Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I just finished Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson for the... third time now.
I am working on finishing Haunted (Palahniuk) tonight and then I have a Sci-Fi anthology I have been meaning to get into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
The Rape Of Nanking by Iris Chang
I now feel completely exhausted and humbled.

SylvainMustach fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 2, 2008

Angrykraut
Jul 23, 2004
Into the Wild By John Krakauer.

It made me want to see the movie, because I think it would have been a better story with more artistic license, rather than trying to piece together a truthful account of what happened using very little evidence. However, the events the novel is based off of are interesting enough to keep one reading.

NBA FAN !!!!!!!
Dec 4, 2002

Just got through Journey to the End of Night, and despite the fact that Celine is at many points so absolute in his pessimism that he's not terribly easy to relate with (the Africa portion is a main offender in this sense), he's scathingly observant and his insight into the worst portions of the human anatomy and soul are great. It's dense as all hell, and in my case I had to read a lot of Vonnegut and religious texts and things of the sort to bolster some measure of positivity regarding humanity's foibles, but I'm overall excessively glad to have read it. I need to find Death on the Installment Plan at some point in the near future, because this poo poo is rad.

Ethan_Alan
Apr 8, 2008

I am threatened by non-violence
I just finished an anthology of H.G. Wells' and Jules Verne recently. Their stories of space travel (The First Men on the Moon and From the Earth to the Moon/Journey from the Moon) were amazing. How the Victorian and Industrial Age people thought about the moon is ridiculous and fascinating at the same time.

I think I'm going to re-read House of Leaves again. Although Danielewski's latest book whose name escapes me, blows.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Just finished Declare by Tim Powers, a fictional take on the Cold War which presents it as a struggle between the major world powers over a supernatural power that lurks at the peak of Mount Ararat (the supposed resting place of Noah's Ark) - resulting in a spy thriller with some occult elements. I'd read one of Powers' other books a couple of years back and wasn't blown away, but Declare was really quite good. Powers has a really great eye for detail and kept me gripped for most of the book, despite the somewhat weak beginning.

Be warned - if you're at all interested in this, the Publisher's Weekly review on Amazon pretty much blows the whole plot and spoils the fun of figuring out the mystery that Powers reveals gradually over the course of the book.

futurestate
Nov 6, 2006

Ethan_Alan posted:

I think I'm going to re-read House of Leaves again. Although Danielewski's latest book whose name escapes me, blows.

Have not read it but why does the House of Leaves get mentioned so much, is it really that amazing?

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

reactor9 posted:

Have not read it but why does the House of Leaves get mentioned so much, is it really that amazing?

No, its terrible.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Infinite Jest, by David Foster Wallace, and I feel like I'm trapped in hell because I desperately want to discuss this book with my friends but none of them have read it and it's a daunting thing to just suggest to people and expect them to pick up and plow through in short order. I enjoyed it though, and it was interesting watching how the characters and the relationships between them were filled in throughout the course of the novel. Funny, thoughtful, and linguistically engaging, which I expected of DFW; what I didn't neccesarily expect was how much it tugged at my heartstrings.

I read that book four years ago and I just convinced a friend to read it for the first time.

Rockets
Nov 8, 2003
Fitness is rocket science :smith:
City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. It's "teen fantasy" but it was a funny, engaging read after slogging through Moby Dick.

Stupid whale.

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

reactor9 posted:

If it wasn't for Truant, this would be a great book. I can't finish it because of him. I wish it was just a story about the house.

I put House of Leaves down for a bit and read Salem's Lot by King. I'm not a big fan of King, but this was pretty good. His descriptions of the town later in the book gave me a chill and I found myself having to remember I wasn't in Salem's Lot. I was a big fan of the late 70's mini series growing up, but it didn't do the book justice.

JollyGood
Jul 10, 2004
8-bit pirate
That Hideous Strength by CS Lewis (BORING) and A Wizard of Earthsea by LeGuin (Good read).

Finished those this week, about to start on The Amber Chronicles and Wizard of Pigeons.

