dumb and they'll just say to keep the joycons connected to the switch or the grip or use the pro controller and it will just be a normal console that's also portable. Going all in on "WAGGLE 2.0" right out the gate was kind of dumb but I doubt that will kill the system when it can easily revert back to normal. Unlike the Wii when it first came out.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

When is too early for predictions to turn into a Wii is doomed oh wait...

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Infinitum posted:

It's Special Rock Band

They're like the official inhouse Nintendo Rock Band along with Big Band

They are definitely righteous in their groovin!

Junkie Disease posted:

Musics Back on!
Sounds like polysics buts not them

Thanks for name dropping Polysics, listening to them now, quite good! I like that band Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas and also The Pillows, this is like if those two bands mashed together!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Anidav posted:

I know but a JRPG at launch is still pretty awesome! Better than Portman Legends

But Rayman Legends owns

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
So, after taking a few deep breaths, I've grown more positive about the switch. It isn't the knockout punch I was hoping for, and western 3rd party support will die out pretty quickly, and the accessories are outrageously priced, but in the end I think this thing will do well. Hell, as soon as they announce Pokemon it'll sell gangbusters.
Right now, Nintendo needs to address the elephant in the servers that is their new online system. I'm not paying more than fiveish bucks a month. if there are a whole lot of cool indie games announced over the next few weeks, and if online doesn't suck horribly, I will try to get one at launch.

also the constant nintendoom posts are hilarious as always. one bad presentation does not an apocalypse make.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

CubsWoo posted:

If ARMS is good I want it at Evo for maximum main stage hype

It's literally the new Virtual On. It'll get at least one name level tournament.

Because if loving Divekick can...

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jan 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

was that an fzero game :eyepop:

• Locked thread