Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Penguissimo posted:

If your phone is stuck on the bootloader screen, you can use RSD Lite to flash an .sbf, but you'll pretty much end up back at stock and have to re-root and everything again.

That's fine, as long as I can get the phone to work. I'll take a phone that can receive calls at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Kreeblah posted:

It looks like the WiMAX changes have been merged into the CM7 tree, so they should be available in tonight's build. :woop:

Awesome.

I'm still running the RC1, and it seems to have gotten much more stable after doing the ClockworkMod "Permissions Reset".

Let us know how tonights nightly runs...I know I've heard too many horror stories about how unstable the WiMax builds are to run it right now.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
I'm still getting this crap with the android sys file running at 100% every 24 hours or so and the phone feels a lot more laggy than stock. I've re installed oxygen and it still does this. Thinking about it this was prob what caused leedroid to lag out as well. So whatever it is its persistent across diff roms. Any chance it could be a corrupt sd card?
I think I'm going to re install stock, what's the best way to do this, should I just try and recover from the backup I made or get the stock rom off xda?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Solly posted:

I'm still getting this crap with the android sys file running at 100% every 24 hours or so and the phone feels a lot more laggy than stock. I've re installed oxygen and it still does this. Thinking about it this was prob what caused leedroid to lag out as well. So whatever it is its persistent across diff roms. Any chance it could be a corrupt sd card?
I think I'm going to re install stock, what's the best way to do this, should I just try and recover from the backup I made or get the stock rom off xda?

What Android sys file are you talking about?

And yes, a bad SD card could slow poo poo down if you're using SWAP or A2SD, which I believe you are.

You're a Desire, right? or OG Droid? If you're going to use A2SD, go out and drop the $50 on a brand new class 6 microSD from a reputable company - Kingston, Sandisk, Crucial, something like that. Order it online, don't just go to Best Buy and buy one they have in stock.

On top of that, try installing Watchdog off the market. It's a psuedo-task killer, but it's not a lovely one. It doesn't auto kill tasks, it runs a service that watches CPU usage and if anything's going out of control, it alerts you so you can kill it. I rarely use it, but it's saved my battery a few times when Angry Birds decided to take up 80% CPU in the background because it's coded poorly.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Happy to see Wimax on the latest nightly. (Still has that odd submenu which has no purpose)

Anyone have more information on the HDMI cloning capabilities from #teamwin?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Just wanted to report that the Warm Z ROM for the EVO might be the fastest ROM I used yet. Sense 2.0 is super fast (why doesn't the EVO have Sense 2.0 anyway?) and it is pretty as ever. Bad is no 4G, but I don't have it in my area yet anway. Can not wait to see what the Warm guys come up with for Gingerbread. They are making some of the best Sense ROMs on the market.

If you do try it do a full wipe. I did a partial and had several issues, but after a full it worked perfect.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Confirming that CM7 nightly 6 has WiMax and it works great.

Also, if you are having problems with WiMax turning it self of shortly after you turn it on, try uninstalling SwitchPro widget. Cyanogenmod has Notification power widget built in and you can add a 4G button on it by going to:

Settings->CyanogenMod Settings->Inteface->Notifaction power widgets-> widget buttons

Now you can toggle 4G on and off in any App by bringing down your notification draw and pressing the button.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

nate fisher posted:

Can not wait to see what the Warm guys come up with for Gingerbread.

That's almost certainly going to require a Gingerbread Sense ROM from HTC, which might be a while.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Confirming that CM7 nightly 6 has WiMax and it works great.

Also, if you are having problems with WiMax turning it self of shortly after you turn it on, try uninstalling SwitchPro widget. Cyanogenmod has Notification power widget built in and you can add a 4G button on it by going to:

Settings->CyanogenMod Settings->Inteface->Notifaction power widgets-> widget buttons

Now you can toggle 4G on and off in any App by bringing down your notification draw and pressing the button.

I haven't had a problem with SwitchPro, but I have had an issue with turning off WiMAX data, which seems to kill all my other data connections, including wifi. They look like they're connected, but they can't transfer anything.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Figured I'd chime in and post that installing CM7 RC1 on my HTC Inspire 4G gave me insane battery life compared to stock. Previously I'd go to sleep and wake up and my battery would be at around 50%. Now I can dick around with the phone all day and not bother to charge it and the next day I'm still at 80%.

Rooting was definitely worth it.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

Casao posted:

What Android sys file are you talking about?

And yes, a bad SD card could slow poo poo down if you're using SWAP or A2SD, which I believe you are.

