Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Birds have been cooperative lately.

Golden-crowned Sparrow by Icybacon, on Flickr

Acorn Woodpecker by Icybacon, on Flickr

Gray Jay by Icybacon, on Flickr

Townsend's Solitaire by Icybacon, on Flickr
(Probably should re-do this with less sharpening, yes?)

PEREGRINE KILL GORE! :black101:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I just wanted to say; I'm jealous of all y'all, and I need to get some better lenses.

I don't think there is a thread in this forum that I'm not jealous of someone. You folks all stepped up your game!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
/\/\ Don't be jealous, be productive! Put some bird pictures up here - we're not going to dump on anybody for posting shots taken at a birdfeeder, the zoo, or even your aunt's caged budgie.

On the subject of "better lenses", does anybody shoot birds with a 300mm prime? I'm trying to focus (heh) my lens-lust, and after spending the last few months fantasizing about the DA* 60-250mm f/4 I'm now leaning towards the DA* 300mm f/4. I'd like some impressions about handling, particularly for shooting smaller birds with busy backgrounds (little passerines in trees, for example).

Is it true that for a given focal length and aperture, a prime will be sharper and have less aberations and distortions? Both lenses are similar in price when new, though the zoom is currently available for about $1000 second-hand and I can't find the prime for less than $1300 - it seems to be simply less widely available on the second-hand market.

This is to replace my el-cheapo Sigma 100-300mm f/4.5-6.7 DL, so I'm sure either lens would be a huge step up.

My plan for this when-my-budget-allows upgrade is for smaller birds at fairly close distances, such as what I see walking along a forest path. There's less light under forest canopy, of course, but I'm confident f/4 will be bright enough, especially considering the cost of f/2.8 lenses longer than 200mm (e.g. FA* 300mm f/2.8 - about $3500), which are not weathersealed and obviously weigh considerably more.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I highly recommend renting for a bit first. I've used both the (Nikon) 300mm f/4 and f/2.8 VRII models. They're bulky and somewhat heavy, but still fairly manageable. They are really, really good lenses though. I should try one of them out again now that I have a much better idea of what I'm doing.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

I like my Canon 300/4 a lot, and f/4 definitely makes a noticeable difference in the woods (though small hyperactive birds are still assholes). It's also right at the upper limit of size & weight where I'll take it backpacking and still feel good about camera choice at day's end.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
I've shot with primes pretty much from the beginning when I started doing bird photography, its really the way to go. The 300 f/4 is a really nice lens; my gf's dad shoots Pentax and has one. I think its a bit short for birding in the wild but great for setups or tamer species.

I normally wouldn't ever suggest changing systems for most photography, but honestly Pentax is pretty limiting when it comes to wildlife (and sports). There's lots to like about Pentax but eventually you run into a wall when it comes to an upgrade path. There's a reason that Canikon is king in wildlife shooting. They have more to offer, like Canon's excellent and affordable (in camerabux) 400mm f/5.6. Its lighter and longer than the 300 f/4 and there are dozens of them on eBay at all times. Also, there's more of an infrastructure around the big two - rental equipment, more third party options, the used market, service centers, etc. The point is, if you are looking to drop some money to upgrade, you might consider an overall upgrade path rather than just the next lens up if you think you might be interested in doing wildlife photography well into the future.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I think smallmouth shoots with a fixed. He's posted in here a few times.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Being able to shoot nearly wide open and still get very sharp shots is a huge advantage of the prime lenses. Certainly helps keep those shutter speeds fast.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

If you're looking at something in the $1000 neighborhood, the new Tamron 150-600mm might be worth a try once rental places have it in stock. The reviews have been pretty positive so far and it's significantly lighter than anything else that would give you that kind of range. The down side is a f/5-6.3 maximum aperture, but I rarely find that a problem when shooting outdoors.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Moon Potato posted:

If you're looking at something in the $1000 neighborhood, the new Tamron 150-600mm might be worth a try once rental places have it in stock. The reviews have been pretty positive so far and it's significantly lighter than anything else that would give you that kind of range. The down side is a f/5-6.3 maximum aperture, but I rarely find that a problem when shooting outdoors.