Ethan_Alan
Apr 8, 2008

I am threatened by non-violence

Luna posted:

If it wasn't for Truant, this would be a great book. I can't finish it because of him. I wish it was just a story about the house.

Yeah Truant was the weakest part of the book i agree, but by reading the appendices and connecting the dots within the actual story makes it so much better.

it's one of those where you need to read the whole thing to get the whole idea.

but the more i think about it, i just might crack open 20K Leagues Under the Sea

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

JollyGood posted:

That Hideous Strength by CS Lewis (BORING)

I agree, but did you read the first two books of the series? They are infinitely better.

Shiva Servant
Aug 20, 2005

Stop staring at me!
The Longest Day by Cornelius Ryan and The Thin Red Line by James Jones.

Both are about World War II. The Longest Day is a non-fiction account of the D-day landings and the Thin Red Line is a fictional account of a battle on Guadalcanal.

Both books are fantastic, I liked the Longest Day better because it was non-fiction. The only problem was that it ends abruptly as soon as D-day ends, and you are left hanging wondering what happens in the following days. I will definitely be reading Ryan's other books.

The Thin Red Line is probably the best fictional account of war that I have read. It takes you through the a company's first battle and how it affects and changes them.

Both books are better than the movies. In the case of the Thin Red Line, the book is about a thousand times better. Skip the movie and read the book.

Bashful
Nov 24, 2005
How much easier is self-sacrifice than self-realization
I just finished Blindness. I thought it was good up through the group getting out of the mental facility. I was looking forward to there being more story after they regain their sight. I thought it was an ok book.

I just got The Raw Shark Texts as a birthday present. I'm only about 20 pages in and I like it so far. It reminds me of the movie Memento.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I just finished Caesar's Commentaries on the Gallic Wars. What more could you want? Awesome first-hand account of the wars, great insight into Roman strategy, Caesar being a pompous rear end, and Vorenus and Pullo were even more badass in reality than on Rome. I'm so glad this survived.

I haven't decided what I'm going for next. Probably Mieville's Iron Council, it's staring temptingly at me.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Bashful posted:

I was looking forward to there being more story after they regain their sight. I thought it was an ok book.

Well, the sequel is title Seeing, so there is, if you want to look at it like that.

I just finished Babbitt, from Sinclair Lewis. Bobservo reviewed this not long ago, and I'd really enjoyed It Can't Happen Here so I suggested it for the SA book club. I guess you could say it was the alternate selection, because the book that won (The Wind-up Bird Chronicle, that I'm about to start) was read about a year ago. (Aside: what is it with goons and books you can beat people to death with?)

Anyway, I think I'm going to get some more Lewis, because although I really hate people like Babbit, I loved this book. Highlights were his chasing a dinner with a more well-to-do society couple who then snubbed him, and the very next chapter had him doing exactly the same thing to someone else. Also, his wife's illness at the very end really made him seem human and helped me sympathize with him just that tiny little bit.

One of the most interesting things about Sinclair Lewis, is that in the two novels I've read, things really haven't changed much in almost 100 years. The average american is still pretty much the same creature, very strikingly so.

kizeesh
Aug 1, 2005
Im right and you're an ass.
I just finished Forgotten Memories of the Holocaust which despite the slightly oxymoronic title was a fantastic slice of history. Far more enlightening as the real way it felt to be trapped as a Jew in the midst of Hitler's final solution than any amount of rewatchings of Schindler's List or The Pianist.
What was probably most refreshing about it was the frankness to which many of teh interviewees were about what they had to do to survive, even down to stealing, strangling and murder. Not to mention the man who claims he survived by being desperate to lose his virginity, and how on liberation day he found alone German farm girl but was too weak and malnourished to rape her.
That kind of honesty makes me go a big rubbery one.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Timequake | Kurt Vonnegut

This was one of the saddest and funniest books by him that I've read. It seems throughout that Vonnegut looked around himself and saw his friends and family dying and realized that meant his time was coming soon. He seemed very comfortable with the idea of dying that it brought on an odd sense of things to come, especially as he describes walking down the stairs of his home that ultimately lead to his death. The epilogue nearly brought me to tears. Despite all this, his thoughts in this book made me laugh more than any other of his books yet. This was fantastic.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Just realized I haven't posted in a bit..

