Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
We can branch out into other areas of clothing, as seen at Hamsexy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
I love it. Perhaps change the frequency on the radio to something wildly inappropriate for emergency work. EME weak signal band segment?

144.125?

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Skyssx posted:

I love it. Perhaps change the frequency on the radio to something wildly inappropriate for emergency work. EME weak signal band segment?

144.125?

No, if you really want to piss people off do something like 144.000 (CW section of the 2m band), 144.20 (2m national calling frequency), or anything in the 440 band. I don't know if its like that everywhere, but around the STL area 70cm is treated like the slums of the repeater world.

'Oh, you're accessing the net from the UHF link?' <-- Smug Meter pegged at S9

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
No one uses CW on VHF, though. 6.52 wouldn't work, because that's going to be a very popular freq if SHTF. Maybe it's too regional to say one freq. Perhaps 4.390 with a broadcast type boom mic next to the radio.

Maybe APRS Hotspot pants, with the yellow patch over the crotch.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Has anyone been able to work the VP8ORK DXpedition? I haven't been able to hear squat.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
Here's an article about why amateur radio isn't very helpful in the Egypt situation, due to the strict control and low affordability of amateur radios there:
Ham Radio Not a Viable Option for Egypt
Some people are still listening though, in case the Internet goes down again.

Vir fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 3, 2011

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

This may be a shot in the dark, but I'm interested in combining my passion for information systems with radio. I'm looking at building out an electronics workshop in a collective space, and want to start experimenting with software radio (a la GNU Radio), but don't want to black-box anything along the way. I'm talking a complete DIY radio setup that is meant to be a teaching resource for others who may be interested, with the ultimate goal of building out city-wide communications infrastructure that can handle both analog and digital broadcasts.

Any resources anyone might be able to steer me towards in terms of building a radio from scratch? Any particularly stable, tough-as-nails, broadcasting setups that'd be worth scrounging?

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
No black box means no integrated circuits - only discrete components, right? (Like transistors and tubes?)

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

I'm not against ICs, but it'd be nice if it was an open-source hardware platform.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Which would be like wires and tubes and analog components and poo poo right? I don't understand what you mean by a "community broadcast network" anyways. You can do Part 15 blanketed stations, maybe?

So I'm exploring the void which is VHF packet radio. I'm looking at the "eastnet packet net" map, and find myself unable to connect to the station that should be local (N2YDF) but I can almost connect and talk to WA2CAM , he's about an S1 so, lol. It takes like a bazillion hours to accomplish anything :(

cmd:c WA2CAM
*** CONNECTED to WA2CAM

oh yeah

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Having given up on the VHF packet for the time being I focused my efforts on UI-View32.

Ham software and getting it working is always a ball, but, after clicking around about 2349823904823904823904982390482 web pages and gathering information, I have it set up, it gets maps from Expedia, I'm able to see stations all over the area, I can talk to them, my beacon goes out, and the IS beacon from APRSDroid on my phone is gated out to RF by the station.

I'd say that's p good for the evening.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
I don't get BBS type packet. It's not 1988 anymore.

UI-View is deprecated. The source code was all destroyed when the author died. You'd do well to not get too attached to it. The APRS WG is trying to keep things functional with UI-View for now, but that'll only last for so long.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Skyssx posted:

I don't get BBS type packet. It's not 1988 anymore.

UI-View is deprecated. The source code was all destroyed when the author died. You'd do well to not get too attached to it. The APRS WG is trying to keep things functional with UI-View for now, but that'll only last for so long.

If people are still running poo poo on DOS and Commodore computers then, do you really mean depreciated as in "Its not going to work for this because someone has changed the protocol (probably some open source type person)" or as in there are better programs or whatever? Aside from being a pain in the rear end like everything else, it seems to work just fine, installed it "straight up" on Windows 7 and have no issues.

