Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Overtime is still permitted during sequestration, but not on a furlough day, and not just because you can't get your work done in a 32hr work week. It's only allowed for genuine after-hours work, like if an IT has to come in at 3am on a sunday morning and spend 4 hours troubleshooting a server, he could get AUO for that on top of 32hrs normal pay.

A lot of shops only got by before due to personnel working 50+ hrs a week. That's all come to a very painful screeching halt. For workers who become accustomed to treating regularly worked OT as part of their paycheck, the furlough cuts are especially painful. When I was promoted, I left a shop where I worked a lot of OT and started work in a command with a pretty straight 40-hr week. I hadn't worked OT every week before the promotion, just fits and spurts so that I didn't really realize what a big impact it had on my finances. My pay increased significantly with the promotion, but I ended up actually earning less overall than I'd done before.

grover fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Our scamming electrician who only does real work outside of business hours (even when it could be done during business hours) is crying hard right now because they refuse to approve any overtime.

kys
Dec 8, 2007

Let's run this shit down to sea level!
Customs is on a different OT schedule than AUO known as COPRA but same GS scale. We don't have guaranteed OT but ours
is more lucrative as it pays DOUBLE your hourly wage. Also, our OT isn't quite as on the chopping block
as Border Patrol.

I came in as a GS-5 in San Diego (around 35k/yr including COLA). I didn't receive any differential/OT
until a few months after the academy and OT is spotty in some places, unless you're at the Southwest. Here, you can work 8 hours of overtime EVERY SINGLE DAY. Not too bad when we also get automatic GS-12.

Another thing to consider is shift pay and holiday pay. If you work the night shift 4pm-midnight, you get 15% of your
Base Pay added. Holiday Pay pays double pay, so people like doing 16hr shifts for double pay.
At a GS-12 that's around $70 an hour.

So a GS-12 in San Diego earns 75k a year and with night differential and holiday pay thats an easy 90k. No OT included.

kys fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 3, 2013

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

kys posted:

Customs is on a different OT schedule than AUO known as COPRA but same GS scale. We don't have guaranteed OT but ours
is more lucrative as it pays DOUBLE your hourly wage. Also, our OT isn't quite as on the chopping block
as Border Patrol.

I came in as a GS-5 in San Diego (around 35k/yr including COLA). I didn't receive any differential/OT
until a few months after the academy and OT is spotty in some places, unless you're at the Southwest. Here, you can work 8 hours of overtime EVERY SINGLE DAY. Not too bad when we also get automatic GS-12.

Another thing to consider is shift pay and holiday pay. If you work the night shift 4pm-midnight, you get 15% of your
Base Pay added. Holiday Pay pays double pay, so people like doing 16hr shifts for double pay.
At a GS-12 that's around $70 an hour.

So a GS-12 in San Diego earns 75k a year and with night differential and holiday pay thats an easy 90k. No OT included.

Sounds like I applied to the right agency. Coincidentally, I'm going to San Diego for my test on the 21st. I would absolutely love to be stationed in San Diego since I spent four years there for undergrad. Then again, I suppose a lot of people like San Diego too, so I should prepare for the rear end end of nowhere.

kys
Dec 8, 2007

Feed Me A Cat posted:

Sounds like I applied to the right agency. Coincidentally, I'm going to San Diego for my test on the 21st. I would absolutely love to be stationed in San Diego since I spent four years there for undergrad. Then again, I suppose a lot of people like San Diego too, so I should prepare for the rear end end of nowhere.

Lucky for you, San Ysidro (San Diego) is hiring like crazy as it's undergoing a huge expansion right now. Chances are you will be in San Diego after all.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

kys posted:

Lucky for you, San Ysidro (San Diego) is hiring like crazy as it's undergoing a huge expansion right now. Chances are you will be in San Diego after all.

As encouraging as that news is, I just realized I applied for the "west coast" geographical preference and San Ysidro is under "southwest." Now I get to play the fun game of deciding whether I want to try and get that changed; also weighing the risk of not getting San Ysidro and getting stationed somewhere terrible :ohdear: Oh well. Got to pass this first round of testing before I get all worked up.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I tried applying for the CBP stuff but once I got to the test-taking thing it would only give me actual dates for the written exam for two of the five places I tried to select, and both of those were at times/in places precisely when I could not be at them, so that was a little disappointing.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Press is saying DoD furloughs have been reduced to 6 days; next week should be the last. I'm not expecting the hiring freeze to lift until we're out of sequestration, though.

squelch
Mar 8, 2005

KILL KILL KILL HURR
I'm 27, and have a pipe dream of being an FBI special agent.