Insect Dreams by Marc Estrin. Covers the life of a Gregor Samsa (from The Metamorphosis) who doesn't die, but lives for several decades longer; starting out as a spectacle in a local freak show, he later ends up in the US where he meets several historical persons and end up partaking in various events. Estrin must be extremely well read, because the whole book is littered with literary references and well written versions of famous 20th century folks like Roosevelt and Alice Paul (there's a story with her that's a little...weird). HIGHLY recommended, and I will be checking out his other books which look quite interesting.

Drop City by T.C. Boyle. Never heard of the guy before, just happened to pick it up at the library as an audiobook (I have a long commute). My philosophy on audiobooks is to avoid anything with a sticker ('Historical Fiction', 'Mystery', 'Suspense' etc) and whatever I find is most likely going to be decent literature. This was one of those choices; a brave, stickerless audibook sitting amidst a sea of Romance, Mystery and whatnot. It has two stories that converge halfway through; one is about a group of free-lovin' dirty hippies who have their hangout in California and eventually get booted by the authorities, and the other about a fur trapper in Alaska who's just gotten married to a lovely woman who got sick of normal 'civilization' and wanted to escape it. As the hippies get booted from their hangout, one of them mentions that his uncle left a place in Alaska (the last free place in the country, maaaan...) and they can just go live off the land there. As the story progresses, we find out that some of these hippies are truly dedicated to living 'off the grid' and working for it, while some are just freeloading dirty lazy bastards. And they end up near-neighbors with the fur trapper and his lady, which causes some cultural conflict but also shows how the two groups aren't all that different in many aspects. Just a damned good book overall, with very well written characters; one of those you just don't want to finish because you'll miss all those guys so much.

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.
Finally got round to reading the volume of Samuel Beckett's early novels I had on the shelf; includes Murphy, Watt and Mercier and Camier. Murphy's no doubt the most Irish of them (there are even sections that seem interchangeable with certain passages of Flann O'Brien's), though there's something disingenuous and mannered about it in general, not helped by the occasionally gratingly flamboyant vocabulary. Watt, on the other hand, is amazing (or painful depending on your tolerance for juvenile game-playing) and by far the best of the three; a hugely self-aware and epiphanic leap forward, ditching all the superfluous and pretentious baggage of Murphy, which also happens to scuttle much in the way of plot. Mercier and Cambier I'm not even going to pretend to have any firm opinions on since, to be honest, I was starting to suffer Beckett-fatigue at that point. Collected together like this provides contrast, but left to stand on their own merits I'd be happy enough with just Watt on the shelf.

Hrabal's I Served the King of England was detox. Fun and totally gratuitous tale of a naive and vaguely amoral career waiter in Czechoslovakia from the '30s-50s, even if it does flounder a little at the 3/4 mark. Much like the movie that Menzel made out of it recently (as he did in the '60s to Hrabal's Closely Observed Trains), it has a definite Benny Hill streak to it, though the book has a surprisingly effective ending that the movie shies away from. Social Commentary raises its head only to be bludgeoned by the quasi-legendary folk tale narrative, powered on its own half-baked exaggerations; the best thing about it.

Also Gertrude Stein's Wars I Have Seen, another of her gossipy autobiographical works which ease off the word pile-ups and goes about the business of being a clucking, slightly paranoid old Jewish lesbian during the occupation of France. Not typically a classic of hers, though the chatty anecdotes and vivid nervy tension of rural life during the war years make it more addictive than it seems on first glance.

antiloquax
Feb 23, 2008

by Ozma
Just finished the wonderful Day of the Locust. It's quite ahead of its time in a lot of ways, what with thoughts on rape, disillusionment, and phoniness. I believe that it's just as true now as it was then--if not more so. Even a fight scene involving chickens is well written to the point that you're actually rooting for a certain chicken to win. The fact that Homer Simpson is involved is also a wonderful thing, but it makes it hard to get an image of the story in your head without seeing a yellow cartoon character. A lot of characters, but few overstay their welcome, and all serve a purpose.