I've only really had an issue in that range right after sunset when you're trying to squeeze that last hour in. Otherwise I'm in the f8 range and let ISO soak up the difference.

I'm super excited about the new Tamron. I think its bigger down side is just how gently caress off huge it is.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

I've shouldered smaller rifles!

How much does all of that weigh?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

VendaGoat posted:

I've shouldered smaller rifles!

How much does all of that weigh?

4.3lbs

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Thanks for all the advice! The budget won't allow for this for at least a few months (barring surprises one way or the other), but it's nice to have something to dream about...

I'm pretty committed to Pentax, and I disagree that there's a clear inferiority in upgrade path - with the giant exception of full-frame, of course (haven't we already had a FF-vs-crop debate?). The 300/4 is intended to fit between my 105mm macro (too short for birds, but such a fantastic lens I can't bear to leave it behind for any photo trip - and if the birds aren't cooperating, there's always bugs/flowers/etc.) and my 500mm. Someday I'll be wealthy enough to upgrade the 500mm - which in Pentax-land means HD DA 560mm/5.6 or the FA* 600/4, both in the $6000 range (i.e. "unicorn farts" to my current financial situation and medium-term prospects). Plus, the 500mm (any 500mm with an aperture better than F/8) is too big and heavy to comfortably carry very far in a ready-to-shoot position (sure, I can put it in a backpack and climb a mountain, but that's far outside the time window for pretty much any wildlife encounter) and I'm looking for something specific to two birding scenarios:
1. Small birds, mostly passerines, in forest environments. Close range, less light, and they're likely to disappear fairly quickly. That's been my experience so far, where I've been really feeling the limitations of my current el-cheapo setup.
2. (slightly mad option) take advantage of the Pentax weathersealing and get low, really low on some waterfowl. Camera angle is a big part of composition, right? And everyone always says to get ducks at something closer to their eye level for more interesting pictures. So how about I put my wetsuit on and go wading into a pond, to get punched in the face by a swan? :haw: <- should be missing a tooth

Hey, I can dream, can't I?

Renting to get direct experience would be great, if anybody in Canada rented any longer Pentax-mount lenses. Oh well.

A bit more on the Canon vs. Niknon vs. Pentax vs. Olympus vs. Sony thing, as it applies COMPLETELY SUBJECTIVELY to me and my aspirations. I think it would cost me somewhere in the area of $5000 - at least - to get me to a position with either Canon or Nikon gear that was clearly superior to my current Pentax setup, and didn't sacrifice anything I consider critical (that list includes weathersealing and reach of greater than 400mm on APS-C). That's how much my car cost, two years ago, and with a car like that you don't get to ignore its finances and still be able to get places to shoot pictures. Again, completely my own personal position.
I have no data for either Sony or Olympus.

Back to birds! I've been meaning to get out properly and try my hand at some winter bird photography, partly inspired (very inspired!) by Internet Junky, partly just because I like birds and my ego depends to some extent on my ability to humblebrag about being outdoors in winter. What should I especially look for? I'm planning to go to Beaver Creek just south of Saskatoon; this is the Northern Great Plains, so I'm expecting chickadees, ravens, and magpies, but I don't know what else I should be searching for.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Shooting with a pentax body isn't a bad thing, but completely ignoring options from Sigma and Tamron that will mount to it is leaving out some very nice lens options.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

ExecuDork posted:

2. (slightly mad option) take advantage of the Pentax weathersealing and get low, really low on some waterfowl. Camera angle is a big part of composition, right? And everyone always says to get ducks at something closer to their eye level for more interesting pictures. So how about I put my wetsuit on and go wading into a pond, to get punched in the face by a swan? :haw: <- should be missing a tooth

I own waders for just this reason! Its really the only way to shoot waterfowl if the bank is too high.

re: renting - this is your best bet for pentax. They have a 300 f/4 but no FA 300 2.8 or 600 f4 sadly.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

That new Tamron lens looks pretty great. They are absolutely going to murder Canon's 100-400 market with that thing. All the birding lists I'm on have lit up with excitement over it.