You're a Desire, right? or OG Droid? If you're going to use A2SD, go out and drop the $50 on a brand new class 6 microSD from a reputable company - Kingston, Sandisk, Crucial, something like that. Order it online, don't just go to Best Buy and buy one they have in stock.

On top of that, try installing Watchdog off the market. It's a psuedo-task killer, but it's not a lovely one. It doesn't auto kill tasks, it runs a service that watches CPU usage and if anything's going out of control, it alerts you so you can kill it. I rarely use it, but it's saved my battery a few times when Angry Birds decided to take up 80% CPU in the background because it's coded poorly.

Yea its a desire, its the main process just called android system* the one with the gears logo. I'm currently using a 16gig 4c san disk card. I'm going to try the one that came with it but that's also 4c. It also won't boot fully sometimes it just says system process force close and then crashes. I think I'm going to have to go back to stock and no a2sd but at least I can backup my less used apps and un install them I suppose

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Solly posted:

Yea its a desire, its the main process just called android system* the one with the gears logo. I'm currently using a 16gig 4c san disk card. I'm going to try the one that came with it but that's also 4c. It also won't boot fully sometimes it just says system process force close and then crashes. I think I'm going to have to go back to stock and no a2sd but at least I can backup my less used apps and un install them I suppose

Uh, what the gently caress did you do? Flash without wiping or something?

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Figured I'd chime in and post that installing CM7 RC1 on my HTC Inspire 4G gave me insane battery life compared to stock. Previously I'd go to sleep and wake up and my battery would be at around 50%. Now I can dick around with the phone all day and not bother to charge it and the next day I'm still at 80%.

Rooting was definitely worth it.

I rooted last night and using Android Revolution with no Sense.

Does CM7 have the "facebook for htc sense"? I am a huge fan of the pictures and everything htc did.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

Casao posted:

Uh, what the gently caress did you do? Flash without wiping or something?

I always wipe data cache and dalvik every time. I do wonder if clockwork is not doing it properly though it seems to wipe them much quicker than I would expect it to take.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Dirk Pitt posted:

I rooted last night and using Android Revolution with no Sense.

Does CM7 have the "facebook for htc sense"? I am a huge fan of the pictures and everything htc did.

No, CM7 uses the ADW launcher, and has no sense components.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Solly posted:

I always wipe data cache and dalvik every time. I do wonder if clockwork is not doing it properly though it seems to wipe them much quicker than I would expect it to take.

You need to also wipe system...

Edit: That is if you're doing the formats manually.

Dijkstra fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 24, 2011

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

Dijkstra posted:

What I've been doing is going into clockwork recovery from boot and under the main menu there wipe data followed by wipe cache, then under advanced I've been wiping dalvik. Are you saying I should select format system under the mounts and storage sub menu? Should I also format data and cache from the mounts and storage menu too?

If this fixes it, i'll owe you big time, this has been pissing me off for so long now.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Dijkstra posted:

No you don't. Flashing a new image qualifies as "wiping system". You don't need to do any form of wiping for that

Solly posted:

A data wipe doesn't take much time at all - it's not overwriting anything.

Also, if you're using A2SD, you need to be wiping SD-EXT.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

Casao posted:

No you don't. Flashing a new image qualifies as "wiping system". You don't need to do any form of wiping for that

That makes sense. Is it better to wipe the cache and data from the main menu or format them under mounts and storage or does it make no difference?

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Casao posted:

Are you sure? Maybe I'm thinking of going from EXT3 to 4.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Solly posted:

That makes sense. Is it better to wipe the cache and data from the main menu or format them under mounts and storage or does it make no difference?

Formatting will rewrite the partition, I wouldn't touch that. Choose the Wipe Cache/Data option.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Dijkstra posted:

Are you sure? Maybe I'm thinking of going from EXT3 to 4.

Yes. The format options make a new partition, so you'd format to go from 3 to 4.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Casao posted:

Yes. The format options make a new partition, so you'd format to go from 3 to 4.

Yeah I haven't flashed a phone in weeks and have been loving with my NC too much, sorry to confuse you Solly.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Is sending MMS messages broken for anyone else using the CM7 nightlies?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just went on a short road trip and couldn't get the GPS to work on my phone (EVO CM 7.0), is this a Cyanogenmod issue or is there just something hosed up with my GPS?

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

Casao posted:

Wait a sec by wipe do you mean format the sd-ext? I cant seem to find a wipe option anywhere. I assume formatting the sd-ext wont ruin the partition because if it did it may as well just say format sd card as opposed to format a partition of it?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Solly posted:

Wait a sec by wipe do you mean format the sd-ext? I cant seem to find a wipe option anywhere. I assume formatting the sd-ext wont ruin the partition because if it did it may as well just say format sd card as opposed to format a partition of it?