It's a shame that Nathanael West's career did not last longer, as he is a very good satirical novelist. His novels are brief, to the point, and largely amusing. There is no excess fat in his writing style, which is something I particularly appreciate at the moment; after years of reading humongous books, it's always refreshing to read and understand it within a week or two.

I am currently reading the Raw Shark Texts which is deceptively not as long as it appears. It's a little disconcerting to know that the novelist got his first taste of recognition for an idea not dissimilar to one I had five years earlier, but then, that applies to a variety of people in a variety of situations. I don't know what I make of the main character, and have yet to really care for any of the minor roles, although the concept of a Conceptual Shark is enough to keep me reading at least until I find out how the incident in Greece transpired--this probably wont happen, though.

I have also been reading through a lot of non-fiction writing guides, such as The Essence of Style, Novelist's Bootcamp and a slew of other books I either picked up from a writing convention, or bought for a class I recently started. I'd also recommend these books, but only for people who are writing and would like a few insights into the creative process of writing.

antiloquax fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 18, 2008

Loofa08
Apr 17, 2008
Just finished Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow. Now I'm reading The Stand, which I'm enjoying quite a bit.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

antiloquax posted:

Just finished the wonderful Day of the Locust and am now going to try and finish The Raw Shark Texts.

Loofa08 posted:

Just finished Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow. Now I'm reading The Stand, which I'm enjoying quite a bit.
Very insightful.

I just finished Steroid Nation. It was mediocre and could have been a much better book with the source material it had (The Underground Steroid Handbook, Olympic doping, trafficking, BALCO, supplement industry, etc). It's an attempt to describe the history of steroids in North America by covering the involvement of a number of key personalities. The book is disjointed and devotes too much time to storytelling while neglecting an awful lot of essential information.

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh
I finished The End of Mr. Y by Scarlett Thomas the other night. In short, I'd describe it as fun fiction for people who are into Godel, Escher, Bach. It's a story about a woman who finds a cursed book that allows her to go to an alternate dimension through which she can enter other people's minds, and along the way it tries to seriously discuss the nature of consciousness, the relationship between language and thought, and stuff like that. It can be irritating at times, because it's really heavy-handed in dropping references (primarily to modern physics and Jacques Derrida) in an attempt to be WHOA DEEP... But for the most part it succeeds, both at telling a weird/exciting story and at being thought-provoking. You just have to be willing to forgive some pretty cringe-inducing intellectual namedrops.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Power Play by Joseph Finder.

The premise is classic high-concept, almost as if written with a movie in mind: the annual senior executive team-building exercise of an aircraft company at a remote mountain lodge is interrupted by people who at first seem to be hunters finding the place by chance and deciding to rob the rich guys, before it becomes clear they know exactly what they're doing and that they're there to steal a lot more than just wallets and watches.

It was a fast read (I got through it in a two-hour train journey), but my main issue was that nothing actually happened until almost halfway through, to the extent that it had to resort to an in media res opening at a crucial moment of action before flashing back days earlier to set everything up. If you're going to do a 'Die Hard in a...' story, at least follow the formula and have your Hans Gruber character show up before the end of Act 1, a quarter of the way through. But instead the first half is more or less all Type-A personality corporate bitching and in-fighting that doesn't really matter once the real bad guys finally turn up. And all the Clancy-ish aircraft rivet porn early on? Just window dressing that has no real bearing on the story. The company could make widgets for beer cans and the plot would still go the same way.

Also, the main character is a prison-hardened convicted killer (but the nice sort, as he did it to protect people he cared about from scumbag predators) and military-trained bad-rear end as well as being a sharp corporate executive and a genius aerospace engineer and computer expert. With a wacky pet, Chloe O'Brien as a PA and a prior personal connection with one of the company's top female staff, who of course is a hostage. Maybe laying things on a little thick in the 'angsty hero' stakes...

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Finished Gravity's Rainbow yesterday - great book but needless to say I'll have to re-read it eventually to try to get a better handle on what it was all about. The reputation it has as a difficult book is pretty fair, but at the same time it's highly entertaining and very well-crafted. Glad I read it - it's certainly given me a lot to think about.

