Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I'm having a bit of trouble with an '04 SV. When at or near full throttle around 6.5 or 7k or so it suddenly bogs and loses pretty significant amounts of power, sputters and backfires, and then clears up around 8k or so. It has a Yosh slipon and jdonz suggested that it may be because it doesn't have a map for the pipe? Has anyone experienced this before? It had an older tank of gas when I got it, but since has had a few tanks run through it and is fine everywhere else in the revs so that shouldn't be the issue.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I was having that exact same problem. You're experiencing what's called an acceleration "flat spot" according to the Internet and tons of Googling. Getting your bike tuned on a dyno specifically for your pipe should clear it up. Also Yoshi pipes sound phenomenal! (I have one too!)

Nobody's posted pictures of their bikes in a while...

I'd like to thank Z3n for helping me through all my plight in getting this thing running. When I get some extra money I'm gonna get some paint supplies and I'll make you a mural for your house.* :buddy:

*will not contain dung, human blood, or dairy. Unless specifically requested, but at that point I'll request half of the profit from its exorbitant auction in the contemporary art scene

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

"bitches ain't poo poo"?

Nice, Big Bird, nice.

Is that the only sticker on the bike?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Yeah, haha. I couldn't think of anything else to put on it, but when I saw Big Bird's stoned face staring back at me on eBay, I knew exactly what he had to say. I'm thinking for the future of adding Winnie the Pooh, Barney, and Elmo to complete the whole childhood crew.

My helmet:

And currently sitting on my desk:

Yeah I'm a nerd. :colbert:

edit: also trying to get this made into a sticker for my car:

...but I don't know anyone who can. :(

double edit: stickers :spergin:

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Mar 3, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Quite A Tool posted:

I'm having a bit of trouble with an '04 SV. When at or near full throttle around 6.5 or 7k or so it suddenly bogs and loses pretty significant amounts of power, sputters and backfires, and then clears up around 8k or so. It has a Yosh slipon and jdonz suggested that it may be because it doesn't have a map for the pipe? Has anyone experienced this before? It had an older tank of gas when I got it, but since has had a few tanks run through it and is fine everywhere else in the revs so that shouldn't be the issue.

Xovaan is dead on. There's some ways around it on the carbed bikes but the FI ones pretty much require a power commander and remap.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
So a PC is required for that? drat, that sounds like it'll be a little pricey.

Edit: Found a shop that would do the map for 175, but it's like 350 for the power commander goddamn.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 3, 2012

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

PC's go on Craigslist fairly often. I'm sure, if you found one also in another area, you could get a member here to ship it to you if you don't mind the paypal and shipping fees. There is actually one in the bay area for $170 right now, I believe.

edit: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/2879350850.html

Bit of a chunk off from retail

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 5, 2012

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Quite A Tool posted:

Sorry about that. The PC was something I had always planned on doing, I just hadn't gotten around to doing it before I sold the bike. I never experienced the backfire, but definitely when pinning the throttle there was a flat spot between 6.5 and 8k, just how Quite A Tool is mentioned. Also, I should note, that it only happened when pinning the throttle, when rolling on in a normal manner there was no flat spot and acceleration was normal.

Keep us posted. I'm hoping that if you do install the PC that it fixes the issue.

I'm only posting because I don't want the internet to thing I'm a douche.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

jdonz posted:

Sorry about that. The PC was something I had always planned on doing, I just hadn't gotten around to doing it before I sold the bike. I never experienced the backfire, but definitely when pinning the throttle there was a flat spot between 6.5 and 8k, just how Quite A Tool is mentioned. Also, I should note, that it only happened when pinning the throttle, when rolling on in a normal manner there was no flat spot and acceleration was normal.

Keep us posted. I'm hoping that if you do install the PC that it fixes the issue.

I'm only posting because I don't want the internet to thing I'm a douche.

Hah, this man is most certainly not a douche.

I'm just kind of at a loss and being this is my first FI bike I really didn't know where to start. I've been scouring CL for a PC and I'll make sure to update once I get one installed and tuned.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
A pc and a proper tune will fix that. It can be difficult to find a good tuner though.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Regarding the PC, I've been on craigslist the past few days and I have seen a few up for sale, but they are taken off other bikes. I couldn't really find any info off the website regarding if this is actually an issue, or if it's just a matter of what they come installed with?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Quite A Tool posted:

Regarding the PC, I've been on craigslist the past few days and I have seen a few up for sale, but they are taken off other bikes. I couldn't really find any info off the website regarding if this is actually an issue, or if it's just a matter of what they come installed with?