ExecuDork posted:

Back to birds! I've been meaning to get out properly and try my hand at some winter bird photography, partly inspired (very inspired!) by Internet Junky, partly just because I like birds and my ego depends to some extent on my ability to humblebrag about being outdoors in winter. What should I especially look for? I'm planning to go to Beaver Creek just south of Saskatoon; this is the Northern Great Plains, so I'm expecting chickadees, ravens, and magpies, but I don't know what else I should be searching for.
Winter birding in the prairies is like trying to find water in a desert. If you're going to a park, you might luck out and find one that people are maintaining feeders at, in which case you'll have a chance to photograph all the nearby birds (hint: they'll be chickadees). Otherwise find some berry trees and park yourself for a while. I just got back from doing that and lucked out when 1000 waxwings descended and stripped the trees bare in front of me. I also lucked out with a winter robin and a solitaire. I don't know what Saskatoon is like this winter, but a lot of the typical winter birds (redpolls, siskins, grosbeaks, crossbills) have not come down south into Edmonton at all this year. I imagine it's the same for you.

Today was day #3 of me chasing the Wood Duck that popped up in Edmonton with no luck yet. He's showing up along the river near the waste water plant, so the river remains open there the entire winter. Thousands of ducks were there, and they offer a pretty great opportunity to shoot them as they fly along the river.

[edit]

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I own waders for just this reason! Its really the only way to shoot waterfowl if the bank is too high.
Kayak!

InternetJunky fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 1, 2014

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

InternetJunky posted:

[edit]

Kayak!

All of your shots are great, but this Cedar Waxwing took my breath away. Looks like a Christmas card, but better.

So, you kayaking photographers, do you just tether your camera to you and hope for the best? I live near a river now, and I love kayaking. I'm also a massive klutz and would likely drop my kit in the drink. Tell me your methods!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
There's a long running kayak thread over at http://photography-on-the.net that should have some useful info. Unfortunately I live in England that has arcane laws that basically mean 98% of our waterways have no public right of navigation.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Ghost Cactus posted:

All of your shots are great, but this Cedar Waxwing took my breath away. Looks like a Christmas card, but better.

So, you kayaking photographers, do you just tether your camera to you and hope for the best? I live near a river now, and I love kayaking. I'm also a massive klutz and would likely drop my kit in the drink. Tell me your methods!

I have a canoe so I just throw my gear in a dry bag at my feet. When I get where I think I'll start shooting, I'll leave the bag open with the camera pointed body up so I can grab it. I haven't had the opportunity to take it out very much but it seems to work fine the few times I've tried it. I've seen pics online of people strapping a tripod to the kayak and keeping the rig attached to that but I think most people just keep it stashed between their legs. The idea of expensive gear in a tippy boat is really stressful at first but its pretty safe if you aren't doing anything dumb. I would also suggest a kayak over a canoe for photography. I like my canoe but I got it so that I could take it out with my gf and pack camping gear and such. I'd way rather have a kayak that's more maneuverable and low in the water for bird making GBS threads.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Pablo Bluth posted:

There's a long running kayak thread over at http://photography-on-the.net that should have some useful info. Unfortunately I live in England that has arcane laws that basically mean 98% of our waterways have no public right of navigation.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I have a canoe so I just throw my gear in a dry bag at my feet. When I get where I think I'll start shooting, I'll leave the bag open with the camera pointed body up so I can grab it. I haven't had the opportunity to take it out very much but it seems to work fine the few times I've tried it. I've seen pics online of people strapping a tripod to the kayak and keeping the rig attached to that but I think most people just keep it stashed between their legs. The idea of expensive gear in a tippy boat is really stressful at first but its pretty safe if you aren't doing anything dumb. I would also suggest a kayak over a canoe for photography. I like my canoe but I got it so that I could take it out with my gf and pack camping gear and such. I'd way rather have a kayak that's more maneuverable and low in the water for bird making GBS threads.

Thank you and thank you. I think I'll try out the dry bag at my feet and hope for the best! I'm going to aim for a kayak, and I'll post any decent bird shits I get.

ntrepid
Oct 11, 2004
Uh..
Shot some birds from the back porch this morning. First time using the 300mm lens my dad let me borrow. I like this much better than the 138mm! Overall I'm much happier with this set compared to the first set I posted a few weeks ago.