It was almost a relief to read a much lighter book over the rest of yesterday and today (Enigma by Robert Harris). Another solid read from Harris with the good attention to historical detail that keeps his stuff interesting (a thriller set during WWII and based on the British cryptology team's attempts to crack the Nazi's Enigma ciphers). Certainly not a mind-shatteringly dense read, but I needed something light after tackling GR.

Encryptic fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 21, 2008

Soma Soma Soma
Mar 22, 2004

Richardson agrees
Don't Panic by Neil Gaiman. It was a great look into the mind of Douglas Adams and the other people involved in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, in all of its many forms. Definitely recommended for fans of the series.

I'm starting Suttree by Cormac McCarthy today. I've read Blood Meridian, Child of God, and The Road during the past six months and am pretty excited about this one.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
The Wind-up Bird Chronicle, Haurki Murakami

Now here's a 600 page book I don't think is about twice as long as it should be, even if it does stumble towards the end. It's japanese, so it goes without saying that it's chock full of :psyduck: Bit reminiscent of Twin Peaks in parts as well.

LooseChanj fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 25, 2008

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I just finished The Lovely Bones by Alice Seabold.

Everyone seemed to get excited about this a while back, so I thought I'd have a look at what all the fuss was about. I found the book a bit too sickly at times and I can understand why Pete Jackson and Fran Walsh chose to adapt it - it's entirely their kind of cheese.

That said, it wasn't a bad read and the principal characters drew me in, although the side characters were so faintly drawn that I had trouble remembering who they were. The final couple of chapters were moving, and well timed, but it felt more like a mainstream author trying to imitate magical realism rather than a genuine piece of genre-fiction.

My main problem had nothig to do with the book actually. It's a slight work, designed to be read on the beach or something. If you read it slowly then it seems to drag a lot. I think if I'd consumed it over a couple of afternoons then it would have been a lot more enjoyable.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Landor's Tower by Iain Sinclair - About a writer who travels to Wales to write about a poet's attempt to establish a utopian enclave on the border of Wales and England. Meanwhile, an investigative reporter hired by the writer sends him tapes chronicling what appears to be a conspiracy involving multiple suicides and a disgraced British politician. While it's an interesting read, it ultimately feels rather disjointed and the two main plot threads never really seem to be linked together in any meaningful way, making it difficult to figure out what Sinclair was trying to do with this.

Bagweed
Jan 7, 2007

by HELLTANK

Panzram Sandwich posted:

I just managed to trudge through another Brett Easton Ellis novel. This time I read The Informers. It was fairly typical of Ellis for roughly 80% of the book, but closer to the end the vignettes get darker and more disturbing. Vampires and cannibals, rape and murder in Los Angeles; moral wasteland! Woohoo! I think I'd like to read something less nihilistic now.

I also read this one fairly recently. It totally knocked me on my rear end when I got to those later chapters you are talking about with all the weird poo poo they are taking out for the movie. I agree though, Ellis should probably just combine all his books into one book since they are so interconnected. I am sure the film version will be a total crapfest like Less Than Zero was. High five.

If you liked that but you are looking for some less depressing reading I would suggest A Song of Ice an hahahahaha.....................sigh

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Deeper | Jeff Long

A sequel to his previous work The Descent in which the hell and demons of our religions are found to be an actual place inhabited by an evolutionary off-shoot. Lots of mutilations, cannibalism and scary poo poo flying out in dark caves.

The original book ended with what seemed every intention of being a self-contained story. There was no to be continued so when I was glancing through the horror section and saw this I was pretty surprised.

The second book involves mankind's recolonization of the underworld. When chaos is unleashed in the underworld it only serves to increase the growing tensions between the US and China. I didn't like some of the supernatural aspects of the story like ghosts making appearances but I generally don't like supernatural elements in books. I did however love the book and found it to be a lot of fun and frequently gave me the feeling of "...just one more page!"

Total Party Kill fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 25, 2008

Calienta
Apr 4, 2008
A Game of Thrones by, obviously, George R.R. Martin.