Also as I wrote somewhere, if not here a club mail, since there are not a lot of digipeaters around you could use the known fixed station positions to work on building directional equipment and seeing what you can pick off since they are known targets.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Going by the TAPR/APRS listserv, every minor change to APRS is hosed up by UI-View breaking. They make a change or addition to APRS but then put in some code to the packet that lets UI-View function. Eventually, all parties in play are going to say 'gently caress it', and ditch the cruft, horribly breaking UI-View in the process. I think this will happen within a few years.

e: People, including W4APR, want to do much more with APRS, but are limited at each step because they have to consider what the change will do to UI-View.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Yeah I'm reading a bit as to what it can do, but yeah a bunch of the extended functions don't do jack with UI-View. I wonder as to what the VX-8 and various kenwood jobbers do with goofy traffic.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Well, W4APR wrote the software for the Kenwoods, pretty much. Plus, the computer software for them is free.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

Skyssx posted:

Well, W4APR wrote the software for the Kenwoods, pretty much. Plus, the computer software for them is free.
I talked to this guy on a local repeater a couple weeks ago... he was passing through on I95. We were discussing APRS, but it didn't hit me at the time who he was, or else I would have asked him alot more questions.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
Since my suffix is VD, I think I may make up a special certificate to mail out in place of a QSL card, and go thru all the bands on Valentines Day, kind of like a special event station without a special call sign.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
You've got VD?

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Went to the Richmond Hamfest (Frostfest) last weekend. :gonk:

Honestly, I think the only hamfests worth going to are Dayton, and then the huge regional ones like Huntsville, Orlando, etc.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Skyssx posted:

e: People, including W4APR, want to do much more with APRS, but are limited at each step because they have to consider what the change will do to UI-View.

WB4APR (W4APR isn't allocated) doesn't have much room to talk in this regard, unfortunately. While some don't want to break UI-View, with Bob you can't break the Kenwoods.

Attending the APRS forum at Dayton is fun, though. Bob's an idea machine. I think last year the idea was a RFID mat with tags on your shoes that'd announce your position as you crossed it to APRS.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Please see my previous post about trolling with pants that have yellow circles on the crotch.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Stopped by AES Cleveland today as I was in the area. Got ninja jumped by a salesman who would just not leave us alone. I was looking for a 2m only Arrow GP vertical. They only had the J-poles and a breakdown yagi. I'd have bought a breakdown OSJ, but no such luck. Despite telling the guy three times that I didn't have the money to buy a HF rig today, he couldn't stop talking about them and how much the K2 sucked. :???: Apparently I should look at the TS-590 if i'm thinking of a K2, even though it's three times the price.

Anyway, every radio was half the size I thought it was except the FT-2900. That was right on. FT-8900... holy poo poo tiny faceplate. Sub-chicklet sized keys. Same with the V71A. The only mobiles with decently sized controls are the D-STAR and APRS specific radios.

So here's what i'm thinking. FT-2900 - base station APRS/Echolink-L, TS-480HX and TM-D710A mobile, some SDR for base station HF, K2 portable. I need to find a new job.

Xenpo
Feb 20, 2009
I hear you on the new job, a fuel line replacement killed my purchase of an FT-817ND, and with a timing belt and head gasket replacement looming, it is going to be a while longer.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Ugh. I just paid the price of an 817 on a 30k mile service + 4x4 maintenance. I'm done with dealer services, though. Every time I find the simplest things that were ignored during the service. Like, I know my tires were rotated for sure. How do I know that? Because the fronts were 33 PSI and the rears were at 30, the exact opposite of what they should be. Then the check-list sheet noted tire pressure set to 34 all around, wrong again. Then the windshield sprayer system was marked "ok", not "maintenance recommended" or "required", and the passenger side doesn't work at all. And I TOLD them that when the vehicle was dropped off. AND, parts are on order by the technician to FIX THE PROBLEM! I'm loving done giving money to this pencil whipping service department. It's not worth the hassle to me to go around retorquing and checking everything after each service.

gently caress car dealers.

Xenpo
Feb 20, 2009
Heh, where I live there is only one Certified Subaru Mechanic for 2 1/2 hours. They are my only choice, well short of learning to fix it myself. I am good with computers, mechanics not so much at this point (though you can always learn!). To get back on topic what is your current rig?(or do you have one?)

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Xenpo posted:

Heh, where I live there is only one Certified Subaru Mechanic for 2 1/2 hours. They are my only choice, well short of learning to fix it myself. I am good with computers, mechanics not so much at this point (though you can always learn!). To get back on topic what is your current rig?(or do you have one?)

Nothing in HF, which is fine, because I haven't got any (real) privileges there. General upgrade in the next few months.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
I don't have any problems whatsoever operating the FT-2900 controls. I'm able to work them while driving, without looking at the radio, while wearing my beloved deerskin gloves. It is a solid radio, I highly recommend it.