Formating SD-Ext won't ruin the partition, it'll just recreate it, wouldn't touch the rest of the SD card.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

Casao posted:

Formating SD-Ext won't ruin the partition, it'll just recreate it, wouldn't touch the rest of the SD card.

Ok good stuff, but thinking about it this probably wont make a blind bit of difference since I recreated the partition before I changed to oxygen anyway. I'm still going to try it, but I don't hold out much hope.

If this fails can I get back to stock by just doing a recovery from the backup I made before I flashed any roms, or is it more complicated than that?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

explosivo posted:

I just went on a short road trip and couldn't get the GPS to work on my phone (EVO CM 7.0), is this a Cyanogenmod issue or is there just something hosed up with my GPS?

GPS is still hit and miss for a lot of people in CM7, even across people with the same device. You should go back to a stable rom if you really depend on it.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Civil posted:

GPS is still hit and miss for a lot of people in CM7, even across people with the same device. You should go back to a stable rom if you really depend on it.

FWIW, it's been working on nightly revs 4 and 5 of CM 7 with my wife's Slide. It was broken for her with prior revs including RC1.

pro con
Sep 14, 2008

Lowen SoDium posted:

Is sending MMS messages broken for anyone else using the CM7 nightlies?

If you're using ATT, check your APN settings. On my Nexus One, it wipes the APN data down to just enough to get data after a flash.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Solly posted:

Ok good stuff, but thinking about it this probably wont make a blind bit of difference since I recreated the partition before I changed to oxygen anyway. I'm still going to try it, but I don't hold out much hope.

If this fails can I get back to stock by just doing a recovery from the backup I made before I flashed any roms, or is it more complicated than that?

It should be that simple, yes. You'd need to restore your recover as well if you want to receive regular OTA updates in the future, or you can keep the custom one and wait for a rooted stock update.zip to come out (usually a few hours after the official OTA).

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

pro con posted:

If you're using ATT, check your APN settings. On my Nexus One, it wipes the APN data down to just enough to get data after a flash.

Nope, I am an EVO user on Sprint.

I can't even find were the APN settings are in CM7

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Sizzlechest posted:

FWIW, it's been working on nightly revs 4 and 5 of CM 7 with my wife's Slide. It was broken for her with prior revs including RC1.
I try not to get caught in the trap of flashing nightlies. If I get a nightly rom that has full functionality with the features I want, I try to stick with it until there's a feature compelling enough to move. Either that, or if they do a RC or stable.

That nightly flashing for the sake of it is for the birds.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Nope, I am an EVO user on Sprint.

I can't even find were the APN settings are in CM7

I don't think APN is a thing in the CDMA world.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

brc64 posted:

I don't think APN is a thing in the CDMA world.

That might explain why I can't find them.

For what it's worth, I can send and receive SMS, Data works fine. I can receive MMS, but I can't send MMS.

Does anyone else have this issue or is it just me?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Lowen SoDium posted:

That might explain why I can't find them.

For what it's worth, I can send and receive SMS, Data works fine. I can receive MMS, but I can't send MMS.

Does anyone else have this issue or is it just me?

I occasionally have trouble sending MMS messages if I'm connected to wifi. As soon as I disconnect, they go through. That's with an EVO running the latest Fresh. Could something similar be happening to you?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
Is there a way to extract your contacts from a clockworkmod/nandroid backup without reflashing the phone? I bit the bullet last night and got Cyanogenmod for my CDMA Desire and I'm really liking it, except my contacts are all sorts of hosed up now :shobon: Wouldn't be so bad if I could edit contacts pulled from gmail and facebook :argh:

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

two_beer_bishes posted:

Does anyone know where app installation files are downloaded to?

Anybody know this? For more info, I have a rooted Evo running Fresh :)

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Capn Beeb posted:

Is there a way to extract your contacts from a clockworkmod/nandroid backup without reflashing the phone? I bit the bullet last night and got Cyanogenmod for my CDMA Desire and I'm really liking it, except my contacts are all sorts of hosed up now :shobon: Wouldn't be so bad if I could edit contacts pulled from gmail and facebook :argh:

You can edit Google contacts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

brc64 posted:

I occasionally have trouble sending MMS messages if I'm connected to wifi. As soon as I disconnect, they go through. That's with an EVO running the latest Fresh. Could something similar be happening to you?

I thought that might be the issue at first, but I shut off wifi, deleted the outbound message, and restarted the phone, then tried to send another MMS with wifi off and it still didn't work. It just sits on sending forever.