I'm a Marine Corps veteran with a 50% service-connected disability rating. None of this is for psychological issues or other horrible physical impairments that affect my ability to "run, jump, and play." My job in the military was "technical," three deployments as a field radio operator, one of which was as an assistant section chief for an artillery radio communications section. I also did a two and a half year tour as a radio communications instructor (those in the know: not at MCCES but for the JTAC course, other combined-arms related courses, to incidental radio operators, and to NCO-level communications planning courses. The latter two I did as chief instructor for the course, and got a Navy Achievement Medal for it). I have 8 1/2 years of total service, honorable discharge, etc etc.

I'm currently a mathematics and science major in junior college intending to transfer into the UC system for electrical engineering. I'm in the college honors program (and on the honors student council), mostly to "grease the wheels" for my eventual transfer into a UC engineering program. I am not anticipating graduation / entry into the workforce until I'm at least 30, probably 2016-2017.

There are minor things that would come up on a TS/SCI security clearance screening, entirely related to familial associations (I have an incarcerated father) and not directly related to my own actions; my record is squeaky clean and this includes drug use.

Roughly how hosed am I in terms of realistically achieving such a job?

edit: amplifying information added.

squelch fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 7, 2013

kys
Dec 8, 2007

Feed Me A Cat posted:

As encouraging as that news is, I just realized I applied for the "west coast" geographical preference and San Ysidro is under "southwest." Now I get to play the fun game of deciding whether I want to try and get that changed; also weighing the risk of not getting San Ysidro and getting stationed somewhere terrible :ohdear: Oh well. Got to pass this first round of testing before I get all worked up.

San Ysidro is actually known as a less desirable station. The wait times are horrendous and Management gets a lot of
pressure from DC to bring it down. The Overtime is plentiful because of this and Mandatory Overtime is very common.

It's like a huge checkpoint in between two sprawling cities and less like an International Border Crossing like any
airport. For example, no one flies to LAX or SFO to buy dogfood because it's cheaper at Wal-Mart than in Mexico.

You might be better off sticking to the West Coast Preference.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

kys posted:

San Ysidro is actually known as a less desirable station. The wait times are horrendous and Management gets a lot of
pressure from DC to bring it down. The Overtime is plentiful because of this and Mandatory Overtime is very common.

It's like a huge checkpoint in between two sprawling cities and less like an International Border Crossing like any
airport. For example, no one flies to LAX or SFO to buy dogfood because it's cheaper at Wal-Mart than in Mexico.

You might be better off sticking to the West Coast Preference.

Good to know. I'll stick with west coast and suck it up if they end up sticking me in Nevada.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

grover posted:

Press is saying DoD furloughs have been reduced to 6 days; next week should be the last. I'm not expecting the hiring freeze to lift until we're out of sequestration, though.

It's not just the press, we got an official memo from the secdef yesterday saying the same.

FlyWhiteBoy
Jul 13, 2004
I'm a contractor currently that could be moving into the GS system. I interviewed last week and would be moving across the country for a GS-11 position at age 27. Seems like a good move from my end and I'm hoping I can transfer easily once I get my foot in the door. I see a lot of postings on USA jobs that require to already be in GS.

Sleepy Robot
Mar 24, 2006
instant constitutional scholar, just add astonomist
I'll be separating from the Air Force in 6 months, I'm at a loss of what I'll do when I get out. I have a TS/SCI clearance which I want to use in the civilian workforce, but my AFSC is in "weather forecasting". I'm considering getting some certs with my GI bill and working in Comm for SAIC or a similar company.

I figure if I'm going to get anything out of my clearance, this might be the best path...is it?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Sleepy Robot posted:

I'll be separating from the Air Force in 6 months, I'm at a loss of what I'll do when I get out. I have a TS/SCI clearance which I want to use in the civilian workforce, but my AFSC is in "weather forecasting". I'm considering getting some certs with my GI bill and working in Comm for SAIC or a similar company.

I figure if I'm going to get anything out of my clearance, this might be the best path...is it?

Is that AFSC GIS-related? I've seen a lot of that come up in a lot of contexts.

Sleepy Robot
Mar 24, 2006
instant constitutional scholar, just add astonomist

VideoTapir posted:

Is that AFSC GIS-related? I've seen a lot of that come up in a lot of contexts.

