Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I'm starting to think there is a scheme to cut staff in half by combining two departments here.

Here's the amazing part: not long ago, these departments were joined, in order to resolve a number of inefficiencies, after them being combined proved a disaster. Since the split, things got better but not perfect, so I think they are attempting perfection by returning to the days it was much further away...

edit: I'm brain-dead so I'm not sure if the above is a coherent sentence. Basically: two departments were together, then management decided to separate them, which helped things, but now since apparently it didn't help things enough they may want to return to the days they were combined perhaps as an opportunity to cut labor costs and magically fix everything?

Babies will take building blocks and repeatedly smash them together. Hope this helps. God bless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I'm starting to think there is a scheme to cut staff in half by combining two departments here.

Here's the amazing part: not long ago, these departments were joined, in order to resolve a number of inefficiencies, after them being combined proved a disaster. Since the split, things got better but not perfect, so I think they are attempting perfection by returning to the days it was much further away...

edit: I'm brain-dead so I'm not sure if the above is a coherent sentence. Basically: two departments were together, then management decided to separate them, which helped things, but now since apparently it didn't help things enough they may want to return to the days they were combined perhaps as an opportunity to cut labor costs and magically fix everything?

Middle management loves to show that they are doing something. It is mostly upside to them: anything positive can be attributed to their changes, any negatives can be attributed to the economy or some other external factor.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Middle managers are kind of like sharks; they have to constantly change poo poo or they sink.

The good ones finetune poo poo that already works, the lovely ones implement whatever dumb assed flavour of the day strategic synergy crap the good idea fairy shat down their throats that week. See: Agile, open plan office, most ERP implementations.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I just received this wonderful email this morning:

quote:

Hello [Pussy Quipped],

This is the latest of several communications (emails and phone call) made to you as regards obtaining [Company] valve MTRs from [My Company] without success. My Manager also sent a follow-up email, which was not acknowledged whatsoever. Since, you decided not to acknowledge this request, and caused delay in submitting the inspection reports, I have copied the Director in the spirit of [Company] "Speak-up" policy.

This is the type of attitude of neglect and deficiencies in timely documentation of active shooters' criminalities that had caused the death of many innocent victims recently nationally.
Ok yes I blew you off last week, I'm sorry dude. But.... what?!
:stare:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Hahaha what the gently caress? :psyduck:

Unless you work as part of the NICS background check system that is so ridiculously uncalled for.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Pussy Quipped posted:

People will die because you delayed the inspection process, I guess. Sounds like you have a tough job

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

Pussy Quipped posted:

I hope you, your supervisor, and HR take his threat against you and your workmates' lives seriously.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I work in the natural gas industry for a distributor. He works for a utility company. My boss was copied on the email and is the process of raining hellfire down upon them.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Pussy Quipped posted:

I work in the natural gas industry for a distributor. He works for a utility company
Please tell me he works for PG&E

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Pussy Quipped posted:

uhhhhhhhhhh

Why can't he just passive aggressively resend the same e-mail with [second request] in the subject header. That always sets me off when I get it, even if it's completely justified.

holy gently caress that's creepy

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
[second request] also does not put you on any FBI watch lists

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I don't send second requests.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
So on the topic of golden handcuffs, my last job (same company, different location) was great. My current job/project sucks rear end.

I am very tempted to leave but... the money, the retirement benefits(9% 401k matching), the per diem (if you own a house and are away from it) is soooo goood.

I loved working with my old team and stay in touch with them regularly.

But after 9 months my new team is frankly a bag of dicks.

New Team/project is too large with too many people. Too many chefs want to stir the pot and not enough "gently caress you, you got your pot, this is my pot."

As a result, people are making decisions are not necessarily the ones "in the know". I talk to my current supervisor about it and he is all "Well Big Boss said he wants a YYY."

Me->Supervisor->Boss->Big Boss (Big for the project.)

I've told him(supervisor) before about him needed to push back occasionally and part about being a good employee is telling your big boss when their idea is not going to work.