You'll need one for your engine generation of sv. I think the ranges are 03-07 and 08-09 , but I'm not positive. If you can't find info on it, post up and I'll dig up some real references.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Z3n posted:

You'll need one for your engine generation of sv. I think the ranges are 03-07 and 08-09 , but I'm not positive. If you can't find info on it, post up and I'll dig up some real references.

It's 03-06 (PC3-313-411), 07-08 (PC3-337-411) and 09-10 (PCV-20-009).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Xovaan posted:

It's part of the body kit. I think it's to capture more air for the radiator? :iiam:

Gonna try to mock up some dazzle camo for the bike later this evening.

http://www.snowcheckdirect.com/freeride-146-154-dazzle-camo.html

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Sir Cornelius posted:

It's 03-06 (PC3-313-411), 07-08 (PC3-337-411) and 09-10 (PCV-20-009).

Right on, thank you. I've found one on ebay for $199 but I've never actually used ebay before so I'm super hesitant to take a shot at something I can't even look at first. The search continues.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Quite A Tool posted:

Right on, thank you. I've found one on ebay for $199 but I've never actually used ebay before so I'm super hesitant to take a shot at something I can't even look at first. The search continues.

Ebay is generally pretty good when paired with paypal, if it's not as described you'll get your money back.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Some pics of my SV which I haven't gotten around to posting yet:

You can see my extended fender in that one.

And that's a switch controlling my heated grips. Drilled a hole in my bucket headlight housing and it's a pretty decent spot - I can reach it without trouble while riding.

Can't really see it in the pics but the only other modification that I've done is rearset pegs. Oh, and front turn signals from a KTM 690 SMC.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Hell yeah. It just looks so silly that it has to work!

Alternatively, I was gonna do the Van Halen Stripes like another member here did awesomely to his bike.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dazzle camouflage was designed to confound an enemy's ability to judge your speed, range and direction. I can't see how applying it to a motorcycle could possibly have a bad outcome!

(Seriously, as cool as dazzle camo is, it really does mess with your ability to determine what it is you're looking at, especially at a distance. I really wouldn't want car drivers being even *more* confused by what they're looking at)

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 9, 2012

Anarchist
Apr 2, 2003

In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now.
I had a shop order me a battery, I gave them the model number from the manual but they ordered a CTX12a-BS instead. Will this work in a G1 sv or do I need them to reorder one for me?

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Dazzle camouflage was designed to confound an enemy's ability to judge your speed, range and direction. I can't see how applying it to a motorcycle could possibly have a bad outcome!

(Seriously, as cool as dazzle camo is, it really does mess with your ability to determine what it is you're looking at, especially at a distance. I really wouldn't want car drivers being even *more* confused by what they're looking at)

I doubt it makes much of a difference on a motorcycle. The idea behind dazzle was create the appearance of a bow/stern on many surfaces on the hull of a ship, rather than something more advanced like digital camo, which is designed to break up the form of the object entirely. Admittedly, it would be confusing to see a blot of broken lines heading at you, but it would not disappear the way digicam does.

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
Are there any good solutions for hard cases or luggage racks on the curvy (I've a 2000)? Ideally, I should have something welded up; my fiance's been wanting a backrest and I'd love a rack on the back. As much as I love the SV, just a few more places to bolt things on the bag would go a long way.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

Are there any good solutions for hard cases or luggage racks on the curvy (I've a 2000)? Ideally, I should have something welded up; my fiance's been wanting a backrest and I'd love a rack on the back. As much as I love the SV, just a few more places to bolt things on the bag would go a long way.

Givi makes a top-box rack that isn't too ugly.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Alright so the decision has been made to keep the SV. I've been searching around for some shops and I found http://www.pcpoffroad.com/ who will do the PC, install and the map for a total of around $600.

Anyone have any experience with shops in the Phoenix area? Everywhere else I've looked is going to run another 100+ or more.

Edit: After calling the MSF place I went to and the local helmet shop I usually go to both have directed me to GO AZ as Mark Ledesma works there. Appears he's the local super dude when it comes to dyno tuning.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 15, 2012

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010
Any idea what a new Gladius would go for?

I've been trying to look for a used 650 in my area, but the nearest ones are a ways away and the asking price is always a bit steep compared to what the bikes are actually worth (not counting the tried and true people will go with lower offers when cash is waved at them). Or one will pop up in the classifieds only to be scooped up later.