Xenpo
Feb 20, 2009
Ft-2900: price $154.95. Now that I can do, and finally get on the air (at least locally). Thanks for the suggestion. Any suggestion for antennas to go with it? I have a Subaru Forester with ski mounts on the roof, and from what I've heard for highway speeds I don't want a mag mount. I've also seen very tall antennas on other hams' cars and don't really want to bust my bridge clearance (how do they work that anyway?).

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Xenpo posted:

Ft-2900: price $154.95. Now that I can do, and finally get on the air (at least locally). Thanks for the suggestion. Any suggestion for antennas to go with it? I have a Subaru Forester with ski mounts on the roof, and from what I've heard for highway speeds I don't want a mag mount.

Universal Radio has them in any configuration you could want, luggage rack, hatchback, bumper, and roof mounts. Depends on how much drilling you want to do, if any.

There is one thing I will definitely recommend for any mobile install, and that's making sure you have a proper ground plane for the antenna. The easiest way to ensure a good connection to ground is to install grounding straps between the doors, hood, and trunk/hatchback and the body of the car. With the flat straps like the ones I linked, you can either connect them in-line with the bolts holding the door/trunk/hood or attach them seperately with self tapping screws. Either way, make sure to scrape the paint off of the connection area to ensure good metal to metal contact.

I know a lot of people disagree with me on that step calling it unnecessary, but there are gaps in the body panels and the panels and nuts/bolts are painted, reducing the effectiveness of the ground.

quote:

I've also seen very tall antennas on other hams' cars and don't really want to bust my bridge clearance (how do they work that anyway?).

They scrape the poo poo out of the bottom of the bridge and the top of their antenna. I do know a few CBers who tie down their 102" whips when not in use, but I don't see many Hams who do that for their equipment.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
I'm an idiot... I have a FT-7900 not a FT-2900.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
From what I hear, a Larsen NMO 2/70B will probably outlast you. The black one with the open coil whip is able to strike things and flex where the chromed one with the enclosed coil will crack at the coil. There are bunches of people on eham.net that have had them for decades at a stretch.

https://www.k0bg.com has so many tips on mobile operation, it appears to be a one stop shop.

Larsen true New Motorola mounts are waterproof by themselves, and you can put on a larsen cap with rubber grommet for even more protection in car washes.

Big Hustle - you can use piercing fasteners to get good contact with the metal without compromising the rust proofing under the paint. Protection from salt is very very high on my mobile set-up ideals.

Xenpo
Feb 20, 2009
BigHustle thanks for the mounting and grounding advice and Skyssx thanks for the information/website! AbsentMindedWelder thanks for the radio suggestion! I know this is going to take much more research on my part however. I have never done a car install of anything at all, and will most likely look for some local Hams to see if they can assist me as well in this process. I build computers (IT guy) and have never worked on (or attempted to) a car.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...
Hmm... I just got owned by Cleverbot.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
I drove from Cleveland to Lansing and back and didn't get gated once. Time to seriously rethink my APRS situation.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

What's your "pathyola" ?

Also, trying to determine if 6 meters is worth while looking into. Again from speculation you can put up an outbacker and work HF but then you get into 6 meter and go nowhere on a vert because it is VHF... so .... its a pain in the rear end or what:?

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
wide1-1,wide2-1

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Partycat posted:

What's your "pathyola" ?

Also, trying to determine if 6 meters is worth while looking into. Again from speculation you can put up an outbacker and work HF but then you get into 6 meter and go nowhere on a vert because it is VHF... so .... its a pain in the rear end or what:?

I have never once heard anyone on 6M. Never. It's frustrating because, limited as it may be, at least it'll throw farther than 70cm (which is PACKED by comparison, here). I really want 6M to be the VHF band that people flock to but it seems to be the exact opposite. Whyyyyyy?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Skyssx posted:

wide1-1,wide2-1

afaik thats what it looks like after digipeater here, so, maybe wide1-1,wide2-2 ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Catastrophe posted:

I have never once heard anyone on 6M. Never. It's frustrating because, limited as it may be, at least it'll throw farther than 70cm (which is PACKED by comparison, here). I really want 6M to be the VHF band that people flock to but it seems to be the exact opposite. Whyyyyyy?

6 meters has very few openings this time of year. Things will pick up in the spring and summer.