I decided to get on my library's website and order all the books that were posted in the Most Suggested Books thread. I am currently waiting for the second book in the series to arrive ... Very impatiently waiting, I might add.

This is the best book I've read in a very long time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

frozenpeas posted:

I just finished The Lovely Bones by Alice Seabold.

Everyone seemed to get excited about this a while back, so I thought I'd have a look at what all the fuss was about. I found the book a bit too sickly at times and I can understand why Pete Jackson and Fran Walsh chose to adapt it - it's entirely their kind of cheese.

That said, it wasn't a bad read and the principal characters drew me in, although the side characters were so faintly drawn that I had trouble remembering who they were. The final couple of chapters were moving, and well timed, but it felt more like a mainstream author trying to imitate magical realism rather than a genuine piece of genre-fiction.

My main problem had nothig to do with the book actually. It's a slight work, designed to be read on the beach or something. If you read it slowly then it seems to drag a lot. I think if I'd consumed it over a couple of afternoons then it would have been a lot more enjoyable.

I had the same kind of reaction as you. I thought the whole "heaven" presence was very saccharine, and was something that could have been handled better than the clouds and wish-fulfillment trope we're all familiar with, more like an alternate consciousness. The chapters dealing with the movement of the body and Mr. Harvey really interested me, and had an edge to them, but I found my attention wandering when the narrator talked about her classmates and little sister. I know it wasn't intended to be that challenging of a read, but I wish the author maintained the intensity of the very disturbing first chapter, if not in tone then at least in immediacy. I found myself flipping ahead in parts, waiting for something interesting to involve me in the characters. Also, I hate it when authors overuse adverbs and I recall one of the author's phrases - "I climbed unsteadily up" - as really bothering me.

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?
I just finished Battle Royale by Koushun Takami. It's was pretty good. The writing is a little clunky, but that could easily be the fault of the translator. The concepts were interesting and the story moved along at a good pace. Of course, I had to go download the movie afterwards - it was terrible, especially in comparison. The story is significantly different between the two and most of the major concepts were left out in leiu of a fast paced slasher film.

Overall, it's a good page turner.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

A friend of the Earth by T.C. Boyle. I picked it up after his Drop City which is one of the best books I've read in a long time. Initially I felt disappointed, "this isn't Drop City", but I started getting into it and enjoying it soon enough. Great cast of characters, an enjoyable mildly futuristic setting with half the book being flash backs to the 80s/90s. The guy can write, no doubt about it. Halfway through his Talk, talk which is so far a relatively standard but well written story about identity theft and the victims tracking the perp down.

HomeStarRuiner
Apr 27, 2008
Hercolubus or Red Planet by V M Rabolu (1926-2000)
Basically, some angry-sounding man lays in his death bed and talks about how much he hates the West. Well, that's rather curt. It's basically this man's account about how an enormous Red Planet is careening at breakneck speed towards the Earth. There's a lot of unsubstantiated theories about how if we try to shoot the planet out of the sky, the inhabitants will kill us (though without a sun, I don't even know how this planet's life could thrive). He goes on to talk about "good" aliens that live in a pseudo-communist society and how they reached him through Astral Projection, and how this process can be used to escape. Admittedly, I did try the mantras in the book, but I suck at rolling r's. Guess, I'm boned when this planet hits.

Edit: Everything I've told you is essentially on the back of the book. It reads like a research paper, almost.

HomeStarRuiner fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 27, 2008

CORGI ORGY
Feb 26, 2007

Just finished Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky. The beginning was a little slow, and I almost stopped reading, but I'm glad I kept going. I feel it went over my head at times, so I'm going to start rereading it in a couple days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I've been burning through all of Orson Scott Card's Ender Saga & Shadow Saga in audiobook format. They are quite good, actually, with a full cast, and I think I prefer the audiobook versions to the text versions.

The author comments a bit after each book, telling his thoughts on the series and on the book in general. He talks about the forthcoming Ender's Game movie and the history behind it, and that the spoken audiobook format is his preferred way for people to enjoy his books.