(For the record he is in his 40s, and is the supervisor. I am in my 30s but have been with the company 8 years while he has been around maybe a year or two.)
This has led to such gems as:

:downswords: The big boss man says to do change this procedure to do XXX.
:cool: That's a nice idea but the corporate procedure does not allow for it. That procedure does not work that way. You need approval from corporate first then you can change it. Even then I doubt they will give permission.
:downswords: Big boss says he needs XXX, we've go to do XXX.
:eng101: I know he says he needs it, but that is not how that it works. Here is a post from our CORPORATE DEPARTMENT BIG CHEESE that says projects are not to deviate from corporate without prior permission.
:downswords: Well we still need XXX because big boss says he needs XXX. Make it XXX.
:mad: Do you or Big Boss even know what you're talking about? Jesus loving christ. I told you, talk to Corporate. Management needs to talk to management, this is not something you can do on a 'whim'.
:downswords: You need to talk to Big Boss about doing XXX.
:mad: Okay, I will.
:cool: Big boss, :downswords: said you wanted XXX but corporate does not allow for it. What's the deal?
:sax: Yeah.... we're going to revise this now and we will worry about the corporate side of it later...
:eng99: If you say so...

It just seems ironic to me that at my last job our team and others in the project (with about maybe 1/4 of the resources this new project has) were in lock step with one another. And I had daily interfaces with local and corporate senior management. (As in board of directors) I was able to get poo poo done and everyone was pretty happy with my performance. This was at a project that if things did not go well could have huge reprecussions between us and our best client. At a location most people in the company could not have handled.

Now at my new project I don't even get to go to the daily schedule meetings. I get stuck receiving and communicating procedural changes from "on high".
(Changes that frankly make me look bad since I am the one communicating them.)

Additionally, I will get stuff as far as I can get and then my boss inexplicably takes away my deliverable I have been working on for weeks/months to make last minute changes. (Because we must get it pushed through "today" he exclaims.)

I'm not "British" but... there is a proper way to help someone out and expedite things beyond just taking items directly from their control then throwing it back in their lap afterwards.
(To me that just seems like a huge slap in the face...)

loving government jobs....
loving mother fuckers....

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 5, 2017

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Nobody likes being jerked around, whether they're English (???) or otherwise. I'm not going to tell you, "hey you should be grateful because a lot of us have to deal with all that poo poo AND crappy pay," because if you're hating your job and there's no end to the project in sight that you can look forward to, it will grind you down and do harm to your overall quality of life.

Best thing to do is to just start looking for new work. Simply taking steps to extricate yourself from the bad situation will improve your mood, and you might find something out there with similar pay, and/or a project or industry that actively excites you. You're not committing to leave, you're just exploring.

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf
Apparently a certain large Telecommunications company that years ago sold off most of its cell towers for a quick buck(3.5 Bil or so) and has had to lease access for exorbitant fees ever since has recently laid off a large amount of people.

My [family member] that works there is a few years from retirement, and were asked if they wanted to be laid off for severance, and whatever sorry version of almost-retirement that comes with it. Of course, they declined, and now are receiving "additional responsibilities" with the apparent purpose of degrading their (normally exemplary) performance review to get them on the next cut list. :unsmith:

This after hearing about GE loving with 401k investment returns/targets.

--

I took the one year match of 401k that I actually put money in and am using it to recover from the burnout from 13 years of [REDACTED] And unrelatedly, if you sell/run web ads, I'd keep an eye out for traffic bursts at the end of third weeks of months (ads are typically sold a month at a time for a certain number of impressions), especially if they all come from the same referrer and follow the same crawl pattern. (Tangentially, heard a persistent rumor much prior of a VP paid some ridiculous amount to run "ad arbitrage" and that they had botnets)

Also, having to explain to the soulless HR Obelisk what ones job responsibilities were in a way that leverages a higher severance (then say... TWO loving WEEKS) without outright threatening them is almost impossible, especially without a bloodthirsty lawyer.

RubberBands Hurt fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Dec 5, 2017

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

How does one write a handover document when one has not done said work for over six months? :confused:

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Senor P. posted:

loving government jobs....
loving mother fuckers....

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Convexed posted:

How does one write a handover document when one has not done said work for over six months? :confused:

The same way one writes a monthly status report when one has had nothing to do for that month. :iiam:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Pussy Quipped posted:

That is truly amazing.