Juvenile Eastern Bluebird by ntrepid, on Flickr

Song Sparrow by ntrepid, on Flickr

Tufted Titmouse by ntrepid, on Flickr

Family of Eastern Bluebirds by ntrepid, on Flickr

Family of Eastern Bluebirds 2 by ntrepid, on Flickr

Eastern Bluebird by ntrepid, on Flickr

Eastern Bluebird Cleaning Himself by ntrepid, on Flickr

Eastern Bluebird by ntrepid, on Flickr

Mourning Dove by ntrepid, on Flickr

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Beautiful! As an aside, I notice you're doing the same thing I did when I first started using lenses like that: shooting all my pictures wide open.

You might try dropping the f-stop to 5.6 or so. Gain a bit of extra depth of field (which can help ensure you're focused on those little birds) and some sharpness.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Ghost Cactus posted:

Thanks!

quote:

I don't know if this image will appear or not, but here's me in my kayak:

No wet bag, no tethering, lots of insurance.

I started out with stabilisers and bungee cords with my 600 mounted on a sturdy tripod, and aside from looking like a Polish WWII submarine it was impossible to shoot anything. Any sort of kayak movement translated into a missed shot. Even in dead calm I had to approach exactly at the right angle.

Now my lens sits on a towel on the floor in front of me.

The kayak I bought is a fishing kayak, and I got it because of its stability. I can stand in it if I want. Highly recommended!

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

InternetJunky posted:

Thanks!

I don't know if this image will appear or not, but here's me in my kayak:

No wet bag, no tethering, lots of insurance.

I started out with stabilisers and bungee cords with my 600 mounted on a sturdy tripod, and aside from looking like a Polish WWII submarine it was impossible to shoot anything. Any sort of kayak movement translated into a missed shot. Even in dead calm I had to approach exactly at the right angle.

Now my lens sits on a towel on the floor in front of me.

The kayak I bought is a fishing kayak, and I got it because of its stability. I can stand in it if I want. Highly recommended!

Super helpful - thank you. Craigslist has some fishing kayaks nearby so it's good to know that's what you recommend.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

InternetJunky posted:

Winter birding in the prairies is like trying to find water in a desert. If you're going to a park, you might luck out and find one that people are maintaining feeders at, in which case you'll have a chance to photograph all the nearby birds (hint: they'll be chickadees). Otherwise find some berry trees and park yourself for a while. I just got back from doing that and lucked out when 1000 waxwings descended and stripped the trees bare in front of me. I also lucked out with a winter robin and a solitaire. I don't know what Saskatoon is like this winter, but a lot of the typical winter birds (redpolls, siskins, grosbeaks, crossbills) have not come down south into Edmonton at all this year. I imagine it's the same for you.

As predicted, we saw chickadees. Fortunately, I really like chickadees, and they seem to like us, too.

SD 134 Beaver Creek in Winter 9 by Execudork, on Flickr

SD 134 Beaver Creek in Winter 10 by Execudork, on Flickr

We saw some berry trees, and what might have been Waxwings very early on and from a long distance, but never the two together. The park employee / volunteer who very kindly deactivated the alarm and let us use the visitor centre washrooms as she was locking up told us they had no Cedar Waxwings, just some Bohemian Waxwings, very apologetically. Also, she'd counted 22 ravens in the local flock, who circled around being rather noisy but I never got a good shot. Oh well.

Plus a Downy Woodpecker.

SD 134 Beaver Creek in Winter 15 by Execudork, on Flickr

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Oh my god I love this so much :3:

It's hard to believe that they weigh so much less than my little parrot despite being only a little bit smaller than she is.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Boundary Bay & Burns Bog. Note to self: learn to manual focus soon.

