Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

odiv posted:

drat I wish Thing in the Ice survived a Languish. Though that's probably exactly why it doesn't.

It does, just flip it >B)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gensuki posted:

What is the statute of limitations on complaining about rude nerds at magic events? I am suddenly kinda peeved by this thing a guy said at the pre-release.

You know you need to repeat what was said.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Gensuki posted:

What is the statute of limitations on complaining about rude nerds at magic events? I am suddenly kinda peeved by this thing a guy said at the pre-release.
100,000 years. Now tell us what he said and everything else that might make it a story.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Injuryprone posted:

I've never played Magic before; should I just get an Intro Pack deck or try and buy a custom deck online for about the same price?

Edit: If Intro, Shadows over Innistrad, Magic Origins, or Battle for Zendikar? I like black.

You should pick up the SoI intro deck for Black and/or Green (Black is Black/Red, Green is Green/Black, i personally think the Green one looks more fun but Black has Vampires so there's that)

Don't listen to the Commander suggestion, it is horrible for a new person to try to figure out what the gently caress all the different things in the last 20 years are on these cards, plus you don't get to know much of anything in the normal game's format. You will probably be only interested in playing Standard until you get the game figured out, and to that maybe only even sealed/draft events if you do anything organized.

The intro decks are cheap, not bad at all, and tend to come with a little synergy that can be expanded on if you get something fun in the bonus packs in the decks. They are a very, very, good way to learn the game from nothing. My girlfriend was completely uninterested in going further than the intro decks, but she at least knew enough to be able to play at a reasonable competency level and beat me two out of three every time we tried.

We tried two Commander decks before that and we spent more time collectively looking at the cards and looking up rules and keyword interactions and all that nonsense. At least with an SoI only deck, you're going to only have to know 3 unusual mechanics and the sheet in the box tells you what to do.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Gensuki posted:

If you complain to me about some mean thing someone said two weeks ago it had better have been awful enough to compensate for the delay and not something you decided was inappropriate two weeks later

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
You have a moral obligation to complain about nerds, rude or otherwise.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

DangerDongs posted:

You know you need to repeat what was said.

He was just upset/salty because I kept "Having all the creatures in the world." Brought it up like four times in the third game because whenever he would remove my stuff during my turn, I would just play 1-2 more things. He was playing what seemed like a kind of alright UR tempo deck, burn and bounce for removal, which left him with some small utility creatures -he had the prowess vampire, forgotten creation and Thing in the Ice, then some other vampire things but very little actual madness. Since his hard removal was red, and most of my creatures were Toughness heavy, he ended up one for one-ing himself in combat, or spending bounce and tap spells to try to hold down the board.

His issue stemmed from me playing Golgari (splashing blue, not quite sultai) and playing 15 creatures, and 5 things that could make creatures. He kept sounding like I was so lucky to draw 8 creatures to his 4 over 15 turns, so at the end of our match (it was 2-1, me) I just started flipping through my deck to show him, no I did not get lucky, I just had more creatures than he did. And I know I had more creatures, because game one he started using forgotten creation to dig through his deck for something relevant. p. sure he had around 10-11 creatures all told.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I once had a guy online tell me he hoped a nerd punched me in the face and broke my glasses because I conceded when he Bile Blighted my tokens. I was holding a handful of populate spells and no real response to -X/-X kills. :shrug:

The only thing worse than beating a nerd is not letting them live out their fantasy of crushing you, utterly.

Jokes on him anyway, I only play online.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Gensuki posted:

He was just upset/salty because I kept "Having all the creatures in the world." Brought it up like four times in the third game because whenever he would remove my stuff during my turn, I would just play 1-2 more things.
Oh yeah, I've played against that kind of guy before. Everything he does is pure skill, but everything you do is total lucksack topdeck :qq:. There's always one or two of those at any prerelease. See also: the guy who has been playing Longer Than You and will not shut up about how the game was so much better back in urza's/ice age/beta, then complains about every other card you play.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I just got to draft the nuts B/G Delirium deck, it does exist and it's pretty gross, though I did lose to a guy from a different pod with Avacyn/Sin Prodder/Avacyn's Judgment and like all the removal. The rest of my matches were not particularly close, but I did almost deck myself once or twice, which is why I played 43 cards. I started with Soul Swallower and went deep.

Look at this loving deck:

2 Quilled Wolf
Duskwatch Recruiter
Lambholt Pacifist
2 Moldgraf Scavenger
Graf Mole
Byway Courier
Autumnal Gloom
Crow of Dark Tidings
Tooth Collector
Kindly Stranger
Solitary Hunter
Soul Swallower
Kessig Dire Swine

2 Vessel of Nascency
Sinister Concoction
Explosive Apparatus
Traverse the Ulvenwald
Rabid Bite
Murderous Compulsion
Macabre Waltz
Ulvenwald Mysteries
Throttle

Foul Orchard
7 Swamp
10 Forest

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

NofrikinfuN posted:

I once had a guy online tell me he hoped a nerd punched me in the face and broke my glasses because I conceded when he Bile Blighted my tokens. I was holding a handful of populate spells and no real response to -X/-X kills. :shrug:

The only thing worse than beating a nerd is not letting them live out their fantasy of crushing you, utterly.