As far as I'm aware, the weather platforms we use (primarily MarkIVB and AFW-WEBS) aren't related to GIS =/
The most I've got going for me coming out of the military is my clearance, 4 years of military experience, and some decent recommendations from Majors/Colonels who I worked side-by-side with. Despite that I'm going to have to make an entry into a completely new career field in which I have no experience, and I expect it will be a huge challenge. It would be great to know what to shoot for, i/e what options might be available to me.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Sleepy Robot posted:

As far as I'm aware, the weather platforms we use (primarily MarkIVB and AFW-WEBS) aren't related to GIS =/
The most I've got going for me coming out of the military is my clearance, 4 years of military experience, and some decent recommendations from Majors/Colonels who I worked side-by-side with. Despite that I'm going to have to make an entry into a completely new career field in which I have no experience, and I expect it will be a huge challenge. It would be great to know what to shoot for, i/e what options might be available to me.

Actually, your 5 points are your biggest asset for hiring. As far as what you can apply for, apply for anything you think you'd enjoy. Once you get your career status, it's much easier to transfer between agencies

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Actually, your 5 points are your biggest asset for hiring.

This man speaks the truth:

quote:

By law, veterans are placed in preference categories. Since there were a sufficient number of qualified veterans in a higher preference category, your resume was not considered for this vacancy.

I should have just commissioned after undergrad instead of enduring another round of schooling :sigh:

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Yeah, 2 wars will (unfortunately for them) produce a shitton of 10 point veterans. It's amazing that now 5 point veterans are being passed up due to the sheer amount of 10 pointers.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Yeah, 2 wars will (unfortunately for them) produce a shitton of 10 point veterans. It's amazing that now 5 point veterans are being passed up due to the sheer amount of 10 pointers.

Man, that's lose-lose all around.

Womacks-JP-23
May 15, 2013

Couple questions

1. Is it best to spam an agency with applications for every position I'm interested in or submit just one at a time?
2. I'm applying from outside the US, how big of a problem is that?
3. I also have a foreign spouse (Japanese), how big of a problem could this be in terms of getting security clearance. For example, could I potentially be passed up because they don't want to bother with waiting a few extra months for my security clearance to come through?

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.

Womacks-JP-23 posted:

Couple questions

1. Is it best to spam an agency with applications for every position I'm interested in or submit just one at a time?
2. I'm applying from outside the US, how big of a problem is that?
3. I also have a foreign spouse (Japanese), how big of a problem could this be in terms of getting security clearance. For example, could I potentially be passed up because they don't want to bother with waiting a few extra months for my security clearance to come through?

No. It won't have any bearing on getting hired. Though, certain intelligence related jobs will be significantly more difficult to get with a foreign spouse. For the other 95% of jobs, clearances will just take a little longer.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Womacks-JP-23 posted:

Couple questions

I don't know about because of the spouse, but my background check took literally a year to go through, but I still had my job.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
So I posted in the State thread about this internship I've been offered in Department of State and I am trying to figure out whether or not this would be the best thing for me to do. It is within the branch of the State Department I want to ultimately work for and it would activate my clearance. However I would likely be out a months rent from having to reneg on my apartment lease, I'd lose my Graduate Assistantship (only $5k a semester) for my final semester, would need to take out a large amount in loans to support myself, and uproot myself from Norfolk to the NOVA area.

My faculty head seems to think that I should instead try to pursue an internship as a researcher here at the Joint Forces Staff College here in town, and while this would be an easier alternative, wondering if it is the smarter alternative given my career goal.

I have been leaning more towards accepting this internship than not, but would welcome any advice, especially from DoS goons.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I think the Department of State looks more impressive than the NDU anyways, and given that you also want to work for State, I'd take it.

edit: But look, this internship is not everything and if taking it would put you in financial trouble, it's probably not worth it.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 20, 2013

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Xandu posted:

I think the Department of State looks more impressive than the NDU anyways, and given that you also want to work for State, I'd take it.

edit: But look, this internship is not everything and if taking it would put you in financial trouble, it's probably not worth it.

Wouldn't exactly put me in financial trouble, would just mean I'd have to take more out in student loans. Whether or not it constitutes as financial trouble would hinge on securing a job at the end of all this which is never a guarantee. And since this is the closest I've gotten in 5 years to employment with DoS, I am a little more inclined to take that risk.