Heron Portrait.

heron_portrait (1 of 1) by Chris in Vancouver, on Flickr

Heron Portrait 2

heron_portrait_3 (1 of 1) by Chris in Vancouver, on Flickr

Heron Habitat Shot

heron_portrait_2 (1 of 1) by Chris in Vancouver, on Flickr

Norther Harrier field guide shot

northern_harrier_audubon (1 of 1) by Chris in Vancouver, on Flickr

Northern Harrier portrait

northern_harrier (1 of 1) by Chris in Vancouver, on Flickr

Eagle Row

eagle_row _2 (1 of 1) by Chris in Vancouver, on Flickr

Eagle Row 2

eagle_row _3 (1 of 1) by Chris in Vancouver, on Flickr

Sparrow?

lbj_1 (1 of 1) by Chris in Vancouver, on Flickr

Sparrow? 2

lbj_2 (1 of 1) by Chris in Vancouver, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Did not have my usual bird setup but managed to get this yesterday.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

One Swell Foop posted:

Boundary Bay & Burns Bog. Note to self: learn to manual focus soon.

Shoot me a PM next time you're going, I'm always down to shoot that area and live in New West.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

VelociBacon posted:

Shoot me a PM next time you're going, I'm always down to shoot that area and live in New West.

You know if there are any snowy owls out there this year?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

I can't help you on the ID but I love this shot. Well framed, sharp, very nice to look at.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Dread Head posted:

You know if there are any snowy owls out there this year?

I think we're too late, went out recently and didn't see any.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Took a few at the arboretum today.

American Robin
ISO 1100, 400mm, f/8, 1/500sec

Downy Woodpecker (male)
ISO 800, 400mm, f/8, 1/500sec
I admit: this picture is a cheat because it's rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise. The little bird was upside-down under the branch for this shot and it just felt wrong in the picture.

Downy Woodpecker (male)
ISO 1600, 400mm, f/8, 1/500sec

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 4, 2014

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Yeah, didn't see any snowys out there this time around. They don't always choose Boundary Bay, I think - it was definitely a new story when a few of them settled in a couple of years ago. If I'm planning to go again I'll drop you a line VB.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Yeah I got a some mediocre photos in 2012 when they where there (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bryntassell/6937476271/) but was kind of awful. People where being really stupid and kind of put me off of being there.

ntrepid
Oct 11, 2004
Uh..
Went out to Riverfront Park today for my first attempt at tracking birds in flight. Came away with a few that I was very happy with.

Vertical Profile by ntrepid, on Flickr

Flight by ntrepid, on Flickr

Ring-billed Gull by ntrepid, on Flickr

Top Profile by ntrepid, on Flickr

Ring-billed Gull by ntrepid, on Flickr

American Robin by ntrepid, on Flickr

and one that was just too cool to not post..

Riverfront Beech Fork 616 by ntrepid, on Flickr

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Snapped this mediocre picture off the North Beach at Discovery Park here in Seattle today on a very cold morning. I have no idea what this is. I've never seen one before and I've been trying to figure out what it is.

ISO 400 400mm f/8 1/500sec

I snagged this one while I was attempting to catch the seagulls in flight. I didn't expect any of the pictures to be interesting or usable until I looked at it in lightroom.

ISO 200 400mm f/8 1/1000sec

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Kenshin posted:

ISO 400 400mm f/8 1/500sec

Female common merganser. One of the bad hair day ducks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

I had my first sighting of a bittern that wasn't flying away or slinking into the reeds yesterday:

american-bittern by Redwood Planet, on Flickr
That's the only shot of it I got with any direct light hitting it, but these things walk around like a Kiwi imitating a Monty Python silly walk when they hunt.

A male Red-shouldered Hawk was making a ton of noise at Arcata Marsh yesterday. I couldn't figure out if it was distressed, having a territorial dispute or trying to attract a mate. After walking around for a while, I saw the female emerge from some willows with a very full crop

red-shoulder-crop by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Then the male followed holding the remains of a duck

red-shoulder-duck by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

I went back today to see if I could catch them together again, and sure enough we have a new couple at the marsh.

hawk-couple by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Some more assorted pics-

ruddy-sunset by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

kite-diving by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

ruddy-smile by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

peep-sleep by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Somebody's starting to get his big boy colors

boy-harrier by Redwood Planet, on Flickr