That being said, I checked online and a shop about forty minutes from me (Pennsylvania) has the Gladius in stock. Would it be worth it to wait it out and see if I can find a good used 650, or would the Gladius be a good buy if I can get it cheap enough? I tried to do a price comparison, but looking up bikes online 650s seem like they're a lot fewer and further in between compared to the last time I was looking. Also, fwiw this will be my first bike. (I fear going less than a SV650 will not bode well for my tall, fat body.)

Thanks for the help.

GunForumMeme fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 17, 2012

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

GunForumMeme posted:

I've been trying to look for a used 650 in my area, but the nearest ones are a ways away and the asking price is always a bit steep compared to what the bikes are actually worth (not counting the tried and true people will go with lower offers when cash is waved at them). Or one will pop up in the classifieds only to be scooped up later.

That being said, I checked online and a shop about forty minutes from me (Pennsylvania) has the Gladius in stock. Would it be worth it to wait it out and see if I can find a good used 650, or would the Gladius be a good buy if I can get it cheap enough? I tried to do a price comparison, but looking up bikes online 650s seem like they're a lot fewer and further in between compared to the last time I was looking. Also, fwiw this will be my first bike. (I fear going less than a SV650 will not bode well for my tall, fat body.)

Thanks for the help.
Cant help you with the price but i will say (before everyone else comes along and says the same) don't buy a new bike as your first bike. also don't mistake displacement for ergonomics, CCs != Comfort. Any bike with above 35hp will out accelerate most cars no matter how lardy the rider.
If you're tall look at dualsports/enduros as well as standard bikes, they have the best legroom.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

GunForumMeme posted:

Since it's your first bike you might want to be wise and consider a bike that's already been dropped at least once.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

GunForumMeme posted:

(I fear going less than a SV650 will not bode well for my tall, fat body.)

http://cycle-ergo.com/

This site will be your friend.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

GunForumMeme posted:

Thanks for the help.

That's what I did for my first bike and I regret making that decision. I like my Glady, but should have stuck it out for something cheaper/used on Craigslist.

Don't do it (yet, wait a year or so)!

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

I'm hearing and feeling a clicking coming from around the front of the tank whenever the front forks depress a bit, either under braking or even when just rocking the front forks while the front brake is held at a standstill. Any idea what this could be from? It's annoying because you can feel it click through the handlebars.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

bladesamurai posted:

I'm hearing and feeling a clicking coming from around the front of the tank whenever the front forks depress a bit, either under braking or even when just rocking the front forks while the front brake is held at a standstill. Any idea what this could be from? It's annoying because you can feel it click through the handlebars.

head bearings

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

invision posted:

head bearings

Does the clicking indicate that they need to be replaced?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

bladesamurai posted:

Does the clicking indicate that they need to be replaced?

You can try tightening them up if they're taper bearings. changing them isn't a huge job though

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
So I've got a new 2001 SV650.

It's due for its valve check/adjustment. It's got 32k. It was in spec at 15k. It sounds mighty good though. I'll check nevertheless.

The p.o. said he didn't replace any gaskets in the engine since he got the bike at 4,000 miles old, in 2007. Should I be getting engine gaskets for my engine? If so, which ones other than the valve head gasket(s)?

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

the walkin dude posted:

So I've got a new 2001 SV650.

It's due for its valve check/adjustment. It's got 32k. It was in spec at 15k. It sounds mighty good though. I'll check nevertheless.

The p.o. said he didn't replace any gaskets in the engine since he got the bike at 4,000 miles old, in 2007. Should I be getting engine gaskets for my engine? If so, which ones other than the valve head gasket(s)?

You don't need any gaskets to check valve clearance on a SV650. The valve cover gasket is rubber and is reusable.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
So the valve head gaskets are fine at 32k?

Just asking because my ZX-6R's valve head gasket was seeping at 13.5k.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

the walkin dude posted:

So the valve head gaskets are fine at 32k?

Just asking because my ZX-6R's valve head gasket was seeping at 13.5k.

The valve cover gasket will probably be fine even at 32K, yes. If it doesn't leak now it's most likely fine.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Woot! Now to find a shop that can do it for me. Weep.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The check is easy, so why not DIY it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

the walkin dude posted:

Woot! Now to find a shop that can do it for me. Weep.

It's a pretty easy and straight-forward job. Get a shop manual like Clymer or Haynes. You'll need one anyway.

In my experience mc-repair shops will be willing to lend you a dial caliper and a shim-set and only make you pay for the shims you use ($3-5 each) if you befriend them with a fistful of beer. It's easier than having you running back and forth shopping individual shims.

Edit: Get a magnetic pointer if you do this. Shims dropped in the valve-train is a pretty bad thing.

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 26, 2012

• Locked thread