And hell, if it activates the clearance I've been cleared for since '11, that could only improve my employment chances I'd imagine.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Gravel Gravy posted:

Wouldn't exactly put me in financial trouble, would just mean I'd have to take more out in student loans. Whether or not it constitutes as financial trouble would hinge on securing a job at the end of all this which is never a guarantee. And since this is the closest I've gotten in 5 years to employment with DoS, I am a little more inclined to take that risk.

And hell, if it activates the clearance I've been cleared for since '11, that could only improve my employment chances I'd imagine.

Don't know how much being pre-cleared would help you at State, but it makes it a lot easier to get contractor jobs in the DC area (as long as you want to work for a government, defense, or intel contractor, anyway.)

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Gravel Gravy posted:

I'd personally take the DoS gig.

It allows you to see if DoS really is for you, which could be a huge potential savings if you find you don't like State. It also opens the door via networking for other USG entities.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Gravel Gravy posted:

If your clearance is DoD, it may not transfer if you gain full-time employment for DoS. For interns and contractors, they'll reciprocate, but for many of their positions that require a TS or higher (including the Foreign Service, if I'm not mistaken) they'll make you go through the entire process again.

psydude fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 21, 2013

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
I would listen to the advice of actual DS employees over mine, but I did notice that in my experience, the Venn diagram of "people who interned at State" and "people who actually work full time for State" is basically 2 circles...

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

psydude posted:

If your clearance is DoD, it may not transfer if you gain full-time employment for DoS. For interns and contractors, they'll reciprocate, but for many of their positions that require a TS or higher (including the Foreign Service, if I'm not mistaken) they'll make you go through the entire process again.

The clearance was done through DoS originally so hopefully that won't be too big an issue.

hitension posted:

I would listen to the advice of actual DS employees over mine, but I did notice that in my experience, the Venn diagram of "people who interned at State" and "people who actually work full time for State" is basically 2 circles...

That would be a pretty big con in my mind. Any idea why that is?

Also I'd like to say the name of the office alone might be worth it given what I hope to do, keywords/buzz words and all that.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 22, 2013

FlyWhiteBoy
Jul 13, 2004
I know the feds take forever. But after all candidates have been interviewed and the agency has made its selection. How long does it take for HR to do their paperwork and offer the position?

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012
I think I blew away the CBP written test, but that means other people found it easy too :ohdear: Time to wait the 2-4 weeks for that letter to show up.

Just Dont Look
Nov 6, 2007

Perhaps thou shalt dain to sup on the meaty sustenance of my loins.

FlyWhiteBoy posted:

I know the feds take forever. But after all candidates have been interviewed and the agency has made its selection. How long does it take for HR to do their paperwork and offer the position?

Here is my basic timeline with the DOD. It will differ per agency but my job closed on November 16th, I was notified that I was selected (no interview) on December 7th and received my tentative offer on the 11th. I had to run around and do tons of paperwork before a final offer was extended on the 18th. I started working January 28th.

It shouldn't really take all that long after you're selected.. in a perfect world.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Just Dont Look posted:

Here is my basic timeline with the DOD. It will differ per agency but my job closed on November 16th, I was notified that I was selected (no interview) on December 7th and received my tentative offer on the 11th. I had to run around and do tons of paperwork before a final offer was extended on the 18th. I started working January 28th.

It shouldn't really take all that long after you're selected.. in a perfect world.
They hired you without an interview?

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

grover posted:

It happens. I was hired without an interview at my current agency because there were 40+ people on the cert list my manager received. I was a status candidate transferring from another agency.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

hitension posted:

I know some officers who were former interns so at least, there is some intersection.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I was hired without an interview too. My agency was hiring a ton of new people so we just got the exam and then the offer.

Just Dont Look
Nov 6, 2007

Perhaps thou shalt dain to sup on the meaty sustenance of my loins.

grover posted:

Yep, I was surprised myself. I was a contractor but I'd never worked with this particular organization or been a federal employee. I'm not sure if being a vet allowed them to check some block and forgo an interview but that was the way of it. I believe the agency's policy changed shortly after and another guy that hired on in June had to go through the whole process including an interview.

Sorting through the FedSoup forums leads me to believe that not having an interview isn't all that rare. Uncommon for sure.. but not rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhoge
Sep 10, 2008
As a college student going into my last year of studies, any suggestions on when I should be looking at the recent graduates postings for jobs that would (hopefully) start in the summer of next year? I assume that's what the Pathways programs are for, but it doesn't seem like there are many/any postings for that hiring period yet.