Jokes on him anyway, I only play online.

why would someone get mad at you for conceding, like how do you get mad at winning

makes no sense

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

mandatory lesbian posted:

why would someone get mad at you for conceding, like how do you get mad at winning

makes no sense
Because they didn't get to actually defeat you using their brilliantly built deck and superior intelligence; they won the wrong way so now they're mad.

Like how James Bond's villains can never just put a bullet in his head, they have to lure him into a trap that kills him with a laser powered by the sun or some poo poo.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I've seen the inverse as well. A guy resolved ad nauseum with phyrexian unlife in play and basically demanded that I just scoop. When I refused and asked to see his entire deck that he intended to draw he acted all affronted.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I've seen the inverse as well. A guy resolved ad nauseum with phyrexian unlife in play and basically demanded that I just scoop. When I refused and asked to see his entire deck that he intended to draw he acted all affronted.

So did he draw everything?

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

The only thing that irks me is people who are super condescending about stuff. I can forgive being a bit salty about losing or whatever but some people seem incapable of even giving you the time of day without being incredibly patronising.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Wouldn't the life loss from Ad Nauseum just convert to poison counters once you fall below 0? Basically giving you an extra 10 + how far the card taking you below 0 would take you? If so, why not have them play it out and see if they do get it?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Pyrolocutus posted:

Wouldn't the life loss from Ad Nauseum just convert to poison counters once you fall below 0? Basically giving you an extra 10 + how far the card taking you below 0 would take you? If so, why not have them play it out and see if they do get it?

Damage isn't the same thing as paying life, that is how the card works I assume.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Correct. Losing life isn't the same thing as taking damage, so it doesn't trigger the poison counters from Phyrexian Unlife. He's free to go as deep into the negatives as he wants without losing the game.

But no, you don't get to combo off without at least showing your opponent what your wincon is.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Not since the LSV Wish incident.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Death Bot posted:

Not since the LSV Wish incident.

Or some variant of ProsBloom.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I've had that happen too, and I always ask them to play it out and show me the combo, explain how it works etc. just to make sure they actually have a way to kill me.

Back in THS/KTK standard, a guy was using the retraction helix/jeskai ascendancy combo; he had no cards in hand after playing helix, and only two creatures when I had a couple zombie tokens in play. He goes "retraction helix, I combo out and win." I ask him to play it out and he gets this weird confused look like I just asked him to demonstrate the second law of thermodynamics. He goes through the motions, milling himself 20 cards deep and pumping his guys to do lethal... except that he has no way to make my zombies not be blockers. He attacks anyways, I block with zombies, and then proceed to swing in unhindered for the kill next turn.

I guess a lot of people just assume that if you can repeat the same action a bunch of times that it somehow leads to a win?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I had an opponent playing splinter twin (that was dead next turn) draw for turn and very excitedly play the pestermite he drew and slammed splinter twin on it and announced he won. I pointed out the summoning sickness and he just :smith:d

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is it true that someone won a major tournament with draagonstorm but no dragons?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

In the case of Ad Nauseam I'd probably ask to see their deck just to check if it has anything unusual in it.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Wurzag posted:

The only thing that irks me is people who are super condescending about stuff. I can forgive being a bit salty about losing or whatever but some people seem incapable of even giving you the time of day without being incredibly patronising.

When I first started playing in Worldwake, Jacob Van Lunen was writing a budget deck article on the mothership. Zvi something built a block mono green beast master ascension deck that I liked, so I drove 60 miles to the nearest shop, bought the deck, and played it in the Wednesday night magic. I beat a local grinder who was on Bant / Mythic, and he just said 'Zvi's deck is good' after the game. You don't get to complain about net decking when you're on Bant, my man.

In the same standard, I picked up Valakut (Pre prime time), and was playing a guy on esper super friends. I beat him first game, and he sides into something like 16 counter spells, mostly dealing with noncreatures. I land a few creatures while he's on a full hand on counters,and win the game. He's exasperated as I'm desideboarding yelling all kinds of stuff, including calling my pet Warp Worlds cute.

My city doesn't have a huge magic community, and I don't have the the money to play any more, but maybe the small community has something to do with dicks like these guys running potential players off.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Molybdenum posted:

I had an opponent playing splinter twin (that was dead next turn) draw for turn and very excitedly play the pestermite he drew and slammed splinter twin on it and announced he won. I pointed out the summoning sickness and he just :smith:d

I've done that once or twice. I make the dumbest mistakes sometimes. Like the time i thought maelstrom pulse was an instant. ugh.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Baron Porkface posted:

Is it true that someone won a major tournament with draagonstorm but no dragons?

Good lsv story

Edit: phone posting has wronged me again!