Thanks for sharing.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Pussy Quipped posted:

Send that to your hr, their hr, and possibly file a police report :stare:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Am I the only one who thinks that was exceptionally tone deaf and stupid but not actually threatening?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Volmarias posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that was exceptionally tone deaf and stupid but not actually threatening?

You are not.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Volmarias posted:

It could be a threat, and the responsible way to deal with it is as a threat because if it is a threat people are in danger.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Volmarias posted:

Doesn't matter, poo poo like that shouldn't be allowed in a professional method of communication.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Volmarias posted:

I don't read it as threatening, but given the chance to nail some rear end in a top hat to the wall over something dumb they said, I'd take that opportunity 100% of the time.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Suddenly coming face-to-face with the reality that your employer now considers you irrelevant always hurts real bad.

You should explore the option of following the example of countless sufficiently experienced government employees and switch to Just Cashin' Checks Mode, either indefinitely or while you look for a better job.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Volmarias posted:

Not necessarily but if they're going to go tattling like that and then claim being blown off about loving valves is exactly the same as letting a mass shooter get a gun, then yeah the OP deserves to have his turn playing that game.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Crazy rule: don't say things that could be construed as threats

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Shugojin posted:

Crazy rule: don't say things that could be construed as threats
no-one's saying that the guy who sent that e-mail is fine, just that filing a police report over it would be real hosed up

don't falsely accuse someone of a serious crime just because you think they're an rear end in a top hat!

Jeb Bush 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 5, 2017

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

no-one's saying that the guy who sent that e-mail is fine, just that filing a police report over it would be real hosed up

don't falsely accuse someone of a serious crime just because you think they're an rear end in a top hat!

until it turns out it's not false and I end up on the evening news as someone who "failed to see the warning signs"

e: I can already see the GBS thread and everything

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

If you bring the phrase "active shooters" into an angry business email, don't be surprised if the boys in blue pay you a visit. In fact, don't even mention guns or shooting or violence at all in a business email, ever. This is Office Behavior 080.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Renegret posted:

until it turns out it's not false and I end up on the evening news as someone who "failed to see the warning signs"

e: I can already see the GBS thread and everything
this seems like an extremely bad way to make any kind of decision

Yawgmoth posted:

If you bring the phrase "active shooters" into an angry business email, don't be surprised if the boys in blue pay you a visit. In fact, don't even mention guns or shooting or violence at all in a business email, ever. This is Office Behavior 080.
the response to this is literally the post you quoted so uh just read that again I guess

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
by bad you mean...good...yes?

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

this seems like an extremely bad way to make any kind of decision

the response to this is literally the post you quoted so uh just read that again I guess

I'm curious, what to you is the right course of action? All I've seen you say is that what other people think is wrong, but what he did was "not fine"

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Hoshi posted:

I'm curious, what to you is the right course of action? All I've seen you say is that what other people think is wrong, but what he did was "not fine"

you're asking me to explain how you can handle someone sending an inappropriate e-mail without calling the police?

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

you're asking me to explain how you can handle someone sending an inappropriate e-mail without calling the police?

No I'm asking what you think the correct course of action to that email is

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Just heard from a colleague in a different department that not only is my department definitely moving to the main site next month, but they've made an offer to someone to take over the long-open manager position therein!

Of course I couldn't hear about this from anyone in charge of these decisions, or from the guy who has been ostensibly our boss since April. I have to hear about it second-hand from someone I haven't seen or spoken to in months. So I'm just going to pretend that it's not true (please God don't make me move to the main site).

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Hoshi posted:

No I'm asking what you think the correct course of action to that email is

so yes, you are in fact asking me how you can handle an inappropriate e-mail without calling the police

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

there is a whopping difference between calling someone a fag in an email and implying in any way that they have or could be involved in an active shooter situation hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

there is a whopping difference between calling someone a fag in an email and implying in any way that they have or could be involved in an active shooter situation hth

the e-mail didn't actually imply that, but that's also besides the point. the e-mail is clearly insanely inappropriate and it would not be surprising to see someone get fired over it! it's also very clearly not a threat, and you shouldn't try to get the cops involved "just in case"