Death Bot fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 12, 2016

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

A febreeze commercial? That is a good story.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Shadow225 posted:

When I first started playing in Worldwake, Jacob Van Lunen was writing a budget deck article on the mothership. Zvi something built a block mono green beast master ascension deck that I liked, so I drove 60 miles to the nearest shop, bought the deck, and played it in the Wednesday night magic. I beat a local grinder who was on Bant / Mythic, and he just said 'Zvi's deck is good' after the game. You don't get to complain about net decking when you're on Bant, my man.

In the same standard, I picked up Valakut (Pre prime time), and was playing a guy on esper super friends. I beat him first game, and he sides into something like 16 counter spells, mostly dealing with noncreatures. I land a few creatures while he's on a full hand on counters,and win the game. He's exasperated as I'm desideboarding yelling all kinds of stuff, including calling my pet Warp Worlds cute.

My city doesn't have a huge magic community, and I don't have the the money to play any more, but maybe the small community has something to do with dicks like these guys running potential players off.

I play in cycles every year or so. I have to admit, having some idiot confront me over a concede cut that years cycle short by a month or so. I was also on the fence about trying a local Friday Night Magic, but the whole experience kind of soured me on it.

Really though, he probably saved me the embarrassment of trying to play budget decks anywhere but the kitchen table.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I made my Scapeshift opponent play the combo out once because he had a lot of mountains in play already and I wasn't sure if he could actually kill me. He got 6 mountains including a basic and a 2 Valakuts. I Ghost Quartered one of his mountains and he didn't have another basic mountain to find. Then I got to spend 4 minutes explaining how Valakut works and that no I would not be taking any damage this turn and also that he should probably concede given that he didn't have a way to win.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
Speaking of slow-playing, there's always this match with Brian Kibler who made an F6 emblem in real life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPM2d1q3-Gc

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Bugsy posted:

A febreeze commercial? That is a good story.

https://youtu.be/vZDlM8iNESU

Start at 9:10

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Sestze posted:

Speaking of slow-playing, there's always this match with Brian Kibler who made an F6 emblem in real life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPM2d1q3-Gc

This is amazing.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is there a resource that shows which cards in standard or modern have alternate arts?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Baron Porkface posted:

Is there a resource that shows which cards in standard or modern have alternate arts?

http://magiccards.info/query?q=f%3Astandard&v=card&s=cname

Though it hasn't updated to remove Khans/Fate or add SOI yet.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

Check out the cards you're interested in on https://www.magiccards.info and see of there are alternate seys/printings

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

When transforming Westvale Abbey, can I sacrifice a creature then two Carrier Thralls then the two scions the Thralls poop out or do all sacrifices need to happen "at once?"

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Soul Glo posted:

When transforming Westvale Abbey, can I sacrifice a creature then two Carrier Thralls then the two scions the Thralls poop out or do all sacrifices need to happen "at once?"

You have to pay all the costs at the same time. You need to have five bodies on the board to bring out the beast.

This also means that you can't, for instance, feed a Carrier Thrall to the Abbey and then use the emerging scion to pay for the mana cost, because you have to pay the mana and sacrifice the creatures simultaneously.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Voyager I posted:

You have to pay all the costs at the same time. You need to have five bodies on the board to bring out the beast.

This also means that you can't, for instance, feed a Carrier Thrall to the Abbey and then use the emerging scion to pay for the mana cost, because you have to pay the mana and sacrifice the creatures simultaneously.

Dangit. My Aristocrats deck isn't as good as I thought. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Some Numbers posted:

This is amazing.
everything about eggs was amazing, simply because it completely upended the whole "turns" concept when seeking for a win.

There was a loop with a non-zero percentage chance to fail that became small yet everpresent as the combo continued on. It required constant interaction with your opponent (shuffling away copies of second sunrise/faith's reward), and was almost impossible to disrupt post sideboard. Turns could take 20-30 minutes for the combo to go off and the established kill was either grapeshot (i have tracked that I played 30 or 40 spells up to this point, so you're dead), or the default win condition of pyrite spellbomb (eat 2 damage per loop completion).

that was an example of one game of eggs being excruciating to play against, but at pro tour return to ravinca, stanislav cifka piloted the deck to an almost undefeated record and was on the camera multiple times. Opponents would be juggling dice, counting his storm, counting his mana - anything to escape the crushing boredom of watching the eggs player do his turn. The commentators are also in on the joke, often panning away from feature matches with eggs with the tagline "and now we're back to watching two players playing magic"

because the deck took so long to establish and then murder their opponent in one match, the other games in the feature match area would be over while the eggs deck was still... eggsing. So begrudgingly the commentators would cycle back over to watch cardboard masturbation for another 4-5 minutes before the handshake was given.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqVcqwsRia8

God bless eggs for making everyone hate Magic except for its pilot. It is, to me, a troll deck that somehow managed to ascend to the eschelons of pro tour play and demonstrate what griefing could look like in a pro tour environment. It hosed with tournament slow-play rules so badly they banned Second Sunrise because of it and effectively neutered the deck.

• Locked thread